Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Once Upon a Time in Lindon  by Sarcastic Elf

Disclaimer: LOTR and all related characters were created by J.R.R. Tolkien. No money is being made off this fic.
Spoilers: The Hobbit spoilers in the author's notes.


Chapter 7

Elrond could not remember when he had been under so much pressure as he was as he tended to Thranduil. He did not really notice much around him, he was so focused on staunching the blood flow from the deep wound. He was nervous. Though Tulco had many times praised his every growing skills as a healer, Elrond had never treated a friend for anything this serious.

Elrond was grateful for the assistance he received while treating the young prince. Laredith and Leoryn had quickly retrieved any supplies he needed, while Oropher kept his son calm and still. Gil-galad and his guards had set up a perimeter around the group to keep any curious people away. Even so, Elrond was very relieved when Rhaenyc and a few other men began shooing the crowed away and he could no longer feel their eyes boring into him.

Thranduil had lost consciousness by the time Elrond began carefully stitching up the wound. Elrond felt this was good, for the most part, as Thranduil was very weak and Elrond feared giving him a sedative would put him into a dangerously deep sleep.

Once he finished with injury on Thranduil's side, Elrond changed the bandages on the young Elf's shoulder.

It was with a deep sigh of relief that Elrond finally finished treating Thranduil. He sat back, gratefully accepting the clean basin of water Laredith gave him to clean his hands. Finally, Elrond turned to Oropher, to answer the question that was no doubt on his mind.

"Your son will be well," Elrond said.

Though the Sindarin Elf said nothing, Elrond saw the immense gratitude in Oropher's eyes. Elrond smiled slightly and nodded in silent acknowledgement.

Rhaenyc volunteered Gur's tent for their use, as it was the largest tent in the camp and now unoccupied. Elrond and Oropher made Thranduil as comfortable as possible and prepared to wait as long as necessary for the young Elf to heal enough to travel. Oropher had wanted to take his son back to the city the next day, but Elrond had warned against it.

"He has lost far too much blood in the past couple of days," Elrond had said. "It would be better not to risk reopening any of his injuries."

So it was that two the of Elven guards stayed in the human settlement with Thranduil, Elrond, and Oropher while Gil-galad rode out with the rest to return to the city. The King promised to have food and supplies sent. Before he left, though, Gil-galad invited Rhaenyc, who had been elected leader by a near unanimous vote, to accompany the others when they returned so that they could speak about the future of Rhaenyc's people.

"This is a large land," Gil-galad told the man. "Room enough for all of us. We shall see."

During their stay, Oropher and Elrond rarely left Thranduil's side. When they did leave, it was very briefly and never both at once, even with the other Elves present.

Leoryn was a constant presence around the Elves' tent, coming at the request of his mother, and sometimes on his own, to check on Thranduil's condition. He and Thranduil became genial enough. They spoke during some of his visits with Elrond as translator.

Rhaenyc also visited to look in on Thranduil, though he was very busy with his new role as leader. His first order of business was to deal with Gur's men. He decided to show them mercy and give them a second chance, but warned that if they betrayed his trust, the penalties would be severe. He was also trying to prepare for his visit with Gil-galad. As it was, Rhaenyc was caught completely off guard when Elrond announced only a few days later that Thranduil was well enough to travel.

"So soon?" Rhaenyc asked, incredulously. "How is that possible? Not even a full grown man could have recovered so quickly, much less a boy."

Elrond could not help but smile at Rhaenyc's shocked expression. "Elves are very hardy, even our young," Elrond replied.

Rhaenyc sighed. "Well, I suppose I'll never really be prepared to face the Elven King."

"You have no need to fear King Gil-galad," Elrond replied. "He is a just king. All you need to do is be truthful with him."

It was a crisp morning that found the Elves and Rhaenyc preparing to leave the human camp. Rhaenyc did not like having to leave his people so soon after being elected leader, but knew it was necessary as this was their chance to finally settle in one place. There was also some concern amongst his people about their leader going alone into the Elven city. But Rhaenyc had told the people that he was doing it as a show of trust. He had also pointed out that, even if they sent all the men in the camp, it would not make much of a difference if the Elves had any ill will toward them. He had promised, though, that he would return in a week, whether or not an agreement had been made, to personally give an update.

