Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

A/N: This chapter is a little longer than normal. 14 pages instead of the usual 11 or 12. I decided to change the storyline slightly, just to give it a little more depth of Thranduil's... Oh wait, I'm giving it away. Lol. But anyway, a little bit longer than usual.

Chapter 13

* My arms will hold you *

Come stop your crying it will be all right
Just take my hand, hold it tight
I will protect you from all around you
I will be here, don't you cry
For one so small you seem so strong
My arms will hold you, keep you safe and warm
This bond between us, can't be broken
I will be here, don't you cry

(You'll be in my Heart - Sung by Phil Collins)

*~*

The snow fell gently upon the forest. Almost like a mother tucking in her child for the night. A soft wind gently blew the flakes 'round and 'round 'til they landed, every so gracefully.

Blue eyes stared above, seeking peace, yet finding turmoil. The sky was gray, a dull, lifeless color that didn't bode well with the elf. As the wind blew against his still yet clothing he suppressed a shiver. Elves didn't feel cold, but there was something else that seemed to freeze him to his very core.

"Thalion?"

A worried voice on his left turned him. "Yes Aragorn?"

"Are you well?"

Aragorn was startled to see the misery within those blue eyes.

Thalion gave him a sad smile. "My heart is restless, son of Arathorn." He whispered. "Legolas." He shook his head. "If he was captured, that means that the others in his patrol are dead. They are all novices." His voice turned bitter. "Or were."

Aragorn leaned forward. "Legolas will be alright, Thalion. He will be safe. I doubt that Lomion or your Adar would let him be otherwise."

A small smile curved his lips. "Lord Elrond was well in naming you Estel." He murmured.

"Estel. Strider." Aragorn laughed. "Sometimes when someone calls out a name I turn thinking it is me they are speaking to, only to find myself in a rather quizzical place having already given a different name."

Thalion laughed lightly. "Whenever Legolas came home from Rivendell, he was always brimming with stories of adventures with you, Elladan and Elrohir." Thalion reached back, pulling his hood up. "Of course he would always forget to mention all the wounds he would receive until later. Sometimes, he wouldn't even tell us. I or someone else would find out from a missive from Lord Elrond asking Legolas if his wounds had all healed."

Aragorn laughed, his head tilting back slightly. "Yes, Legolas is notorious for hiding his wounds. Once he broke his toe, splinted it and we didn't even find out 'til he was taking the splint off."

Thalion laughed, his mind going back to a certain time many, many years back. "Once when Legolas was just a little elfling, not even four years of age, he decided that being around naneth was just a little to boring. Of course the only reason he was usually at her side, because his lungs were still weak from the last bout of sickness, which usually occurred often. So he decided to escape her grasp, and found his way, somehow, outside in the freezing snow. It was cold even for an elf." Thalion shifted slightly. "But he loved it outside. We found him by the shrieks of laughter as he was scooping snow in his bare arms and throwing up as high as he could in the air, then whirling around as it fell upon him."

Thalion's eyes took a distant, far-away look as the memories assaulted him. "Naneth was of course horrified, but we were all so thrilled that Legolas was actually showing some more life besides normal, that we didn't even really think of the consequences of his actions." Thalion paused thoughtfully. "He nearly died that night." He said somberly. "He stopped breathing for two minutes and nineteen seconds."

"You still remember the exact time?" Aragorn asked incredulously.

Thalion smiled. "Yes, we all do. In those two minutes and nineteen seconds, we all about died." He shook his head. "Those two minutes and nineteen seconds were the life spans of millions of years it seemed to me. But when the healer stepped back and we saw his little, tiny frail chest move." Thalion took a deep breath as he shook his head once more. "That day, that night is forever etched in my memory." He whispered.

"I bet." Aragorn whispered, engrossed in the story.

"If he dies." Thalion's voice broke. "It will ruin us." He turned an infinite sad gaze to Aragorn. "Legolas is like the breath in our life." He stated quietly. "When our Naneth left, it nearly broke us. When Loriel left, that nearly broke us. But if Legolas dies." He sighed. "It will tear Adar's heart in two, and Legolas will most assuredly not be the only one in Mandos' Halls."

*~*

Miriwen stood naked before the mirror. The sun had yet to rise, yet out of habit she woke early to get to the healers corridor to prepare anything necessary. She studied her stomach intently. She could feel the life within her. She smiled, placing one hand above her belly button and the other below it.

