Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

Merry swallowed nervously as the King of Rohan shut the door behind him and then stalked around to take seat in a chair opposite the hobbit.  “My lord King,” said Merry, trying to suppress the quaver in his voice, “might I be so forward as to remind you that I am to supervise the Lord Faramir and Lady Éowyn today?”

“Yet you do this at my word,” said Éomer, “and I may override mine own orders when there is a more pressing matter at hand.”

“What matter would that be, my lord King?”

“You know too well, Master Holbytla.”  At Merry’s expression he added quickly, “Nay, I do not condemn you for your feigned ignorance, for I would not envy you your place, stretched taut between two such fearsome rivals.  Lord Faramir is planning something, for I caught the glint in his eye this meal past; and I would know his intent if I may.”

Merry sighed, for he had known all along that he would have to say this.  “I will do as my liege-lord commands,” he said, “for I do know somewhat of this business; but before I tell those parts of the tale I know, may I first hear how it started from your own lips?  I fear I have only Faramir’s testimony thus far, and it was not kind to you.”

“It was rightly so,” said Éomer with a rueful chuckle, “for I do confess that I was dishonorable toward him.  You must understand—it was for the greater purpose of testing the man’s mettle; for if the man is to wed my sister his worthiness must be proven to me beyond all doubt.  I goaded him, but for long he gave no answer; and that bodes ill.  The men of Gondor may be grave and slow to anger, but we of the Eorlingas do not hide our passions; and I began to fear for the truth and strength of Faramir’s love, and for his power to defend my sister against all ills.”

Merry thought that Éowyn did not particularly need defending against anything, but wisely kept this to himself.

“And so,” continued Éomer, “I goaded him further, until by an insult to his mother’s memory I rendered him unable to remain silent without dishonoring her.  Even then, though, he would not challenge me to a contest of arms.  Yet when I beheld him at the noon meal I saw he intended some sort of reprisal.”

“He does,” said Merry.  “He has written a letter to one of his cousins, which he had me deliver shortly before luncheon.  He is planning something, though I do not rightly know what it is, and he wishes to involve me in the matter.”

“A cousin?” said Éomer, leaning forward.  “That would be one of Imrahil’s sons, then, I deem; and who better to draw into a matter that concerned Imrahil’s own sister?  Still, I am disheartened that he has sought the help of others if he wishes to achieve satisfaction in this matter.”

“But I don’t believe he is going for satisfaction by way of arms, my lord,” Merry added.  “He is far too subtle for that.  He told me that I should say nothing to you of the letter to his cousin, and moreover he said that I should try to get you to escort a lady at the feast tonight—which really confused me, but as I told him I wasn’t going to lie to you for his own plans—not that you wouldn’t sniff me out anyway if I tried—he said that I may as well go to you and tell you all.”

Éomer pondered this new set of information for a few moments.  “Then I will try to read his actions as I may; for though I have only been lately crowned, still I have had dealings with such wizardry.  I hope that Lord Faramir is indeed honorable enough not to stay you from your lord’s will and command.  At least he must know that you would go to me and tell me aught that he told you—in which case your news is not to be trusted.  It could be that this letter of which I am meant to know nothing is naught more than a glamour to turn my eyes elsewhere.  And moreover he knows that, though valiant your heart, you are not a counsellor to bid me how I shall act.  Any attempt to change my actions you would tell me immediately, as you have done.  So he must have guessed at this in advance, and intending me to keep myself from womanly company, told you to advise me to do the opposite.  Do you follow me?”

“Yes, my lord,” said Merry.

“Then it remains to be seen why he would do such; for I had always thought it wiser to keep myself from the claws of the court until such time as I had found a suitable lady to woo.  These are matters too great for man’s knowledge; perchance Éowyn will tell me of the workings of the court and I may learn more of his intentions.  I thank you for your telling me these things, Meriadoc, and command that you do not relate these dealings to Lord Faramir.  I regret that you must be so pitted in this struggle between us both.”  And with that, he left the room, and Merry to wonder what he was to do next.

But as soon as Éomer was out of sight, Merry felt incredibly sorry for him.  For while Faramir and Éomer may be match for each other both, Éowyn was on Faramir’s side, and she was more than a match for the two put together!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List