Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Look to the Stars  by Luthien Idril

A/N: Thanks to those select few who have reviewed so far! The more reviews I get the more I want to write and improve so keep them coming! I just thought that I would add that, yes, this takes place AFTER the War of the Ring…hope I didn’t confuse too many people. I also wanted to add that I am not in any way trying to write like Tolkien…even though I love the way he writes.  I am writing this in my own style and if someone doesn’t like that, then that’s perfectly fine. Everyone is allowed to have their own preferences and tastes.  I also would like to add that most of these towns and places that the companions will be going to do not exist on the map of Middle Earth. I enjoy creating my own settings and hope people don’t hate me because of it! I will mention that yes, Aragorn is the King of men and people like Avatre are merely the lords/Stewards of those lands since I’m sure Aragorn can’t be in all places at once. Thanks for reading this and hope you enjoy the next chapter!!

The Journey Begins

                “Come in,” Leetha called quickly wiping the tears from her eyes.  She turned as the door opened to reveal one of her servants, Taris.  Her hair was tide firmly in a bun and a long white apron that rested in front of her loose dress.  Taris had basically raised her since she was a child and Leetha thought of her as a second mother. 

                “Hello dear,” Taris smiled as she entered the room before swiftly shutting the door, “do you need any help packing your belongings?”

                Leetha shook her head and began taking more clothes out of her wardrobe placing them on her bed, “No, I am handling myself just fine.” She walked over and threw another dress onto the growing pile on her bed.

                Taris laughed, “M’lady, you are going out into the wilds, you cannot bring all of these with you, you must travel as light as possible.”  Taris began rummaging through her clothes sweeping a gray strand of hair from her face.

                Leetha sighed and slumped onto her bed watching Taris put back the clothes that she had taken out. “You are right, I know nothing of the path that lies before me let alone what items to pack.”  Leetha turned at looked blankly at her wrist, “My life has changed in a heartbeat.”

                Taris stopped and looked at her.  It pained her so to see her beloved Leetha in such discomfort and confusion that she sat on the bed next to her putting her arm around the girl, “Do not worry M’lady, you will have many of the best fighters with you for protection.  You will be safe and soon you will be returning home to us and all will be normal again.”

                Leetha shrugged, she hardly thought that was the case.  Although it worried her to have to leave her home, her heart beated faster in anticipation for the adventure.  She only wished that it did not sorely rely on saving her own life.  She turned to Taris and smiled, “You are right, I am well-protected.  Darian will be with me,” Leetha smiled before adding, “and Legolas.”

                Taris’s smile faded, “Be wary of the Elven race, especially with one with a face as fair as his.” 

Leetha frowned and looked at Taris in puzzlement, “What is it that you mean?”

“He is fairer than any mortal being and that is no different than a curse from an enemy.”

Leetha rolled her eyes, “Taris, do not be ridiculous!”

“Ridiculous?  Keira had the face of an angel and where did that lead us?  What was really hidden behind that mask?  Darkness and deception is what.  I have heard the stories of the elves, they are known to lure one with their grace and beauty only to leave them lost and alone into places unknown.”

Leetha snorted, “And what facts are there in that story?  It’s all make-believe and tall tales.  I have spoken to Legolas and he is not the wicked being that we’ve read about in stories.  He has offered his guidance even though he shall receive nothing in return.  That is more than I can say for others of our own kind.”

Taris stood putting the remaining items into the leather pack, “Perhaps so, but do not listen to whispers and songs in the night, I have heard that their gift of song is nothing more then a curse to us.  You have enough to worry about with Keira’s darkness upon you and I want to see you return home safely to us.”

Leetha stood and took the pack placing a kiss on Taris’s cheek, “I thank you for your words but do not worry,” she flung her pack over her shoulders and walked out the door, “I do not need two mothers to fret over me.”

                ******************************************

Leetha quickened her pace as she saw the rising sun.  She knew that she was late and she did not want to hold up her companions.  Leetha flipped her auburn braid behind her as she entered the stables.  The smell of fresh hay and leather greeted her.  Leetha smiled as she saw that one of the stable workers knew of her tardiness and already had her horse saddled and waiting. ‘They know me too well here,’ Leetha thought knowing that her tardiness had always been an issue. 

