Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Enigmas- The Life and Love of Linwe and Frodo  by MysteriousWays

 

Chapter Thirty-four

 

Esmeralda sat at her dressing table, carefully winding her long silvery hair into a bun. She was in her old room at Great Smials. She, Saradoc, and Merry had all come to Tookborough for the Yule festivities. It had been a lovely holiday, Frodo, Linwe, Sam and Rosie had all come for a day. Esmeralda had not seen Linwe since the previous August and had missed her. Linwe and Frodo appeared to be happy and content with one another, but Esmeralda made sure she checked with Rosie, knowing that the observant Hobbitess would give her a truer sense of how Frodo and Linwe faired.

"You can rest assured they are happy," said Rosie in response to Esmeralda’s questions.

"Is there anything at all that gives you the least bit of concern?" pried Esmeralda.

"There is maybe one thing, now that you ask, though I don’t know that it is any real reason to worry."

"What is it?" prompted Esmeralda.

"Frodo is having night mares. At least three times a week, sometimes more. Linwe did not say anything at first. I only found out because there were mornings where I would find two used mugs sitting in the sink, with what looked like the dredges of warm milk with nutmeg inside. Since Linwe and Frodo said nothing of this I said nothing of it, I don’t wish to pry into their personal matters. However when it seemed to be a regular occurrence for an entire month I finally decided to ask Linwe."

"What did she say to you?"

"She told me of Frodo’s nightmares. They started in late September, not long after their birthday. Linwe said it was the time of year that brought the night mares on. The sites and smells reminded him of the autumn that he and the others left. I told Sam about it, and he admitted that he was having more too, but his do not seem as disturbing as Frodo’s apparently are."

"Does Linwe seem at all worried about this?" asked Esmeralda.

Rosie smiled, "Not at all. She does what she can for Frodo. She has experimented with different teas in hopes of inducing more peaceful dreams, and she cares for him when they come. For the most part she seems to just accept them as a small bother."

"If even half of what Merry has told me is true, I am not surprised that Frodo has nightmares. It sounds as though they are managing quite well though."

"Oh, but there is one thing I should mention. Linwe will not say much to me about it, but I know she is anxious to have a baby. She has only mentioned it to me once, but I know she is afraid that fifty-two is far too old to be hoping to get pregnant."

"Oh, that is nothing to worry about. But if I get an opportunity, I will have a talk with her about it."

Esmeralda never got a chance to talk to Linwe about it, during the Yule festivities, but she had kept the idea in mind and had every intention of paying a visit to Bag End so that they could have that discussion. Esmeralda wondered if she should see if she could get a message to Merenwen. Surely she would be the best to advise Linwe in the matter, that is if there was anything to be advised. Esmeralda could understand why Linwe would be concerned. Pretty much every new bride hoped to bear a child immediately, but it was not unusual for it to take six months or more just to conceive. Shy couples could take awhile, but by all Esmeralda had heard and seen, Frodo and Linwe had no problems showing their affection for one another. In fact they seemed to show it with near child-like abandon. Esmeralda smiled to herself. She remembered Rosie telling her of the day Sam had found Frodo and Linwe together in Frodo’s bed. A couple that was spending that sort of time together before they were married was likely even more active after. She and Saradoc most certainly had.

Esmeralda’s thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. "Come in."

The door was opened by Ivy, a sweet faced girl who worked as a maid in Great Smials. "I am sorry to disturb you ma’am but there is a lad that has just arrived from Hobbiton. He says his name is Nibs Cotton and that he has an urgent message for you from Bag End."

"Oh my, where is Nibs now, I will see him immediately."

"He is in the parlor just off the front entranceway."

Esmeralda rushed to the rarely used parlor. As she hurried along the winding passage from her room to the front entrance she wondered what could be so important that Rosie’s youngest brother would need to be sent as message carrier, rather than the usual post. Esmeralda knocked at the closed Parlor door out of habit then went inside. "Nibs Cotton, what brings you here in this cold weather at such an early hour?"

"Good Morning Mrs. Brandybuck. Sam sent me on account that me and my pony, Willow, can ride fast we have a mind too. Sam needed us here quick like. I have a message for you from Rosie." Nibs pulled a crumpled bit of paper out of his pocket and handed it to Esmeralda. "Sam says it’s about Miss Linwe, or Mrs. Baggins I guess I should say, anyway, Sam says she is sick and Healer Burrows is gone to visit his daughter. Miss Linwe, I mean Mrs. Baggins needs you."