"Hello pen-neth." She whispered. She gently caressed her stomach. "Your mommy will have a lot of explaining to do when your daddy comes home." She turned to look in the mirror at the small, slight almost unnoticeable bulge. She smiled tenderly. "Don't worry love, your daddy knows." A playful smile rose to her lips. "He knows."

A knock whirled her around as she grasped a nearby robe and flung it on. Tying it hastily, she bid enter to whoever was at the door. It was a fellow healer, Serenal. "Are you alright?" She asked concerned, she had rarely seen Miriwen so flustered.

Miriwen laughed. "I'm fine!" She cried happily, dragging the other female inside. "Just wait here while I get my clothes on." She hurried around the dressing screen.

The silence stretched comfortably as Miriwen quickly dressed.

"When is Prince Thalion supposed to be back?" Serenal asked quietly.

The happy light that had reflected within Miriwen's eyes quickly died out. "Anywhere from today to two months from now." She sighed. "He has been gone about a week and a half now. His patrol should have been able to get their information by now. But." She shook her head. "I doubt that Thalion will get it that easily. There will be spiders to fight, orcs to kill, wargs to destroy." Her voice faded as her hands folded over her stomach tenderly. "But he will be home soon."

Serenal smiled. "Good. I'm sure he misses you terribly."

Miriwen laughed. "I hope so anyway!"

Laughing companionably, arm in arm they walked out her room and down the corridor to the healer's ward.

*~*~*

"Legolas!" Thranduil burst through the tent flaps. A quick glance around showed two warriors bending over a fire pit tying to get a smokeless fire going. He saw Lomion bending over a thin, white figure on the bed and his heart dropped. Was that Legolas? Was that his son?

Quickly walking over and dropping to his knees he looked over Lomion's shoulder. Yes, it was Legolas. Thin, white, shaking with blood staining his bloodless lips. Without a word, Thranduil gathered Legolas in his arms. "Oh my son." He whispered in his ear.

"Ada." Legolas wrapped his arms around his ada. He was shaking almost uncontrollably now. The freezing water had soaked him to the bone and the water in his lungs didn't help a bit either. "I'm sorry." He gasped, tears welling in his eyes. He couldn't handle it anymore. The pain. The hurt. The agony. It was too much.

Tears escaped past the tightly closed eyes and onto the bloodstained tunic. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He didn't know why he was saying it over and over. But it felt soothing to repeat the words of repentance.

"Shhh." Thranduil gently stroked the shortly cropped hair. He was horrified at the change he saw in his youngest. Gone was the confidence in his eyes. Gone was the assuredness in his hands. Gone was the happy light glowing in his face. All that remained, was a beaten, battered, tired prince who all he wanted was just to stay in his Ada's arms for a little bit longer before the cold darkness would overcome him.

"Don't leave me." Legolas choked out. He was rapidly loosing the battle to breath. It was getting harder and harder for him to take the next breath.

"Just breath, Legolas." Thranduil's voice was soft in his ear. "Just breath."

Leaning against his Ada's chest, Legolas found a rhythm that he could take hold of and found his breath returning to him. In and out. In and out.

The tent flaps flew open and the healer stepped in. It was Galion. The healer who had always taken care of him.

"Come to join the party?" Legolas asked weakly, before his breath was cut of by another bout of coughing. He could feel the blood rushing to his lips. He buried his face back into Thranduil's tunic. "I don't want to die ada." He cried.

"Shh." Thranduil soothed. "You won't die." He whispered. "You won't die."

Legolas' reply was cut off by another racking cough.

Galion met Thranduil's gaze, then wordlessly knelt beside Lomion and began taking out clean cloth and herbs. "I need hot water Lomion." Galion said in a low voice. Lomion nodded and pulled his gaze away from Legolas' almost unrecognizable back. There was hardly a piece of skin left on his back, it looked like it was all just blood.

With a gentle push Galion, Lomion got up to find a pot and fill it with water. The two warriors finished getting the fire started and quickly stood and left to get some larger pieces of wood.

"Legolas I need you to chew on this." Galion's voice was soft.

Legolas buried his face deeper within his Adar's tunic. He was ashamed of showing his pain so clearly. He was supposed to be strong.

"Legolas." One word from Thranduil's lips turned the young prince's face away and quietly accepted the leaf.

"Don't swallow." Galion instructed. "Just chew."

Legolas nodded wordlessly, his eyes were dark with pain.

Lomion returned with a pail of water and with help of two warriors they got it above the fire. Galion cast several herbs into the pot to start letting loose their strength.