Her horse was tan of color with a white diamond on her forehead.  She smiled at her beloved horse and patted her muzzle, “Well little lady, are we prepared to travel further than the palace borders?”  Her horse snorted as Leetha mounted her.  One thing Leetha prized herself in was her excellent riding skills.  She tapped her horse’s sides to leave till a voice called after her.  She turned her head to see her mother running towards her, dress flowing behind like a curtain.  Leetha looked down as her mother stopped before her.

Arien gulped to catch her breath, “I wanted to give you this before you left,” Arien held out her hand and dropped the object into Leetha’s.  She looked at her mother questionably before opening her fingers.  A gasp escaped her lips as she looked at the shimmering jewel in her hand.  It was her mother’s pendant.  Leetha had never seen her mother without it and the light reflected on it making the crystal dance.

“I cannot take this Mother, it is precious to you,”

Arien held up her hand, “My mother had given it to me and now I am giving it to you.” She re-folded Leetha’s hand over the jewel, “It is for luck, my daughter, keep it with you always and remember that your father and I are thinking of you and anticipate your return.”

Leetha’s eyes watered as she slipped the pendent over her neck, “Thank you,”

Arien smiled up at her and stepped back.  Leetha gave her one last look, turned her horse, and trotted out of the stables.

                *****************************************

“Blast it all, where is that girl?” Darian dismounted his horse and paced, “Leave it to Leetha to have poison running through her veins, time is but the essence, and she’s still late!”

Legolas watched Darian pace and he dismounted as well, “Do not worry, she will be here.”

Darian shot him a look, “You do not know her like I do, she is like most women; forgetful.”

Legolas turned his head in disgust.  It was still amazing to him that some men still treated women no better then cattle.  Legolas wondered how Darian would react to find out that the Lady Galadriel was once a high ruler over the Elven race and respected as much as any male leader.

It was slightly passed dawn, Legolas, Darian, along with three other guard, Tyrell, Luskan and Harod were waiting for Leetha to arrive.  Legolas understood that Leetha was not used to travel and probably had a lot on her mind since the news from the day before.  The fair girl’s face flashed in his mind as she was being told that her life was in peril.  His heart quenched in his chest seeing the fear and sorrow race over her features and knowing that what little he could offer her in guidance may not be enough to ease the girl’s fears.  Legolas may have understood Leetha’s tardiness but Darian did not as he continued to pace and look back to the stables waiting for her to arrive.

“This is all I can wait,” Darian went back to his horse, “I am going to look for her.”

“That is not necessary,” Legolas called as he patted his horse’s forehead.

Darian stopped and looked over to the elf, “And may I ask, why?”

Legolas looked to him, “I can hear her speaking in the stables.”  Legolas’ sharp ears could hear not only Leetha’s voice but her mother’s as well. “She will be here shortly.”

Darian snickered and looked to the other guards, “You can hear her, huh?  Well my friend, I am a prized hunter and tracker as well.  I can tell the difference between the flaps of a robin to the flaps of a bluebird from leagues away.  I do not hear anything.”

Darian’s arrogance was unnerving Legolas but he remained calm, “She will be here shortly, have patience.”

“Patience?”  Darian’s voice rose, “There is no time!  Leetha’s life hangs by a thread and you tell me to have patience?!”

 “It will do no good to jump to conclusions about everything and feel you must take charge.” Legolas turned and glared at him, “That is how ‘men’ get killed.”

The guards looked at one another whispering as Darian’s face began to turn red. “Is that so? You seem to think you know much about the race of men.” Darian’s expression surprisingly softened and he smiled at Legolas, “Is that why the race of Elves are almost gone while the race of men strive?”

The guards gasped and Legolas’ eyes grew cold.   His tolerance for this man was nearly spent as a stab of pain raced through his heart.  If Darian could strike a nerve within the stable elf, then he had done so.  Legolas grieved over what had happened to the first born race of Middle Earth and did not need it thrown back at him.  His jaw clenched as he balled his fists tight enough for his knuckles to turn white.

Darian smiled again as he walked up to Legolas.  He stiffened as Darian placed a hand on his shoulder, “Forgive me master Elf, my words were harsh.  If we are to be traveling together then we must learn to tolerate one another and accept our differences, am I correct?”

