Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Long-Expected Wedding  by Fiondil

Chapter the Twenty-Seven:

In Which There are Family Meetings and the Bride Makes an Appearance

In the end, Nolofinwë, at Findecáno’s insistence, agreed that they could give the carved commemorative bowl as a wedding gift together, for Nolofinwë decided he was no longer in the mood for shopping. When Findecáno showed him the bowl, he gave it a wistful look. "I wish I’d been there," he said, tracing some of the images with a finger.

"If you’d been there," Ingwion pointed out with a smile, "You would’ve been the one being crowned."

Nolofinwë shrugged. "Perhaps." And the matter was dropped as they left the tavern and made their way back to the palace. By now it was close to the time when the royal family normally sat down to dinner. No one in their party was hungry, but they dutifully joined the others and told them of their adventures.

"I shouldn’t have gone out," Nolofinwë said at the end of their narrative. "I should have stayed here."

"The damage is done and cannot be undone," Arafinwë said philosophically. "I am just glad you were not hurt." Then his expression became more troubled. "I did not realize some would see me as just...." He gave them a helpless shrug.

Nolofinwë stood up and went to his brother, pulling him out of his chair. "You are Noldóran. You did what I could not. You came back of your own accord and took up the crown and led our people out of Darkness. I do not know who the ellon is who accosted me. Perhaps he was one who initially followed my banner and turned back or came back with the other Exiles after the War of Wrath. I do not know, but I suspect his sentiments will not find favor among most of the Noldor. At any rate, I have already decided that at this All-Aman Council I keep hearing about, I and my sons will formally give you our oaths of fealty and then there will be no question as to who is Noldóran."

Arafinwë said nothing but gave his brother a heartfelt hug as everyone else looked on with approval.

"Of course," Nolofinwë said, giving his brother a sly look, "If you ever get tired of being Noldóran...."

Arafinwë laughed. "Then I will seriously consider handing the crown over to you, hanno, unless Findaráto objects."

"You’ll get no argument from me," Finrod exclaimed with a laugh.

Everyone else chuckled and the tension eased as the conversation drifted to other subjects.

****

The next day dawned fair but there was an air of anxiety within the palace. Over the last several days the wedding guests had been making their way into Tirion. Sometime in the early dawn, Eärendil arrived with Elwing and many from Aewellond and others came across the Bay of Eldamar from Tol Eressëa or from the Southern Fiefdoms but as yet, there was no sign of Amarië and none of those from Tol Eressëa had any news.

"I wasn’t even aware she was on the island," Haldir said to Finrod. He and his wife, Gwilwileth, along with Gilvagor and several other friends, had come to the palace to give their greetings after they had settled in their rooms at one of the city’s inns. Haldir was holding his infant son, Finglor, the elfling, only three, fast asleep in his atto’s arms.

"We haven’t seen Meril in a while," his wife chimed in, giving Eärwen a hug.

"The wedding is tomorrow," Finrod said with a sigh. "She should have been here two days ago."

They gave the ellon sympathetic looks. "She’ll be here, mellon nîn," Gilvagor assured him, "if for no other reason than Meril would sooner kiss an orc than miss this wedding."

The others laughed at that, knowing the Lady Meril all too well.

With Eärendil and Elwing’s arrival, all the rulers of Eldamar were now in Tirion. Arafinwë took the opportunity while Eärwen and the other Queens oversaw the final preparations for the wedding to introduce them to Nolofinwë and his sons. It was a somewhat awkward meeting, for Eärendil had much of his grandfather Turgon about him, not so much in his coloring, for he was golden-haired and blue-eyed where Turgon was dark-haired and grey-eyed, but in his features and the way he stood and spoke. Findecáno, when he saw his great-nephew, burst into tears and refused to be comforted. That upset Aracáno who became agitated over his brother’s weeping. Arafinwë finally had to send for Vardamir to take the two brothers in hand. Nolofinwë watched as the healer led his charges out of the room, his expression troubled.

"I’m sorry."

He turned to Eärendil who was looking upset himself.

"It’s not your fault, inyo," Nolofinwë said with a sigh. "Findecáno was very upset when his brother simply disappeared with their sister. Turucáno came to me to let me know what he planned, for he sought my permission to take Írissë with him. He refused to tell me where he had built his city, though, only saying that, when the time came, he would lead his people out to glory."

"And he did," Glorfindel said, for he, along with Finrod, Sador and their Vanyarin cousins were also there, "in the battle where Findecáno lost his life. Turucáno was able to rally the remnants of his brother’s army and bring them to safety, at least for a time."

