Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Cusp of Victory  by Kara's Aunty

Disclaimer: Lord of the Rings is owned by J.R.R. Tolkien, his family, New Line cinema, etc. I have written this for my own enjoyment.

Summary: Sam’s showdown with Gollum on Sauron’s Road does not unfold as the Fates decreed …

A Trabble (300 words)

Chapter One: Sauron's Road 

“Now!” said Sam, rounding on Gollum as Frodo fled up the long path towards the Sammath Naur, “at last I can deal with you!” He leaped forward with his drawn blade ready for battle. Gollum drew back with a vicious growl.

“Thinks it can hurt uss with nasty cruel steel, it does,” he hissed. “Stupid fat hobbit wants to keep uss from the Preciouss! Well, we won‘t letss it!”

Quick as a flash, the erstwhile Ring-bearer bent down, grabbed a sizeable rock from the rubble-strewn path and threw it with all the force of his loathing towards his nemesis. Caught off guard, Sam wasn’t quick enough to duck from its path; it struck his left temple. Pain exploded through his head and he staggered, stunned by the blow. Heat trickled down his face and into his eye, blinding him on one side. He tried to right himself before his enemy took advantage, swiping frantically at the blood with his filthy sleeve.

But it was too late. Frenzied snarls sounded from ahead - no, from above! The maddened creature was flying at him!

And him as could barely see to defend himself!

Righteous anger flooded the little gardener. That slinker! What sort of a sneak attacked a half-blind hobbit? And what sort of a servant was he anyway, to lead his master through all the evils of Arda and on to the cusp of victory itself, only to abandon him to an uncertain fate for no more than the flick of a stone?

The Gaffer would have his guts for braces if he found out!

Fighting nausea and dizziness, Sam opened his good eye, raised his sword and, summoning all his wrath, took his best stab in the direction of the snarls.

And, against all the odds, the snarls stopped.

Forever.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Author's Note: Some dialogue taken directly from The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Six, Chapter 3: Mount Doom.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List