Legolas looked into his dark eyes and read them clear as glass.  Darian could care less of his words spoken and was simply putting on an act for the guards.  Legolas nodded and swiped the man’s hand off his shoulder.  Darian turned and smirked up at the guards but his attention went back towards the stables as Leetha emerged from the doorway. 

She kicked at the sides of her horse and trotted faster towards them.  Leetha could tell even from a distance that Darian had grown impatient and she adjusted her necklace nervously as she came to a stop before them.

Darian glared up at her, “We have been waiting.” He stated bluntly.

Leetha swiped a loose hair over her face. “I apologize, I had trouble packing and Mother stopped me in the stables to say farewell.”

Darian mumbled under his breath as he mounted his horse. “Well, since *now* we are all here, let us go then?” 

Leetha’s gaze went to Legolas who shrugged and smiled at her.  He adjusted his quiver, turned and swiftly swung onto his horse’s back.  Leetha’s mouth dropped open.  She couldn’t help but be impressed how easy he made it seem, especially since there was no saddle on his horse.  Legolas cast a glance at her and Leetha quickly looked away not wanting to be caught gawking.

“Well, Master Elf,” Harod stated, “where is it that you are leading us?”

Legolas looked to the guard, “Lord Avatre told me that he knows of a man living in Fayfort who may help us locate Keira.  He is said to work along-side the Steward there as well.  We ride east and go by the man’s instructions from there.”

  Legolas leaned forward, “Nor Dur-hith.” He spoke to his horse as she went into a gallop.

Leetha took one last look at her home, the only place that she had ever known all her life.  A lump began to form in her throat as she realized that this may be the last time she will ever see her home again. Leetha shook her head as if shaking off that idea completely.  ‘I WILL return home and I will have quite the story to tell people afterwards.’ That thought in mind she set her gaze back towards her companions following behind the elf.

“May as well start the adventure sometime,” she mumbled to herself.  She clicked her tongue as her horse set forth after them.

                **********************************************

Three days had past since the six companions left Vierna.  In the beginning, small conversations held in the air.  Darian told on-going stories of his many adventures and successful hunting trips while the other guards would pipe in as they remembered other versions of the tales.  Leetha had begun to relax as the travelers progressed and would now and then try and enjoy the new sites and sounds that were going on around her.  It was only at night that Leetha would become restless.  Her mind would keep going back to what their mission was truly about and it scared her that there was a chance that they would fail.  Often she would sit up from the ground and see the silhouette of Legolas standing guard while they rested.  It seemed unsettling to her that she had not seen him sleep since they had left and she wondered if Elves ever slept at all.  Leetha was still slightly uncomfortable around Legolas, often she had to struggle to find words when she talked to him.  She had so many questions she wanted to ask him about his adventure with the war of the Ring.  She found herself turning to him to ask but as soon as he would turn his gaze towards her, she would look away.  Legolas stayed singled-out in front of them as he lead them on, speaking little and every now and then turning to glance behind him making sure that everyone was staying close and giving small, reassuring smiles at Leetha.

It was mid-afternoon on the third day when the group stopped and Leetha’s eyes widened as she peered into the dark forest that stood in front of them.  She looked left and right noticing that the woods stretched across the plains as far as her eyes could see  When she looked into the forest , she saw no light at the end of them “We are *not* going in there,” she turned to Legolas, “are we?”

Legolas stared into the trees and turned his gaze to Leetha, “Aye, that is our path.”  He grinned as he added, “do not worry, the trees will not harm you.”

Darian pulled his horse beside the elf, “Is there not another way around this place?” he asked.  “I sense fouler things in there besides the creaking bark.”

Legolas nodded, “Yes, trees are not the only things to worry about but our path goes through it and an alternate course may delay us by a day or more.”

“I think I would take my chance with the other route.” Luskan piped in.

“I do not find that wise,” Legolas spoke looking over to the guard, “that course will drive us into the cliff side and unless we plan on leaving our mounts behind…” Legolas trailed off as he tipped his head towards the forest, “there are six of us and I feel we can fend for ourselves.”

Darian nodded, “Agreed, we do not want to lose the horses or risk delaying our journey so lead us in, Master Elf.”

Legolas eyes pulled forward as he entered the shadows of the trees.  Leetha glances towards the alternate path Legolas had mentioned.  A large snowy mountain littered with dark rocks shown a few leagues away.  Judging by the height of the incline and the sharpened edges, she knew she also agreed with Legolas and galloped her horse to follow him. 