"When did Sam give you this errand?"

"It was a few hours ago, I guess about three in the morning it was. He came banging and waking the whole house. My Brother Tom wanted to bring it but Sam said it had to be me on account that Willow and me could make it cross country in no time at all on a fine day. It took us a few minutes more since we were riding through at night and the ice being a might slick."

Even being faced with bad news about Linwe, Esmeralda could not help but smile at Nibs Cotton. Esmeralda learned from Rosie that the lad was better at snitching pies than doing his chores, and could tell the most incredible tales in such a way as to almost make one believe he was telling the truth, which he seldom was. "Thank you Nibs. You go on out in the hallway, you will find Ivy out there pretending she was not listening to all we said in here. She will show you to the dining room. You will find Merry and Pippin there, you may have breakfast with them."

"Thank you, ma’am. And if there is anything else I can do, just say so." Nibs started to blush, "I would do just about anything for Miss Linwe, I mean Mrs. Baggins. She’s real nice, and she always likes listening to my stories."

Esmeralda smiled, took Nibs hand and squeezed it. "Thank you, Nibs dear, now go along and find Merry and Pippin."

With the parlor to herself Esmeralda sat down to read Rosie’s letter.

Dear Esme,

I am afraid that I am writing to you with sad news and to ask for your help. About two days ago when we had that ice storm, Linwe left the hole against our wishes to go see Mrs. Hornblower. We all told her that it was too dangerous, but she had promised Healer Burrows to look after Mrs. Hornblower while he was away. We did not even know Linwe left until she had apparently been gone for several hours. She had not been feeling well so after early breakfast she had returned to bed. I noticed she has been tired lately, but she has been busy the last several weeks so I thought that was all there was to it. At about eleven in the morning Frodo came to the kitchen. Sam asked if Linwe was coming along and Frodo said he assumed that she was in the kitchen as she was no longer in their room. Frodo some how knew immediately that Linwe had left. That odd habit they have of knowing what is going on with the other, does have it’s advantages.

Frodo set out on foot to look for Linwe, Sam followed along with the pony cart. They found her just a little ways down the road. She had apparently slipped and fallen, hitting her head on a rock. We are not sure how long she lay there, but her cloak was soaked through and her dress was pretty wet as well. There was ice starting to form on her hood.

The lads got her home and we put her in the tub and started warming the water slowly so as not to hurt her. It took about three hours and she only woke up and spoke once in that time. She seemed to be doing well enough by the time we got her tucked into bed, I figured all she really needed was rest. Frodo decided to wait up at her bedside anyway. Sam and I both checked in later in the night and all seemed well. The next morning when I went in, Linwe was awake. She said she was tired and had a bit of a head ache, and a mild fever, nothing more. Again, I felt all she needed was rest I gave her something for the headache and fever and she soon went back to sleep.

Linwe slept all that day and the next. She ate very little and was generally only awake long enough to take her medicine, and a few sips of broth. Last evening Frodo called me to their room about dinner time. Linwe had started coughing. I became a little more concerned at this point. I had thought she should be improving by then though she was still dependent on the medicine to keep her fever down and now she had a deep cough. I suggested that we prop her up on some pillows, that a change in position was all she needed. I did not tell Frodo but I decided that unless she was doing markedly better in the morning I was going to send for a healer.

I did not have that long to wait. Shortly after midnight, Frodo came and woke Sam and I. Linwe’s fever had gone up and the medicine was no longer doing anything for it. Bless Sam. He remembered that you were still visiting at Great Smials. Linwe has stored up a wide variety of herbs of which I know not the uses of. You should have all that you need here. I know there are a herbs she keeps that are known mostly to the Elves. Perhaps Merry, with his study of herbs, would know how to use those.

Sam is waiting to take this to my brother Nibs, he is the fastest rider we know. He is mad about Linwe, so I know he will get this to you faster than anyone. Please come as quickly as you can. We will hold off doing anything further as long as we can. We hate to have to put Linwe in a cold bath to lower her fever, so soon after her near freezing to death, but none of us know what else to do.

Wishing you Safety and Speed,

Rosie

Esmeralda took a moment to gather her thoughts then went to the dining room. "Merry! I need you to get the carriage ready. We need to get to Bag End at once. Linwe is sick."

"So Nibs was telling us. I sent word to the stables to get three ponies saddled up," said Merry.

