Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Unfaithful  by ChasingLiberty

Unfaithful

Chapter 4: Legolas Greenleaf is Luke Garcia

-Washington D.C.

“How was work?”

“Haldir, work is work.”

“Come on, you could do better than that!”

“Haldir! Please, I’m not in the mood!” Legolas said, exasperated at his persistent companion. “And why are you so interested in my business anyway?”

“FBI’s interesting,” Haldir replied simply.

“FBI’s damn boring,” grumbled Legolas.

“What? Tough day at work?” teased Haldir. “Come on, spill!”

“The director is an asshole,” grumbled Legolas. “His overlarge head is twice the size of his ass. It doesn’t matter whether you do a good job or not, the frown on his face is carved in. I have never seen him with a different facial expression.”

“Ha, ha,” Haldir said dryly. “Was Tenet that nasty to you?”

“Let’s just say that when I delivered the CIA’s papers to him, he sneered and told me there were holes in the research. Like I could do something about it! I’m not even in charge of filing reports! Asshole…”

“Did you tell him that?”

“Tell him what?!” Legolas asked, annoyed.

“Tell him that you couldn’t do anything about that.”

“Does Tenet look like someone that could be explained to?”

Haldir rolled his eyes. “If it were up to me, I could have done a better job to smooth things over… By the way, what did you say to him?”

“I told him he didn’t have to act like an asshole to someone who’s working to bring reports to him.”

“You said that and called him an asshole?” Haldir raised an eyebrow. He snorted and shook his head.

“What?!”

“If you treated him with a little more respect, he might have treated you better,” Haldir explained patiently.

“I’d like to see you try!” shouted Legolas, shooting darts at his friend.

“Like I said, I would have if given the chance---”

“Yeah, well you’re not the one who has to deal with him so shut up!”

Haldir frowned. “Why are you shouting at me?”

“Because I’m pissed!”

“Well good for you!”

Legolas glared at him. “Fuck you.”

“Fuck you back!” Haldir shot evenly.

They glared icily at each other for a few moments. Legolas took a deep breath. He glanced at Haldir and then burst out laughing. Even Haldir could not resist a smile.

“I- I really hate you sometimes, you know that?” Legolas managed to choke out in between laughter.

Haldir shook his head but grinned. “Nah, you love me!”

Legolas good-naturedly punched his shoulder. “I do not!” he protested.

They walked in silence for a few moments before Haldir spoke again. “I’m hungry.”

Legolas snorted. “All you ever think about is your stomach.”

“Let’s stop for lunch,” persisted Haldir. “I’ll let you choose the place.”

“About time you let me choose. We’re going to Tim Horton’s.”

“Fine, whatever.”

They walked into a large Tim Horton’s restaurant. The expensive glass building was one story high and had the large, red words, ‘Tim Horton’s’ plastered above the front entrance. The two friends walked over to a free ordering station. Legolas pressed the ‘order’ button.

“Tim Horton’s. May I take your order?” said the machine’s voice.

“Number eight deluxe meal, medium coffee with milk and sugar, and an apple fritter,” Legolas said clearly to the machine. “That is all.”

“That will be $12.95 US,” said the machine. “Cash, credit card, or debit card?”

“Credit card.”

Legolas slid his VISA credit card into the slot.

“Payment accepted. Change: none. Please wait for your order.”

In less than thirty seconds, the flap of the machine opened and a tray with Legolas’ order slid out.

“Thank you for eating at Tim Horton’s. Have a nice day.”

Haldir ordered next. After both meals were ordered, they sat down at a glass table.

“These machines are so much more efficient and faster than the old way of using cashiers,” commented Haldir.

“Definitely,” agreed Legolas.

“But unfortunately, no more hot girls to take our orders,” Haldir said sadly. “I miss that. The machines aren’t as attractive as they were.”

Legolas snorted. “Whatever, Haldir.”

Haldir was about to speak when a cell phone rang.

“Oops, that’s mine,” Legolas said, pulling a cell phone from his backpack.

“Hello?” he answered.

“Don’t move,” a low voice warned him.

“Who is this?” Legolas asked, frowning. “Rein---”

“Quiet!” hissed the voice on the other end. “Don’t move.”