Minutes felt like hours as they traveled through the hushed land.  Leetha’s eyes remained wide as she constantly looked around her when a twig snapped or a brush shook.  The foliage was thick save but a narrow path, ‘if you could call it even that’ Leetha thought miserably.  So the companions rode single file, Leetha trailing behind Legolas and Darian close behind.

Legolas was not as bothered by the surroundings as the others.  Mirkwood had seen its days of darkness and this area seemed brighter compared to Fangorn Forest he had traveled years back with Gimli.  A small grin formed on Legolas’ face as he remembered the many crude reactions Gimli held while walking through the trees.  Those days brought nothing but grumbles from the dwarf’s lips and shakes of the head when Legolas would tell him of the beauty of the tress when they spoke to one another.  Gimli would always cast a glance at Legolas while mumbling, “Elves.”

The foliage began to widen around them and Darian pulled his horse back to speak to the youngest guard, Tyrell.  Leetha put her nails to her lips and bit at them nervously.  She still felt uncomfortable around these strange new settings, ‘Is this not what I asked for?’ Leetha thought to herself, “A little adventure?  And here I am biting at my nails which Taris finally got me in the habit to stop doing.”  Although her mind told her this is what she wanted she still couldn’t seem to make her heart understand as it thudded in her chest.

Legolas glanced over his shoulder and chuckled as he saw Leetha biting her nails with eyes as wide as a frightened owl.  He spoke softly to his horse tugging slightly on the reins, slowing her down so Leetha pulled up next to him.  Leetha seemed not to have noticed that the elf was now beside her as she looked at a shaking tree limb.

Legolas reached out his hand, “Are you alright?”

Leetha gave out a screech as Legolas’ hand made contact with hers and she whipped her head around, eyes wide at him.

Legolas shot his hand back not expecting such a high shrill to escape an ordinary human.  “I…..um….” Legolas stammered as he shook off his shock.  He looked at her and laughed, “I am sorry.  I did not intend to frighten you like that.”

Leetha slumped over as she laughed at herself.  “No,” she said bringing her hand over her racing heart, “you just startled me is all.  I did not hear you move beside me.”

Legolas smirked, “Well, now every creature within one hundred leagues will have thought that a Nazgul was just run over by a wagon.”

Leetha laughed again, “Well, that ought to keep them away from us then?”

“Indeed,” Legolas mocked raising his eyebrow at her.

“Is everything in order up there?” Tyrell questioned.  Legolas and Leetha both turned, “Yes.” They answered in unison.

Darian glowered, “That *noise* would have been heard.  I do not think it is wise that we allow every creature in this place know that we are here.”

“They would have known long ago that we are here,” Legolas stated voice unwavering. “The sound of six horses carries far to those creatures unaccustomed to it.”

The guards exchanged worried glances and Leetha leaned towards Legolas. “Is that true?”

“Yes,” Legolas replied, “but it is often best to not think of such things.  Most creature that live here are not dangerous unless they feel threatened and even they’d rather run than pursue.”

Leetha glanced around her yet again still feeling unsettled by Legolas’ comments.

Legolas looked over to the girl noticing that she was looking out into the endless woods again.  He looked down guiltily realizing that his words prior must have not settled well with her already worried thoughts.  “That is a lovely horse.” Legolas said changing the subject as he looked over Leetha’s mount.  “It appears to be one that only the best of riders could handle.”

Leetha turned her attention back to the elf. “Yes, she is a fine horse.   I have ridden her for many years.” She unconsciously sat up a little straighter at the compliment.  “I actually am the one who saved her life.” 

Legolas tilted his head questionately for her to continue.

“She was found running wild through the streets of Vierna, we figure she had gotten loose from a traveling caravan.”  She patted the top of her horse’s head.  “No one could trap her or get a rope around her so they were going to fire arrows at her to slow her down and or kill her.  They figured she was too wild to train and she could easily hurt someone running around like that in the streets.  Luckily, I was on one of my excursions out of the palace.” 

Legolas chuckled somewhat at that reminder of how he had first run into her.  “I see you do that often.” He teased.

Leetha blushed and nodded as she continued, “I cut down one of the ribbons hanging from a seller’s stand and slowly walked up to the horse speaking calmly to her.  She stopped running and kicking and I got close enough to slip the ties around her and lead her back to my home.  I trained her myself with the occasional help of stable workers and have ridden her and only her ever since.”

