Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In the High King's Secret Service  by Fiondil

44: Epilogue: The Road Once More

Year of the Trees 1202:

Valandur rode between Intarion and Artelemnar in the midst of the royal cavalcade heading for Valmar. He glanced back to where his atar rode beside Sairon, one of the three minstrels who accompanied them, the two of them speaking animatedly. Further behind were the carriages carrying, among others, his ammë and sisters, as well as Queen Elindis and the Princess Indil. He turned his attention forward to where Ingwë rode with his sons and Ingoldo, the High King’s banner before them all in the hands of Lord Lassezel, acting as standard-bearer.

He recalled a similar cavalcade twelve years earlier, going in the opposite direction, when he thought himself disgraced and out of favor and his love lost. And now, he was returning by the same route to claim his love. He thought back upon those years and smiled. They had been busy ones for Valandur. Ingwë had delayed raising him to his present status as a lord of the realm for several years, stating that he had not yet earned it, and rightfully so. Finwë had not been impressed when he did. Indeed, from the very first, he was against the marriage, stating that Ingwë could adopt Valandur for all he cared but he would always remain a commoner in the Noldóran’s eyes and therefore unworthy of marrying his daughter.

When Finwë learned about the betrothal, he apparently went into a rage, or so the story went. Rumors abounded and even Valandur with his network of minstrel spies could not ascertain the entire truth. All anyone knew was that the Noldóran made his way to Valmar, presumably to reclaim his daughter and return her to Tirion, but when he finally left Valmar, he left alone and Findis remained with Lord Aulë. Valandur often wondered if Lord Námo had done as he had threatened and had subjected Finwë to a little chat. Whether he had or not, the end result was the same: Finwë capitulated.

In the meantime, Valandur continued teaching at the Academy and working with Ingwë. At one point, he was able to spend almost an entire year living in Eldamas, much to his and Findis’ delight. During that time, he studied the way the Elves who served the Valar directly interacted, both socially and linguistically, with their masters and the Maiar. He also studied the interaction between these Elves and those who lived and worked in Eldamas but did not serve the Valar and had little contact with them or the Maiar. It had proved to be a most interesting study, and, surprisingly enough, Lord Oromë had assisted him in his research.

“I could teach you the language of birds and beasts,” he told Valandur when he offered his help, “but I do not think that is where your interest lies.”

“Tell me about Valarin, instead, my lord,” he suggested. “Teach me your language.”

Oromë had smiled in a way that told Valandur the Vala found the idea of any Elda being able to learn Valarin ridiculous, and after the first lesson, he was almost in agreement. By the time Oromë finished with him, he confessed his throat felt as if he’d been gargling with sand. The Vala had laughed and handed him a goblet of miruvórë, the cool liquid easing his throat almost instantly. Still, he persevered, and while he never became fluent (and Oromë insisted that no Elda ever could), he did learn enough to be considered an expert in the language, especially with regards to how the Elves, the Vanyar in particular, had adopted and adapted certain Valarin words into their own language and how that reflected the way the Elves saw their world.

The paper he presented to the Academy on the subject had been well received, at least among the Vanyar. The lambengolmor of Tirion were silent on the matter. Indeed, they were silent about a great many things that did not pertain directly to the Noldor. Apparently Prince Fëanáro had convinced some of his fellow loremasters that anything that came out of the Academy in Vanyamar was specious and not to be trusted. That had not set well with Ingwë, but not everyone in Tirion had agreed with the prince’s assessment, which most recognized as stemming from his hatred of his atar’s wife and children, and so there was some interaction and sharing of research between the two Academies, though not as much as there could or should have been, in Valandur’s opinion.

He mentally shrugged. With any amount of luck, he and Findis would have little to do with Fëanáro from here on out. Valandur was grateful for the fact that the prince would not even be at the wedding, remaining behind in Tirion as Finwë’s regent. It had been decided to hold the wedding on neutral ground when no one could agree to have it in either Vanyamar or Tirion and Valmar was deemed an acceptable alternative.

Valandur felt a rising sense of anticipation of seeing Findis once again. The years had been good to her as well, for she had matured along the way, and while many would still consider her over-young to be marrying, Valandur had watched her grow into the responsible elleth that she was. He had no fears for her on that account.

He himself, he acknowledged, had also grown and matured, becoming more confident in himself and his abilities. And when he finally resigned his position at the Academy to work exclusively for Ingwë, he did so without trepidation. As it was, he was still on good terms with his fellow loremasters and Headmaster Laurelassë still had him come and speak at the convocations when his other duties permitted.

No, the last twelve years of waiting had been worth it. Who would have believed that this day would come? Twelve years ago, returning to Vanyamar from Tirion, he had thought his love lost, his future dim and ultimately pointless, but now, now the future held bright promise and he looked forward to meeting it, he and Findis together.

“What are you smiling about, my lord? As if we didn’t know,” Artelemnar, now Valandur’s squire, asked with a chuckle, which Intarion echoed.

Valandur gave them both a merry look. “The future. I’m smiling about the future.”

And as Eldamas came into view, and they could see the Trees in the distance, with Laurelin in full bloom, shining in golden glory, Valandur’s atar suddenly raised his voice in joyous song, singing a love ballad Sairon had composed that was popular in Vanyamar and beyond. Soon they were all joining in as they rode toward Valmar where Findis and the future awaited.

~Metta~





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List