Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Disclaimer and Acknowledgement: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 4 – Troubles In the Night

Working diligently, Aragorn secured the splint as the elf fell into another coughing fit. A cold chill swept over him when Legolas started to struggle for breath and the elf’s words struck him like a stake through the heart. Raising Legolas to a sitting position, he rubbed the elf’s back gently but urgently, willing air into the tortured lungs. Legolas continued to gasp as the coughing continued, blood spraying from his lips onto the ground.

"Deep breaths Legolas... slowly." It was simple for him to say those words but he knew that it was close to impossible for his friend to follow. Helpless of the situation, the only thing Aragorn could do was support Legolas and rubbing his back in soothing circles until the convulsive cough eased up by itself.

Still struggling for air, the elf slumped back against the ranger; his body trembled from the exertion. When Aragorn attempted to wipe the blood from his lips, Legolas grasped the human by his arm and interrupted him.

"L-Leave me," his voice faltered and the words struck Aragorn like a blow to the head.

"NO!"

"I will be a burden to you." Legolas paused to gather his strength. "You will have a better chance… to find a way out...without me..." Spending the last of his strength in those words, his eyes drifted shut wearily.

"No Legolas! Wake up!" Aragorn tapped him on the face. "Don’t go to sleep!" He knew that once the elf lost consciousness, he might never wake up again. "Open your eyes!" the human urged furiously and was practically shouting. "I will NOT leave you here!"

It took some effort before he managed to force Legolas to open his eyes and Aragorn let out a sigh of relief when the elf blinked and looked up at him. "Don’t you ever do that again! My heart can’t take it." The attempted joke earned him a pained smile from the woodland being. Gathering the remaining of the makeshift bandages, the ranger bound Legolas’ chest to minimize movement of his fractured ribs and then proceeded to bind his own broken ankle while speaking to the injured elf to keep him awake.

They rested where they sat for about half an hour before Aragorn decided that they should move on. Packing whatever was left of their belongings, Aragorn collected the stray arrows and placed them back into Legolas’ quiver. Strapping the quiver onto his back, the ranger swung the packs and Legolas’ bow over his shoulder. The sword that he was carrying was lost during the fall and he did not want to waste precious time and energy searching for it. Placing one hand behind Legolas’ back and the other under his knees, the young man lifted the elf prince off the ground in one swift movement. He staggered backwards as his balance was upset by his injured ankle and crashed into the cavern wall behind him. Pure agony ripped through his body and the cry that he had been trying to hold back burst from his lips. Bright green spots flashed before his eyes and a loud ringing erupted in his ears. He bit down hard on his lower lips and feared that he would pass out from the pain.

*You cannot fall. Legolas needs you* he repeated the words over and over, willing his body to co-operate. Slowly, the ringing in his ears faded and the pretty green spots decided to leave him. Diverting his attention to Legolas once again, Aragorn spoke to the elf.

"Are you still with me?"

Legolas gave a weak moan in acknowledgement.

Confident that he could move again, the ranger clutched the elf tightly against his chest and took a step forward…and cursed out loud as the broken ankle sent burning fingers of fire up his leg. He gritted his teeth and ground out another curse while forcing himself forward with a painstakingly slow pace. Each step he took was like walking barefooted on broken glass but the thought of his friend kept him going. The soft glow from Legolas was growing dimmer and the fact frightened him. He tried to keep a conversation going between them but the elf’s response was slacking.

Aragorn had no idea where he was heading. He was just following his instincts and the pain in his chest had taken over all his senses. Panting heavily, he concentrated hard on putting one foot in front of the other. Many times he stumbled but managed to stay on his feet. He was afraid that if he fell, he might not have the strength to get up again.

So focused on his task, he did not notice the obstacle lying in his path. Tripping on the object, the human lost his balance and staggered sideways, ramming his shoulder into the stone wall. Letting out a small yelp, he slipped onto the floor with Legolas still held tightly in his arms. The impact sent sheer, unrelenting agony through his chest and his scream echoed throughout the cave. Legolas buried his face in Aragorn’s shoulder, the fingers of his right hand dug painfully into the human’s arm, his own screams lost in the soft fabric of the ranger’s tunic.

