Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Rings of Evendim  by shirebound

THE RINGS OF EVENDIM

Chapter Six: The Token

Arvedui thanked him, and at parting gave him his ring, saying: "This is a thing of worth beyond your reckoning. For its ancientry alone. It has no power, save the esteem in which those hold it who love my house. It will not help you, but if ever you are in need, my kin will ransom it with great store of all that you desire.” ‘Appendix A’, The Return of the King


He-án examined the stone marker, inscribed in two different scripts.

“These are the runes of the Naugrim,” he spoke at last. “I saw such as this as a boy, carved into stone near the caves southwest of the Bay. And this... it may be the same word, in the language of the men of old. Fragments of Ar-vedwë’s writing are preserved in the artifacts chamber.” He traced the letters with one finger; they were unlovely and abrupt, unlike the delicate loops and swirls of their own script. “I would guess it is a name, perhaps of the stone city. We may have at last reached the border.” He gazed south, towards the narrow pass cleaving the hills they would reach in a few hours.

“Then we are near,” said He-tyána.  “The city dwellers must be peaceful, father; would not a hostile or suspicious folk guard their borders? We have seen no one.”

“I hope you are right.  Whatever awaits us, we will not turn away from our fate.”  He-án signalled for their six companions to follow, and the three sledges carrying provisions, shelter, tools, and trade goods began to move forward once again.

Some hours later, the small party entered the pass, moving warily through the deep cut which measured several long, zigzagging miles through the heart of the hills. There was neither movement nor sound from the sheer rock walls towering above them, which gave He-án great encouragement; surely this would be the place for an ambush, were any to be launched. Finally they made the last turn in the cleft, and walked out onto a path leading through a lush meadow of tall grass, numerous ancient trees, large boulders, and unfamiliar blooms. Beyond the meadow stretched an incredible vista, unlike anything he had imagined, dominated by a sparkling lake of incredible size.  And there was the city they sought, comprised of a multitude of cunning dwellings and towers crafted of glittering stone.

But all of this He-án registered only briefly as he and his companions abruptly halted. Several hundred yards from where they stood waited a grouping of persons so unexpected, he could at first find no words to describe what he was seeing. 

In the center and slightly in front stood a very tall and handsome man, wearing a bright gem on his brow and holding a smooth length of silver. He was richly dressed in deep blue, and a brooch with a large green jewel adorned his chest. He wore a long scabbard, but the blade had not been drawn. On his left was a man dressed in brown and green bearing a long staff from which fluttered a cloth of silver and black, and on his right stood a woman of incredible beauty, her gown and cloak the color of summer sky, her dark hair as long and shining as that of his own wife.

“They weave fine cloth,” He-án whispered at last, his far-seeing eyes absorbing every detail.  “Your mother would appreciate as much of that as we might be able to bring back.”

“The Naugrim are here!” He-tyána said, surprised to see a Dwarf in the group. “And… do you suppose those are his children?”

“I do not know,” He-án said doubtfully, gazing curiously at four small, curly-haired folk. “If strangers came to our dwelling-place, we would keep the children hidden. But the man in blue is surely the Chieftain of the city. The woman... is it possible that she is one of the star-eyed ones? This is quite remarkable.”

“Do you think the Chieftain bears the token?” He-tyána asked hopefully.

“I cannot say.  He is armed, as is the Stunted One. Look, their party counts eight persons, as does ours. They were awaiting us, He-tyána!  But how did they know we were coming, if there were no sentries?”

“Perhaps one of their favored ones also had a dream,” He-tyána said. “Father, they have beasts such as is told that Ar-vedwë’s men described.” He gazed with longing at the horses and ponies. “It is my wish that we can return to our home with such as those.”

He-án turned to speak with his men. “Keep your weapons within reach, but do not draw them unless you deem it necessary. We will go first; wait here until you see my signal.” He and his son dropped their packs, and with a whispered prayer to Yáve-anna for wisdom and Heskil-anna for courage, they walked forward.

*~*~*~*~*

“Are those bears?” Frodo asked, amazed.

“I think they’re some sort of dogs, sir,” Sam said doubtfully. “But look at ‘em!” He gazed in wonder at the two huge, black animals accompanying the visitors.  They were thickly furred, with faces appearing very bear-like indeed, if Mr. Bilbo’s stories told true. “Our wee pups could all ride on one of their backs like a pony, and have room to spare!”

“I think we could, too,” Pippin said in awe.

“I wonder if they could be bears after all,” Merry said doubtfully. “Didn't Bilbo say that he met tame ones?”

“Shhh, here they come; Aragorn is going to speak to them,” Frodo said.

The King had thought long and hard about how to greet the delegation from the ice lands, and consulted with his wife about how best to bridge the gap of not only different cultures, but a thousand years of separation. The eldest of the arrivals, a well-muscled, deeply tanned man with bright blue eyes, walked steadily to meet them accompanied by a younger man. Their garments were elaborately decorated, and the elder wore a necklace of amber and gold hung with an engraved tusk of some beast.  He was obviously the leader of this group, if not his entire people, and his bearing conveyed great dignity. They approached with one of the dogs, its black fur ruffled with suspicion. 

They stopped before the King and Queen, and waited silently.

“Greetings,” Elessar began. “I speak to you in the Common Tongue; do you understand my words?” He was encouraged when the man facing him nodded. “I was born Aragorn son of Arathorn,” he continued, “but am known now as Elessar Telcontar. Victorious in war against the Dark Lord and his fell armies, I stand before you as the acknowledged king of a reunited land stretching from this city to a realm far to the south. I am descended father to son 16 generations from Arvedui, King of Arnor, once known to your people and succored by them.” The eyes of the man glinted with shock and recognition. So, the name of Arvedui is still known to them, Elessar thought. That is good. He held up the silver rod in one gloved hand.

