Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Choices  by Laikwalâssê

Choices

Disclaimer:

See chapter 1.

Chapter 9:  bad news

The Lord of the Golden Wood stepped out onto the talan high in one of the great Mallorn Trees of Lothlórien. 

Dawn was just breaking and the first rays of the sun reflected off the grey, silvery bark. He loved this time of the day when life was just awakening in the great wood.

Although he could sense the peace and serenity throughout the area, he felt an unease he could not fathom at the moment. Leaning against the giant trunk he felt a calming thought coming from the tree and he briefly closed his eyes in thanks and contentment. Sensing no trouble in the woodland area, he wondered where the unsettling feeling that had disturbed his rest was coming from.

To a casual observer the tall figure looked like a statue carved out of marble, the only movement the breeze-ruffled unbound hair flowing down his back like spun silver.

Opening his eyes Celeborn stepped away from the trunk and in front of the railing surrounding the wooden platform. Elves did not need such boundaries; it was in place both for the safety of elflings, as well as for visitors not as sure-footed as the wood-elves.

He looked up sharply when he heard an unusual sound and with surprise recognized a bird circling directly above his position demanding his attention.

No sooner had he spotted the bird when the pigeon descended down in a spiral. He extended his arm and the bird landed unerringly on his forearm slapping its’ wings a few times to steady itself.

After settling down, black piercing eyes looked at him expectantly.

Lord Celeborn furrowed his brow. Carrier pigeons were usually used to transport messages between Imladris and Lothlórien when haste was required.

After spotting the tiny clasp around the bird’s neck he was sure he would know the source of his uneasiness soon.

Slowly, so as not to frighten the bird, he reached out, opened the clasp and extracted a roll of parchment. As soon as the fair haired elf had closed the clasp the bird spread its wings and flew up quickly. Within seconds it was out of sight.

Celeborn frowned. Apparently the bird had not been ordered to wait for an answer. Holding the tiny piece of parchment between his fingers he wondered, what could be so important or urgent in Imladris to send a messenger bird?

Sensing the presence of his wife approaching him, he turned to look at the beautiful female standing there in the dim morning light in a nearly transparent gown; revealing more than hiding. Reading his thoughts clearly, Galadriel smiled at her husband.

“Slept well?” he asked while planting a tender kiss on her lips. After responding, she indicated the still unread piece of paper. “Until now, I suppose?” she answered the smile on her face already dimmed.

She would not yet admit to the strange dream she had that night until she knew what she should talk about. She would not add to the clearly felt uneasiness of her mate.

Taking a deep breath the Elf-lord’s smile also faded while he carefully opened the scroll. Seeing all colour drain from her husband’s face the Lady of the Golden Wood moved beside the tall elf to read the note for herself.

There were very few incidents that would make her husband react this strongly.

She quickly scanned the few lines written in a fluent script while gripping the paper Celeborn had released tightly.

Lady Galadriel, Lord Celeborn

 

I deeply regret to be the bearer of such bad news but I have no other choice as to inform you now. I do not know how I might deliver this message gently, so I will be blunt.

 

Four deceivers pretending to be awaited merchants attacked Lord Elrond wounding him so badly that he lies dying. To make matters worse the sons of my Lord tried to call their Father back from the brink of death but failed.

The healers no longer have hope for the three of them. Not having the heart myself I want to ask you to inform Lady Arwen. Feeling the sorrow deeply myself I can only guess at the sorrow that this bad news may bring to you.

 

With highest regards

 

Lindir

 

When Galadriel had finished reading she looked up at the ashen face of her husband knowing that her eyes displayed the same shock. Her earlier vision and her husband’s feelings of foreboding had both proven to be justified.

While swallowing she moved into Celeborn’s outstretched arms; closing her eyes and placing her head on his shoulder, while absorbing the grief flowing toward her through their bond and releasing her own sorrow in much the same way.

For long minutes they stood there both tormented by the same thoughts. How could this have happened? And how could they tell this bad news to their granddaughter?

While struggling to regain their countenance both powerful elves registered a moment too late that their granddaughter had already stepped up behind them. There was no time to rebuild their composure. The young elf had already sensed that something was amiss.

“What has happened?” Arwen asked with a slight tremor in her voice. Never before had she seen her grandfather, not to mention her grandmother, so shaken.

Tears were already threatening to spill when her grandparents looked at her and opened their arms to include her in their circle. Instantly she felt the calming presence of her grandparents’ fear around her own but this could not drive away the dread she felt. Looking up she pleaded with her eyes for the news that they had to tell to her.

The Lord of the Golden Wood took a deep breath. He guided his granddaughter to a bench a few steps away and Arwen sat down between them, albeit only on the edge of the seat; now convinced that something bad must have happened otherwise her grandfather would not have to struggle so to find the right words. When she looked at her grandmother, seated at her other side, she only received a blank look.