Leetha turned back to Legolas catching his blue eyes with her green ones.  “I am truly impressed M’lady, you indeed did a brave and noble thing that day and I’m sure your horse is thankful for that.”

Leetha broke her gaze and blushed.  It was at that time that she realized that this was the first time that she had actually held a conversation with him.  She had forgotten her worries about talking with this magical creature and having him call her brave and noble was a large compliment indeed.

“What is her name?”  Legolas asked interrupting her thoughts.

“Her name is Cattie-bree.”  Leetha answered.

Legolas’ head tilted again and Leetha giggled.  “It doesn’t mean anything, I just named her after my cat that had died a few months prior.”

Legolas couldn’t help but grin as he shrugged.  “It must have been a wonderful cat.”

Leetha understood the jest and laughed, “You bet it was.”  Leetha gazed at Legolas’ ride, “What about your horse?  Does she not also have a story?”

Legolas looked down at his horse and sighed as he looked at Leetha.  “One too many stories I would say but I will tell you she has been a good companion these past few decades.”

“I hope to hear them sometime.”  Leetha spoke honestly.  “But I would like to know, is it common for an elf to ride a dark horse like yours?”

Legolas shot her an unreadable glance and Leetha quickly added, “I mean, not to judge your race or anything but I imagined Elves riding through the plains on white magical horses or something along those lines.  A black horse is one that I would not picture…not to be rude you understand.”  Leetha looked at Legolas afraid that she had offended him but the look he gave back was nothing of the sort.

“You are correct in your judgment,” Legolas stated, “Elves are not known to ride black horses but just because a horse is dark does not mean that it is dark of heart.”

Leetha nodded, “You are quite correct there and besides, you’re horse is not ALL black.  She has very unique white marking on her that I have never seen before on a horse.”  She looked back to him, “Does she not have a name as well?”

Legolas smiled at her, “She is named Dur-hith.” Legolas noted Leetha’s blank gaze, “It means ‘Darkmist’ in the elvish tongue.”

“Ah,” Leetha understood, “a fitting name for her.”  She could not help but add, “Not named after a cat I imagine?”

Legolas laughed, “I sure hope not, my cat was yellow.”  Leetha couldn’t help but smile  He looked straight ahead then, “….And his name was Furball.” He added.

Leetha convulsed forward as laughter consumed her at the unexpected statement.  She threw her head back filling the quiet woods with laughter.  Legolas laughed along with her, his melodious laugh mixing with her gasps as she tried to catch her breath.

“That would not sit to well with your horse I would think.” She managed to say as she wiped tears from her eyes trying to compile herself. 

Legolas laughed again, “Agreed.”

Leetha took a long breath and managed to cast a scornful look at him for the trouble he was causing her which only added to the humorous scene already laid before him.  Legolas laughed again and Leetha felt her heart warm.  She found Legolas’ laugh had a calming and contagious effect and she did not realize it but she had completely forgotten her prior fears.  Legolas knew that although Leetha’s worries would return to her he could at least give her some peace of mind, even if it were only for a few moments.

                *******************************************************

Darian stared straight ahead watching the scene before him.  His face grew hot as Leetha’s head continuously threw back in laughter at whatever the elf was saying.

“My Lord?”  His thoughts were interrupted as Tyrell looked at him questionably. “Is everything all right?”

Darian turned to the guard beside him, “Yes, I am fine.” He turned glaring at Legolas’ back, “There are *things* in this forest that are churning my emotions.”

Tyrell didn’t seem to take notice who Darian was referring to.  Instead he peered out into the forest. “Aye, this place has too many shifting shadows and creaking limps for my taste.  How much longer do you think we will be in here?”

Darian shrugged, “Andaith Forest is known to lead travelers astray, let us hope that our guide knows where he is going and does not get us lost.”

“Do not fear, Master Darian.” Darian jumped slightly and turned when he realized that it was the elf who was speaking to him. “I know where I am going and we should be out of this place no more than two days.”

“Two days!” Gasped Luskan, “Why does it take so long?”

“The foliage is thick and the paths are narrow,” Legolas answered, “these facts work against us and slow us down but do not fear, I know the way.”