Legolas froze. When Haldir opened his mouth to speak, he made a single gesture to cut his friend off.

“Look straight ahead,” continued the person at the other end of the phone, Reinhardt. Legolas followed the order and stared directly ahead. He found that he was staring at a man with a red cap. The man in the red cap looked directly at him with menacing eyes.

“He is going to shoot you,” Reinhardt warned him.

“What?” asked Legolas, completely confused.

“Quiet,” Reinhardt ordered again. “Watch him.”

The man in the red cap shifted his face so that Legolas could see him clearly. It was the man he had delivered a report to Director Tenet about.

“He’s after you,” Reinhardt said needlessly.

Legolas felt a burst of anger rise in his chest. “Why,” he hissed, “did you not tell me of the dangers ahead of hand?”

“You could have panicked,” Reinhardt’s voice was almost amused. “Believe me Luke, in my experience, I find that agents work better when they are not fully aware of the danger they’re in. In a way, you can say we are protecting you, Diaz.” The director used Legolas’ code last name.

“Protect my ass!” seethed Legolas.

“Keep alert,” warned Reinhardt. “He is going to shoot you.”

“Oh that’s excellent,” Legolas muttered sarcastically. “But I assume that’s not all what’s important to you.”

“Indeed, no,” there was a note of amusement in his boss’s voice again. “I want you to arrest him.”

Legolas said a very colourful word before turning his attention back to the man with the red cap. He noticed the man was reaching inside his jacket to pull out a gun. His elven ears caught the sound of the gun cocking. Seizing Haldir shoulder, he pulled both of them under the table as a shot rang out. It was followed by a succession of several more gunshots. The customers screamed in panic and scrambled around for cover.

“Wait for me here,” he ordered Haldir before darting away.

In the confusion and commotion, Legolas made his way quickly towards the man with the gun. From his crouched position, Legolas grabbed the man’s leg and pulled him to the ground. The man grunted as he fell to the ground. He fired a shot that missed Legolas’ face by inches. The former Mirkwood elf wrested the gun from the man’s grasp. They struggled for a few moments before they both got to their feet.

The man lunged at Legolas, who spun out of the way. Then, the keen-sighted elf took out a concealed knife and smirked at the man. He used his free hand to hit the man’s chest and then slammed the man against the wall. Legolas pressed the blade of the knife into the man’s neck.

“Why don’t you hold up your hands and surrender?” he snarled at the man. “If you don’t, I’ll have no choice but to hurt you.”

But the man pushed Legolas’ knife aside and scrambled away. Another gunshot rang inside the restaurant. This time, it was Legolas who fired a shot. The aim was directly at the man’s right leg. The man howled in pain before falling to the ground. In an instant, Legolas strode over to the man and had him cuffed.

Legolas pushed a lock of blonde hair behind his ear and pretended to smile hospitably at his victim.

“I am sorry,” he smiled pleasantly. Then he frowned and seized the man’s neck and slammed him hard against the floor.

“But I did say that I would have to hurt you if you didn’t surrender,” he continued nastily. “So I’m sure you would understand why I needed to fire a shot at you, jackass!”

Legolas turned to Haldir. “Wait for me at my hotel while I take this knucklehead into custody.”

Haldir simply nodded.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A fucking horrible day!” Legolas groaned as he flopped onto his bed. The phone rang and he groaned again.

“Answer the phone,” Haldir said to him.

Picking up the old-fashioned receiver like it was a poisonous snake, Legolas answered it casually.

“Hello?”

“You didn’t report within an hour,” said a stern voice. Legolas wished dearly to thud his head against the wall.

He sighed. “Fine! Fine! Sir, this is 111 reporting in. Mission completed successfully and the subject is in custody.”

Reinhardt chuckled. “That will do, Luke… I can see you’re not having a good day?”

“No, sir,” sighed Legolas. “I am not.”

“Well, good work.”

‘Thank you, sir. This is 111 signing off.”

They hung up. Less than a minute later the phone rang again.

“What is it this time?” Legolas sighed halfheartedly into the receiver.

“Legolas?” asked the voice on the other end.

“Elladan?”

“Yep, it’s me,” the voice laughed. “So, why are you being so rude, Agent Garcia?”

Legolas didn’t answer but made an angry noise.

