Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Once Upon a Time in Lindon  by Sarcastic Elf

Disclaimer: LOTR and all related characters were created by J.R.R. Tolkien. No money is being made off this fic.
Spoilers: Possibly The Silmarillion, but I don't really think so.


Chapter 2

Elrond stood patiently before the stables in the darkness of pre-dawn. He was leaning against the wall, hidden by the shadows and out of the way of the stable hands. His and Thranduil's horse were beside him, ready to go as they had been prepared by the Roccondil, the stable master. Elrond had come down early, wanting to make sure everything had been prepared for the trip. Now he waited for the arrival of the young prince.

His thoughts wandered back to the evening before at dinner. He frowned as he remembered Oropher's treatment of his son, though it was covered up by discreet words. From what he knew of Oropher, he was a rather stern and serious elf, but to treat his son in that manner when he had been doing naught but carrying on a conversation… If I have a son, I will never treat him like that, Elrond vowed.

His musings were interrupted by the sound of voices approaching. He looked over to his right to see Thranduil and Oropher coming up the path. His eyes widened slightly in surprise at the scene. Thranduil was talking rather animatedly to his father who was listening to his son with a soft smiled on his face. When they reached the stable area, Oropher stopped him looked to be saying something. But if he did, he spoke so low Elrond could not hear and he could not see his face. The elder Elf adjusted Thranduil's cloak and his new silver brooch and then gently cupped the younger Elf's chin before kissing him on the top of his golden head.

Elrond felt a smile make its way onto his face as he watched them exchange farewells.

It seems I judge Oropher much too harshly, Elrond thought.

--

The morning had been pleasant, to say the least. The weather was lovely, not too cold and not too warm. Though Elves were not affected by the elements to same way Men were, they still had their preferences.

The trees, Elrond noted, had a different air about them. While the trees were usually happy to have one of the First Born walk among them, they seemed happier this time. Elrond soon attributed it to Thranduil's presence. While all Elves were in tune with nature, there were some that had a deeper bond with the earth than others. More than once, Thranduil had paused at a tree, smiled, and gently touch the trunk before moving on, suggesting to Elrond that the young prince was one of those Elves.

Thranduil was also acting differently, Elrond noted as well. In the city, he had been very excited and a bit nervous. Here, in the woods, away from the bustling city, he was more at ease, obviously in his element.

Elrond and Thranduil had enjoyed conversation about various subjects. Thranduil had asked about several of the things he had seen the previous day and Elrond, in turn, asked him about where he lived and how he felt about moving to Greenwood. Thranduil had admitted to the older Elf that, while he was a bit nervous and would miss the place he had been born and raised in, he was very excited to be moving into the great forest.

As they talked Elrond had also noted that Thranduil seemed to want to tell him something, but had been hesitant to do so. Thranduil had several times open his mouth, paused, and said something that Elrond knew was not what he had originally intended.

When they stopped for lunch, Elrond decided to press the subject.

"Thranduil," he said, while handing the young Elf some dried fruit. "Is there something you wish to tell me?"

Thranduil frowned slightly and suddenly took a keen interest in the fruit in his hand. "What makes you say that?"

Elrond could not suppress a small smile. "You do not need to fear me, young one."

Thranduil took a deep breath and plunged ahead. "I just wanted to ask you not to think ill of my father," he said quickly.

Elrond raised an elegant eyebrow. "What makes you think I think ill of your father?" he asked.

Elrond saw Thranduil's face flush slightly with embarrassment and tried to suppress a smile.

"Well," Thranduil began. "It was just…it was…last evening, at dinner…"

Elrond held of a hand to silence Thranduil. "You noticed I did not approve," he stated. "Do not worry, young Thranduil. I have since changed my views on your father. I realize that he is a good Elf." Elrond then paused, remembering his vow from earlier that morning and suddenly realizing how foolish it was. "I also cannot imagine how difficult it must be to be a father," he said more to himself than Thranduil.

Thranduil nodded. "Father really is very kind," he pressed on. "He is a little stern at times, but is never unjust. Father says that I am almost an adult and should start acting like one in public. Both around those of a higher standing than I, so to respect them, and around those of a lower standing, so they will respect me."

Elrond raised an inquisitive eyebrow. "And what about in private?"

A smile appeared on Thranduil's face. "Father says, as long as I do not cause too much trouble, I may act as I please."

Elrond let out a laugh. "Goodness! Are you truly that bad?"

Thranduil chuckled and replied, "I was when I was younger, but I have grown out of it." He paused. "Well, mostly at least," he admitted.

"Ai!" cried Elrond in mock horror. "It seems that I shall have to watch myself around you."

