Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Rise and Fall of Beleriand: A Collection  by Encaitariel

The full title of this work of mostly (non)sense is:

The Rise and Fall of Beleriand, being a faithful and unchronilogical chronicle of the elvish kingdoms of the first and second ages of middle earth, by one who was not there.

OR

Encaitariel’s Guide to Nargothrond and Its Denizens

AKA

Opuscule quod non sequitur
(Known to my computer merely as "WIVN?!")

But seriously, it is just a collection of trifles.

Author’s Note:

Way back in the early part of the Last Age (or so it seems), I began posting (what I had planned to be) a series of stories about Gildor Inglorion. Eventually, Real Earth began interfering with Middle Earth (as it is wont to do) and I ceased posting. Indeed, for a time I had ceased serious writing altogether. However, those characters (and not a few whom you have not yet had the dubious pleasure of meeting) would not remain silent, and gradually bits and pieces of their lives began to emerge. Bits and pieces which I would jot down here, there or on my computer; for all intents and purposes, there to remain as a disjointed, unfinished mish-mash of thoughts. Many times over the past few years I have felt the desire to continue where I have left off, if only for my own sake, but one thing or another always got in the way.
Recently, though, I have been revisiting Anglo-Saxon history in anticipation of the impending release of The Professor’s Beowulf. As a result, since I have always seen Tolkien’s Magnum Opus as being Art Imitating Life, the voices are clamoring once more, and Lindan, especially, is demanding why I have not finished his story. And who am I to argue with my own creation, yes? So I have been revisiting my old Inglorion files, my self-critique of which I will not belabor here. Suffice to say, I have begun a process of revision and expansion. I have, however, determined that I will not post any of that until it in some way resembles completion, as I have never forgiven myself for apparently not completing what I had started.
Which brings us, in a long-winded and roundabout manner, to the present work. This will be just as the (not in anyway pretentious or tongue-in-cheek) title states above: an unapologetic, unchronilogically arranged, collection of bits. These will vary in length and structure and mood (and interest, I daresay). These are the bits that I have collected (and continue to collect) about my Nargothrond and those Elves who inhabit her: some are character sketches, some (unposted) responses to challenge prompts I have seen here or there, and some are just bits of scene to flesh out relationships. Some will never been seen outside of these chapters, but others may eventually find a place and context within a larger work.
I hope also that you may find some pleasure in these little bits and glimpses: for this is indeed the backbone of my Nargothrond.
As always, I thank you ahead of time for taking the time and attention to read.
~ Encaitariel ~

...
 
List of Characters:
(* Denotes an Original Character)

*Anórel - an elleth of Ossiriand, sister of Dórion
*Dórion - an ellon of Ossiriand, brother of Anórel
*Ereglas - a lord of Nargothrond, brother of Silmë
Finduilas - daughter of Orodreth, a Lady of Nargothrond
Finrod - king of Nargothrond
Gildor - foster-son of Finrod
*Lindan - a Lindarin Lord of Nargothrond
*Silmë - a lady of Nargothrond, sister of Ereglas





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List