"But Merry the carriage…" protested Esmeralda.

"Mother, if we take the carriage, we will not get there until tomorrow. After reading Rosie’s letter do you think Linwe can wait that long?"

"Well no…"

"Then you, I and Pippin will head out on pony back. We can take narrow trails and cut across country as Nibs did. We will not be able to go as fast as he did but we should still be there by afternoon tea. I know you are not fond of riding, Mother, but it is the only way."

 

~~~~~

It was early afternoon. Outside the sky was still full of gray clouds but it had warmed up and the ice had started to melt. Rosie sat by the sitting room fire listening to the sound of water dripping outside. She needed the few moments of rest, alone, away from all of the anxiety and fear that filled Frodo and Linwe’s room.

The task of caring for Linwe was largely repetitious. Without knowing what herbs in Linwe’s stores would be effective and how much to give her, there was little to be done for Linwe. The only thing Rosie could think of was to keep dosing Linwe with the same medicine that was no longer effective and getting as much fluids into her as they could. Frodo was now nearly incapacitated with worry and sometimes seemed to be sharing Linwe’s symptoms. Sam did his best to look after Frodo, getting him to eat the little amounts he would. Rosie sat at Linwe’s bedside and continually spooning water and broth into Linwe’s mouth, the one small defense she could give Linwe against the fever that was ravaging her.

The sound of dripping water was soon joined by the sound of hooves. Rosie opened her eyes and looked out the window. The site of the three familiar riders filled her with hope and relief. "Sam, come quick! They’re here! Merry, Pippin, and Esme are here!" shouted Rosie as she hurried for the front door. By the time Sam came to the door Rosie was at the garden gate to welcome the new arrivals.

"Rosie dear," said Esmeralda as she stepped back to look at the Hobbitess before her. "You should have sent for me earlier. You’re in no condition to be taking on such heavy nursing duties."

"They were not so heavy until last night. I really did not think Linwe was all that sick," said Rosie.

"Until last night we were more worried about Mr. Frodo," said Sam. "He has been fretting for Linwe something terrible."

"Well we are here now. Pippin, why don’t you take the ponies around and get them settled. Merry, let’s get inside and see what is to be done."

It was a grim sight that greeted Esmeralda and Merry when they stepped into Frodo and Linwe’s room with Rosie and Sam. Frodo sat in a chair pulled right up to the bed sleeping fitfully. His clothes were rumpled, his hair looked filthy, and he was slightly flushed and sweating as though he too had a fever. Linwe was in bed, propped up on a pile of pillows into a near sitting position. Her face was deeply flushed. Strands of hair were plastered to her sweaty face. She too slept fitfully. Esmeralda put a hand to Linwe’s brow. "Oh dear, she is burning up. What have you been able to do for her, today, Rosie?"

"I kept giving her the same medicine as before though I do not think it has done any good. I have also been spooning fluids into her, mostly water and broth."

"That was well done." Esmeralda glanced down at Frodo and noticed his face was flushed as well and touched the side of his face with the back of her fingers. "Frodo is slightly warm himself. Has he shown any other symptoms?"

"No he hasn’t. He just seems over tired from lack of proper rest, and we can barely get him to eat, but I don’t think he is sick."

"I think the first thing to do then is to get him out from under foot." Esmeralda reached out and gently shook Frodo’s shoulder. "Frodo? It’s Esme, dear, you need to wake up."

Frodo opened his eyes, lifted his head and blinked several times before fixing his gaze on Esmeralda. A look of relief spread across his features. "You’ve arrived! How long have you been here?"

"Just a few minutes, dear."

"Can you help her?"

"Yes we can, she is a very sick lass, but I think she will be fine. But the first thing to be done is for you to go with Sam, get something to eat, clean up and change your clothes."

"No, I would rather stay here."

"And I would rather you not! In fact I insist that you leave. I am not going to examine Linwe and discuss with Merry and Rosie what is to be done, with you here. We will not be able to speak freely with you in the room and there are certain things a husband should not hear, spoken in plain language."

"I want to hear the truth of what is going on."

"I am the healer here, Frodo Baggins. I will decided how to proceed. I will tell you what you need to know, in the manner you need to hear it."

"But…"

"No ‘buts’, Frodo. This is the way things are to be done. Sam take him out of here, you and Pippin are under strict orders to keep him out of here until after I have come to speak to him myself."

After the door was securely shut behind the departing Frodo and Sam, Esmeralda took a cold damp cloth from the bed side table and applied it to Linwe’s brow. At the touch of the cloth, Linwe stirred and opened her eyes. "Mummy?"

"I’m here, little one." Esme Replied without bothering to correct Linwe’s misperception.

"Mummy, my stomach aches and I feel hot," said Linwe.

"I know dear, you are sick, but I promise you that you will be feeling better soon. Now I want you to go back to sleep."

"All right, I will." Linwe coughed then her eyes drifted closed and she slipped once more into a fit-full doze.

Esmeralda brushed tears from her cheeks, then felt for Linwe’s pulse. "She has a rapid heart rate but judging by her cough her lungs are clear for the time being. "

"How bad is she?" asked Rosie

"She is a very sick young Hobbitess but nothing that cannot be cured. She has the grippe. A sever case of it but we will manage. The way to treat it is by managing the symptoms until she fights the illness off, however she complained of stomach pain, which does not usually go with this illness. I need to feel her stomach and check for hard spots and swelling to be sure she does not have something else making her ill." Esmeralda pulled back the bedding that covered Linwe from just above her waist down, and gasped. Beneath Linwe’s hips there were bright red splotches on her night dress."

"Mother, what is it?" asked Merry in alarm.

Esmeralda paused for a moment then turned her own pale face to her son, Merry, I need you to go to Linwe’s herb pantry and get what you need to make your grandmother’s remedy. Do you remember how she made it?"

"Yes, but what is wrong with Linwe?"

"I will explain later, go to the kitchen and make that remedy, and while you are in her pantry, look to see if she has a good strong sedative, or the ingredients to make one. You can tell Frodo that she has a bad case of the grippe and that Rosie and I are making her more comfortable and will be along shortly to give him more details. Do not let him come back here."

