Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

False Faces  by Alisha B

Thanks to luinthien and grumpy for reviewing!  It's good to know that people are enjoying this for the first time and are even willing to have a second go at it!  *g* Thanks guys!

Hmmm, I knew there was something I was forgetting when I left last Tuesday for Thanksgiving break...  Sorry folks, I should have posted this chapter a week ago!  Please forgive me!  I won't let it happen again!  *g*  Anywho.  I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, and if you don't celebrate it, I hope you had a great November 27th!! 


Chapter 10

            Aragorn raced down a staircase followed closely by Rayford.  They had met very few guards along the way, and the Ranger decided not to question his good fortune.  Besides, with the luck he’d been having, it was a very welcome change.

            His instincts told him it was time to slow down, that they had gotten far enough away.  Now was the time for caution if they wanted to remain undetected.  Aragorn carefully poked his head around the stone corner.  He silently thanked himself for his caution, because he could see, standing no more than five paces away, the backs of two large Orcs.

            Very quietly, the Ranger drew the dagger he had recently acquired and motioned for Rayford to do the same.  As long as they kept the element of surprise, there would be no time for the creatures to raise the alarm.

            For a split second, Aragorn hesitated.  Should he risk a confrontation?  It had been a very long time since he’d been this apprehensive.  He was confident in his own abilities, but he had no idea how Rayford would perform in a fight.  If an Orc was able to raise the alarm, there would be no chance.

            They had to keep moving forward, and Aragorn could only hold on to the knowledge that his friend had survived seven months of Orc attacks.  He should be able to hold his own.  Without giving the matter another thought, Aragorn raised two fingers and flicked them forward, indicating to the other man to follow him. 

            The Orcs never saw what hit them.  Both fell to the ground simultaneously with a dull thud, their black blood pooling.  Rayford had not let him down.

            Aragorn knew that Saruman probably knew they were missing by that point, and it was imperative that they keep moving, quickly.

            “Come,” Aragorn whispered.  He looked down both sides of the hall, unsure of their next course of action.  Which way should they go?  It was his responsibility to choose the correct path.  “Down the passage to the right.”

            They had to be extremely careful now.  The two men were taking too long, and the Enemy was probably already closing in on them.  Aragorn was beginning to get jumpy and paranoid.  Every sound made him start with his dagger drawn, every unexpected footfall of Rayford, every creek of timber, every echo in the distance.

            After another five minutes of navigating the maze of corridors, Rayford turned to his companion and said, “Strider, how will we know when we have reached the ground floor?  As far as I can tell, we could be three floors under by now and never know it.”

            “Here,” Aragorn said, guiding the younger man toward a large wooden door.  “Keep watch while I see if there is a window inside.  Then we’ll know how far we have to go.”

            With a nod from Rayford, Aragorn held his breath and slowly pushed open the heavy door.  He thanked his still-holding luck that it was dark, deserted, and had one small window on the far wall. 

            Aragorn had no idea what the room had once been used for, but it had clearly been forgotten and left to ruin.  The floor had deep holes, and it required all of the Ranger’s attention, in his weakened condition, not to trip and fall.  He dodged over turned chairs and shattered tables as he made his way over to the window.

            Looking out through the small opening, Aragorn could see they were no more then three stories from the surface.  As he studied the surroundings, he was disappointed that he could not make out the exit of the Isengard complex.  That would have to be something worried about once they were safely out of the Orthanc.

            Not wanting to remain in one location, Aragorn quickly made his way back out of the room.  He found out what he needed to know, and he was not going to risk waiting around to see who would come along.

            Aragorn led Rayford down two more flights of stairs, once again, meeting no one.  They had still not found any indication of a front door, but that did not worry the Ranger.  All they would really need was a window.  Also, Aragorn thought.  The lack of activity greatly bothers me.  Saruman would not be so careless as to allow us this far without a fight.

            He halted and motioned Rayford closer to him, so as not to make too much noise.  “Wait,” Aragorn said quietly.  “I do not believe we should look for the main door.  It may be watched.”

            “I was thinking the same.  A window perhaps?” Rayford asked as he cautiously looked back down the hall.  Their lack of confrontation was bothering him as well.

            The two searched through the nearby rooms for a window large enough for them to escape.  Every time Aragorn opened a door he prayed for it to be unoccupied and every time, it was. 

