Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

What if Rangers Had Allergies?  by Alisha B

This is just a little humorous piece of a story trying to answer the question ‘what if Rangers had allergies?’ I bet their lives would not be so great, and their jobs a lot harder. *G*

Part 1 

Aragorn crept silently through the forest. He had been tracking a small group of Orcs for nearly a week and had now finally caught up with them. The Ranger had heard reports from local farmers and villagers that the creatures were causing problems. The Orcs would have to be dealt with.

There they were. Just through the trees Aragorn could make out the larger forms of four Orcs. This was a very dense section of the forest, and he knew that a surprise attack was important. If the Orcs were to scatter, they would have no problem using their crude bows to catch him from behind.

Just a little closer and Aragorn could get a clear shot. Silently pulling an arrow from his quiver, he notched it to his bow and prepared to pull it back. Suddenly, there was a very familiar tingle in his nose.

Aragorn froze. No, this could not be happening, not now. He wiggled his nose. Perhaps if he just ignored it. . . He couldn’t remember the last time that worked, but maybe today he’d get lucky. Well, in the next few seconds, he would know.

Aragorn shut his eyes and tried desperately to stop his nose. It was hopeless; he was going to sneeze. His mind, which for a moment had completely forgotten about the Orcs, screamed at him to hold his breath. That would at least soften it a little.

He could feel it coming, and with his bow in his hand, he couldn’t even cover his mouth to muffle the sound more. Then it hit him like a force of bricks. The sudden intake of breath was quickly followed by Aragorn’s meager attempt to hold the sound in.

The feeling passed and allowed Aragorn to open his eyes, fully expecting to see four angry Orcs staring at him. But no, the creatures were still busy eating. It had worked! Perhaps this week of tracking would not be wasted after all!

He raised his bow, determined to engage the Orcs. Then it came again, only now there was no warning. None at all! What a cruel trick.

“AAACHOO!”

That drew the attention of the Orcs very easily. . .

Before Aragorn had enough time to recover himself, they had scattered like startled deer. But at least they didn’t shoot at him. Yet. Quickly pivoting, Aragorn was forced to retreat. This had actually been the third time in as many days that he had alerted the Enemy to his position, and he was beginning to think that he would never be able to defeat the Orcs.

Or perhaps I should just cut off my nose right now and be done with it, he thought angrily as he pulled a handkerchief from his pocket. Blowing your nose while running was not the easiest thing to do, but Aragorn’s many, many seasons of practice made him a near expert.

Spring was definitely not his favorite time of the year. . .


Tune in next time to see what other troubles Aragorn can get into because of his allergies!

This story is dedicated to everyone who has ever suffered through an allergy season. I’ve only recently discovered the wonder of drugs to fix the problem, but unfortunately there weren’t any in Aragorn’s time. Future scenes include: Aragorn trying to remain inconspicuous in a bar, and the difficulties of tracking or hunting when your eyes are swollen and itchy. . .

Like I said before, just a little something that hopefully brought a smile to a few people who can relate to the poor Ranger. Reviews are welcome!






        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List