Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Enigmas- The Life and Love of Linwe and Frodo  by MysteriousWays

THis was originally posted on September twenty-second in honor of Frodo's and Bilbo's birthday.

Chapter Three

 

When Marmadas received the news that his wife was once again with child, he was unable to share her enthusiasm. Marmadas had been through all of this too many times before, so it was difficult for him to believe that this pregnancy would be any different from the others, despite the fact that Lila was obviously feeling strong and hale.

Months passed Lila grew rounder and glowed a little more each day with the health of her pregnancy. To Marmadas, Lila’s happiness seemed to grow along with her belly, it wasn’t long before he too was able to set the old fears of Lila losing yet another child, for the more traditional fears of an expectant father, like would the baby have all of it’s fingers and toes.

Marmadas and Lila added making preparations for the arrival of their child to their usual daily tasks. For Lila this meant sitting and sewing tiny little garments, for Marmadas this meant finally pulling together the nursery to Lila’s requirements.

To Marmadas that spring and summer were the best he had ever known in his life. The weather its self was beautiful and fairly mild, he and Lila got into the habit of taking many of their meals outside. In the evenings they liked to go for walks. Merenwen was a frequent visitor to their home, coming as much for friendship as to keep a close eye on Lila. They were glorious days that seemed to slip by too quickly.

September came, the days were warm and dry, and the nights were chilly. The leaves on the trees took on the faintly dusty green hue, which foretold the changing of the seasons. One crisp, cool September day, as Lila was tying the last of the summer herbs up to dry on racks, the now familiar song of Merenwen reached Lila’s ears. Lila left her task to greet her friend.

"Well met Merenwen, my dear. "

"And you as well, Lila. Can you guess why I am here?" asked Merenwen

"Considering my back is quite sore today and I seem to be having regular aches about my belly, I would guess that it is near time I had this baby."

"And so right you are. Is everything ready?"

"Oh yes. Marmadas raised the tent just the other day. He set it up so as it might have enough room for you to walk comfortably in. There is a guest bed, towels, water, a fire laid and ready to light. Everything is just as we discussed it."

"Wonderful, then I think it would be best if you continue seeing to your herbs, being up and about will help speed this along. By early evening you shall have a new addition to your family."

"I can hardly wait. It will be such a relief to not be carrying this great weight around. Do you know I can’t reach my kitchen sink now? This" Said Lila gesturing at her large round tummy "gets in the way. No matter how I try to get around it nothing seems to work. Marmadas has been having to wash the dishes for me."

Merenwen smiled "And I am sure this is most upsetting for you. What do you do with yourself when you are not allowed to do the dishes?"

Lila rolled her eyes and smiled mischievously. "Oh it is dreadful. I am forced to sit down in my rocker and put my feet up. You can only imagine the hardship I suffer."

Merenwen and Lila looked at one another for a moment then burst out giggling.

The rest of the day passed most peacefully. Marmadas stayed in his workshop deciding it was best if he just stayed out of the way. Merenwen did what she could to ease Lila’s pains. Lila kept up with light chores to keep her occupied as the labor progressed. Just before sunset Lila and Merenwen retired to the tent. Marmadas took a seat on a bench near by, to smoke his pipe and wait for the arrival his child. Marmadas sat staring up bemused into the darkening sky. The first star of the evening had just made its twinkling appearance when from inside the tent he heard the surprisingly loud wailing of a newborn baby, his and Lila’s.

Marmadas stayed where he was his heart filled with joy as he listened to those cries, the murmur of female voices fussing over the little one. He waited patiently until Merenwen came out to him, smiled and said. "Would you like to come greet your daughter now?"

Marmadas could only stare up at her, as he let the meaning of what she had just said sink in. "A daughter? I have a daughter?"

"Yes, and a very healthy one too. I am sure you could hear her cries even out here."

"Is she is beautiful as her mother?"

"Why don’t you come inside and see for yourself."

Marmadas stood up and Merenwen laid a hand on his shoulder giving him a gentle nudge forward. Together they walked across the grass towards the soft glow coming from the opening of the tent. Marmadas stepped inside the tent, there in the pale candlelight, was Lila sitting up and looking radiant and beautiful, holding a small bundle in her arms. Marmadas went to her then leaned over to kiss his wife on the forehead. "Are you all right dear? Are you well?" Marmadas asked in a nervous voice.

