Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Disclaimer and Acknowledgement: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 15 – The Aftermath

The soft whispers drew him back towards consciousness in slow motion. For a fleeting moment he had no recollection of where he was until the pains in his body announced their presence. Shifting slightly, he moaned as his movement pulled on the stitches and the sound brought Deyron to his side immediately.

"Try not to move too much," Deyron warned, "or you will tear those stitches."

Aragorn’s eyelids fluttered briefly under his long lashes as the human tied to force his eyes open.

"Where am I?" the disoriented ranger asked, his voice barely above a whisper. "Where is Legolas?" The memory of their execution flashed across his mind and the human’s thoughts went out to his elven friend instantly. Something had happened after he got lose and attacked the late Chief’s sons but what happened after that was fuzzy. He vaguely remembered someone threatening him with Legolas’ life but after that, everything was blank. "Where is my friend?" he asked again fearing the worse.

"Don’t worry, he’s fine. In fact, he’s sleeping beside you," Deyron motioned towards the sleeping form of the elf on Aragorn’s left.

The young man turned his head stiffly to the side trying to take a glimpse of Legolas. The movement caused him much pain but he was determined to find out if his friend was well. The elf was indeed sleeping, his chest rising and falling in an erratic rhythm and pain creased his pale face. And his eyes were closed! Elves usually do not sleep with their eyes closed unless they were exhausted or in great pain and the ranger feared that it was both. Reaching out his hand, Aragorn rested it on the elf’s arm, a gesture to assure himself that Legolas was indeed alive. The elf did not stir at the human’s touch and that worried the ranger. Legolas was usually alert and would never allow anyone to sneak up on him that easily.

"Is there something wrong?" Dergth asked.

"His condition is deteriorating," the ranger explained with much effort.

"But he was alright when we spoke earlier," Deyron replied with a frown.

"He just hides it well," Aragorn sighed wearily. The short conversation had taxed much of his strength and the ranger allowed his eyes to slip shut once again.

"But your father will be able to heal him, right?" the healer recalled what Legolas had told him several hours ago.

However, before Aragorn could utter a reply, two guards led by Zescaat came barraging into the healing hut.

"Time’s up!" the new Chief’s brother shouted rudely and kicked over the kettle that was sitting in his path, spilling water all over the rugs. "Get them out!"

Legolas bolted upright at the loud noise and groan deeply as the sudden change in position sent an excruciating pain rippling up his back. The prince doubled over, curling up into a tight ball trying to elevate the pain, and was unsuccessful in suppressing a muffled whimper.

"Stop pretending and get up!" one of the guards grabbed Legolas by his broken arm and yanked him to his feet.

The ear-splitting scream took the guard by surprise and he released Legolas’ arm as if he were carrying some deadly disease and brushed his hand on his tunic unconsciously. The elf stumbled blindly into the guard and the burly man shoved him away towards the supply shelf but Dergth was there in a heartbeat to catch the prince before he crashed into the rack. Wrapping his arm gently around the elf’s shoulder, he supported Legolas’ weight as he sagged against him.

"Do you have to be so heartless?!" Dergth yelled at the guard but the burly man only shrugged and gave him a crooked smile.

Beside them, Aragorn struggled to his feet with Deyron’s help and limped towards Legolas. Brushing the sweat-drenched hair away from the elf’s face, Aragorn rested his hand on Legolas’ shoulder.

"Are you alright?" The question was lame but he felt like he needed to say something.

Still leaning heavily on Dergth for support, the elf nodded shakily, not trusting his voice yet to speak.

"Amin feuya ten’ lle!" the angry ranger turned and spat at the guard that had mistreated his friend.

//You disgust me!//

The insult was not lost on the burly man although he could not understand the strange language. Flushing bright red in anger and embarrassment, the man raised his hand to strike the ranger but found his wrist caught in an iron grip before the blow could fall.

Deyron locked his fingers around the guard’s wrist and twisted it behind his back. "One more move and you’ll find yourself nursing a broken wrist for the rest of the week," the healer’s light brown eyes darkened dangerously as he warned the man, only releasing him after receiving a reluctant acknowledgement.

The man rubbed his bruised wrist and glanced over at Zescaat hoping that the man would penalize Deyron for his actions but the Chief’s brother only stood by the door with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

"Well? What are you waiting for? A farewell celebration?" Zescaat glared at his followers as he spoke. "Take them out you idiots!"

The guards nodded and advanced towards Aragorn and Legolas but was stopped by Deyron. "No, we will see them off." The healer left no room for argument. Picking up the ranger and elf’s belongings, the two men helped their new friends to the gate. Trailing a few feet behind them were Zescaat and his men, watching the four men conspicuously.

As they stepped beyond the threshold of the village, Legolas halted the company. "This is where we have to part," the prince announced with sadness reflecting in his eyes. "Thank you for your kindness and all that you have done for us."

Gripped the elf’s forearm tightly, Deyron gazed into the silver-blue eyes before letting his fingers slip from the grasp. "Have a safe journey home." Un-shouldering the pack, bow and quiver, the healer handed the items to the prince.

Legolas accepted the pack but did not retrieve his bow and arrows. Instead, he placed his hand on the human’s that held the quiver and pressed it against his heart. "Keep them... as a token of appreciation from me to you, my friends." Legolas gazed from Deyron to Dergth. "I’m sure you will find some use for them," the elf smiled gently.

"And if you should ever need help, head south for Rivendell." Aragorn extended his own gratitude by offering them a place of refuge in times of need. "My father will welcome you into his courts."

Handing Aragorn over to Legolas, the silvan elf supported the human as the two villagers bid their final farewell and retreated with heavy hearts back into the compound of the village. Aragorn and Legolas watched as the guards slammed the door in their faces, shutting them out from the village forever.

Sighing exasperatedly, the elf prince turned towards the ranger. "Well, time to go my friend."

Aragorn nodded and the two friends began their long journey towards home.

*****

To Be Continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List