As the heat from the fire warmed the water, it also threw a soothing atmosphere in the air. Legolas' shivering soon stopped as the heat from the fire threw a comforting warm blanket in the tent.

Galion had taken nearly everything from his pack. Splints for Legolas' leg, herbs for the pain, cloth to wrap, needles to sew torn flesh. He was worried about the punctured lung; he and the others could clearly hear the rasp in Legolas' breath. Walking over to the now heated water he thoroughly soaked several pieces of loose cloth. Making sure they weren't too hot he gently began to clean Legolas' back.

Legolas visibly tensed at the touch of Galion, but made no sound, even though it must have pained him horribly. He kept his face buried in his Adar's shoulder, refusing to look at anyone or anything. It was almost as if he was ashamed of something.

There was complete silence as Galion quickly cleaned and bandaged Legolas' back. Rinsing out the clothes he proceeded to retrieve the knife and needle he would need for the rib.

"Legolas." Galion's voice was soft. "I need you to lay down."

There was a moment of hesitation then Legolas stiffly moved away from Thranduil and without a word of protest lay back down on the bed. His face was a mask, not one emotion showing.

"Legolas?" Thranduil questioned rather startled at the stiff silence and mask.

Legolas made no response, instead closing his eyes and turning his face away. He was deeply ashamed at his actions, Thranduil saw, but there was something more. Something that went deeper. Far deeper. Upon a close, careful inspection Thranduil noticed something rather odd.

Legolas' lips were bruised and there were very faint teeth marks on the side of his neck. Almost as if.

"Legolas?" Thranduil's voice was strained.

Legolas made no move to acknowledge his Adar. No sound came from the bruised lips. His eyes remained tightly closed. His breath remained though strained and rasping, even. Nothing but the tenseness of his body, told Thranduil that Legolas was listening.

"What happened?" Thranduil demanded, his fingers coming up to touch Legolas' lips. He was totally floored when Legolas' hand came up and swatted his hand away.

"Nothing of importance." Legolas' voice was indifferent.

Lomion had stood and walked over to gaze over his Adar's shoulder to see what he was talking about.

Legolas' eyes opened, and for a moment Lomion was struck at the hopelessness, the shame, the anger and the fear in the hazy blue-gray eyes.

"Nothing?" Lomion snorted. "We will talk of this later elfling."

Galion nodded. "Yes, later, for now I need to make sure he will live through the night first. If that lung don't get closed up he will get pneumonia." He stated. He started to shoo the two Royals from the tent, but stopped at the sound of Legolas' voice.

"Please don't go ada." His voice was barely above a whisper, but what struck Thranduil as if he was pole-axed was the open fear in his youngest son's eyes. He looked at Galion, who nodded, then sat back down. "I would like a moment with Legolas before you start Galion." Thranduil stated. "Alone."

Galion hesitated, caught between the need to fix Legolas' physical needs as quickly as possible or for his Adar to see to Legolas' mental and emotional needs. He finally nodded, praying that his choice would not come back to haunt him.

After Galion and Lomion had both gone, Thranduil took Legolas' white, shaking hand into his. The cold had left Legolas, but the shaking was from something deeper. "What happened Legolas?" Thranduil whispered, gently running his fingers through the roughly shorn hair.

Legolas bit his lip as he fought back the tears. "I didn't want it to happen but it did." He whispered. "I tried to stop him, but I couldn't." The tears welled up quickly, despite the face that Legolas had just cried for several moments earlier.

Thranduil's breath caught. "Didn't want what to happen?"

"He kissed me." Legolas sobbed openly. "He threatened he would do more if I didn't give the location of the realm. He said the kiss was only the beginning."

Thranduil couldn't bear the misery in Legolas' eyes, so he gathered him to his chest and let his son cry once more.

"It's all my fault." Legolas sobbed, his voice muffled by the tunic. "It's all my fault Adoril's dead. It's all my fault. It's all my fault."

Holding his sobbing child to his breast, Thranduil fought back the tears welling up in his own eyes. His son was hurting, and he could do naught to help him. He had killed his tormentor, but how could he kill the feelings that ran deep within Legolas?

Adoril had died right in front of his best friend's eyes. He had been tortured, promised many dark and evil things. How could his son, so full of light, laughter and happiness ever return?

*~*~*

"Lothgil? Is everything well?" Lainiel's soft voice quickly brought Lothgil from her thoughts.

She wiped at the tears staining her porcelain cheeks with no avail. "Please." Her voice hitched. "Please just leave me for a while."

There was a pause then Lainiel slowly opened the door. "Are you sure you want to be alone?" She asked quietly.