Extra horses had been brought from city for Elrond and Thranduil, along with the supplies. Elrond had been very relieved when he learned that his own horse had made it back to the city and would be well. He had then felt a tinge of sadness that the same could not be said for Thranduil's horse. The young Elf had been rather depressed about his faithful steed, even after Oropher promised him a new one. As depression could be just as dangerous to an Elf as any injury, Elrond was thankful that between Oropher, Leoryn, and himself, they were able to keep Thranduil's spirits up for the most part.

Thranduil had refused to ride in a litter and Elrond and Oropher conceded with the condition the he rode with his father. Rhaenyc was offered use of the extra horse and gratefully accepted.

Oropher quickly mounted his horse and then reached down for his son. With Elrond's help, Thranduil was able to mount with only a little pain. But even that had exhausted him and he settled back against his father's strong chest with a sigh.

"I cannot wait to get back into the city and into a nice, soft bed," Thranduil muttered.

"Even with all that stone?" Oropher teased, carefully wrapping an arm around Thranduil's waist to keep him stable.

"It could be a cave, for all I care," Thranduil replied. "As long as the bed is soft."

"There are some fine caves around here," Elrond chimed in as he pulled his horse up beside them. "We can set you up in one of them."

"Ai! It seems I will have to watch myself around you," Thranduil replied with a smile, echoing Elrond's words.

Oropher chuckled and looked up to see Leoryn and Laredith running up to them. "Here comes your friend," he said. While he had been none too thrilled to see his son becoming friendly with a human, Oropher did not object. Especially after learning how the boy and his mother had aided Thranduil.

"We just came to see you off," Laredith said to Elrond. She was still amazed at how the same Elf that had scared her with just a look was now so easy to approach once she had gotten to know him. "And Leoryn has a gift for young Thranduil."

Leoryn stepped forward and held out a small item wrapped in a kerchief. Elrond took it and handed it to Thranduil, explaining that it was a gift. Thranduil unwrapped it to find a small wooden horse.

"I carved it myself," Leoryn said. "I hope you like it."

Thranduil smiled brightly. "Tell him 'thank you' and that it is lovely," he said to Elrond.

As Elrond translated, Thranduil unpinned his silver brooch. He handed it to Elrond. "Give this to him. My thanks for his friendship and assistance."

Elrond held out the pin to Leoryn, conveying Thranduil's message.

"Oh, he cannot accept such a fine gift," Laredith said, looking at the beautiful silver leaf.

"Thranduil insists," Elrond replied after speaking to Thranduil.

Leoryn looked at his mother for guidance. After a few moments, Laredith nodded her consent.

"I graciously accept this gift." Leoryn accepted the brooch, but held it carefully, as if it was made out of fragile glass and would shatter if held too roughly. Thranduil couldn't help but smile a bit at they boy's behavior. The brooch would easily outlast all of the boys other possessions and the possessions of his descendants.

Leoryn then cleared his throat. "Namárië, mellon nin," he said, carefully repeating the phrase Elrond had taught him.

Thranduil let out a startled laugh and quickly glanced at both his father and Elrond. Elrond leaned over and whispered something in Thranduil's ear. Thranduil nodded and took a deep breath before speaking.

"Farewell, my friend."

--

The Elves plus Rhaenyc were soon off, heading for the Elven city. They moved rather slowly, taking a leisurely pace so as not to aggravate Thranduil's injuries. The young Elf had felt guilty about slowing down the group, until Elrond had told him that Rhaenyc was probably grateful for the delay so he could better prepare himself to meet Gil-galad.

"It looks a bit like Lagor," Thranduil said, examining the wooden horse.

Oropher raised an eyebrow at this. While the horse was very well-carved, considering that Leoryn was so young (and human), Oropher did not think it looked anything like Lagor, though he did not say as much.