With that the group became quiet again.  Darian was still somewhat puzzled that the elf had heard the conversation between him and Tyrell.  He glared at the elf’s back, ‘I must remember to watch what I say so that the elf does not overhear again.’  The last think Darian wanted to do was to anger the elf enough so that they risk the chance of losing him.

Leetha felt her nerves begin to creep up on her again as there conversations ceased.  She snuck a glance at Legolas who was now staring straight ahead.  Again, Leetha notices a light that seemed to illuminate around him.  She had thought she had seen it as well when she first caught sight of the elf in the village and Leetha now wondered if it was a common characteristic of the elves or if her eyes deceived her.

Legolas’ head suddenly snapped to the side and he pulled his horse to a halt.  Leetha and the others did the same and a rush of panic filled her chest.

Legolas remained completely still save but his eyes as they swept the area around him back and forth.  He knew that he had heard something and it was not just a small animal scurrying away.  This one sounded large and was tracking them.  Legolas furrowed his brow as he tried to see the cause of the noise.  He hated the feeling of being hunted without knowing the source of his worry.  It was then Legolas heard a low snort, a noise no one else in the group heard but himself.  Legolas’ heart began to beat faster in his chest when he realized that this creature was very near to them.

Legolas leaned sideways towards Leetha never taking his eyes from the woods. “I want you to begin moving ahead of me.” He whispered to her as he looked over his shoulder to Darian. “And I want you to pull up next to Leetha and the guards to follow behind.”

Leetha looked at him wide-eyes as concern washed over her, “You’re not going out there alone are you?” Legolas simply nodded without looking at her.  She realized that he could probably handle these situations by himself but she still did not like it.  She looked at him once more and flicked her reins as Cattie-bree began to trot forward.  Darian was not so willing and he pulled up beside the elf, “I can help track him you know.” Darian explained, “I am a champion hunter and have dealt with these animals before and will have no trouble…”

Legolas held up his hand silencing him. “That is fine if you are hunting normal game animals,” he turned back to the silenced woods, “this is not one of them.”

Darian’s anger boiled, “Now see here, I can take down any creature whether be hawk, eagle, wolf, bear, dragon…”

“Quiet,” Legolas hissed as Darian’s voice rose, “arrogance will not save you from this foe.” Legolas leaned to the man’s horse’s ear, “Noro lim,” and Darian cursed as his horse shot forward.

The other guards followed after Darian and Leetha all casting suspicious glances at Legolas as they left him behind.

Legolas sat silently on his horse watching as his companions moved on down the path.  Although Legolas did not fully like Darian, he trusted him enough to be able to find his way out of Andaith and to Fayfort if something should happen to him.

Legolas slid off Dur-hith, grabbed his bow and fitted an arrow to the string.  “Dartho so, Mellon nin,” he whispered to his horse as he began to creep silently into the dark forest.  All sounds had completely ceased as Legolas walked through the underbrush.  His senses heightened as he began to rely on his ears rather than his eyes as light diminished between the thick trees.  A strange odor slowly began to fill his nostrils.  He knew that the creature was close yet he could not tell where it waited.  Legolas quickly turned to his left as a limb from above went crashing to the ground.  Legolas pulled the arrow back on the string and his arm stiffened ready to target anything that should fall onto his path.  He twisted his torso as leaves, twigs, and more limbs began falling from above him.  He looked up as a shadow darted over him.  His eyes widened and his brow creased as he struggled to see what it was moving among the branches but to no avail.  Legolas suddenly heard something approaching him quickly from behind.  He turned swiftly and prepared to fire.

                ****************************************************

“I do not think that we should have left Legolas behind.”  Leetha was now following behind Darian who had finally gotten his horse to slow down to a walk.  Luskan, and Harod followed behind Leetha with Tyrell bringing in the rear.

“I agree,” Tyrell piped in, “I do not think it wise to separate ourselves from him.”

Darian grunted, “Need I remind you both that it was his idea in the first place to go and investigate alone.  He’ll be fine.”

Leetha reluctantly agreed with Darian, Legolas of all beings should know how to deal with these situations.  They had been separated from him no more than a few minutes but Leetha kept looking back in hopes that he would be coming down the path safe and sound.  She twirled her pendant nervously between her fingers.  It still didn’t sit well in her heart though that Legolas was on his own possibly battling with a creature she only had prior nightmares about.

