Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

Chapter 11

I thought I'd lost you

At times life is wicked and I just can't see the light
A silver lining sometimes isn't enough
To make some wrongs seem right
Whatever life brings
I've been through everything
And know I'm on my knees again
But know I know I must go on

Although I hurt I must be strong
Because inside I know that many feel this way

Children don't stop dancing
Believe you can fly
Away. Away.

(Don't stop dancing - sung by Creed)


Thalion reached back for another arrow. Notched it and let it fly. He repeated the process, not caring that two elves were watching him. Haldir and Telos to be exact. Haldir watched curiously as Thalion reached back and fired several times, each arrow hitting the previous arrow and shattering it.

"He's not focusing." Telos commented, his fingers busy checking arrows for any weaknesses.

"What?" Haldir turned to face the older elf.

"His stance is all wrong." Telos said lightly, knowing that any misstep could offend the guardian.

Haldir narrowed his eyes, turning back the Prince. He could see nothing wrong with his stance. "How so?" He questioned.

Telos mentally berated himself for saying anything in the first place. "His left foot is further forward than it should be. His right foot is a little too much at an angle. When he pulls the bow back his shoulders aren't in line with each other. And his torso isn't lined up as well."

Haldir blinked, the stance that he saw didn't look any different than what he usually saw in his own elves. But then again, the Mirkwood elves were famed for being the best archers in all of Middle Earth. His thoughts were cut off when Telos called out to Thalion.

"Fix your stance Thalion or forget the practice!"

Though Thalion didn't acknowledge Telos' call, Haldir could instantly see the prince's back straighten, his feet slightly move, his shoulders straighten almost imperceptivity and his torso lined up.

Haldir blinked, startled. While the changes had been tiny, Haldir could instantly see that Thalion was shooting the arrows with more ease as he sent each arrow into the previous one.

"If he keeps that up we will soon run out of arrows." Haldir commented dryly his eyes still upon the prince.

Telos gave a non-committal snort and continued to work on the arrows lying around him.

"Telos, may I ask you a question?" Haldir asked quietly.

Looking slightly surprised at the turn of subjects, Telos nodded, laying the arrow down to give the younger elf his full attention.

"Why did Queen Lalaith leave King Thranduil?" Haldir asked hesitantly. He had heard many tales of the reasons why she left. Everything from infidelity to Thranduil abusing her. He wanted to know the real reason, not some made up tale mixed with gossip.

Telos sobered, not expecting a question with such weight. "Why did she leave?" He clarified.

Haldir nodded.

Telos sighed. "Very few know this, in fact only a handful do. Thranduil's children, Lord Elrond, Lord Celeborn, Lady Galadriel and a few others." His face clouded in thought. "She miscarried before Legolas was born. She started into labor too soon and the babe wasn't fully developed." He paused picking the arrow back up. "The child died in Thranduil's arms. She wanted to try for another child, but Thranduil resisted, not wanting another child lost."

Haldir nodded sympathetically.

"Fifteen years passed before he finally gave in. Legolas was conceived, but he was born about two months early, his lungs not completely developing, but he lived. And so Lalaith, never being satisfied wanted another." Telos sighed, remembering all to clearly his queen's desire for more children. "She got pregnant when Legolas was ten years of age." He shook his head. "It was a foolish idea." His hands tightened against the fragile wood in his hands. "Legolas wasn't well, there were many times when he almost died during the nights because he couldn't draw air into his lungs. He was always at his nana's side because he wasn't allowed to do anything a normal elfling could do. He was held back by Lalaith and at times I think he still suffers from it."

Telos sighed, realizing he got off his story. "She was six months pregnant. Far along enough to feel the babe kick within her." His eyes clouded in pain. "She was in her bedroom when she heard Thranduil return from a short trip to Dale, she tripped on her dress as she was almost running down the stairs." Telos cleared his throat. "She landed on her stomach." Telos paused, closing his eyes. "She said she could feel the child's spirit leave."

Haldir's eyes widened at the thought of such pain and anguish that the Queen must have gone through.

