Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Doriath (B2MEM 2011)  by Kaylee Arafinwiel

Summary: An uncle and niece write to each other concerning the giving of hearts.

A/N: An expansion on "Dear Adar and Naneth..." my Yulefic for Levade in 2010, where little Earendil offered to wed Elwing when they were grown.

Dear Uncle Cel,

Nurse says it is not proper for me to call you so. She says I should call you Prince Celeborn, or my Prince, as Adar and Naneth did, though they were King and Queen. I just wanted to know if it was all right.

I have met a very interesting boy. His name is Earendil, and he is different, like I am, not a real elf. His ada is not even an elf. His ada, who he calls Atto, is a Man, Lord Tuor.

He offered to share his parents with me. Actually, he said I could marry him, even though Ada and Nana wished for me to marry my cousin. I do not know where my cousin is, and he said if I was his wife, I could climb trees and fight with swords, and no one would care. Lord Tuor and Princess Idril said I might call them Atya and Emya, and that they would have me for daughter and their son's bride, when I am twenty.

What do you and Auntie think of that, Uncle Cel?

Love,

Elwing, Princess of Doriath

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My dear niece,

Of course it is quite all right to call me Uncle Cel in private letters. I can see why Lady Saelrien would be upset about your doing so in public, but after all, you are a princess; a princess without a realm. Doriath is no more. Be a child while you can, my dear one; you will grow all too quickly.

You have met the son of Tuor and Idril, and he has asked for your hand? Well then, that quite proves my point. I am glad you have someone about your age to be friends with, and in time, yes, perhaps more. I have been to see Oropher and Vehiron; they agree that your betrothal to Saeldur is no longer needful unless you should wish it, and since you do not, it is all right. By the looks of things, you will grow to womanhood sooner than he is an ellon grown, and it is better for you to wed someone whose pace matches more easily with yours. You have my blessings, and your aunt Galadriel's.

With much love,

Uncle Cel,

Lord Celeborn, once Prince of Doriath

__._,_.___

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List