"I suppose I will never see them again," Thranduil continued with a sigh.

Oropher nodded. "Anything is possible," Oropher said. "But, true, it is unlikely you will see them again." While Oropher did not want his children to be cynics, he also wanted them to be realistic about matters. "At least you have something to remember him by."

Thranduil nodded and looked down at the horse again. "And he has something to remember me by."

"That was very kind of you," Oropher said. "Though I wonder if they can truly appreciate such a gift."

Thranduil shrugged. "It was the only think I could think of to give him and I am truly grateful for his help." He sighed. "It was a really nice brooch, though. But I can always get another one."

"Yes, I shall buy you which ever brooch you want when you are well enough to go to the market," Oropher promised.

"Thank you, Father," Thranduil replied, leaning back against Oropher. He looked down at the horse in his hands again. "Though, I think this is more valuable than the brooch," he continued softly. "Because he made it with his own hands."

Oropher smiled and gave Thranduil a light squeeze, being careful not to aggravate his injuries. "There are things in this world far more valuable than riches. Never forget that."

Thranduil nodded. "Yes, Father."

--

The group of Elves made it back to the city long after nightfall yet without incident. By the time they reached the city, Thranduil had fallen asleep, lulled by the gentle rocking of the horse and the feel of his Father's warmth and heartbeat. Oropher was loath to wake his son and so, with the help of Elrond, managed to get him down from the horse and into a soft, warm bed without disturbing him. Although, this worried Oropher, as his son was usually a light sleeper.

"He is very tired," Elrond said, as if reading Oropher's thoughts. "It is to be expected, considering the events of the past few days."

Elrond placed his hand on the young prince's forehead. "But he will heal, before you know it. All he needs is rest."

"And for somebody to keep him in bed for he can rest," added Oropher. "He will be up and about before it is good for him, mark my word."

Elrond chuckled slightly at this as he brushed a stray hair out of Thranduil's face. They fell into a peaceful silence, watching over Thranduil. Finally, Oropher spoke.

"You have my thanks, Lord Elrond," the future king said softly. "I would have lost my son had it not been for you. I do not know how to repay you."

Elrond smiled "No thanks is necessary. I am a healer, I strive to save lives. Especially the lives of those I consider friends."

"You have my gratitude, nonetheless," Oropher replied.

"I graciously accept, My Lord," Elrond said, bowing slightly. "Now is there anything I can get you before I retire?" Elrond knew Oropher would not be leaving his son that night.

Oropher smiled. "Perhaps you can have one of the servants bring a bottle of wine."

Elrond laughed softly. "I shall see to it personally. Perhaps I can get a bottle from King Gil-galad's personal stock."

--

As Oropher had predicted, Thranduil was indeed up and about before it was good for him. Oropher had stepped out of the room for only a few minutes to speak to Elrond and when they returned, Thranduil was gone. It did not take very long to find him, as the young prince was unable to move very fast with his still-healing injuries.

"I just wanted to get some fresh air," Thranduil said in his defense.

"You could have asked us to open the window," Elrond retorted.

"It is not the same," Thranduil said with what Elrond could only describe as a pout.

Oropher, who had been silent the entire time, stepped in front of Thranduil with a stern look on his face.

"Go-Good morning, Father," Thranduil greeted with a nervous laugh.

Without a word, Oropher scooped Thranduil up in his arms. The young prince thought that his father was going to carry him back to the room and so was very surprised when Oropher headed away from the room.

"If you could fetch us some blankets and pillows, Lord Elrond, and bring them to the garden," Oropher called as he walked away. "It would be appreciated."

Elrond was about to protest, but then, remembering Thranduil's connection with nature, decided that it would probably do him good to be out in the garden for at least a little while.

--

Oropher and Thranduil stayed for another week, while the latter recuperated and the former concluded his talks with Gil-galad. Rhaenyc had left a couple of days earlier, having come to a temporary agreement with Gil-galad. His people could stay in the site for the time being, but both wanted to eventually find a place more suitable for a permanent settlement.

