Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Due to all the death threats, I've decided to post Chapter 21 a week
earlier in order to stay alive. LOL!! Hope that would keep angry
readers at bay until Nov 10.

------------------

Disclaimer and Acknowledgements: As in Chapter 1

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Chapter 21 – Warm Tea, Cold Hearts

Elladan caught Aragorn in his arms as he fell forward and eased him onto the floor. Exchanging a worried glance with Elrohir, the older elf retrieved the discarded cloth and placed it back over the feverish human’s brows.

Elrohir watched his father from where he sat and called out softly to Elladan catching his attention. Elrond sat with his face buried in his hands, obviously worn out from all the healing that he had performed and was totally oblivious of what had transpired among the three brothers some distance away. The twins looked over at their father and wished that there were something they could do to ease his weariness but they knew that the only way he could regain his strength was to rest… something that he elf lord would definitely not submit to willingly.

Elrohir moved over to join his father beside the resting prince and placed his hand on the older elf’s shoulder expressing his concern.

“You should rest Ada.” Knowing well what his father’s reaction would be, Elrohir still couldn’t help but made the statement.

“I’m fine,” the elf lord answered with a weak smile as he shifted on the ground to find a more comfortable position.

“You are weary. I can see it in your eyes.” The persistent elf was determined to talk his father into getting some rest.

“They need me.” Elrond swept his gaze over to where his foster son was and a frown broke out on his tired face. Had Aragorn moved since he last saw to him? He seemed to remember the boy being much farther from him than he was now.

Noticing his father’s confusion, the young elf told him of what happened.

“He was awake?” Elrond asked unbelievingly. He should have heard something if what Elrohir told him was true but he was completely unaware of it. The elf lord was wearier than he cared to admit.

“Elladan is making some tea. At least have some to refresh your mind.”

“Are you trying to put me to sleep with the tea?” The Lord of Imladris raised his eyebrow skeptically. “It won’t work, you know.”

Elrohir gave his father a mock undignified look. “Would I do something like that?”

The question drew a chuckle from the elf lord. He clasped his son on the shoulder and graced him with a dangerous smile. “You wouldn’t dare.”

Elrohir laughed for the first time in many days. They had been tensed ever since Elrond revealed his visions, in fear that they may lose the two that they had grown to love so dearly over the years. Now that the two youngsters had been found battered and bruised but alive, some tension had been alleviated.

“Tea is ready father,” Elladan called from the small fire that they had built earlier in the night. The soft flame danced in the gentle breeze casting flickering shadows against the cave wall.

Tugging on Elrond’s sleeve, Elrohir dragged his father onto his feet and shoved him towards the fire. As they settled down beside Elladan, the older twin handed a cup of hot steaming tea to his father. Sniffing at the tea suspiciously, Elrond inspected its content and aroma trying to detect if the tea contained any herbs that would render him unconscious. The twins grinned at each other and grew somber when their father glared at them with one of those ‘what-are-you-up-to’ look.

“It’s just tea, Ada,” Elladan reassured the still suspicious elf lord. “We can’t afford to put you out when these two depended on you.” He swept his hand to his right where Aragorn and Legolas rested. To put the elf lord’s mind at ease, Elladan took a sip of his own tea showing his sincerity. Soon, the three elves were sitting comfortably by the fire enjoying a cup of soothing tea and drying their wet hair and clothes.

Elrond ran his fingers through his hair working the tangles out as it dried slowly in the warm air. His two sons were engrossed in a debate speculating on how their brother and friend got into this mess.

“Could it be bandits?” Elrohir theorized as he refilled his empty cup.

“Not likely. They still have all their belongings.” Elladan rummaged through his brother’s pack and pulled out the mithril box. “Besides, they would have taken this.”

“Pure mithril?” Elrohir eyed the box astoundingly and reached out to touch it.

Elladan nodded. “It would earn them a fortune!”

“Estel’s ankle was healing when we found him. Looks like he broke it about three days ago. Same goes for Legolas’ broken arm and the gash on his forehead,” the younger elf continued.

“But the stab wounds were fresh, not more than a day old.”

“And Legolas’ injuries would have healed if he had gotten it three days ago unless…”

“Unless he was beaten again recently.”

“This is getting complicating.”

“Something must have happened in the village. Remember the guard at the gates said something about having thrown them out?”

“They could have gotten into some kind of trouble there, knowing their magnetism for disasters.”

“The suspense is killing me!”

“Maybe we should wake them and ask.”

Elladan elbowed his brother in the ribs for that remark and the younger twin yelped.

“I was only joking!”

“I know. I just like poking fun at you.”

The friendly bantering went on for several more minutes and Elrond let out a small sigh of relief when they finally exhausted the topic and changed the subject.

*****

To Be Continued...

A/N: No cliffie. :) And next installment will be on Nov 10… I think. *g*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List