Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Enigmas- The Life and Love of Linwe and Frodo  by MysteriousWays

Chapter Five

 

 

It was a crisp and sunny September day, three days after Linwe’s fiftieth birthday to be precise. Life in Bree had become rather dismal despite the weather. The big folk seemed to be on edge, and the Hobbits were starting to sense that it was no longer a place for decent Hobbits to live. So many families the Gamwiches included had decided to move into the Shire.

"Thank you for walking me home, Marroc. It was very kind of you," said Linwe. She had been to market to get a few things her mother needed to prepare for the move when she had met up with Marroc Hamwich. Linwe had known Marroc most of her life. His family had a prosperous farm by Buckleberry Fern. Marroc was often in Bree on family business and always made a point of meeting up with Linwe. He tried to make it appear that the meetings were accidental but Linwe knew the truth.

"It’s my pleasure, Miss Linwe," said Marroc his face taking on a pink tinge.

Linwe was well aware that Marroc was rather sweet on her, and she liked him well enough but not that way. Linwe could not figure out why he continued vying for her attention, as far as she could tell she had never encouraged him. Linwe had always behaved the same with Marroc as she had with every other lad or every other person for that matter, she was quiet, she barely said a word and tried to get away as soon as possible.

"I really need to get inside and get these things to mother," said Linwe as she kept her gaze firmly fixed on the ground.

"C…Could I ask you a question Miss Linwe?" Stammered Marroc.

"Yes, I suppose," said Linwe with a quick glance up, then she once again fixed her gaze firmly on the ground.

"Well, being as how you and your parents will soon be moving to Brandy Hall, I was wondering if I might come and call on you from time to time. To c…court you if you would ..err.. be interested. Buckleberry Fern isn’t too far from there you see; and I was thinking that with you living closer I could maybe court you properly, if you understand me. So would that be all right?"

Linwe wished that the earth would open her up and swallow her whole. "W…Well that is well ..err.. so very k…kind of you, Marroc. But I don’t, well I just don’t know. The truth is I have a terrible headache at the moment. I think I had better go lie down."

"I understand," said Marroc, his voice warm and gentle with kindness. "Maybe we can talk about this later, when you are feeling better. I am sure I will be seeing you again soon anyway."

"Yes, all right then. Goodbye Marroc, and thank you again," said Linwe as she struggled to get out a weak smile. Linwe hurried into the house slamming the door behind her.

"Linwe, was that Marroc Hamwich I saw walking with you?" asked Lila from the kitchen.

"Yes, Mother, it was."

"That was nice of him to walk you home. Did you invite him in for a cup of tea?" Lila asked, knowing perfectly well what the answer would be.

"No, Mother, I didn’t."

"Oh Linwe, what are we going to do with you? How could you be so rude to Marroc when he is nothing but polite and considerate to you?"

"Very easily, and it is all his own fault." said Linwe angrily.

Lila saw the hard look come into her daughter’s eyes that meant she was going to be especially stubborn. "And how, prey tell, is it his fault that you were rude?"

"He asked if he could call on me at Brandy Hall so that he could court me. If he hadn’t done that, then I would not have got all flustered and had to treat him rudely."

"Oh my little Linwe," said Lila coming to give her daughter a hug.

"I don’t understand it, Mother. Why do they keep coming and asking to court me anyway?" Linwe said as she held her mother tightly.

Lila pulled back and looked straight into her daughter’s eyes, "Because despite your behavior you are really a very lovely girl and everyone knows it."

"No I’m not! I am puny. Why, even my feet are too small. I am a freak of nature, and I wish everyone would leave me alone."

"Linwe dear, I know you are not comfortable being around other folk, but you really are going to have to learn to deal with this. We will be moving soon to Brandy Hall, and you will be around so many more people. Some of them will be lads your own age who have not yet married and will wish to court you."

"But I’ve told you, I don’t want to be courted, I don’t want to be married. I want to go roaming the wilds with Merenwen where I can be left alone," said Linwe as she slumped down into a chair.

"Linwe, I really do wish you would give some of these lads a chance. You are fifty years old. Most lasses your age have been married for years and have children about to go into their tweens. And you know your father and I worry about who will care for you, after we are gone."

"I know you do, and I really am sorry. It’s just that…" she stopped without finishing.

"’It’s just’ what?" urged Lila.

"I don’t know. I don’t know what is wrong with me. A part of me really wants to be married and to have a family," Linwe sighed. She felt confused and frustrated.

Lila’s heart went out to her daughter. "Linwe, please talk to me. There must be a reason for the way you feel. I know you feel unsure of yourself because of your size, but you know you are not the only Hobbit to be rather on the slender side."

"Not only am I too skinny for a Hobbit, but I am also too short; and my feet are too small. The big folk in town are always thinking I am a human child because my feet are too small."

"Linwe, that cannot be the only reason for your not being willing to take a suitor. I know you are not as childish as all that, there must be a more important reason."

Linwe sat looking out the window for a while, trying to get a firm grasp on some thought that seemed to elude her. "I feel…," she said as she started to speak haltingly. "I feel like there is something I am waiting for. I feel like there is something that has to happen first. I know that makes no sense, but that is the only way I can think to describe it."

Lila went and standing next to her daughter’s chair pulled Linwe into another tight hug. Linwe buried her face in her mother’s waist just as she had when she was a child.

"It will be all right, Linwe," said Lila as she ran a hand over Linwe’s soft curls. "Your father and I worry. That is what parents do. If you were settled in a home with a little family of your own we would find something else to worry about. But we know that you also need to find your own way in the world, so you just do what you think is best for you and know that we love you no matter what."

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List