Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

 

Disclaimer and Acknowledgement: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Chapter 19 – The Fight for Survival

Warmth flooded through him and he felt life seeping slowly back into his body. He sensed someone’s arm around him, holding him close, offering him comfort and strength, The familiar presence reminded him strangely of home, of his family. His eyes fluttered open momentarily and he thought he saw his father’s face hovering above him. *Must be dreaming* he thought but had no idea that he had uttered the words out loud.

"No my son, you are not dreaming." Elrond smoothed the wet hair back from Aragorn’s forehead and brushed the back of his hand over the human’s cheek.

"Ada?" the young ranger whispered in confusion, not believing what he was seeing.

"I’m here Estel." Elrond pulled his foster son into a gentle embrace. "I thought I had lost you," the elf lord stifled a strangled sob, totally unconcerned about his pride and dignity.

Aragorn sighed and buried his face deep into the elf’s shoulder relishing in the warmth and love of his father but the young man jerked away suddenly remembering his travel companion. "Legolas! Where is Legolas?!" The ranger tried to sit up but the pain stopped him promptly and he fell back against his father with a loud groan.

Elrond place his hand on his son’s shoulder preventing the young man from trying to rise again. "Your brothers are tending to him. Do not worry yourself." The elf lord stroke Aragorn’s face affectionately and whispered words of comfort in their native tongue and Aragorn soon found himself being lulled back into the calming darkness.

"We need to find a shelter where I can give them proper treatment." Elrond told his twin sons. Aragorn and Legolas had both woken and were responsive and he felt that his two patients were no longer in immediate danger.

The twins nodded in unison, agreeing with their father’s decision. Elrohir held on to Legolas as Elladan mounted his horse and then helped his brother settle the elf prince in front of him. Finishing his first task he helped his father with Aragorn and mounted his own horse after that.

Pulling Legolas’ limp body against his chest, Elladan wrapped his hand around the unconscious elf’s waist, holding him securely on the horse. Legolas’ head rested lightly on the older elf’s shoulder, his long blond hair falling over his face hiding the bruise that still marred the side of his face. His heavy and labored breathing reminded Elladan to check him for internal injuries when they had found a place to settle down for the night.

Elrond extended his cloak around Aragorn and wrapped him in the damp fabric. He needed a place where they could get a fire going in order to dry their clothes and keep his son and Legolas warm and also to take a better look a their injuries.

With Elrohir in the lead, the riders moved with great urgency searching for a cave where they could spend the night in. Fortunately, luck seemed to be on their side. Elrohir, who was scouting ahead, returned with news that there was a cave about half a mile from them. Spurring their horses on, they reached their destination in several minutes.

Unloading the injured and laying them on the dry dirt floor, Elrond retrieved their belongings and his pack while Elladan and Elrohir kindled a fire in no time. Setting a small kettle of water over the fire, Elrond moved over and examined Aragorn’s wounds.

The stab wound on his side was deep but fortunately it did not damage any vital organs and the long gash on his arm was superficial although they were enough to make him lose a lot of blood. But the thing that worried him most was infection. He could feel the human’s temperature rising as they rode and the burning heat emanating from the human now confirmed his fears. Crushing some athelas leaves that he had brought with him into a bowl of boiling water, he dipped a piece of cloth into the solution, wrung it out and cleaned the wounds diligently. The stitches in his side were ripped and the elf lord had to remove the remnant thread and re-stitch the gash again. He was thankful that his son had remained unconscious while he worked. Binding the wounds tightly after applying a generous amount of salve on them, Elrond wet a piece of bandage and placed it on Aragorn’s forehead. The human moaned and stirred in his sleep as the cool material made contact with his burning skin.

Making sure that Aragorn was resting comfortably, Elrond stood and stretched tiredly, letting out a long weary sigh.

*****

Elladan and Elrohir had removed Legolas’ wet cloak and lifted his tunic with much care trying their best not to disturb his broken arm or jostle him around too much while their father worked on Aragorn. Grimacing at the dark purple bruises that covered the elf’s chest and abdomen, Elladan scanned the battered body for signs of injuries and his gaze fell on the small incision over Legolas’ ribs. The cut was made with perfect precision and the twin recognized it to be his human brother’s handiwork. He also knew what the cut was meant for... to remove a broken rib that had penetrated the lung. The deep wound had been stitched up but all the walking and stumbling had torn the stitches. Blood seeped out of the cut and Elrohir pressed a bandage over the wound to slow the bleeding.

"What do you think happened to them?" the younger twin asked his brother who was busy applying a light bandage on the cut over the wood-elf’s brow.

Elladan shrugged. "Some of the injuries looked fresh but some looked like they were obtained many days ago." The elder twin turned and stole a glance at their father and brother. "Father seems extremely worried over Estel. I hope he is alright."

"He will be fine." Elrohir placed his free hand on his brother’s arm, offering his comfort. "Whatever happened, it’s all over now. We just need to patch these two up and they will be back to their mischievous selves in no time."

Elladan grinned, mirroring the expression on his twin brother’s face. Everything will be all right.

Legolas stirred under Elrohir’s hand and let out a deep moan through short gasps of breaths. The elf wheezed as he tried to draw air into his lungs but he seemed to be struggling against an invisible force that was choking him.

"Ease him up," Elladan instructed his twin and Elrohir raised Legolas up slowly supporting the elf by his shoulders as the wheezing continued.

Elladan knelt in front of the Legolas trying to calm the distraught elf when a bout of violent coughing overtook him. Elrohir rubbed Legolas’ back hoping to soothe his cough but it went on without signs of improvement. Legolas continued to choke and gasp. Suddenly, his body went into a convulsive spasm and with one final cough he expelled blood all over Elladan.

Elladan fell backwards in shock and let out a string of dwarvish curses, not because of his ruined clothes but because of the severity of Legolas’ injures. It had not occurred to him that the prince was so grievously hurt.

"Oh Valar!! ADA!"

The blood-chilling cry sent Elrond scrambling over to his sons’ side and his heart sank to his stomach at the horrific sight. Elladan’s tunic was stained dark red and the traumatized elf sat staring down at his bloodied hands, his eyes wide with terror. Beside him, Elrohir held Legolas tightly in his arms, too stunned to do anything. Blood had drained from the young one’s face and he looked almost as pale as the elven prince that lay convulsing in his arms. The wood-elf’s eyes were wide open but glazed and unfocused. His mouth hung slightly open as he fought desperately for air that refuse to fill his lungs.

"Go see to your brother," Elrond’s voice tore Elladan away from the terrifying scene. His older son started to protest but the elf lord’s stern voice left no room for argument. "Go. Now." Not wanting to waste more time, he pulled Legolas away from Elrohir and told him to join his brothers. He needed to start the healing immediately and did not want to be distracted during the process.

Sensing his father’s desire to work alone, the younger twin moved away reluctantly and scooted towards Elladan.

*****

To Be Continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List