            The men had split up so that they could search faster, each taking every other room.  Finally, on his third or fourth attempt, he found a very small room with a large enough opening.  He called for his friend and then cautiously peered outside.  Everything appeared clear and peaceful. 

            Rayford volunteered to exit first and with help from the Ranger, managed to climb out of the building.  Aragorn waited for the young man’s call that everything was clear.

            After several unimaginably long minutes, Aragorn heard the man’s summon and scrambled out of the tower.  He hadn’t realized he’d become so afraid of that place.  More afraid of what could happen if I stay, he mused.

            Now was the time that they had to be the most vigilant for they were in the open and vulnerable.  Aragorn pulled the younger man up against the wall of the building and, still looking around, said, “This is a very large complex, and we must escape from it swiftly.”

            “Which way would you suggest?” Rayford asked, his voice barely above a whisper.  He completely understood the severity of their situation.

            Aragorn furrowed his brow and studied each direction carefully.  There was no indication of a road or path that would lead them out of the complex.  They would have to make for the tree line and go from there.

            “Follow me,” Aragorn said as he sprinted as quickly as his injuries would allow for the safety of the trees.  The cool breeze bit at his wounded back, but he pushed that aside.  He had to remain focused on their escape.

            After they were safely concealed within the trees, Aragorn finally allowed himself to relax, though only a little.  They were still in great danger.  Except for a small flock of birds that had been disturbed, the forest was peaceful and quiet but not unnaturally so.  Aragorn pulled Rayford behind the trunk of a large tree so they could discuss their next move. 

            “We go together,” Aragorn said. “Unless we are overtaken.  Do you understand?  At that point, it would be much more difficult for them to track us if we separate.”

            Rayford nodded, but he looked troubled.  “If they capture one of us,” he began, but was quickly cut off.

            “Then the other is to find the exit to this place and seek help as quickly as he can.” 

            Aragorn knew that would be the only way to save his young friend.  Ideally, both of them would escape safely, but Aragorn’s heart told him that their chances were slim.  His only hope was that Saruman would not waste his time tracking Rayford and concentrate his forces on him.

            “But wouldn’t we have more chances of success if we stayed together,” Rayford offered.

            Aragorn displayed his best false smile to reassure the young man.  “This is the way it has always been done among the Rangers.  This tactic has worked well enough for us.  Fear not, I would not abandon you.”

            “Nor would I you,” he said quietly, looking down at his feet.  “There is more to our situation that you are not telling me, and I understand, but it causes me to fear for you.”

            The Ranger placed a gentle hand on his young companion’s shoulder.  There was nothing he could say, because it was true.  Right now, he was focusing his entire mind and body to helping Rayford escape, without any care of what would happen to himself.  To him, it would almost be payment to for not being able to save Milena.  Almost.

            Avoiding responding to Rayford’s statement, Aragorn turned and began to make his way deeper into the forest.  “Let us move on.  I think it would be best if we keep Orthanc in sight.  It would be far too easy to loose our way in these unfamiliar woods.”

            “Agreed.  I wouldn’t want to wander through these trees any longer than needed.”

             The two men carefully made their way deeper into the trees.  Somewhere behind them, Aragorn heard a dull metal clunk.  The Ranger felt his breath quicken as reality finally settled in his mind.  They would both be captured; he could feel it.  His heart pleaded with him to simply surrender to keep those around him safe.  But somewhere in his mind, true reason still had a stronghold, and it was forcing him to fight.

            The trees were gradually thinning, and Aragorn knew that they should be approaching the front entrance.  Now was when they needed to be the most vigilant.  Both men pressed against the trunk of a large tree and waited.  Aragorn slowly stuck his head around it and studied the surroundings.

            Swearing, Aragorn pulled his head back so quickly it caused Rayford to jump.  A band of Orcs was just beginning to appear through the thinning trees, and Felnorvard was slowly leading them forward. 

            Without letting his thoughts race out of control, Aragorn quickly scanned the trees behind them, and it was as he feared.  More Orcs were approaching that direction as well.  Their small daggers would be of no use to them against twenty fully armed, combat ready, Orcs.

            Rayford’s eyes met the Ranger’s in a silent plea for guidance. 

            Taking a deep breath, Aragorn did what he knew he must.  “Now is where we must part company, my friend.  Head to the right, deeper into the trees, quickly while there is still a chance.  We will meet again.  Go!”