~~~~~

An hour passed before Esmeralda made her appearance in the kitchen, having left Rosie at Linwe’s bed side, and faced the expectant gazes of Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin. "How is she?" demanded Frodo "Will she be all right?"

Esmeralda sighed wearily, "Yes, dear, she will. Sit down and I will tell you all that you need to know." Frodo hesitated but then took a seat, Esmeralda took the seat next to him and turned to face him. "As Merry told you, Linwe has an especially sever case of the grippe. We can manage this and she should make a sound recovery. There is the danger of another illness setting in while her body is weakened by this one, however I am confident that with plenty of rest we will be able to prevent that from happening."

Frodo looked closely at Esmeralda, "There is something else you have not told me, isn’t there?"

Esmeralda reached out and took Frodo’s hands in hers, remembering the times she had held his hands in just the same way when he was still a boy. She looked upon the maimed finger and felt tears start to sting her eyes at the hardships that Frodo must have suffered that lead to the loss of that one finger. Esmeralda wished she did not have to add to those hardships. She blinked back the tears and looked into Frodo’s steady but worried gaze. "Yes, Frodo, there is something else." Esmeralda stopped and took a deep breath before continuing on. "Frodo, dear, did you know that Linwe was pregnant? Had she said anything to you about suspecting that she might be?"

Frodo’s eyes became very wide, "Pregnant? No, she has not said anything. Linwe’s pregnant?" Frodo filled with pure joy. He smiled and looked at the faces of those around him. As his eyes went from one sad face to another the joy slowly drained from his face and he once more turned a troubled gaze to Esmeralda. "But you said ‘was’, as in the past and no longer is."

Esmeralda lost the battle with her tears. "I am so sorry, dear. Linwe lost the baby. Her high fever was too much for the baby. Since Linwe said nothing to you, I suspect that she herself may not have known she was with child."

Frodo sat for a moment in shocked silence then slowly stood up and walked over to the fire place where he put his hands on the mantel and leaned against them. For several long minutes nothing could be heard in the usually cheery room, except for the crackling of flames and burning wood. Then in one sudden motion and an anguished cry Frodo swept the row of neatly displayed dishes from a top the mantel. "NO!" cried Frodo as he then swept the dishes from a shelf in the corner cupboard. Merry was nearest to Frodo. Moving quickly Merry put his arms around Frodo, pinning Frodo’s arms to his side. Frodo fought against Merry for half a minute, then crumpled to the floor sobbing, Merry went down with him holding Frodo tightly in his arms as his own tears slid down his own cheeks. "Why Linwe?" sobbed Frodo, "Isn’t it enough that she bears my wounds?"

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List