Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Price of Peace, Dawn of Hope  by Rorrah

Chapter 1.  The Return

Anólindë sat upon a hilltop with a basket of uncarded wool beside her.  She sat against the trunk of a stately willow tree, and her fingers were busy cleaning the wool to prepare it for spinning, while her mind wandered far afield.  She sensed someone approaching a moment before she heard the voice of her guard, challenging the newcomer at the base of the hill. She smiled at the serious tone of his voice.  Her guards had taken it upon themselves to guard her peace of mind along with her life.  When she came here looking for solitude, they restricted access to all but those whose needs were urgent.  For that small deed she forgave them all the other chafing restrictions they placed on her movements.

She had to wait but a moment more before Celleth, her old friend and advisor, crested the hill and swept under the boughs of the willow. 

“Forgive me for intruding,” Celleth began, continuing when she waved off his apology..  “There seems to be a problem with our latest delivery from the human settlement.  The council requests that you come and…” he paused searching for words, “offer your opinion.”

She felt the mirth bubble up inside of her and she smiled broadly.  “That was very diplomatic. Is my husband’s mother being difficult?  That sounds very near a plea for reinforcements.”

Celleth grinned at her sudden good humor. For usually when she sat upon her hill she was melancholy, her spirit weighed down with worry and concern.  “I think it is indeed a plea, for Thalarîn is a forbidding elf.”  He offered her his hand, and she pulled herself to her feet and made a token effort to brush off her skirt.

“Shall we go then?  Bring aid to the council in their time of need?”  But Celleth stopped her before she could lead them on.

He cleared his throat uncertainly, “Anólindë, I should warn you that Lamathen has returned.  You may want to clean up a bit first.  She is waiting to explain the details of the problem to you.”

Her eyes widened at his statement and she gave a quick frantic look around to make sure Lamathen was not hiding behind a bush, that she had not snuck past the guard and was about to pounce on her and wage war once again on her image.  Lamathen was convinced that a proper ruler of the realm was always neat, tidy and properly coiffed and she was forever pointing to Thalarîn as a good example.  So although she was not yet ruler of anything, Lamathen was determined to change her habits for that eventuality.

“Celleth, you realize your wife is a menace, do you not?” Anólindë asked, now putting more effort into cleaning and straightening her skirts and smoothing down her hair.  “She makes Thalarîn seem almost easygoing by comparison.”

“My lady, you wound me. Lamathen is a joy, she is the sweetest, most wonderful, most managing elf I have yet to meet.  Well next to you and the Queen…” he broke off and jumped quickly back to avoid the mock punch aimed in his direction.

“It will be good to have her back, although you may not tell her this. I believe I actually have missed her managing abilities.”

Anólindë laughed again and wondered at the joy she found.  A little laughter made all the difference to the feeling of a place.  She had come here so often burdened with duty, fear and sorrow, that the hilltop seemed a careworn place, full of darker emotions.  Now it seemed brighter, and she wished she could laugh away all the sorrow of her heart.  

She sighed, her mood suddenly sober.  For years now they had waited for the return of their warriors.  It was the first time in her long existence she thought she understood a mortal’s fascination with tracking time.  For the last seven years had seemed to last a century, and she felt she had aged accordingly.  Seven years of worry and concern relieved only by the occasional messenger with desperate requests for supplies and the incoherent gossip of the birds.    The Alliance was their best hope for peace, but the costs already seemed so high.  She was concerned for her people, but her biggest worry lay with Thranduil, her husband.  They had had so little time together as a married couple before he left for battle.  So few memories to recall when she wished so desperately to distract herself from worry of his fate. 

She shook herself out of the sudden reverie and tried to regain her old mood with a small smile.  “We should go.  I believe I am now presentable enough to pass muster, even with your wife.”  They started down the hill, but had made it only halfway when several of her guards converged on them and prevented their passage.

“Apologies, my lady, but someone is approaching fast,” Her guard explained.  “Please wait here a moment.”

Anólindë felt a twinge of concern and her stomach churned as she tried to mentally sort through the possibilities of what could be wrong.  With the absence of so many of their hunters and warriors, they had been having a difficult time. The last several winters had been unusually harsh and game was scarce.  They were not yet desperate but could easily become so if certain events did not favor them. 

There was an all clear signal, and her guard gave a quick bow and cleared from her path.  Before she could take more than a step however, Lamathen came into view, almost at a run.  She drew up suddenly when she came upon them.

“Anólindë, there you are…” Lamathen paused to draw breath and regain her composure.

Celleth looked as if he would interrupt but Lamathen shot him a quick look and nod indicating that she was well, and he nodded for her to continue.

“A scout has reported back early today. There are riders on the road,” Lamathen continued her words rushed.  “They are here!  They have come home.  The king has come home.”

Lamathen then lost what little composure she had and pulled both Celleth and Anólindë into a fierce embrace whispering over and over, “They are home.”

Anólindë thought her heart had stopped when she heard Lamathen’s words.  The fate of her husband changed suddenly from a nagging fear to full-blown terror.  She would know if he lived in a matter of hours.  She closed her eyes tight and prayed to the Valar with all her heart that he would come home to her this day.  She did not wish to consider the alternative.

She took a deep breath and opened her eyes.  The hillside was the same as it been a moment before, but she felt her world had been turned upside down, and she struggled to pull herself back together and to contain the tears that had gathered in her eyes.  She returned the embrace of her friends and then stepped out of their arms and rebuilt her composure a breath at a time.

“Come my friends, we have much to do and now little time to do it.”

She ushered them down the hill and back towards their people and as they neared one thought kept clamoring for attention in her mind.  In a short time she would finally know her status, wife or widow.

 





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List