“Arwen, love, I do not know how to say this,” Celeborn began while taking two cold hands in his. Knowing that he could not soften his words he plunged ahead. “A carrier pigeon brought the message that some men attacked your father and wounded him quite badly…..he lies at death’s door…”

The Elf-lord held the gaze of the young female steadily when he saw the shock his message evoked, even when his own heart cried out in anguish. Not having the heart to tell the second part of the message yet Celeborn waited to see how the young elf would react.

After absorbing the news Arwen gasped and stared at her grandfather in disbelief. She could not contain her tears. “What…how?” was the choked reply.

Knowing that his granddaughter wanted no answers at the moment Celeborn only enveloped her in a tight hug while sobs rocked the lithe body.

Arwen buried her face in the soft robes of her grandfather. She struggled for air feeling as if she had lost the ability to draw in breath.

This could not be. She could not bear another loss. She had lost her mother not so long ago and now…. No, her father could not be lost to her too.

She had found some sense of peace for her tormented soul in the realm of her grandparents while she was no longer forced to endure the grief that was ever present at her home. And now, after she had found some balance to her mind, there was another blow. She would surely not have the strength of will to go down the same dark road again; to mourn the loss of another parent.

Suddenly however when her sobs had lessened somewhat she looked up sharply as a thought crossed her mind. Searching the darkened eyes of her beloved grandfather she took a deep breath.

“What of my brothers. They are accomplished healers. Can they not help Ada?” she asked with a shaking voice.

Swallowing hard she began to tremble anew when her grandfather closed his eyes and her grandmother let out some sort of a nearly inaudible wail. In anticipation Arwen swallowed the lump in her throat demanding an answer by squeezing her grandfather’s hand.

Celeborn opened his eyes and looked at the young elf before him with such sadness in his eyes that it nearly caused to Arwen faint.

“They tried, my dear, but failed. Now they are lost to us too,” Celeborn answered his voice rough.

No longer able or willing to absorb any further terrible news Arwen collapsed. Having anticipated this Celeborn caught the limp body and held her tight.

 

………………………………………

After placing his granddaughter on her bed and sitting there for a while Celeborn rose and joined his wife on the platform surrounding Arwen´s room. Since she spent most of her time here in the Golden Wood they had tried to make her feel more at home by giving her this refuge high in the trees, not far from her grandparents, but her own nonetheless.

Galadriel had her eyes closed and her face was a mask of concentration. Celeborn stepped behind her silently not wanting to disturb his wife. He knew that she had recognized him anyway. They stood there for many long moments.

After a while Galadriel opened her eyes and directed her gaze at her husband. “He is not yet lost to us but is very close. The twins are almost as far gone. They are stumbling in the dark. We must travel to Imladris before it is too late for all of them.”

Nodding Celeborn sighed. If they could not rescue Elrond maybe they could at least call the twins back, but what would that achieve? Without Elrond all hope was lost. The twins and Arwen would fade and follow their father or they would sail. Nothing would remain of his family. All would break apart. Another important pillar in the fight against the darkness would vanish; Middle-Earth would finally succumb to darkness.

Feeling his wife’s touch on his forearm he wrenched his mind away from these dark thoughts. “Please have all necessary preparations made. I will assign someone to look after Arwen while we are gone.”

Before Celeborn could answer his wife’s request they heard light footsteps behind them. “I will come with you. No force can keep me here,” Arwen said with determination in her eyes.

Sighing Celeborn nodded, knowing that he could not deny Arwen the right to see her family maybe for the last time, albeit he did not love the idea of the shaken elleth travelling at all.

While looking intently at the dark haired young elf before her Galadriel inclined her head. “We will need two,” was all what she said before she turned and left.

Not understanding the meaning of her grandmother’s words Arwen wondered how they would reach Rivendell in time. It was a four weeks journey under the best of circumstances. They would be too late in any case.

Wanting to ask her grandfather she stopped, when she saw Celeborn standing there with his eyes closed and his hands stretched up toward the sky. Not comprehending what was going on she stood there transfixed trying not to breathe, so as not to disturb whatever message her grandfather was sending or receiving.

Having lived now for so long in the Golden Wood with her grandparents she was still in awe of the power her grandparents could put forth. Not that they displayed it often, but when they did, she always felt overwhelmed.

After a few hours while her grandfather still stood frozen to the spot she heard a strange sound. Looking up she could see nothing, yet the trees began to sway as if they were in a strong breeze.

But to her utter amazement it was absolutely windless. And then she heard a mighty screech. Instinctively she ducked her head, never having heard such a sound before. Celeborn was still standing on the edge of the platform, his eyes open now, his gaze turned upward.

Her curiosity greater than her fear, she lifted her skirt and quickly descended the many steps down the talan. Nearly running she hastened along the path toward the great clearing she knew to be located nearly in the middle of the great forest with a high pinnacle in the middle.

She did not know why but somehow she knew that her questions would be answered there. Just as she arrived at the glade her eyes went wide. In the sun lit clearing, two of the mightiest creatures she had ever seen landed.

To be continued……………………

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List