Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Apparent Chance  by Eärillë

Title: An Apparent Chance

Author: Eärillë

Rating: PG

Warnings: Sensitive Content (Betrayal, implied), First Draft

Summary:
Melkor is not happy with the people that he has. Wishing to expand his reaches, he approaches a band of people his brothers and sisters do not dare to disturb. He believes he shall also win, this time.

Genres: DarkFic, Ficlet, Vignette

Place and Timeline: the Outer Space, Young Eä

Characters: Melkor, OMC Maia

Words (in MS Word): 513

Point of View: Third Person General, Present Tense

Challenge: Day 1: Nan Elmoth:
Voltaire said that it's not enough to conquer: one must learn to seduce. Write a story or poem or create artwork where seduction plays a central role.

Story Notes:
In my universe, there are three groups of Maia: the Black (Melkor’s followers), the White (others’ followers), and the Free (nobody’s followers). Generally the Black and the White do not bother the Free, as the Free tend to keep to themselves, only interfering on urgent matters about the Firstborn and Secondborn. – But seeing that Arda is not even made yet, the Free is practically just a bunch of unpredictable people outlawed by the Black and the White, for that very reason.
I have to use names and spoken words here. But I imagine that those spirits speak in thoughts and Music (like in the Ainulindalë) and recognise each other through identities instead of names. For that matter, there might be some occasions where I use some form of identity recognition through hyphenated descriptions. And that is also saying that there is no incarnate form featured in this story; feelings are relayed, as well as I can, through aurae and emotions and thoughts.

Translation:
Higher Order/Spirits: the Valar and Valier
Lower Order/Spirits: the Maiar
Oshosai: Ossë, in Valarin
Spirits: Ainur

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are alone, surrounded by unformed, unoccupied space of eternal night.

Not yet occupied, anyway. And people are watching – spying – from far away; wary, assuming, judging.

“Young one.” – Dark, sweet, eager. Melkor floats nearer. His target backs away cautiously. But no, no defiance or aggressive defense… Not yet, perhaps. A good sign.

The hapless Free recognises him instantly; He-who-was-most-beloved-by-Father; He-who-antagonises-the-rest-of-his-brethren. A person to be wary of, as he was the first of the Higher Order to make a people when they were yet living with Father in the Timeless Halls. Nobody of the Free ever deigns to join any of the two groups that are now formed, and this particular Lower Spirit is one of them. – “What do you want?” he growls, as the thought passes through his mind.

Melkor radiates amusement. His target is catching up quickly. But still, he has to move swifter in order to avoid interruption by those pesky ones that are watching from a distance. – “You know why I approach you. And you know why you stay instead of fleeing like your cowardly friends. I highly appreciate such bravery, and such thirst for power. You make me remember myself, with such determination and powers that you have.” He pauses, scanning through the other Spirit, caressing lightly, sending thoughts of encouragement as sincerely as he can. (It has been a long time since last he acquainted himself with this feeling. But he has to do it now to attain his target. The pathetic, nearly powerless Lower Spirit is the only attainable person (for now) whose power affinity is near Ulmo’s. He can study Ulmo’s weaknesses through this weakling.) “You can show my idiot brother Ulmo that you are worth more than he ever thought, by joining my forces. You are going to be protected from him and his people if you are with me.”

And the Lower Spirit shivers with long-buried yearning and a sudden desire. He can rise higher, be mightier, than anyone of the Free, or the White, or the Black. He is going to be protected from harm, and possibly scorn as well. He is outside the Timeless Halls now, so Father can no longer protect him, and that necessitates this decision. The Higher Spirit before him is still the eldest of them all; surely it counts for something also?

He can feel Oshosai, a fellow Free with a similar power affinity, hovering nearest to where he is confronted by the Eldest. He can feel Oshosai’s stern disapproval, concern and warning. But it is just easy for the other Lower Spirit to reprove him so, he thinks bitterly; after all, Oshosai is more powerful than he is, and well-liked, and well-thought by Ulmo.

He is going to push the other down from his point of exultation. He refuses to be shadowed. He refuses to share.

But he refuses to bow down to a lord also, still.

Melkor leaves silently, then, vanishing with barely a trace. It is enough. The doubts have been planted, and they are seeding well. He is going to harvest the fruits soon.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List