With him, Rhaenyc had taken a bolt of Elvish fabric Oropher had given him as a gift for Laredith and Leoryn. While the cloth was rather plain by Elven standards, it was far finer than any man-made fabric Rhaenyc had seen.

Profusely thanking both Oropher and Gil-galad, Rhaenyc headed back to his camp, escorted by a couple of guards.

Now Oropher and Thranduil were preparing to take their leave and return to their home to prepare for the move to Greenwood.

"I wish you both a safe and pleasant journey," Gil-galad said, extending his hand in farewell.

"Thank you, King Gil-galad," Oropher replied, returning the gesture. "I thank you for your hospitality," he paused, glancing quickly over to his son who was talking to Elrond. "And I thank you for your help."

Gil-galad smiled. "May Greenwood prosper under your rule and may our realms always be friends, King Oropher."

Oropher nodded. "May your realm continue to prosper, King Gil-Galad."

"Will you come to visit us in Greenwood?" Thranduil asked Elrond as the two walked up to Oropher and Gil-galad.

"I will if at all possible, and if your father allows," Elrond replied.

"Of course I will allow it," Oropher said, placing a hand on Thranduil's shoulder. "You will always be welcomed in our home. It is the least I can do."

Elrond smiled. "How can I turn down such an invitation? Perhaps I will when you have had time to settle in."

"I will look forward to your visit," Thranduil said with a smile. "We can explore the woods together."

Yes, and there will not be any Men to harm you in my woods, Oropher thought. "Come, Thranduil," he said aloud. "It is getting late and we must be off."

Thranduil frowned slightly. "Yes, Father." He turned back to Elrond. "Farewell, Elrond, and thank you for everything."

"Farewell, Thranduil," Elrond replied, taking the younger Elf into a brief embrace. "And stay out of trouble."

Thranduil laughed as Elrond released him. "I will try, but I make no promises," he answered with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

After Thranduil bade Gil-galad farewell, the Sindarin Elves mounted their horses and were off.

"I will miss that young one," Elrond admitted as he and Gil-galad returned to the castle.

"Yes," Gil-galad replied. "He is a likable youngster."

"May the Valar grant them good fortune," Elrond continued. "They are going to need it. Founding a kingdom cannot be easy."

Gil-galad laughed. "I should say not. But Oropher is wise and strong of mind and will. If any can succeed, he can." He then cocked his head as if in deep thought. "And as neighboring kingdoms, we will have to keep up to date with the goings on of each other's realms, which means send regular messengers."

Elrond chuckled. "I would be more than happy to deliver some of the messages myself, dear King," he said with a bow as they entered Gil-galad's study.

Gil-galad raised an eyebrow. "Tulco will not be pleased," he said, retrieving a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses.

"I am sure you can find a way to persuade him to release me from my duties every once in a while," Elrond replied, accepting the glass Gil-galad handed him.

"To Greenwood," Gil-galad toasted, raising his glass.

Elrond raised his glass a well.

"To friendship."

THE END

*********************

Author's notes

  1. Yes, I did put the whole brooch thing in as a sort of beginning of Thranduil's love for shiny objects (so to speak). But, even though Thranduil likes jewels, silver, and gold, I don't think he's ruled by them. At least, that's the impression I got after reading 'The Hobbit'. After all, he was reluctant to go to battle for Smaug's treasure (and was really only fighting to get a fair share for Bard and his people) and in the end, went away with only a couple of gifts though he could have easily demanded part of Bard's share for helping them.
  2. Yes, the cave comment was intentional.
  3. Though I would like to write some more "young Elrond and Thranduil" fics (and, indeed, have several ideas for more), I cannot promise anything. But, we'll see what the future brings ^_~.
  4. Apologies for any spelling errors. I don't have a beta-reader, but I tried my best to catch them all myself. Of course, since I know what I MEANT to write, my mind corrects some of the mistakes as I re-read.
  5. Thanks to everybody for their time.




<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List