Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Making of a Ringbearer III: Aweigh  by Henna Gamgee

A/N: Yup, still here. If anyone is still reading this, I really am sorry. I know how frustrating it is to read a fic that gets updated so rarely. I do plan to finish this. For some reason I like to write on plane trips, and not only do I have my usual Christmas trip home this year (which is where I wrote this), but I will have some job interviews in January. Two, to be exact, and both require plane trips. Hopefully I'll be caught up on work and able to write fic on the plane.



9. End of the Fair


It was the last day of the Fair when Daisy approached Frodo, who was, as usual, reading in the sitting room with his feet up.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Frodo," she said cheerily.

"The same to you, Daisy," Frodo replied. He felt his curiosity growing; the usually confident lass was clutching her hands together nervously. "Won't you sit down?" he added courteously when she made no move to continue on her way.

"Thankee," Daisy said, and dropped into the chair next to him. "I wondered if… I thought I should…"

She trailed off, but Frodo waited patiently. He closed his book and gave her his full attention. "Is your smial progressing satisfactorily?" he asked when she said nothing else. Number Three Bagshot Row was fully inhabitable once more, and the Gamgees had been busy all morning putting back curtains and making beds, not to mention transferring their belongings from Bag End.

"Oh, yes!" Daisy said. "Only I noticed—I wanted to ask you… Well, I was having a look round the pantry earlier, and I couldn't help but notice. We've about eaten you out of house and home, Mr. Frodo!" she exclaimed at last.

"That's quite all right," Frodo said with a laugh.

"But you've really been far too kind, and I couldn't bear to leave your stores so depleted." Daisy said in a rush. "I thought I'd take May and we'd do your marketing this afternoon, if you don't mind, Mr. Frodo."

"Why should I mind? That's very kind of you," Frodo said. "If you'll fetch Pippin for me, I'll ask him to get you some money."

"Thankee, but that's not necessary," Daisy said, with a stubborn expression that warned Frodo to tread carefully.

"I'd hardly be much of a host if I let my guests pay their own way, now would I?"

"This is hardly a normal situation, Mr. Frodo," Daisy insisted. "And we'd really like to repay your kindness in puttin' us up so long."

"You've already done that," Frodo told her. "You and May and Sam have looked after everything. And Marigold has done most of the cooking! No, if you're going to do my marketing as well, I must insist on paying for it."

Daisy looked like she might argue some more, but Pippin and Hob raced by just then and Frodo caught his cousin by the sleeve, whispering what he wanted.

Pippin nodded and ran off, little Hob trailing behind. Daisy looked at Frodo consideringly, but finally sighed and asked Frodo if he needed anything in particular while she was out. Frodo shook his head.

May came in then, with a large basket over her arm, and Frodo was afraid Pippin would be too late. But just as the two lasses were headed for the door, Pippin and Hob returned, flushed and breathless. Pippin whispered in Hob's ear and stuffed something into his little hand. Hob nodded eagerly and ran over to Daisy, twining his small arms around her waist.

"I love you, Aunt Daisy!" the child exclaimed, grinning madly.

Daisy sighed. "You're not near as sneaky as you think you are, Hob-lad," she said, patting the coins he'd slipped into her dress pocket. "But thankee, Mr. Frodo," she added, nodding at her host. "We'll be back by teatime, I should think."

Frodo smiled and picked up his book.



Merry set the dish of butter on the table and frowned. "All set for tea," he called to Frodo, who was still in the sitting room. "And I think I hear Daisy and May coming back. Sam, would you mind helping Frodo to the table?"

"My pleasure, Mr. Merry." Sam turned from the wash basin, shaking out his hands. He'd been in the garden all day and finally seemed satisfied that he'd repaired most of the damage.

Merry stepped outside to call Pippin, Hob, and Marigold and his eyes widened. Not only were Daisy and May headed up the walk, but they had brought company. Two friends of Frodo's he recognized, Folco Boffin and Fredegar (Fatty) Bolger, with a lovely lass he couldn't help staring at.

"Hullo, Merry!" Folco called out. "I hope you don't mind us turning up like this, but we saw the Gamgees in town and wondered if we might come along and check on Frodo."

"Of course," Merry stammered. He elbowed Pippin, who was peering over his shoulder curiously, and whispered, "set another three places at table, quick!"

Everyone filed inside, and Merry stood awkwardly as the strange girl passed him.

"Why, don't you know me Merry?" she asked. "It's been years, hasn't it. I'm Estella!"

Fatty's sister. They'd played together years ago. Merry felt himself blushing fiercely. "Sorry… it's good to see you again. You've grown a lot," he added lamely.

Estella laughed and linked her arm through his. "Come along, Merry. What's for tea?"



Tea was a happy affair, although somewhat mortifying for Frodo.

"You should hear the talk in town," Fatty exclaimed. "Everybody's saying you're a hero, that you went into a burning smial and rescued someone!"

"He rescued me," Hob pronounced proudly.

Sam smiled and shoveled some more bacon onto Frodo's plate, thinking his master looked far too thin these days. "Aye, our Mr. Frodo is a hero, an' that's a fact."

Frodo cleared his throat and tried to concentrate on his bacon. He could feel his face heating up.

Folco grinned at his friend. "Why, Frodo, you're blushing!" he crowed delightedly.

"No, I'm not," Frodo said primly, hoping it wouldn't be true if he didn't acknowledge it.

"Yes, you are," Merry said, and bit into an apple.

Hob studied him. "You are rather red, Mr. Frodo," he confided. "Rather like a ripe tomato."

Everyone laughed, and Frodo groaned and blushed even more.

"Just think, Frodo, this almost makes up for your reputation for oddity," Folco said teasingly.

"I've never minded being odd," Frodo protested. "I just hope folks get tired of talking about this soon."

