Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Once Upon a Time in Lindon  by Sarcastic Elf

Disclaimer: LOTR and all related characters were created by J.R.R. Tolkien. No money is being made off this fic.
Spoilers: None in this chapter that I can think of.


Chapter 5

Oropher and Gil-galad were sitting silently by the fire when another scout appeared at the camp.

"My King," the scout said, walking up to Gil-galad and bowing in respect.

"What have you to report?" Gil-galad asked.

"I have located a camp of humans several miles east of here," he reported.

"Humans?" Gil-galad repeated. "Why have I not heard of this before?"

"It appears to be a new camp, My Lord," replied the scout. "It appears no older that a couple of days."

"So they are traveling though these lands," Gil-galad said. "Perhaps they know something of what befell Elrond and young Thranduil."

"Or perhaps they are the ones who took my son," Oropher spoke up.

Gil-galad sighed. "We cannot jump to conclusions," he warned. "Though, I admit, that thought came to my mind as well." He rose to his feet. "I will send a few soldiers to watch the camp for the night. The rest of us will ride to the camp and question the humans at daybreak."

Oropher looked like he was going to object but said nothing. He only sighed and turned his attention to the campfire and absently began fingering his bow.

Gil-galad knew how Oropher felt. Elrond was like a son to him, and he wanted nothing more than to have him back, safe and sound. But they could hardly invade a human camp in the middle of the night. They had to approach them cautiously, for if they did take Elrond and Thranduil, they might not hesitate to kill them if they felt threatened.

Ai, Elrond, he thought. Please be safe. He turned back to the fire and observed Oropher. The other Elf had since risen from the fire and was walking over to where several others were digging a grave for Lagor. When Oropher began assisting, Gil-galad realized he was trying to keep himself busy. And please take care of the young one. I do not know if Oropher could take it if he is lost.

--

The sun had not yet risen when Rhaenyc emerged from his small tent. He headed toward Laredith's tent, hoping she and Leoryn would be up. They needed to come up with a plan for freeing the Elves. He knew Gur would not keep them around for much longer.

He reached the tent and tapped lightly on the flap. It opened a moment later to reveal Laredith. She was fully clothed and looked like she had been awake for some time already.

"I'm glad you've come," she said, as the stepped aside to allow him to enter. She spoke in a hush voice as not to wake up Leoryn. "Have you any ideas of how to free the Elrond and Thranduil?"

"I have been up all night thinking," Rhaenyc said. "This is not the first time Gur acted foolishly and I doubt it will be the last. Gur will lead our people in to ruin. I believe it is time to take a stand against him. We should try to rally the people against him. We will be able to free the Elves once Gur is out of power." He then sighed and shook his head. "But, there are several problems with this. We don't know how long we have until Gur executes them and I do not know how willing the people will be to act against Gur, especially for the sake of a couple of Elves."

"It is ridiculous!" Laredith spat out. "That we are to be held captive amongst our own people for fear of a few men. They may be strong, but we out number them. If we stood together, they would not be able to stand against us."

They conversation was interrupted by Leoryn rising from his cot. He muttered a sleepy greeting to his mother and uncle before trudging out of the tent to take care of his business.

Rhaenyc chuckled slightly, but quickly became serious again. "So now what? We're back to where we started."

Laredith shook her head. "We might just have to just sent them free as Leoryn suggested. They will probably have a better chance in the wild then here with Gur."

Leoryn suddenly dashed back into the tent, now wide awake. "Uncle Rhaenyc! Quick," he said, pointing to the opening of the tent.

Rhaenyc peered out and stiffened as he saw Gur heading to the Elves' tent with several large men in tow.

"What is it?" Laredith asked.

"We're out of time."

--

Elrond hadn't realized he had fallen asleep until he was woken by movement beside him. His eyes focused and he turned to see Thranduil using the bars of the cage to pull himself into a sitting position.

"You should be resting," he said, sitting up. He couldn't suppress a smile when he saw the prince start slightly in surprise.

"I am tired of resting," Thranduil replied, quickly recovering. "And I will not be able to truly rest until I am free." He gripped one of the wooden bars with the hand of his good arm and gave it a fierce pull. It did not budge.

"I have already tried," Elrond said as Thranduil slumped against the bars. "We have nothing with which to cut the wood and it is too strong to break with our bare hands."

"So what do we do?" Thranduil asked. "Wait until they decide to kill us or let us go or until Father and King Gil-galad rescue us? And what if they are too late?" He gave the bar another frustrated pull. "I do not like this, Elrond," he said softly. "I hate being helpless."

Elrond sighed and reached out to embrace Thranduil, but the younger Elf pulled back.

"I do not need you to coddle me like a child," Thranduil declared defiantly.

Elrond nodded and pushed himself away from Thranduil as much as he could in the small space, giving the prince some room. He realized that Thranduil was not angry at him, but at the situation. At least he seems to be over the poison for the most part, Elrond though. He will calm down soon enough, and then maybe we can think of a way to get out.

Elrond watched as Thranduil took several deep breaths and then visibly relaxed.

"Forgive me, Elrond," he said meekly. "I should not have snapped at you."

Elrond smiled. "There is nothing to forgive. I understand you are frustrated with all of this."

Thranduil shook his head. "That is no excuse. Father tells me I must learn to not let my emotions get the best of me. It will do us no good if I cannot keep a clear head."

"Then if it will make you feel better, you have my forgiveness," Elrond said with a soft smile.