Nolofinwë nodded, then turned to Eärendil, giving him a tentative smile. "Do you like swinging in trees?" he asked.

Elwing stifled a giggle at her husband nonplused expression. "No," he finally answered, "but Glorfindel does. He can tell you which are the best trees for swinging in." He gave the balrog-slayer a knowing smile and the ellon blushed.

"I thought you didn’t approve," Glorfindel muttered, not looking at anyone.

"I don’t, on principle," Eärendil said soberly. "But neither do I disapprove. You’re your own Elf, Glorfindel. How you choose to spend your free time is your affair. I know the children enjoy having you join them in their play."

"There’s nothing wrong with swinging in trees," Nolofinwë chimed in, giving them a haughty sniff. "It’s very relaxing. I do most of my best thinking swinging upside down."

"Which probably explains why you never seemed to think very clearly," Arafinwë said with a bland expression on his face. "All that blood rushing to your brain... can’t be a good thing."

Nolofinwë stared at his younger brother in disbelief and then, seeing the slightest glint of amusement in Arafinwë’s eyes, smiled wickedly. "Run," was all he said and then to everyone’s surprise, Arafinwë stuck his tongue out, making a rude noise, before rushing to the door with Nolofinwë right behind him, both of them laughing with manic glee as they ran down the hall.

Ingwë and Olwë just stared at one another for a moment and then burst out laughing, the younger Elves joining them.

****

Eärendil decided to see how Findecáno and Aracáno were faring and went in search of them, finding them in a small courtyard where a fountain played. They were sitting rather dejectedly on a bench while Vardamir knelt before them, speaking softly. All three looked up when Eärendil approached.

"I am sorry I upset you," he said without preamble. "I remember Anatar, though admittedly, my memories are those of a small boy. I regret I never had the opportunity to know him as an adult. I would like to share my memories of him with you if you are amenable and perhaps you can share some of yours."

"I think that would be a good thing," Vardamir said with an encouraging smile as he stood up. "What do you think?" he looked at the two brothers.

Aracáno shrugged uncertainly, looking at Findecáno for his reaction. The older brother stared at his lap, not speaking for a moment, and then he looked up at Eärendil and nodded. "You sound just like him," he said and then moved slightly to his left, implicitly inviting Eärendil to join them.

"That’s what Ammë always said," the Mariner said with a smile as he settled between the two Reborn, "especially when I was arguing with her about something."

The two Reborn chuckled. "Turucáno was a great one for arguing," Aracáno said, grinning hugely. "I remember this one time when...."

Vardamir watched the interplay between the three ellyn for a couple of minutes until he was satisfied that things were well between them, then silently left. None of the ellyn apparently noticed as they continued trading memories of one who still slept in Mandos.

****

Later that afternoon, a group of people were seen coming up the road leading to the Southern Fiefdoms. One of them was recognized and a runner was sent from the city gate to the palace to alert the Noldóran. Thus, when Lady Anairë arrived at the palace, she found a welcoming committee consisting of Arafinwë, Eärwen and Finrod. She greeted her brother- and sister-in-law warmly and gave Finrod a fierce hug.

"I knew you’d been re-embodied,"she said to him, "and I’m sorry I never made the effort to come see you, but I’m afraid I was feeling rather ambivalent about your being released. I hope you understand and forgive me."

"Of course, I understand, Aunt, more than you can guess, and there’s nothing to forgive," Finrod replied graciously, giving her a warm hug and kiss.

"We have a bit of a surprise for you Anairë," Arafinwë said as he offered his arm to the elleth to escort her into the palace. Eärwen and Finrod followed.

Anairë gave the Noldóran a jaundiced look. "I’ve told you before Arafinwë, I do not care for surprises. They have a nasty way of upsetting one’s life. I’m too comfortable and set in my ways to deal with any surprises you might care to foist on me."

"I’m afraid this surprise is not something you can avoid, nésanya," Arafinwë said gravely.

Anairë stopped in consternation. "What does that mean?"

"Come, dear. It is better if we show you," Eärwen said gently, taking the other elleth by the hand, which Anairë reluctantly allowed as they continued making their way towards the family’s quarters.

When they reached the main sitting room, Arafinwë paused before opening the door, giving Anairë a searching look. "I have thought long and hard about this, trying to find a way to soften the blow and prepare you for what is behind this door, but I could not, and so...." He opened the door and gestured for her to enter, which she did, giving him a puzzled look.