"Hm…you will have to let your guard down some time," Thranduil replied, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

They finished their meal and packed up their supplies. Instead of riding, they decided to walk a ways down the forest path. They had walked for a while, talking merrily, when Elrond noticed some tracks going across the path.

"Odd," Elrond said, stooping down to examine the tracks. "These tracks are not Elvish," he muttered. The area had been disrupted in such a way that it could not have been Elves. Men, it seemed. It was not uncommon for men to pass though these lands while traveling. As long as they caused no trouble Gil-galad paid no heed.

Thranduil stood in silence, absently stroking the horse's nose. He froze suddenly when he heard the rustling of leaves.

"Elrond, we must leave," he said urgently.

Elrond rose and turned to the young Elf. "What is it?"

"The trees send a warning. We are not safe here," Thranduil said, mounting his horse.

Elrond nodded. He, too, could now feel the warning in the air. He reached for his horse when an arrow suddenly flew pass his horse's face. The creature, startled, began to rear up on his hind legs. Several more arrows flew from the trees toward them. One arrow grazed the flank of Elrond's horse and the terrified creature bolted, leaving Elrond without a mount.

"Elrond!" Thranduil called out as he held out his hand to pull Elrond onto his own horse.

Elrond had just gripped Thranduil's hand when an arrow struck the younger Elf in his left shoulder. Thranduil was thrown from his horse and fell to the ground, pulling Elrond with him. Thranduil's horse let out a scream, only to be silenced when an arrow hit his neck, killing the creature.

A part of Elrond's mind registered that the arrows had stopped as he crawled over to Thranduil. But he was so focused on the young Elf he did not notice the figures emerging from the trees.

He gently pulled Thranduil onto his back. The prince moaned softly, his right hand clutching his left shoulder, the arrow still imbedded in it. Elrond slipped his hand behind Thranduil's shoulder and felt with dismay that the arrowhead hadn't come out the back. He was going to have to push it through.

He suddenly felt Thranduil clutch his arm and a second later, the head of an arrow appeared in his line of sight. He raised his head and saw a man standing before him with his bow aimed right at him.

"On your feet," the man said.

"I need to treat him," Elrond replied. He knew several human languages and was relieved this man spoke in one of them.

The man made a motion with his head. Elrond had sensed several men behind him and he suddenly felt rough hand grab his shoulder. He began to struggle, but the man aimed his bow down at Thranduil, who was trying to sit up.

Elrond stopped struggling and allowed himself to be pulled away from Thranduil.

"That's right," the man said. "Don't try anything and the young one won't get hurt."

The man looked down at Thranduil, who was now up on one elbow. He placed a foot in the center of the young Elf's chest and pushed him back down.

"Stop that!" Elrond cried. It took all of his self-control not to rush the man but he knew he would not be able to reach him before he shot Thranduil. "He needs to be treated. That arrow needs to come out." Elrond appealed to the compassion he hoped the man had.

The man motioned with his head again and Elrond felt even more hand tighten around his arms and shoulders. The man lowered his bow and removed the arrow, placing it inside the quiver at his back. With his foot still on Thranduil's chest, he reached down toward the arrow imbedded in the young Elf's shoulder. Realizing what the man was about to do, Elrond began struggle against the men holding him.

"No! Stop!" he pleaded. But try as he might, he was not able to shake off the men. They were large and strong; too strong for a lone Elf.

The man grasped the arrow shaft and pulled it out with a swift yank. Thranduil let out a strangled cry of pain before going limp as consciousness fled him.

Though Elrond knew he would not be able to escape the grasps of his captors, he still struggled to free himself and get to Thranduil. Suddenly, he felt something hard hit the back of his head. There was a flash of light before his eyes, then darkness.

--

Gur looked down at the two unconscious Elves and shook his head. "Troublesome creatures," he muttered.

"Seon," he called to one of the men. "Bring the little one."

The man nodded and walked over to the young Elf. Seon lifted him off the ground and stumbled slightly as the Elf was much lighter than he had anticipated.

"Somebody else get that one," Gur motioned to the older Elf.

"Are you sure about this?" one of the men asked. "What if their friends come after them?"

Gur walked over to the man who questioned him and, with out saying a word, slapped the man hard across the face.

"You dare question me?"

The man shook his head and began backing away. "No, sir. I didn't mean it. Forgive me."

Gur raised and eyebrow and nodded. "Don't let it happen again." He turned and motioned to the other men. "Let's go."

*********************

Author's Notes:

  1. On Thranduil being mischievous. Well, Legolas had to get it from somewhere ^_^.
  2. If Elrond seems OOC...just remember, he's still young.




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List