Thranduil smiled. "And you have my thanks. I owe you my life."

Elrond's response was cut off when the flap of the small tent opened and Gur entered, followed by several large men.

"Well, you look hale enough," he sneered at Thranduil, though he knew the young Elf did not understand. "A pity." He motioned to the men behind him and two stepped toward the cage.

Elrond pulled Thranduil to him protectively as the men reached through the bars. But the cage was small and the men easily grabbed Thranduil by his injured arm causing the Elf to gasp in pain. Realizing that any struggle would only hurt Thranduil more, Elrond reluctantly released him. The men pulled him against the back of the cage.

"You will come quietly," said Gur as he unchanged the gate of the cage. "Or the little one will pay."

"Elrond?" Thranduil said softly. Thranduil was trying to keep his face impassive, but he could not hide the fear in his eyes.

"Peace, Thranduil," Elrond said. "Do not struggle. All will be well." Elrond spoke it for the young Elf's benefit and he desperately hoped that he would be correct.

Elrond crawled out of the cage and was immediately seized by the rest of the men and pulled to his feet. They pulled Elrond's arms behind him and bound his wrist with coarse rope. Gur closed and secured the gate and the men holding Thranduil released him. They stepped close to Elrond, backing up the men that already held him.

"I have decided," Gur said. "That I have no further use for you." He smiled nonchalantly. "So we are going to kill you."

"You do not realize what you do," Elrond said. "The king will not go easy on you for killing us unjustly."

"The penalty for trespassing on our land is death," Gur said.

"But this land is under King Gil-galad's rule," Elrond replied.

"He has enough land. It's about time he shared," Gur snapped back.

Elrond sighed, realizing that it was futile to try to reason with the man. But he had to try to save Thranduil at least.

"Let the young one go," he said. "I was his guide, I lead him onto this land. He is innocent."

Gur laughed. "No, no. I'm not about to let him lose to call the other Elves." Gur gave Elrond a swift pat on his back. "But do not worry, he will join you shortly. But I still have a use for him." He held up a small bottle. "Perhaps a larger dose will have the desired effects."

"No!" Elrond cried, lunging toward Gur. But them men that held him kept their grip on him. One of them dropped a sack over his head, blinding him, and they pushed the struggling Elf out of the tent.

They pushed Elrond though the camp, but came to an abrupt stop when they came to the clearing in the center of the tents. Before them was a group of people. It was small, but was slowly growing as other emerged from their tents to join their kin. In the front was Rhaenyc.

"Have you gathered to witness the execution of the criminal?" Gur asked, with a smirk.

"No," Rhaenyc replied. "I intend to show our people that we can no longer afford to remain under your rule," he replied.

Before Gur could respond, Rhaenyc turned to still growing group. "Do you see what he is doing?" he said. "He has imprisoned two Elves, for no just cause. He plans to execute them."

"I was protecting you," Gur retorted. "They trespassed on our land!"

"Land that we have no right to lay claim to," Rhaenyc interrupted. "This land is under the rule of their king."

There were murmur throughout the crowd, but Elrond could not tell with whom they were agreeing.

"Do we not deserve land as much as the Elves?" Gur said. "They have a vast kingdom already. Do we not deserve to live as good a life as they? I am only trying to give our people what we deserve."

Elrond suppressed a sigh as he heard some of the people agreeing with Gur. But Rhaenyc was not through.

"But at what cost?" he said. "How can we truly be safe here when he chooses to antagonize the Elves in our name? He does not even ask our consent or opinion as his father did. He will do naught but bring down the wrath of the Elves upon us. Even if you have no love for the Elves, surely you must see that this is folly."

"Did not my father lead you well?" Gur tried again. "Have I not lead you well?"

"Rhaenyc is right!" came a cry from the crowd, followed by many strong cries of agreement.

"He will bring us to ruin," another voice said.

"His father would not have approved of any of this," said another.

"No!" Gur protested. "I have only done what was best for us."

"You have only done what was best for you!" cried Laredith stepping up to stand beside Rhaenyc. "And you have used fear to control us. We will stand for it no more."

There was a roar of agreement from the crowd and it was only then that Elrond realized that the men had released him. He felt somebody pull him off to one side and felt the disturbance of air as the crowd charged forward.

"You are Elrond?" said the man as he pulled off the sack from Elrond's head. From his voice, Elrond recognized the man as the one who had lead the revolt and also as the man who had accompanied the boy and his mother the previous night.

"Yes," Elrond replied looking around the camp as the people chased down their former oppressors.

"I am Rhaenyc," the man replied stepping behind Elrond to cut his bounds. "I am Leoryn's uncle. His mother, Laredith, is my sister-in-law."

"You all have my thanks," Elrond replied. "And you will no doubt have the thanks of my king and Thranduil's father." Elrond suddenly realized that Thranduil was still in the cage. "Ai! Thranduil," he gasped.

"Leoryn has gone to get him," said Laredith walking up to them.

"Thank you, good lady," Elrond said, graciously. "But could you be kind as the show me the way to the tent where we were kept. Your son may need help."

"Of course, my lord," Laredith said, giving him a small curtsy.

Elrond made to follow her then froze as he picked up a noise coming from the forest.

"What is wrong," Rhaenyc asked, following Elrond's gaze. He soon say what Elrond had heard when several Elves on horse back come galloping out of the forest.

Elrond could not help but smile. Gil-galad had come.

*********************

Author's Notes:

  1. None for this chapter, either.




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List