Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Not So Happy Returns  by Soledad

Not So Happy Returns

by Soledad

Disclaimer: see in the Foreword.

Author’s note: I borrowed the idea of Anairë housing in the Southern Fiefdoms from Fiondil. In the earlier versions Fingon had various children, both sons and daughters that were later rejected.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

December 02 – Atonement

The ship took her to Avallónë, where she was welcomed by her daughters, Erien and Ernis, who had remained in Aman, in their anammë Anairë’s house, never having joined the rebellion of the Noldor. They were overjoyed to see her again after an entire Age – more so as they could not hope to be reunited with their atar and their brothers any time soon.

“Come with us to the Southern Fiefdoms,” they asked her. “Anammë has been waiting anxiously for news about the fate of her children.”

But Merilindë shook her head and said, “I cannot, my children. I am not allowed to go any further than Tol Eressëa; nor do I wish to. Aman is no longer my home, and I would not have Sailed at all had my sons not been slain by the Enemy. This isle, which is as close to my true home as any place on this side of the Bent Sea can ever hope to be, shall be my refuge. This is where I shall wait for the return of your brothers.”

“What about Atto?” her daughters asked.

Merilindë’s face became cold and hard as the ice of the Helcaraxë that she had once crossed in the hope of a new beginning.

“Your atar has forfeited the right to be mourned and waited for,” she declared. “From now on I shall lead my own life.”

And she had a house built on Tol Eressëa and planted a great korin of elm trees around it, and there she lived forthwith in Kortirion, the Lady of Tol Eressëa as she was called, and her house stood open for everyone coming from Ennorath for the next two Ages.

~Fin~

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was asked to add a word of explanation, so here it goes:

Merlilindë (aka Meril-i-Turinqi) is Fingon's wife and the mother of Gil-galad, among other, older children, some of whom are alive, others already slain in Middle-earth. As I mentioned in the Foreword, I use the Silmarillion version of Gil-galad's parentage. Therefore Fingolfin and Anairë are the grandparents of her children.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List