"Oh, Valar!" Anairë cried, stopping abruptly when she saw who was in the room waiting for her.

Arafinwë, Eärwen and Finrod joined her. Standing on the other side of the room, looking uncomfortable and nervous was Nolofinwë, flanked by his sons, with Findecáno on his right and Aracáno on his left. Vardamir was there as well as Court Healer in charge of the welfare of the three Reborn.

Arafinwë came up behind Anairë and placed his hands on her shoulders. "Findaráto was summoned to Lórien a couple of weeks ago to bring them back to Tirion," he said softly. "They’ve only been here a couple of days."

Anairë just stood there, staring in shock at her husband and sons returned, while Nolofinwë fidgeted, not quite looking at anyone, unsure of himself or his welcome. Aracáno was staring at Anairë with unalloyed confusion as if he weren’t quite sure what was going on but Findecáno’s expression became closed and unreadable.

"Will you not greet your husband and sons, Anairë?" Arafinwë asked gently. "I fear they have little memory of us as yet but I know from experience that the memories will return if we are patient."

Anairë did not reply. Slowly, as if she were in a dream, she crossed the space separating her from her family, standing before Nolofinwë, who looked upon her with a mixture of trepidation and hope in his eyes. He gave her a tentative smile, which smile seemingly broke through the elleth’s shock, for without any warning she hauled off and soundly smacked him one and then burst into tears, hiding her face in her hands.

For a moment everyone just stood there in shock. Nolofinwë rubbed his cheek where Anairë’s hand print was still visible and glared at his wife. "What was that for?" he nearly shouted.

Anairë looked up, her expression equally one of anger. "What do you think? You left me and now you’re back and you expect me to welcome you with open arms? Well, pigs will fly first."

"You didn’t want to come," Nolofinwë retorted with a sneer.

"And I suppose now that you’re back you expect everything to be the way it was before, don’t you," Anairë shot back. "No doubt you expect to share my bed as well." She gave him a disdainful sniff.

Nolofinwë reared back, his anger now turning to confusion. "Why would I want to do that? I have my own bed."

That apparently was the wrong thing to say, for Anairë raised her hand intending to smack him again but Arafinwë forestalled her, grabbing her arm.

"Enough," he said quietly but with authority.

Findecáno glared at Arafinwë. "She’s our amillë? I don’t like her. I don’t want her to be my amillë. She’s mean."

Anairë stared at her oldest child in shock which only deepened when Aracáno chimed in with, "Me, too. Why can’t Eärwen be our ammë? She’s nice and she doesn’t hit people. It’s not nice to hit people."

"You hit me all the time," Findecáno said to his brother.

"I do not," Aracáno protested.

"Do, too," Findecáno retorted.

"Well, anyway, I only hit you because you deserve it," his brother said with a sneer.

"Do not!"

"Do, too!"

"Whoa, youngsters!" Arafinwë said, grabbing Findecáno, who was about to launch himself at his brother, while Finrod took Aracáno in hand. The two brothers glared at each other and then Findecáno burst into tears.

"I do not deserve being hit," he said sobbing. "I’m being good. I promise."

Arafinwë rolled his eyes even as he gave the Reborn a hug and Finrod chuckled. "Aren’t you glad Lord Námo didn’t release my brothers with me?"

"The Valar help us!" Arafinwë exclaimed. "If he had, I would have sent myself to Mandos just to get away from you all."

Vardamir meanwhile, was attempting to comfort Nolofinwë, leading him to a settee where they sat together. Nolofinwë had ignored his sons’ argument, casting a confused look at Vardamir.

"Why does she think I want her bed?" the Reborn asked. "I have a perfectly good bed of my own."

Vardamir was at a loss to explain and finally said, "She was just being angry and didn’t know what she was saying."

"Oh," Nolofinwë said. "I guess that makes sense." Then he gave the healer a shy look. "Is she really my wife? She seems very... angry."

"Yes, she is, and she’s a very nice person. She’s just upset because she wasn’t expecting to see you and her sons. You have to allow her to get over the shock."

Nolofinwë nodded. "I guess," he said with a sigh. "I still don’t understand why she thinks I want her bed, though."

Vardamir just shook his head and tried not to laugh. In spite of all the high emotions, this had been a rather amusing encounter to witness.

Eärwen, meanwhile, had led Anairë to the other side of the room to give her a chance to compose herself. The elleth looked confused and bereft at the same time. "What’s going on, Eärwen? Why are they all acting like... like...."