            Rayford hesitated, “But what will you...”

            “I said go!” Aragorn said forcefully, giving the younger man a none too gentle push in the right direction. 

            Aragorn watched in sorrow as his friend vanished into the forest.  He would probably never see him again in his lifetime.  It surprised him that he’d grown so close to Rayford in the short amount of time they’d been together.  Usually he was much more reserved. 

            I mustn’t think of such things now, Aragorn thought as he turned his attention to his surroundings.  There are much more pressing matters at hand. 

            Having seen Rayford expose Aragorn’s hiding place, the Orcs were no longer sneaking through the underbrush, and with a command from Felnorvard, they rushed forward, intent on capturing their former prisoner.

            Aragorn, on the other hand, had very different plans.  Like a startled rabbit, he sprang from behind the tree trunk and raced toward the tower.  He knew that he wouldn’t be able to outrun them forever, but he only hoped he’d make it long enough for Rayford to escape to safety.

            Once in the clearing surrounding Orthanc, Aragorn could think of nothing but going faster, one foot in front of the other, faster and faster.  He could hear the Orcs behind him, but they seemed to be gaining no ground.  Even with a slight limp from his healing leg, he was holding his own.  He dared not glance over his shoulder; he needed to concentrate on keeping his pursuers just out of reach. 

            Some of the Orcs, seeing they weren’t catching up, had decided to attempt archery to bring the Ranger down.  Unable to shoot and run at the same time, the creatures were forced to fall behind, and as long as Aragorn kept his speed up and did not run in a straight line, their arrows were consistently wide or short.  But there was no chance for him to keep that pace up for long, so Aragorn quickly formed a new plan.  Back into the trees, he thought.

            After sprinting for a few minutes, Aragorn was ready to make his break for the tree line.  All he needed was to find the thickest and most over grown part.  That way, it would be more difficult for the clumsy Orcs to follow him.

            Finally, he spotted a section that looked perfect.  The trees were large and dense foliage covered the forest floor.  Even though his legs and side were burning, Aragorn managed to find one last burst of energy and broke for the forest.

            He was almost there, almost to relative safety.

            Suddenly, it seemed as if he’d run full force into a brick wall, and Aragorn found himself lying flat on his back, gasping for breath.  He had seen nothing blocking his path, and yet something large and very hard had stopped him.  He should have known the wizard would use his magic.

            Before he could gather his senses, evil hands were upon him, pulling him back onto his feet, but the sudden motion caused Aragorn’s world to spin.  As they continued to hold him steady, Aragorn struggled to catch his breath; his short, quick gasps only caused his side to ache more.

            As his vision slowly returned to normal, Aragorn could see Saruman and Felnorvard directly in front of him.  “Your friend will be found,” Saruman said.  “No one can escape from Isengard.”  The amount of conviction in the wizard’s voice caused Aragorn’s hope to slip even more.  There was such finality to those words.

            As Saruman turned to reenter the tower, Felnorvard started his advance.  Aragorn saw, with slight amusement, that the man was severely out of breath.  This development was enough to pull him away from total despair.

            “Did you have a hard time keeping up with me?” Aragorn taunted, finally able to control his own breathing.

            Felnorvard responded by violently backhanding the Ranger, causing his lip to split and bleed.  “Such comments will not get you very far with me, Ranger,” the man growled.  “Right now, I am holding your life in my hand, and I suggest that you hold your tongue.”

            Orcs held him firmly as the man landed another blow to Aragorn’s exposed midsection, causing him to gasp and cough.

            “These games end!  My master has offered everything, and you still refuse.  If you do not wish to see him truly angry, then it is my suggestion that you agree to his proposal.”

            Aragorn clenched his teeth and glared at the man. “I say again, I will never agree to cooperate with anything the allies of Mordor offer.  Ever.”

            “Then it will be to your death,” Felnorvard said angrily and threw up his hand as a clear signal to the Orcs.

            Aragorn was unprepared for the abuse that followed.  Claws came at him from all directions and at every angle, attacking his exposed ribs and back.  Aragorn had no way to defend himself or block the blows with his arms firmly held. 
            Somewhere behind him, the Ranger heard the unmistakable hiss of a sword being unsheathed.  He did not have long to wait as the hilt of an Orc blade quickly slammed into the base of his skull, sending him into blessed darkness.

            His last thought was the hope that Rayford would make it to safety and bring help.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List