They sat there for the longest moment, drawing strength from each other. Finally, Aragorn composed himself and searched his vicinity, looking for whatever had sent them on this undesirable trip to the ground. What he saw was unnerving. A skeleton of a man sat propped up against the wall beside him, his bony legs stretched into their earlier path. Fell by a dead man, Aragorn thought mirthlessly. Legolas stirred in his arms and he turned his attention to the elf.

"What is it, Aragorn?" the elven prince asked, his voice soft and barely audible.

"Nothing," the ranger lied. He didn’t want his friend to think that their fate would end up like this unfortunate man, to die and be forgotten in some hidden underground cavern.

Legolas lifted his head up from Aragorn’s shoulder and his gaze fell upon the skeleton. "Maybe this is our fate too," he sighed sadly, his elven spirit dampened by the sight.

"No… I will not allow it. As long as there is breath in me, I will get us out."

Legolas gave him an encouraging smile but something caught his eyes.

"He’s holding something...in his hand," the elf referred to the pile of bones beside them.

Aragorn squinted in the dark and he could vaguely make out a box. Stretching out his hand, he managed to pry the box out of the dead man’s fingers. Turning it around in his hand, the two friends examined the box.

"Pure mithril...must be important," Legolas’ chest heaved painfully as he spoke.

"It’s sealed. I can’t open it without the proper tools," the human put in.

"Looks like he was guarding it," the elf added weakly.

"We will take it with us. When we get out of here, I will try to open it." *If we get out of here* thought Aragorn despondently.

Legolas slumped back against Aragorn’s chest; the simple task had drained much of his remaining strength. Shutting his eyes, he attempted to block out the pounding headache but the more he tried, the worse it got. His chest was hurting badly despite Aragorn’s careful ministration and each breath was getting more painful and difficult. He knew that his lung was filling up with fluid and if he didn’t receive proper treatment soon, he would drown in his own blood. Furthermore, he had no idea what other internal injuries he had suffered.

"If this man could get in, I’m sure there is a way out," Aragorn tucked the box into their pack as he spoke. Making sure that it was secured and would not slip out easily, the ranger turned to the elf. "What do you suppose is in there?" he asked but received no answer.

"Legolas?!" Placing his hand on the elf’s cheek, the man tapped his face lightly. For a few torturous moments, he thought the prince had lapsed into unconsciousness but Legolas moaned and his eyes fluttered open.

"I’m so tired..." The usually bright silver-blue eyes were now glazed and unfocused. "Please let me rest...for a while..." Legolas let his eyes drift shut again.

"You have to stay awake!" the human snapped. "Legolas! Hear my voice and open your eyes!"

The elf pried his eyes open a slit with effort. "We have to go, Estel," he stated wearily, "I don’t know how much longer I can hold on." A shudder racked his slight frame as his chest seized up in protest sending him into another coughing fit. More blood trickled out from the corner of his mouth and ran down his chin in rivulets.

"We are leaving now, my friend." Aragorn wiped the blood away from his friend’s chin with his sleeve. He forced his legs to bare their weight as he lifted the prince while using the wall behind him for support as he rose. Holding back the pain that threatened to overwhelm him, the young ranger staggered forward slowly, leaving the pile of bones behind them.

The path before him was dark and even the faint glow from Legolas was unable to provide enough light for Aragorn to move comfortably anymore. Unlike elves who could see clearly in little light, a human’s eyesight was not designed to see in the dark. Aragorn did not notice what he was about to step on until it was too late. The pressure plate under his feet sank slowly into the ground as the ranger treaded on it. The soft click alerted him and his eyes widen in shock.

*No!* the voice screamed inside his head. *Not now!*

*****

To Be Continued...

Like it? Hate it? Please R&R :D





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List