"Like elflings?" Eärwen smiled. "Because they are, at least emotionally, even Nolofinwë. It will be close to a yén before they regain the maturity they had at the time of their deaths."

"Why now and why wasn’t I informed?"

"I have no answers for you, dear," Eärwen replied. "I can only tell you that you will need a great deal of patience. For some reason none of them actually remember you, though I promise the memories will return. You just have to give them time."

"But Nolofinwë... he’s my husband, yet... I couldn’t possibly take him back, not after all this time, not yet. He’s not the ellon I remember."

"No decision need be made yet," Arafinwë said, coming towards them. He had relinquished his hold on Findecáno, giving him over to Finrod to deal with as his son attempted to get the two brothers to reconcile. "I think it best if they remain here in Tirion and re-acclimate themselves to life here."

"And what do I do?" Anairë demanded. "Do I just return to the estate as if nothing has happened?"

"You were planning on staying for a while after the wedding, weren’t you?" Eärwen asked. When Anairë nodded she continued. "Then do and spend this time reacquainting yourself with your husband and sons. As Arafinwë said, no decisions need be made as yet. Let us take one day at a time. The wedding is tomorrow, assuming Amarië shows up and...."

"What do you mean?" Anairë asked in surprise. "She isn’t here?"

"No, she’s not and it’s too long a story to tell at the moment," Eärwen said. "Right now, let’s just concentrate on you and your family. Now, we’ve put the ellyn in a separate suite from yours so you needn’t worry about that."

Anairë nodded, then sighed, looking across the room to where her nephew was quietly speaking to her sons and Vardamir and Nolofinwë were speaking. She gave Arafinwë and Eärwen a rueful look. "I’d best start mending some fences," she said and went to her sons first. Finrod stepped away to give them some privacy. The two ellyn stared at their amillë warily.

"I’m sorry I hit your atto," she said contritely. "I promise not to do it again."

Findecáno nodded, looking suddenly shy. "I’m sorry I said you were mean. Findaráto says I don’t know you well enough to say that you are."

"Findaráto was always very wise," she said with a grateful smile to her nephew. "Now, why don’t you and your atto and I go somewhere and we will talk."

"What should we talk about?" Aracáno asked, looking doubtful.

"Well, you can tell me about...." She cast a questioning look at Finrod who smiled.

"You can tell your ammë all about your adventures in Lórien and pretending to be guards."

At that, her sons brightened, nodding enthusiastically. Nolofinwë, having overheard their conversation, stood and joined them, giving his wife a shy look. "Would you like to hear about my adventures, too?"

Anairë smiled, though her eyes were somewhat sad. "Of course, dear. I would love to hear all about it."

"I think it’s a great idea," Arafinwë said. "Why don’t you go to the gazebo. I’ll have Vardamir accompany you just in case and I’ll order the kitchen to bring you some wine and sweets while you are getting reacquainted."

In a few moments, Anairë and the ellyn departed, leaving Arafinwë, Eärwen and Finrod alone. Arafinwë gave a long sigh. "Well, one more crisis down."

His wife and son snorted in amusement, but before either could comment, Glorfindel came rushing in. "We’ve just gotten news that a party has arrived from Tol Eressëa," he announced, "and Amarië is with them. Sador, Ingwion and the others are already on their way to greet them."

Finrod gave a glad cry and ran out with the others following a bit more sedately. When they arrived at the front portico, they found most of the three royal families gathered there, along with Almáriel and Castamir. A group of people were seen crossing the plaza with Lady Meril and Amarië leading. Finrod went directly to Amarië and helped her down from her horse, giving her a warm hug.

"Oh, meldanya, how I missed you," he said warmly.

Amarië, however, did not return his greeting and he stepped back, giving her a puzzled look. "Amarië?"

"Lady Meril insisted I come and tell you myself," the elleth said somewhat coldly.

Finrod shook his head in confusion. "Tell me what?"

Amarië did not answer, looking instead at Lady Meril who had come to stand beside her. Finrod noticed the lady was looking rather amused, but he couldn’t see what was funny. He turned back to his betrothed. "Amarië, what is going on?"

The elleth straightened and gave Finrod a cold look. "I’m sorry, Findaráto, but the wedding is off. I don’t wish to marry you after all."

****

Words are Quenya:

Inyo: Grandchild, descendant.

Anatar: Grandfather.

Nésanya: My sister.

Yén: An elvish century of 144 solar years.

Note: Írissë , Nolofinwë and Anairë’s daughter, was known in Beleriand as Aredhel.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List