"She was heartbroken. No one, not even Legolas or Thranduil could change her heart. She was slowly dying, everyone knew that." Telos gave a slight smile. "Everyone but Legolas. Who was still very sick and many expected his death before his twelfth conception day." Telos picked up another arrow. "To make a long story short, Lalaith left in the night, leaving a very sick little elfling prince and a heartbroken family behind." Telos shook his head. "Legolas hardly remembers her. It was something that should have never happened. But it did because Thranduil loved her too much to say no." He cleared his throat." So there you have it. The real, true reason Lalaith left Middle Earth. And her entire family." His voice turned bitter. "Because of her own stupid folly."

Haldir blinked, surprised at the familiarity that Telos told the story about the queen of Mirkwood.

Telos noticed his surprise. "I guarded her from the day she was born." He gave a small sad smile. "To the day she left."

*~*~*

One.Two.Three.Four.Five.Six.Seven.Eight.Nine.Ten.Nine.Eight.. Legolas breathed in, mentally counting to ten and then backwards. He had found it had helped with the pain in his back. The whip marks were infected; Legolas could feel the heat of the infection throughout his body.

It was snowing again. Only this time the flakes were coming down faster and far thicker than before. It was a welcome cold for the prince, the cold snow cooling his body down. But the more the snow fell the more it piled upon him and soon he was shivering with cold.

A dog whined in sympathy as she got up from her position and shook herself free of the snow. Legolas had allowed himself to drop almost to the ground despite the fact that his arms and legs were tied behind him. He shivered almost uncontrollably as the snow continued to pile on him and the dogs.

Two more dogs got up and shook themselves off, looking mournfully at the shivering prince. Then with a sudden move that surprised the other dogs as well as Legolas, the first dog that had risen moved to Legolas' side and laid back down, her chin resting on Legolas' side. As if it was gesture that all was well, the other dogs rose also and shaking off their coats, went to Legolas' side and lay down beside him, not only receiving warmth but also giving it.

The night passed swiftly for the prince and it was far to soon for him when the sun arose in the eastern sky. It was a very angry Easterling that kicked the dogs off of the prince in the morning. Many of the dogs lowered their heads and put their tails down in submission of their master.

"Ready to give me the location?" The Easterling purred.

Legolas looked up from his position on the snow-covered ground. He gave the Easterling a patient smile as if he was talking to a mere child. "No. I am not ready."

The Easterling's eyes narrowed. "You soon will be." He replied cryptically, he snapped his fingers and instantly two men sprang to his side.

Legolas raised an eyebrow in contempt. "They are rather like trained dogs." He commented dryly, ignoring the scowls the men wore.

The Easterling smiled as the men cut his bonds. "They like to tear meat apart like dogs." He said casually, making a light reference to what Legolas would become if he didn't tell the location.

Legolas bit back a groan as he was roughly jerked to his feet. His aches and pains making themselves all too clear. He was pushed over to a nearby tent and was roughly shoved in. The two men who had shoved him in entered. The Easterling untied a string that held one of the tent flaps open. "Have fun boys." Then untied the other one, leaving the prince alone with very angry men.

A kick in his ribs immediately told Legolas that he was about to receive a very painful beating. He was right.

*~*~*

The small band of elves rode like the wind, slipping past trees with such ease and agility that one might think that they were indeed the wind. Though they rode fast, they rode cautiously, very aware of their horses needs and the fact that more Easterlings could be hidden in the forest. Unlikely but still a caution.

Thranduil and Lomion were at the very head of the group. They showed a skill and cunning finding the enemy's position that was almost unheard of even amongst elves. The trees seemed to form a path for them, taking their branches away from their faces and letting sunlight in so that they could clearly see their path.

They rode through the night and into the morning, taking only a small break to let the horses drink then they were off once again.

Bird whistles alerted Adoril of the king's arrival. He had posted elves all around the camp, with other elves posted further back. He wanted to know every movement possible coming to and from the enemy camp. It was a welcome relief to lift the burden of letting his best friend get caught off of his chest. Thranduil had listened calmly and carefully, as each warrior eased his bow off his back and readied their weapons.

They moved like wraiths through the forest. Eager for blood.

*~*~*

Tasari absently stirred his porridge. It looked anything but appetizing to him at least. But that wasn't what was on his mind. He remembered all too clearly the dream that Legolas had told him about just before he had left.