“I bear the Scepter given to me by Elrond Half-elven when his daughter and I wed, as well as this ancient jewel given into my keeping by Galadriel, a lady of noble Elven birth who travelled the frozen lands to the north before even your eldest forefathers dwelt there. In their names, and my own, I bid you welcome to Annúminas if you come in friendship and good will.”

The man facing him appeared overwhelmed by what he had heard, but quickly composed himself.

“Elessar Telcontar, I am He-án,” he said, “Chieftain of the People of Heskil-anna.”

“Nienna,” Arwen murmured, and He-án gasped in wonder.

“We use that name, as well,” he said eagerly. “The Lady of Winter is known to you?”

“She is, He-án,” Arwen said.

“We live by her favor,” He-án continued, “and that of Yáve-anna.” He looked at Arwen hopefully, and was overjoyed to see her nod.

“Yavanna Kementári,” Arwen said softly. “The Queen of the Earth, giver of fruits.”

“Yes!” He-tyána cried out, and there was laughter as tension was released on both sides.

“May I present my impulsive son, He-tyána,” He-án said. “We greet you on behalf of our people.”

“May I present my beloved wife, Arwen Undómiel,” Elessar said, “queen of our people and of my heart.”

“My wife is Yá-shiél, favored of Irmo Dream Lord. To her was revealed the words that brought us to your city.”

Elessar nodded encouragingly. “I would like to hear these words, He-án.”

“They are for my wife’s son to speak.”  

He-tyána took a deep breath before reciting:

“Seek for the stones that were broken
    A city now awaits
There shall be one to greet you
   With whom is woven your fates
Ask to see the token
   The desperate one did bring
A new age has been woken
   Rejoice in the Days of the King”

He-án looked curiously at the small ones, who were exchanging glances of astonishment.

“You have heard these words before!” he said excitedly, then turned to the Queen. “Did you receive such a dream as well, Arwen Undómiel?”

Arwen smiled at him. It was obvious that the People of Heskil-anna looked to women to receive dreams of great portent, and respected this skill.

“I did not dream such as your esteemed wife,” Arwen said gravely, “but my husband the King has ways of understanding what is taking place even beyond his sight. Your coming was known to us.”

“I salute your courage in undertaking such a journey, He-án,” Elessar said. To the visitors’ surprise, he knelt and addressed two of the small ones. “What say you, my friends?” he asked Frodo and Sam. “Would you ask these men anything?”

“Is that a dog, sir?” Sam blurted out to He-án, quite taken with the huge animals. “We’ve nothing so big in the Shire.”

“She is, indeed,” He-án responded with a smile. “Our hounds are valiant and true, and carry our luck.” He spoke softly to the dog, which lay down at his feet, and he encouraged Sam to come closer.  When Sam cautiously reached out to touch the thick, soft fur, the large tail thumped slightly, making the hobbits smile.

He-án gazed at the hobbits with frank curiosity. “I at first believed you to be children, but now see you are not. Elessar Telcontar, may I offer something to these folk?” The King nodded, and He-án knelt as the King had done.  Reaching into a pouch, he drew forth a small package and unwrapped pieces of a brown, crystalline substance that smelled like sugar. “It is the sap of birch trees, made into a sweet we value greatly. Will you take this, as a gift?”

“Thank you, sir,” Frodo said, accepting the package on behalf of his friends. “Pippin, don’t look so anxious; you’ll get some, I promise.”

He-án grinned.  These folk had strange names and foreign ways, but they fought over sweets not unlike his own children. He got to his feet and faced the King once again.

Elessar had made up his mind. “He-án, will you and your men enter our city, and take rest and refreshment? If you are willing, tonight you will meet my companions, about whose deeds and high stature you will learn, and we will tell you our tale. There is much you should know, and we are equally curious to hear what you have to say.”

“We would be honored, Elessar Telcontar,” He-án said, greatly relieved at how the meeting had gone. He rested his hand on the enormous axe he wore effortlessly on his belt, wondering why he had not been asked to relinquish it. “Sir, your party is only lightly armed; I admit to great surprise that you assumed we were of no threat to you.”

“I did not,” Elessar said firmly. “Do not mistake hospitality for weakness, or lack of foresight.” He cried out an unfamiliar word, and from behind every tree and boulder instantly appeared Dúnedain archers, their bows at the ready. He-tyána looked startled, but He-án nodded with approval; he would have done the same.

“Father, remember the token,” He-tyána whispered urgently.

“Elessar Telcontar,” He-án said formally, “as you heard, the dream sent to my wife by Irmo Dream Lord bid us request sight of the token, the coming of which, in ancient days, heralded an age of great prosperity for our people. We ask now that you bring it forth, so that we may see the dream fulfilled.” He waited expectantly.

What does he mean? Elessar wondered, his thoughts whirling. He suddenly grew aware that Vilya had begun to pulse gently, and grow warm, and his attention was drawn to the Elven ring. A ring, he realized, a great clarity steadying his mind.  Arvedui Last-King and his men were starving and desperate when they were aided by the ancestors of these folk. Of course!

With slow and deliberate motions, he handed the Scepter to Arwen, then removed his gloves and held up his left hand. There was a gasp of joy from He-án and his son as they beheld the Ring of Barahir. After inspecting the ring closely, and gaining permission to touch it reverently, He-án stepped back.

Then he and his son bowed deeply before the King, and, seeing this, their companions did the same.

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List