Lila smiled, "I’m just fine dear, wonderful even. Now why don’t you sit down here" said Lila patting the side of the bed "and you can hold your little girl."

"Oh, I don’t know that I should." Said Marmadas sliding his hands behind his back.

"Marmadas!" Said Lila fixing him with a firm look "Sit down and introduce yourself to your daughter."

"But she is such a small thing, I am afraid I will break her."

"I assure you, dear, she will not break so easily." Marmadas set down and Lila carefully handed him the tiny little bundle. "Now just hold her on the length of your forearm so that her head rests on your elbow and you support her bottom with your hand." Marmadas did as he was instructed then let out a relieved breath, so far so good.

Very gently Marmadas pushed back the blanket a bit to get better look at his daughter’s face. With one trembling finger he touched the soft pink skin of his daughter’s cheek. He was mesmerized by the golden sheen of the feathery curls that covered her head. A gentle smile touched Marmadas’ face as is tiny daughter turned her head nuzzling his arm with her nose and showing off one fragile looking ear. For a moment all was silent as everyone sat basking in the warmth of the moment. Then Marmadas let out a sigh and a tear slid down his cheek. He turned to his wife and said, "My dear, she was well worth the wait." With that Lila leaned forward, put her arm around her husband, and kissed away his tear.

Marmadas suddenly looked from his wife to Merenwen. "Does my daughter have all of her fingers and toes? I mean does she have all of the little bits she needs?"

Merenwen and Lila both chuckled "Yes, Marmadas, " said Merenwen with a smile "your daughter has all she needs. Well everything except perhaps a name. Will you be naming her soon?"

Marmadas and Lila looked at one another and smiled. "Well actually," said Marmadas looking a bit sheepish, "she does have a name."

"Yes, and you were most helpful in our choosing, as well as everything else you have done," said Lila looking quite pleased.

"I am afraid I do not understand." Said Merenwen with that puzzled smile one gets when one know one is about to be pleasantly surprised.

"Merenwen do you recall having a conversation about Hobbit and Elvish naming customs?" asked Lila

"Yes, I seem to recall that aside for the differences in language both often choose names coming from nature. And there were names in the hobbit culture that came from outside the Shire, but in time the hobbits had forgotten their origin."

"Well, Marmadas and I talked about it, and we wanted to do something to show our appreciation for all you have done for us," said Lila

"I originally wanted to name her for Lila…" put in Marmadas

"And if we had a boy, I thought he should be named for his father…"

"Which I did not care for!"

"No more than I cared for naming a daughter after myself. But we are straying, dear."

"Keep me in suspense no longer," said Merenwen laughing now. "What have you named this poor child?"

"Well, after talking with you, I had the idea that we should give the baby an elvish name, the elvish version of our hobbit names." With this Marmadas got up and walked over to Merenwen with the baby.

And Lila said, "Merenwen Sirfalas may we present to you, Linwe Taralom Gamwhiche of Bree."

Merenwen took the tiny babe with the rather long name from Marmadas. Linwe barely filled Merenwen’s hands. "Welcome, Linwe Taralom Gamwhiche. The peace of Rivendell be with you."

 

~~~~~

Not so very far from Bree where Lila Gamwhiche labored to bring her child into the world, Primula Baggins lay back on the pillows that were piled high behind her and tried to catch her breath, as sweat trickled down the side of her face, further dampening her lustrous dark hair. "I don’t know how much longer I can keep at this, Asphodel." She gasped.

"You are doing just fine, little sister. I think one more good, solid push will have this baby out." Asphodel assured her younger sister as she applied a cooling cloth to Primula’s sweaty brow.

Primula gazed out the window that was directly opposite of her bed, drawing peace from watching the last traces of day light fade from the sky. Soon she felt the muscles of her swollen abdomen start to tighten into another contraction.

"Take a deep breath and push hard, Primula." Ordered Asphodel.

Primula reached deep within herself and found one last surge of strength, she then closed her eyes and gritting her teeth she pushed with all her might, feeling the child within her move outward, then suddenly she felt lighter.

"He’s here, Primula!" cried Asphodel joyfully. "You can stop pushing, little sister, your son is here!"

Unable to speak Primula lay back once more, gasping for air, a radiant but tired smile lighting up her face. Primula’s eyes were drawn to the window once more, as she looked out she saw the first star of the evening appear in the deep blue sky, just at the same moment she heard the first lusty wails of her new born son, Frodo.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List