"Tasari? What is anything a matter?" Miriwen's soft voice broke his thoughts.

"Oh, just thinking about something Legolas told me before he left." He tried to downplay it.

But Lainiel and Miriwen were well used to dealing with the Princes of Mirkwood.

"What exactly was it?" Lainiel asked, spooning some more sausages on her plate.

Tasari frowned. "He had a dream right before he left." He bit his lip thinking. "He said that Easterlings had captured him and were trying to get something out of him. And when he refused to tell them what they wanted, they were breaking his arms and legs."

A soft gasp from his two sisters in law made him look up.

"Why didn't you tell Ada before he left?" Lothgil asked, her voice lowering.

Tasari shook his head. "I forgot about it." He admitted.

The three women exchanged glances. There was no point in making Tasari feel worse.

"We can only hope now, huh." Tasari murmured. "We can only hope."

*~*~*

A/N: Words between * * are mind speech.

Thalion, with a sigh put the bow away. It was a beautiful bow, one that Thalion wished for his own. The Mirkwood bows were made simply, no runes or ornaments decorating them. They had not the time nor full skill to do so.

* "There is still much that weighs heavily on your heart." * The words were spoken softly within his mind.

Thalion gently ran his fingers over the bow. * "Too much my lady." *

*"Will you travel to Rivendell with Elrond?" * She asked softly.

* "Why do you ask?" * Thalion questioned curiously.

* "Sometimes a path is hidden from us." * Galadriel spoke cryptically.

Thalion snorted aloud. * "Did Mithrandir teach you how to speak in riddles or did you teach him?" *

Galadriel laughed. Her laughter bringing a smile to Thalion's face.

He suddenly frowned as a thought came to him. The high pass to Rivendell from Mirkwood had been long blocked by orcs, but yet.

"Telos!" He turned swiftly.

"Aye Thalion?"

"Where is the map of Mirkwood and Rivendell?" Thalion asked, quickly walking to where Haldir and Telos were.

"In your pack by your bed." Telos stood frowning, not understanding where Thalion's was going with all of this.

Thalion grinned at him. "The lower pass is still open." He said simply then walked to the case of stairs and quickly climbed them.

Haldir turned to Telos curious. "What does he mean by that?"

Telos laughed lightly. "I think he has just found his hope again." He said evasively.

Haldir rolled his eyes as Telos quickly climbed the stairs behind his prince. It was bad enough that Mithrandir and Galadriel talked in riddles, but to have a sensible straightforward elf talking in riddles was just too much.

Thalion eagerly spread out the map, his fingers tracing along the mountains protecting Imladris. His long slender finger tapped the place marked as the high pass, then slid over to a small crevice, almost invisible among the dark ink. A smile spread on his face and he turned to face Telos. "We are leaving with Lord Elrond today." He said briskly, and began to pack his things together.

"Oh?" Telos crossed his arms, still slightly at large to the reasons why Thalion was leaving so quickly.

Thalion smiled, a full smile that easily reached his eyes. "The lower pass is still open Telos. It lead straight into the Mirkwood forest, and the path has long been cleared from spiders and other evil things." He explained earnestly.

"How do you know this?" Telos asked warily.

Thalion laughed. "I'm not the commander of the southern patrol for nothing Telos. Now pack your things, I will find Elrond to tell him of our plans."

*~*~*

"Still not talking?"

"No Milord."

Legolas could vaguely sense the conversation looming somewhere above him. He had been drifting for sometime between reality and unconsciousness, which had evaded him for several hours.

He had been sent into the dark abyss several times, but each time was jerked back to the painful reality. He had settled in a hazy mist that covered his mind and helped ease the pain of the blows raining down on his body. He had already begun to cough up blood because of a punctured lung. His left shoulder was dislocated, as were his fingers on the same hand. He had long given up hope to live and had prepared himself for death, but he wished it would be a little less painful.

His thoughts were cut off but the Easterling hauling him to his feet. "Lets go for a little ride shall we?" The Easterling asked mysteriously.

Legolas blinked trying to get rid of the haze in his vision as he was unceremoniously hauled through the camp and thrown on a horse. His hands tied behind his back. The Easterling seated himself behind the prince and was about to put his spurs to the horse's sides when arrows began to rain down on them.