“Legolas, my friend, you are grumbling,” Elladan pointed out innocently. “It is rather an uncomely noise!”

Legolas was just on the verge of growling when Haldir grabbed the receiver.

“Hi, Elladan!” he said brightly, shooting Legolas a look.

“Haldir, is that you?”

“Happy to hear from me?” he teased.

“Ha, ha!” Elladan replied dryly.

“So, what did you call about?”

“Nothing much, I just wanted to talk to Legolas.”

“Thanks a lot!” Haldir said, pretending to sound offended. He thrust the phone at Legolas.

“Elladan? What’s up?”

“Guess where I am.”

Legolas rolled his eyes. “I won’t even try.”

“Party pooper… I’m in New York!”

“New York?” asked Legolas. “Did you transfer schools again?”

“Hell, no,” Elladan said pointedly. “I’m here visiting Elrohir, Aikasse, and Alcarin.”

“Ah…”

There was a pregnant pause. “So, Legolas… who’s your girl of the week?”

“Elladan!” he said indignantly. “I’m not the one who made out for ten hours straight with a Prom Queen.”

“Hey! It was all in the line of work!” Elladan shot back. “At least I have a steady girlfriend.”

Legolas snorted. “Does Alcarin know about that chick secretary you hung out with when Reinhardt asked you to find out some password codes? Or that surfer girl you met when you tried to bribe the hideout address from her? And don’t forget the tennis chick you kissed in the storage shed.”

He heard Elladan scoff. “I only did all that because it was my job!”

“Your job?” Legolas asked disbelievingly. “Your job was to make out with every hot female you run across?”

No,” Elladan emphasized pointedly. “I do everything in my power to complete my task! I got the codes from that chick secretary didn’t I? And I got the hideout address from that cute surfer didn’t I? And about that tennis chick, I did arrest her and that murderous fiancé of hers afterwards!”

After you finished kissing her.”

“Hey! It’s not like I enjoyed it,” Elladan protested as Legolas snorted disbelievingly. “I had to get her to trust me so she would tell me where her fiancé was!”

“I suppose her fiancé was none too happy to hear what you did?” Legolas grinned.

“He wasn’t too thrilled,” Elladan replied casually.

Legolas scoffed. “Pardon me for asking, Elladan, but do you even remember every single girl you’ve done something to in your lifetime?”

“How the hell could I keep a track of that?” demanded Elladan. “From middle-earth until present day, the list of girls would be endless!”

“Oh Gods, Elladan! What do your parents think of that record?”

“It’s not like I tell my parents everything I do,” said Elladan, making it sound obvious.

“Speaking of your parents, are you returning to Chicago for Christmas?”

“Actually, yeah, I am.”

“Seriously?” Legolas raised an eyebrow. “You mean, unlike other times, you’re not too busy or something?”

“Ha, ha--- no,” Elladan said sarcastically. He paused. “Oh gee whiz. Look at the time I have to go! I’m meeting this agent at a restaurant…”

“Meeting an agent?”

“Yeah, my new co-worker or something,” explained Elladan. “A girl named Agent Evans.”

“A girl?”

“What’s your point, Legolas?” he asked impatiently.

“A girl, right?”

“Gosh!” exclaimed Elladan. “Give it a rest, will you? Anyways, I’ve got to go.”

“Fine.”

“Bye then.”

After they hung up, Legolas grinned and turned towards Haldir. He shook his head.

“You up for a little traveling?”

Haldir arched an eyebrow. “Are you paying for my insurance?”

Legolas rolled his eyes.

“Chicago, here we come.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note: LOL, a really pointless chapter! I have no idea why I put Haldir into this story. Oh well… I guess I was just in shortage of a character. Next chapter will be when Elladan meets Erin Evans. Hmm… I’d say he’d be more than shocked. What about you? So who exactly is this strange girl, Erin Evans? Tune in next week on 2050 A.D. and find out! J/K! I’ll try to get the next chapter up soon.

Thanks to Kelly, my beta-reader.

PLEASE REVIEW!

References to the Lord of the Rings (i.e. characters, places, events, etc.) are Copyrighted © Professor J.R.R. Tolkien. Original characters, plots, and events are Copyrighted © 2003 Alexis Delaflote, all rights reserved.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List