Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Disclaimer and Acknowledgement: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 9 – The Secrets Within

Legolas looked at the trio, confusion written all over his face for he had not heard the conversation yesterday. "What’s going on?" he looked from Aragorn to the two women, requesting for an explanation.

Belphena retold the story to Legolas, adding in more details concerning their rules as she went along. "Something happened many generations ago which led our ancestors to set such rule. Ever since then, we have never left the village, not even allowed to send a search party for Herbenna’s son when he sneaked out and never return. The poor woman was on her knees outside the Chief’s hut for days begging him to save her only son but he refused. She hated him for that and it enraged her even more when he bent the rules for the both of you and not her."

Chandril nodded beside her mother. "She had changed so much ever since that day and had become withdrawn from everything. She hardly joins any of the village functions and hides in her hut most of the time. It saddens all of us to see her like that."

Aragorn and Legolas shifted uncomfortably, knowing that their presence had undoubtedly brought back painful memories for the villagers.

Legolas looked apologetically at the older woman. "I’m sorry that our presence opened up old wounds." Turning to his companion, the elf told him of his decision. "We should leave. I don’t want to put unnecessary stress on the villagers."

Aragorn nodded his agreement. "We leave tomorrow morning."

"No," the elf interjected, "we leave now."

"But you could barely walk!" the ranger protested. "You need rest."

"I’m fine," Legolas lied and tried to sit up to stress his point but his attempt to rise drew a wince from his face and he fell back onto the pillows when a sharp pain lanced through his body. Gasping for air, the elf squeezed his eyes shut and waited for the pain to pass. When he opened his eyes again, he found himself staring into a pair of concerned silver-green ones. The wood-elf forced a smile and told Aragorn that he was all right but the ranger was not convinced that easily. Insisting that he should rest, Aragorn helped Legolas back down onto the mat and pulled the blanket around his shoulders. The mother and daughter excused themselves as Aragorn tucked the elf securely under the blanket and the ranger thanked them once again for their kindness.

Watching his friend fall into a fitful sleep, Aragorn could not help but think about what Legolas had said. They really should leave soon and he hoped that tomorrow would be soon enough. The ranger lay down beside Legolas after clearing up the tray and setting it aside. He thought of what Belphena had said. Something had happened many years ago that scared the villagers to the extent that they had shut themselves off from the rest of the world. He wondered what it was. His thoughts drifted as sleep started to take over and suddenly he remembered the mithril box that they had stumbled upon the cave. Making a mental note to borrow some tools form Dergth later to open it, the ranger let his eyes slip shut as he fell into a peaceful oblivion.

*****

Legolas struggled into wakefulness at the sound of loud hammering and grunted disgustedly as the annoying noise was making his head pound with every beat. Turning his head in the direction of the sound, he saw Aragorn sitting in a corner, hammering away on a chisel which he had wedged between the lid and the mithril box. Having completely forgotten about the box, Legolas was surprised that the ranger still remembered.

"Any luck?" the elf asked loudly so that he could be heard over the hammering sound.

Stunned by the sudden voice, Aragorn’s concentration slipped and the hammer landed on his thumb instead of the chisel. The ranger yelped and dropped the tool, sucking his injured thumb while glaring dangerously at Legolas.

The elven prince chuckled lightly and motioned for the human to come over. Aragorn grabbed the box and tools after relieving his thumb from his mouth and scooted over to Legolas.

"You find that amusing?" the ranger asked with a pout.

Legolas laughed. "You are the most clumsy ranger I’ve ever met," the elf prince chided and pushed himself up gingerly to a sitting position.

"No thanks to you," Aragorn joked.

"So," Legolas tilted his head towards the box, "any luck?"

"Almost there," the ranger replied with a grin. "I got bored watching you sleep so I thought I’d do something constructive."

"More like destructive. You sounded like you were tearing down the hut."

"Sorry, I’ve forgotten about your keen elven hearing," the human grinned mischievously. "But the truth is," Aragorn pulled a tray from behind Legolas and placed it in front of the elf, "you should really eat something."

Legolas squinted at the food. "What time is it?" the blond elf asked while trying to stifle a yawn.

"Almost dusk, sleeping beauty."

"I’ve been asleep since after breakfast?"

"Uh huh. Now eat or do you need me to feed you?"

The prince rolled his eyes and would have whacked the grinning human with a pillow if his chest didn’t hurt so much.

"Start eating and get your strength back. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow."

Legolas nodded grimly. The road ahead would not be easy for them. Although their injuries were slowly mending, they were still a long way from full recovery and the long journey home would cause them much pain. Sighing mildly, the wood-elf took a spoonful of his soup and watched Aragorn continue his battle with the box. Halfway through his meal, he heard Aragorn give a triumph cry as the lid finally popped open a gap. A small hiss escaped from the box and Legolas felt a sudden chill brushed through his very soul. He dropped the spoon with a loud clang and shivered at the uncomfortable feeling.

 *****

To Be Continued...

A/N: Again… no evil cliffie. Okay, cliffie but not evil :P Please R & R :D Thank you *bows low*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List