Leetha glanced behind her again before turning forward, “Darian, do you know where it is that we are going?”

Darian sat up straighter, “Of course I do,” he stared straight ahead, “do not fear Leetha, I will get you out of this place safely.”
                ‘I highly doubt that,’ Leetha thought to herself bitterly.  She looked up through the limbs of the trees and realized how quickly that light was fading.

“Shall we set up camp for the night before we lose all light?” Harod asked as if reading her thoughts.

Darian nodded, “As soon as we find a wider clearing we shall stop to take rest.”

Leetha sighed.  The idea of sleeping in this place wasn’t one of her top choices.  She suddenly hissed through her teeth as pain shot through her arm.  She looked down and unrolled her sleeve enough to inspect the mark.  Legolas was right, the mark appeared to be growing longer.

Darian turned then, “Are you feeling all right, Leetha?”

She looked ahead and saw worry on his face. “Nay, I am fine. I’m just getting a bit wary.”

Darian nodded and turned to look down the path they were leaving behind.  Darian’s face changed then from worry to shock as his mouth dropped open.  Leetha spun around at what Darian was seeing and gasped.

                                ****************************************

Legolas spun around and prepared to fire.  He stopped suddenly as his target came into view.

“Tyrell,” Legolas gasped as he relaxed his arm, “what in Valar’s name are you doing here?”

Legolas tried to hold back his frustration from showing on his face as the young guard ran up to him and unsheathed his sword.  “I thought you could use some help out here.  My father used to always tell me; no one gets left behind.”

 Legolas’ face softened.  He did not like the thought that Tyrell had snuck up on him but the idea that this guard had come all the way back to help him made Legolas feel grateful.

Legolas smiled slightly at him, “I thank you,” his smile faded, “but I do not believe this is any normal creature that we may be dealing with.”

Tyrell’s eyes widened as his hand tightened around his sword. “What is it then?”

Legolas looked up, “I do not know but it is tracking us.”
                Tyrell swallowed and followed Legolas as he began to move again.  Everything was growing dark and shadows appeared to be dancing all around them.  Tyrell stayed close to Legolas’ back trying to match his silent steps as the elf pushed forward.  A bird above abruptly gave out a loud shriek and the leaves fell as it flew off.  Tyrell and Legolas stiffened.  Legolas looked above and then back to the floor.  Tyrell continued looking up at where the bird had left.  A small amount of light peeked through holes through the silhouette of the trees as the wind brushed by.  Tyrell’s eyes widened as a pair of tinted light moved unnaturally with the sway of the wind.  He recognized them right away as a pair of glowing eyes.  His mouth moved up and down as he tried to speak.  The eyes moved as the silhouette of the great body shifted.

“Legolas…” Tyrell gasped.

Legolas spun around just as the great creature pounced from above.  Legolas grabbed Tyrell pushing him to the ground beneath him narrowly missing the creature’s clawed hand from scraping his back.  The creature gave out a huge bellow as it missed its target landing hard on the ground.  Legolas picked himself up quickly putting himself in front of Tyrell who still laid on the ground staring at the animal.

“What is it?!” The guard managed to spit out.

Legolas finally had a clear view of the hunter that had been pursuing him.  It raised its head and peered yellow eyes into blue.  Legolas clearly knew what it was and knew that this was going to be a dangerous foe.  Its body was shaped like that of a hog but had long, sharp talons in place of hooves.  It had a lizard-like head with a round bump on its forehead and a long snout filled with countless teeth.  Small spikes ran down its back all the way to the tip of its long tail that whipped back and forth.  Its hide was thick and leathery and it swayed to and fro as it inspected its latest victims.

Legolas stared at it and pursed his lips. “It is a Kyro.” Legolas answered as Tyrell scrambled to his feet. “I want you to go back to the path and warn Darian and the others.  Tell them to be prepared in the chance that there are more of these beasts.”  Legolas’ eyes never left the Kyro as it gave a low growl and bobbed its head.  He slowly pulled out another arrow as the rest of his body remained still.

“Go,” Legolas whispered as he pulled back the string.

Tyrell remained behind Legolas his sword shaking in his hand.

“Go!” Legolas instructed again his voice raising.

Tyrell’s attention snapped away from the creature and he tuned, running back to the path where his horse waited.

