Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Great Tales from Middle-earth  by Linda Hoyland

Title: Weary of Waiting
Author(s):Linda Hoyland
Rating: PG
Fandom: LOTR
Character(s): Éowyn 
Summary: Éowyn is weary of always being left behind.
Warnings: none
Word Count: 200
Author's Notes: With thanks to Raksha

Why must it ever be my fate to wait upon the will of men in shadowed halls? Always I am told to be patient, for such is the lot of a woman. Am I supposed to sit idly by while the men ride off to fight and die? And wait for what? Until the enemy from Mordor are upon us and we are slaughtered like so many helpless sheep?

For one brief instant, I sensed hope had come to me, yay to all of us, in the form of Aragorn son of Arathorn. He like all the others, though, bade me sit at home and think of duty. Now he is gone to his death in the Dwimorberg . I am left behind once more. Left by my menfolk to sit and wait for death while they ride out to theirs. 

Hope has long since fled from this land.

I, Éowyn daughter of Éomund, am a shieldmaiden. I can fight as well as any man. Better by far that I die with my sword in my hand, winning renown and being remembered in song and story. I will not wait here be slaughtered. No more waiting! I shall ride to glory!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List