Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

East of the Moon  by IceAngel

Epilogue

“...You are most welcome.” Legolas grasped Jhov’s hand in a final farewell.

Afternoon sun cast the companions and their saddled horses in amber light. Their supplies, more extensive by far than for their original journey, were packed - and the journey awaited.

Mitra held onto the Elf’s hand a fraction longer than her husband, looking up hesitantly. “May I?” she asked, and Legolas bent his head indulgently to allow her to touch the golden strands of his hair. She blushed.

“I think she has taken a shine to you,” Eomer muttered as they mounted and turned towards the west.

Legolas smiled wryly in response, nudging his horse to the front of their line.

Eowyn watched the exchange with quiet amusement. After so many days of exertion and fear, she felt at peace. While they lingered in the palace grounds the desert heat was not oppressive. She did not yet think of the harsh journey ahead - only that she need not need to make it alone.

As Legolas passed her, straight-backed and looking to the horizon, she recalled the day they had set out from Emyn Arnen. She had hoped to know more of the Elf with whom they were building their new lives. As they had fought together to save Eomer’s life in the forest, she had looked to him for strength - and now relying on his calm presence had become a second nature. She hoped that in return they could offer him companionship and family in Emyn Arnen.

“Shall we race?” Eomer brushed her arm playfully as he passed, seemingly back to his old self.

“You know it would be futile contest,” she returned easily, joyous that their familiar sibling rivalry was restored. As he snorted and urged his horse forwards she caught a glimpse of the deep scratches Kaleri’s fingernails had cut across brother’s face. It would be some time before he was truly his old self. She would not quickly forget Eomer’s self-loathing as they has drawn him slowly from the lady’s influence.

“He will recover in time.” Faramir’s quiet words echoed her own thoughts as he drew up beside her.

She nodded. “It was the deception that cut deepest.” Her thoughts swung to Kaleri and Ritan, and her brief equanimity faded. She rested her hand on her horse’s steady neck as a calming influence. “I have little pity for the scheming wr - ” she bit off her insult, not wishing to reawaken memories of her husband’s suffering.

She glanced sideways and he returned a half-smile. His stilted breathing revealed that horseback was going to be an uncomfortable method of travel - but it was that or lengthen their stay. Faramir’s own words to Heithin at their departure from Rohan had set a time limit on their return, and should they not return within a month, their disappearance would cause more than a minor diplomatic incident.

“Checking up on your handiwork?”

Eowyn realised she had been staring. Faramir had indulged his wife’s as yet inexpert healing skills, and allowed her to patch him up. “For a time I thought I had lost both brother and husband in one day - I am not taking any chances.”

His eyes softened and he pulled aside his shirt to reveal clean bandages. “Fear not, - your gentle hands have both healed and avenged. Though this is not the wedding journey I would have wished for you.”

Eowyn thought back over the last hours, contrasting their trials with a typical wedding expedition.

She clenched her fist, feeling again the satisfying weight of her avenging blade as she had challenged Ritan on the stairs. His condescending expression had boiled her blood, but she had waited for him to take the first step - languidly drawing his curved sword and circling her. His palpable shock as she swept his first stroke easily aside was momentarily satisfying, but the skirmish was swift and she had not have long to enjoy the sensation. Jhov and a second ally stepped easily into the fray from their concealed positions, and made it a simple task for her to strike the blow that drove the man to the ground. His blade was cast aside and his hands pressed to a deep puncture to his chest.

The violent act itself brought her no joy, but her heart raced at the recollection and the knowledge that she had been instrumental in keeping her family whole. During this ‘wedding’ journey, she had witnessed first-hand her husband’s self-sacrifice to keep her and her family safe - and what other woman would have the opportunity to prove her own mettle in such a way? She had chafed at being confined behind the white city’s walls at the end of the war - and knew there would undoubtedly be trials ahead - but also perceived that this journey had forged a strong beginning to her marriage, and a bond between her closest kin.

She did not voice her racing thoughts, but from Faramir’s half-smile she suspected he understood.

“Perhaps,” she ventured, “we could go somewhere with a little less sand next year?”


I hope you have enjoyed the conclusion of this little adventure. It has been great to spend a little time with each of these characters, and to pull together a short, self contained adventure. Thanks to those who left comments on the various sites - very encouraging - and I was happy to hear that you enjoyed reading about this particular group of characters interacting, as it's perhaps a less common combination. Happy future reading!





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List