Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Barrenness of Stone  by Lyllyn

AN The title comes from The Silmarillion. 'Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's body out of the abyss, and they buried him in a mound of stones beside the pass; and a green turf came there, and yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the barrenness of stone, until the world was changed.'

Thanks to Khazar who spotted the foolish error with the eagle.

The Fall of Gondolin was an early tale, rewritten several times. The initial version was set down sometime around 1916-1920, with later versions noted in The Lost Road and the War of the Jewels; it was revised as late as 1951. The earliest versions do not include the harsh exclusion of any stranger, but have the guards welcoming Tuor to the city "where all who war with Melko may find hope." Some later versions had Turgon refusing to let any enter or leave only after the Battle of Unnumbered Tears.

Also in War of the Jewels there is discussion of the two versions of the population of Gondolin, which changes from solely Noldor to a mix of Noldor and Sindar.

In some versions Turgon had sent out messengers to the Falas, and sent ships to beg aid of Valinor. However "none of the messengers of Turgon came into the West, and many were lost and few returned." Of those who were sent, Voronwe had "tarried on the way" to see more of Beleriand; others may have done so too. Perhaps one messenger may have found his wife among the Sindar outside of Gondolin, sired a child, and returned with them to Gondolin…





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List