Lothgil bit her lip. "Nooo!" She wailed, throwing herself back on the bed and burying her face in the pillow.

Lainiel quickly rushed forward. "Oh, Lothgil!" Her fair voice was distressed. "What is a matter, love?" She comforted the sobbing princess.

"He doesn't love me!" Lothgil wailed, producing the letter and letting Lainiel read it.

With a sinking heart Lainiel read the words that told of his sorrow over letting her believe he truly loved her and how he would soon depart for the Valinor. She sighed, Lothgil's first love. It was quite a shock really.

"I'm sure he only wants what is best for you." Lainiel soothed, gently rubbing Lothgil's back. "He doesn't really say that he doesn't love you. It just says that well." Lainiel hesitated. "It says that he can't marry you." She finished weakly.

Lothgil sat up. "I only wanted to know if he loved me in return." She hiccupped. "I didn't want to know if he wanted to marry me."

"Oh, 'Gil." Lainiel's voice was compassionate.

Lothgil shook her head, determinedly wiping her cheeks once more. "I don't need him." She stated.

If I don't need you then why am I crying on my bed?

If I don't need you then why does your name resound in my head?

(If you're not the one - sung by Daniel Beddingfield)

Little did she know that several miles away, a tall, handsome elf stood and sighed, in one hand was a thin parchment of paper. In it, told of a woman whose heart he had stolen. In the other, was his response to her letter. A careful copy he had written as he usually did with all of his letters. But there was something so poignant about the letter in his hand.

The delicate hand of a female had written it. She had written her hopes and her dreams in that letter. And in the other letter he had dashed them into tiny pieces.

"Thorinell? Is everything well?"

"No, Naneth." Thorinell sighed. "I thought I was doing the right thing when I wrote to her, but my heart tells me otherwise."

The woman smiled. "And what does your heart tell you Thorinell?"

"It longs to see her again. If just to say goodbye." Thorinell whispered.

The woman laughed. "You could never say goodbye to her if you saw her just one more time." She said.

Thorinell smiled, a slow, rather sad smile. "Have you seen her Nana?" He asked. "Her hair like a glorious sun in the middle of the day, her eyes like the wind swept sky, her laughter like the purest music?" He sighed, his thoughts lost in memories of her.

Morwen smiled. Her great big son, love struck. "Yes I have seen her, but not as you describe her." She teased lightly. "She is beautiful?"

Thorinell sighed. "You have no idea Nana."

She carefully hid a smile. "So why did you write telling her that you don't love her?"

Thorinell looked shocked. "I did no such thing!" He exclaimed. "I simply told her that I. I." He looked back at the letter, biting his lip.

"If you love her, why did you tell her otherwise?" Morwen probed.

Thorinell sat down heavily. "She is a princess Nana, she is used to living in a finer place then we do. She is used to better food, better clothes." His voice trailed off when he saw her reaction.

"Love conquers all thing Nin ion." She stated quietly.

"But."

"No buts."

Thorinell smiled. "But I already sent the letter!" He exclaimed.

"Write her another, telling her of your true feelings. That letter," she pointed his copy. "is full of rubbish. Tell her the truth."

Thorinell nodded, turned, sat down and picking up his quill and a piece of paper, started to write.

"Dear Lothgil."

*~*~*

Thranduil watched wordlessly as Galion finished sewing up Legolas' side where he had cut into to get the rib from the lung. He had drugged Legolas into full unconsciousness for his own sake as much as Thranduil's.

Thranduil watched almost mechanically as Galion jerked the broken leg to get the bone just right then splinted it. Even when unconscious Legolas' face was contorted from grief, pain, fear and shame.

Reaching out, Thranduil tenderly soothed away the lines in Legolas' brow. There was little to be done with his hair. Though it was several inches long, it was still too short to do anything with. Heating another cauldron of water, Thranduil gently began to sponge the dirt, grime and filth from his son's body. He gently washed the dirty hair, turning it back into its glorious gold color. He washed the limp hands, gently scrubbing away at the dirt crusted into the hands and fingernails. He tenderly washed off the dirt on Legolas face, neck, shoulders, chest, arms, stomach, thighs, legs and feet. There was little missed.

Legolas looked like a small elfling, lying, his eyes closed, his breath still slightly rasping from the blood and water still in his lungs.

There were too many times when Thranduil had seen him this way. Eyes closed, face white, slightly gasping for breath. He leaned back, allowing his thoughts drift back, to another time and another place..

Merry Christmas!!!!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List