The Easterling froze then looking down at the elf, saw a slight smile on his face. "Haw!" He shouted, his spurs cutting viciously into the horse. The horse screamed in agony, his front legs rising up as he tried to get rid of the people on his back.

The Easterling lost grip on the reins and tumbled off the horses back. Legolas wasn't so lucky. His foot had been tied to the stirrup and as the horse rose higher and lost it's balance, it took Legolas down with him. But only one of Legolas' legs had been tied, and so Legolas was whipped around, his leg twisted as the horse fell upon it.

A sharp crack rent the air along with Legolas' cry of agony. The horse quickly regained it's footing but before he could dash off, an arrow pierced it's eye, killing it immediately and it once more fell back upon the helpless prince.

The Easterling quickly rose and paying no mind to the arrows flying around him, began tugging the elf from underneath the horse. Luckily the horse's full weight had not landed on Legolas' leg the second time, and ignoring Legolas' cries of agony as he viciously pulled him from the under the horse, freeing him. Grabbing a good grip on the elf's arm, the Easterling began to drag him to the top of the cliff near the encampment.

The cliff was actually just a small rise above the ground. Many years previous a flood had swept through the forest river and a small gorge had been cut out. The river had formed a small waterfall that fell into a shallow pool and quickly made it's way along a swift current before it slowed down by the realm of Thranduil and then into Dale.

The Easterling knew none of this, but was intent on escaping with his captive.

Though half delirious with pain and the fever racking his body, Legolas knew only one thing. His ada had come to save him, and no Easterling was going to stop him from being rescued.

"Ada!"

*~*~*

Thranduil's head whipped around at the sound. He had been intent on finding Legolas in on of the tents like Adoril had said he was in, but the very second he heard his child cry out, a terrible fury rose in him. So much so that even Lomion standing next to him, took a few steps backward.

With a shout Thranduil let most of his elves to where Legolas had called out. The Easterling and elf were easily spotted.

"Ada!" Legolas called out weakly again.

The Easterling dealt the elf a swift harsh blow to his head, momentarily knocking him unconscious.

Thranduil strode to the Easterling, who was now backing up slowly, going ever closer to the top of the cliff. One arm around Legolas the other holding a dagger to his throat.

"Give me my son." The words were spoken harshly.

The Easterling gave a silky smile. "So you are King Thranduil are you not?" He asked, ignoring the king's demand. He hefted Legolas up a little higher, covering most of his own body. "And this would be your brat ay?" He asked forcing Legolas to stand on his own with a knife at his throat, while his arm went behind Legolas and cruelly rubbed his whipped back making him cry out.

"Leave him." Thranduil ordered. "Your battle is with me."

The Easterling smiled, as his fingers slowly inched their way to a hidden dagger on his belt. "Is it now? And we were having so much fun with the brat." He said callously, his fingers wrapped around the handle, and with no warning threw it straight at Thranduil!

"Nooooooooo!"

Legolas cried out his disbelief.

"Adoril!"

Thranduil quickly caught the young elf that had leapt in front of the oncoming dagger that was now sticking from his chest. Adoril gave a faint smile. "He is safe now." He choked on his own blood. He gave one last smile then with a quiet sigh, his spirit fled to the Halls of Mandos.

"How touching." The Easterling sneered.

Thranduil's jaw clenched. He withdrew his sword. "Your battle is with me." He stated his eyes boring into the Easterling's empty gaze.

There was sheer terror in Legolas' eyes. "Please ada." He cried out brokenly in elvish.

There was an infinite gentleness in Thranduil's eyes as he took his bloody, battered son. "I thought I'd lost you." He whispered back in elvish. "I will not now."

The Easterling forced Legolas' head back with the knife's edge. "If I win, I go free." He stated. "If you win, you get the whelp."

Thranduil's eyes narrowed. There was a lot left unsaid. But he needed to get his son back. "Agreed."

The Easterling smiled. "Excellent!" He cried. "Since I don't need the whelp to be bothering me." He said with a smirk. Reaching around with his right arm, he grasped Legolas' left arm and twirling him around, tossed him neatly off the cliff face.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List