The Kyro’s attention quickly went to the retreating man and it gave out a cry as it leapt forward.  Legolas quickly let his arrow fly and it sank into the creature’s side.  It let out a cry of rage as it changed its direction back towards the elf.  This creature was faster then it looked as Legolas strung and released another arrow into its chest.  The arrows did not appear to be slowing it down rather making it angrier.  Legolas cursed as he realized that the Kyro’s thick skin was preventing his arrows from doing any severe damage.  He replaced his bow behind his back and unsheathed his two long knives as the creature charged at him.  The moonlight danced on the white knives as Legolas twirled them blocking the Kyro’s sharp teeth from sinking into his flesh.  The creature was nearly as tall as him and longer than a horse but Legolas whipped down his knife and punctured the creature at every attack it made.  Soon, dark blood began to run down the Kyro’s face and its vision blurred as it fell into its eyes.  The Kyro snapped at Legolas once more before turning, whipping its long tail at one last attempt to knock down the elf.  Legolas jumped backwards, his golden hair brushing back as the wind from the tail whistled in front of him.

The Kyro sunk its talons into the nearest tree and swiftly scrambled up the trunk shielding itself among the nest of limbs.  Legolas saw branches shuffle and lower as the creature began leaping from tree to tree in pursuit.  ‘But in pursuit of what?’ Legolas’ heart sped, ‘Tyrell.’  He sprinted off through the underbrush following the path that Tyrell had gone.  He could still here the Kyro above a few paces in front of him.  Legolas forced his legs to go faster jumping and swerving around the thick foliage as branches and thorns caught onto his clothing.  Finally, Legolas saw the faint outline of Tyrell, sword in hand making his way back to the path.  Legolas panicked as he realized the Kyro was still ahead of him by a few mere feet.  ‘Please Tyrell, keep going.  Do not hesitate.’

Tyrell heard the sound of light feet behind him and he stopped and turned.  He could not see him, but he knew that it was Legolas.  It was too late before he heard Legolas’ cry for him to get down.  The Kyro leapt from above, landing heavily on top of Tyrell.  The guard gasped as the wind was knocked out of him.  He tried to roll onto his side but was pinned down as the creature sunk its talons deep into his flesh.  Tyrell gave out a cry of pain as he felt his side get ripped open and warm blood poured over his wound.  Tyrell clutched his sword, swinging it at the Kyro with what adrenaline he had left.  His sword struck hard cutting deep under the creature’s chin.

Legolas’ arrows whistled through the air in an attempt to distract the beast till he could reach Tyrell.  But the Kyro knew it had its prey and the smell of fresh blood was too strong.  It continued to slash at Tyrell creating more deep wounds.  Tyrell’s strength weakened and he was finding it hard to simply squirm away from the snapping jaws.  Legolas unsheathed his knives as he jumped onto the Kyro’s back.  The creature forgot about the man in front of him and rose onto its back legs in an attempt to knock the elf off his back.  Legolas held on and moved himself so he was right above the creature’s neck.  The Kyro whipped its head up trying to strike the elf with its hard skull.  Legolas raised both arms high and thrust them down bringing his knives down into the back of the Kyro’s neck.  Blood spurted out from the wound as the Kyro screamed.  Legolas leapt of its back as it swayed clumsily bumping into trees.  It took one final step towards the elf before it fell to the earth and did not rise.

Legolas ran over to where Tyrell lay.  He lay on his back as crimson blood pooled out under him.  Legolas knelt before him placing a hand over his forehead.  It was still warm but the guard did not move.  Skin paled and eyes staring up at the sky, Legolas knew that he was dead.

Legolas let out a sigh as his head sank.  He clenched his eyes shut as he brought his right hand over his heart.  “Heeth-ahb, mellon nin.”  He opened his eyes and wiped the Kyro’s blood off his knives onto the ground before sheathing them.  “No one gets left behind.” He whispered as he gathered Tyrell into his arms and began to walk to the open path.

 A/N: About the Nazgul comment that Legolas and Leetha had referred to; yes, I know that Nazguls no longer exist but I made the reference like one that someone may make to refer to something...even they've never heard the noise before. Perfect example, sometimes the water pipes in our dorm will make this bizaar noise and my roomy and I will say "oops, our dinosaur is out of the cage again."

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List