Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Disclaimer and Acknowledgement: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 6 - A Small Comfort

He saw the dark haired man slap the other across the face and then shook the helpless man violently. A sense of dread swept over him and he shrank back into the bush, hugging his knees to his chest trying to make himself as small as possible. He heard the man speak but he was too far away to make out the exact words. Shifting slightly in between the tall grass, he was unaware that he had revealed his location to the man that he had been hiding from. The figure contemplated whether to stay hidden or make a run for it and finally decided that he didn't want to be a sitting target. Working up his courage, he made a mad dash out of his safe haven and ran straight into the dark haired man whom he didn't know was already standing a few feet away from his hideout.

Aragorn stumbled backwards and landed hard on the ground, something heavy landing on top of him. The weight drove the air out of his lungs and crushed down on his already injured ribs. The ranger let out a loud grunt and instinctively grabbed his assailant, ready to defend himself but was surprised when he found himself being pinned down by a small child of about five years of age. The child trashed wildly in his arms trying to get away but the ranger's grip was strong and powerful. He rolled the child off his chest and held his small body firmly on the ground.

"Hey! Calm down!" Aragorn raised his voice so that he could be heard over the boy's frantic cries. "I won't hurt you!"

The child seemed to have understood him and he quieted down a little. Still sobbing, the small boy stopped his struggle and allowed Aragorn to help him sit up.

"Shh... it's alright. I won't hurt you," the ranger hugged the boy and stroke his back up and down in attempt to calm him down.

The child was soaked to the bones, his wet clothes stuck to his skin and his hair clung at his face. After the sobbing subsided, he pulled away and stared at the human with teary eyes "W--Who are you?" he asked with a sniffle.

"My name is Strider. What's yours?"

"Varil," the small boy answered timidly.

"What are you doing here?" Aragorn removed his cloak and wrapped it around the shivering child.

"I'm lost," Varil pulled the cloak tightly around his shoulder, grateful for what Aragorn had offered.

"Come and sit with my friend. I need to care for him." The ranger pulled Varil onto his feet and led him to where Legolas was.

"He is your friend?" asked the child unbelievingly. Varil's eyes widened as he saw the blond haired elf. "He has funny ears... What is he?"

Aragorn laughed despite the seriousness of the situation. "He's an elf.."

Varil sat down beside Legolas and reached out to touch the elf's hair, his curiosity overcame his fears. "But if he is you friend, why did you hit him?"

"I was trying to help him," the human explained patiently. "He is hurt and I need to find some herbs to make him better. Can you talk to him and keep him awake for me?"

The child nodded enthusiastically "Uh huh."

"Good. I won't be long." With that, the ranger hurried off in search for the healing herb, athelas.

Legolas watched silently as Varil questioned Aragorn. He would have answered the child himself if he had the strength. The child now sat crossed leg in front of him, huddled in Aragorn's cloak and Legolas smiled weakly at him.

Varil fidgeted uncomfortably and finally worked up the courage to speak to the strange man that Strider said was an elf. "Umm... my name is Varil. What's yours?"

"Legolas," the prince replied with effort.

"Are you sick?"

The elf nodded slightly.

"When I get sick, my mother will make soup for me. Is Strider going to make soup for you?" The child scooted closer to Legolas as he spoke.

"I think so," Legolas managed to say before he let his eyes slip shut.

"Hey! Strider said I have to keep you awake." Varil took Legolas' hand and shook it. "Wake up!"

The elf moaned and forced his eyes open. "I'm awake..."

"Good. Can you tell me what is an elf?"

"That is a long story, Varil. I'm sure Legolas would tell you when he feels better." Aragorn uttered from behind the boy as he returned with a handful of athelas. "I need to make Legolas feel better. Can you help?"

"Alright." Varil looked at Aragorn nervously. "What can I do?"

"Bring me the pack over there," Aragorn directed the child as he chewed on the athelas leaves.

*****

To Be Continued...

Sorry this is a bit short but at least there's no evil cliffie. :P So take a deep breath and RELAX!

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List