"Seems unlikely," Marigold said matter-of-factly. "Nothing so interestin' has happened round here in years, an' folks are bound to talk about it for a good long time, if ye follow me."

Frodo groaned and covered his flaming face while the others laughed. If he had known the thoughts behind the laughter Frodo would have blushed even more. Everyone present had already held the young master of Bag End in high esteem, for his kindness, his generosity, and his good humour. But recent events had earned him their admiration as well, for Frodo's bravery and quick thinking had saved a child's life, and they wanted all the Shire to know it.

Fatty and Estella had to leave soon after tea, much to Merry's confused disappointment, but Folco stayed well past supper, keeping Frodo company while the others finished up the work on Number Three, Bagshot Row. By the time Folco took his leave, the Gamgees had moved home, leaving Frodo with Merry, Pippin, and a thankfully replenished pantry.



The trickle of hobbits returning home from the Fair had swelled to a flood, and Frodo found himself spending the morning alone. Merry and Pippin had run off to Hobbiton to watch people coming back and hear the news. Frodo was allowed to hobble around for brief periods, but his burns were still painful enough that he found he didn't want to be on his feet any more than necessary. Thus when someone rang the bell, Frodo was rather reluctant to rise from his armchair.

"Come in!" he shouted, hoping the visitor would hear through the open foyer window and open the unlocked door. After a brief pause, the door opened to reveal Hamson and Henna Gamgee, with Sam lurking behind them.

Frodo blinked. "Do come in," he repeated, motioning to the other chairs in the sitting room. He wondered if he should offer them tea, and how he would get to the kitchen.

They sat, and Frodo looked at them uncertainly. Hamson looked more uncomfortable than Frodo had ever seen him, and Henna was wringing her hands.

Finally Hamson cleared his throat, and much to Frodo's surprise, came forward to Frodo's chair, going down on one knee and clasping Frodo's hand tightly.

"We just wanted to thankee, most sincerely, for savin' our lad," Hamson said gravely.

Henna came forward too, and she bent down to hug him and kiss his cheek. "When I think what might've happened, well…"

Frodo patted her hand awkwardly. "I'm just glad Hob is all right."

They both smiled, and Henna looked at Frodo's feet, eyes tracing the white bandages that still covered his burns.

"It's nothing, really," Frodo said hastily, seeing the direction of her gaze. "Everything is healing well, and I'll be good as new in no time."

Henna put her hands on her hips. "That, Master Baggins, is not 'nothing', an' there's no use denyin' it."

"We're real sorry you got hurt," Hamson said sincerely, "an' you know if there's ever anythin' we can do for ye, don't hesitate to ask."

"We're off home tomorrow," Henna added, "but Sam ain't going anywhere."

Sam nodded vigorously. "Ye can call on me anytime, Mr. Frodo, an' that's a fact. I'm out in the garden most days, and I'll hear if ye shout."

"I'll remember that, thank you." Frodo was touched, but with the way they were all looking at him he really wanted to change the subject. "How was the Fair? Did you bring back any news?"

"Halfred asked Jessimine ta marry him, and she said yes!" Sam piped up excitedly.

"Well, that's wonderful!" Frodo said, truly happy for is friends.

Henna laughed, and Hamson rolled his eyes. "You're supposed ta let Hal share the good news, Sam-lad."

Sam grinned guiltily. "Well, I'll let you share your own news, at least," he said.

Hamson just shook his head. Frodo looked between them curiously as Henna smiled and rested a hand on the gentle swell of her belly through her loose skirts.

"Well, you see Mr. Frodo, we're expectin' another little one," Hamson said, wrapping an arm about his wife's waist.

Frodo laughed delightedly and congratulated them both. Unfortunately he forgot about his poor burned feet when he jumped up to hug them, and Sam had to catch him when he stumbled. Luckily Sam was both tall and broad for his age and didn't even stagger as he took his master's slighter weight and eased him back into his chair.

Frodo smiled sheepishly, wincing at the soreness of his feet. "Er, I don't suppose I could get you some tea?" he said hesitantly, wondering again how he would get to the kitchen and whether Merry and Pippin would be home in time to help.

"I can get it, Mr. Frodo," Sam volunteered. He hurried off without waiting for a reply and returned shortly with Frodo's tea set and several kinds of biscuits.



Much later, Hamson and Henna had gone, and Sam helped Frodo to his room and changed his bandages, an office he had performed several times since the fire.

"Is there anythin' else I can do for ye, Mr. Frodo?" Sam inquired when he was finished.

"No, thank you, Sam," Frodo said with a sigh.

Sam frowned. "Is somethin' wrong? Didn't I do somethin' right, Mr. Frodo?"

"No, not at all," Frodo assured him hastily. He hesitated, but Sam was clearly expecting him to say something else, so he decided to share his thoughts. "It's not that I don't appreciate everything you've done for me this week, Sam, it's just I feel a bit guilty."

"Guilty!" Sam exclaimed. "Whatever for, sir?"

"Well, having you serve me like this, performing duties so far from your usual responsibilities as my gardener."

"But I like doing for ye, Mr. Frodo!" Sam protested. "I feel right proud of myself when I can do somethin' that helps you. What's wrong with that?"

Frodo smiled fondly at the tween. "Nothing at all, Sam. I will always be happy to have you attend me, whether as my gardener or as my friend."

Sam beamed delightedly. "Well then, Mr. Frodo, I'll ask again. Is there anythin' you need before I go home/"

"Nothing, but thank you," Frodo said affectionately. "Good night, Sam."

"Good night, sir."



TBC

I actually wrote almost a whole 'nother chapter on the plane, so for once you can expect an update in the near future. That should be up before New Year's. Happy Holidays!






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List