Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Hunting Trip  by Ithilien

****

The Hunting Trip
Chapter 24: Two Parts United

Kattica put on a personality, though she did not know she could act. She was pleased at how easily she fell into it as it was not typical of her to behave in such a fashion. After living a life where she bowed her head and never talked back to her elders, and most certainly not to men, it felt amazingly liberating to walk forcefully through the camp, head held high, eyes focused and sharp as Gordash followed in her wake. Her voice barked out, "Leave me then. If he fears to see me in the open, he would not want witness when we meet in private."

Kattica had to restrain herself from laughing. Under normal circumstances, away from the witchery and manipulations that had almost become the norm in the camp, Gordash was a dear brother-in-law. The grand-sized man had a heart that was large and tender and he could always be counted on as an aide to the camp. It nearly broke Kattica's heart when he had been bent so easily to Bregus' dominance, and the girl had watched the beloved spirit fade quietly over the months into a monstrous sort of bully. She had not liked Gordash much of late, and it gave her pleasure to see him somewhat humbled by the character she was putting on for all of the camp to ponder.

There too was Curtik. As the younger brother, closest in age to her, he had always shied away from her companionship. Mattias told her once that he suspected his youngest sibling had a small infatuation with her, and though Kattica denounced such a thing to her husband, secretly she agreed it might be true. She found him often watching her, yet he nearly always fled when she came near. It was the baby she hoped that might bring Curtik closer. He was wonderful with children, and Kattica longed to see how he might take to a niece even if he feared being close to the child's mother. She had hoped to make him see some day that women could be companions, not just wives and lovers.

She looked at him now. Over the last several months as Bregus had become more secretive and isolated, so too had Curtik, talking only with the men and barely making contact on more than a one-on-one basis. It was now amusing to see that both brothers appeared startled by the transfiguration in the girl. This at least was assuring, for it gave Kattica the confidence she needed to go on in her false guise. She was playing a dangerous game and she knew it.

Her hand shook as she drew back the curtain to enter the tented wagon. She knew she could not give up her resolve and so fixed her face in one of confidence. She licked her lips nervously before letting her voice contradict the fear that raced in her chest. "So where is my dear husband? Do we have Mattias within?" she asked sardonically.

The charade came to a halt when she entered the wagon. Of course she knew Mattias to be here and her eyes did not lie when she beheld him. She gulped convulsively. The look he cast at her told her that he seemed not affected by the energy she put into her act. He held his gaze on her, and this time refused to shy from the nearness of her body. She could see his eyes piercing her, trying to recognize the soul within her to which he had been privy in their physical bond and she found her pretense melting. She could not keep it up with him.

She realized she was frightened in his presence. She felt a strange foreignness about him. Was this truly Mattias? His earlier actions would tell her it was but she reminded herself that he had betrayed her when she had begged him to leave. In the back of her mind she realized she had not quite forgiven him for that or allowed those feelings to heal and she knew she would have to let it go if they were to get past this breech. He appeared so much her Mattias, and yet she was uncertain she could trust him. It was the separation that Bregus had thrust upon them that had done this, though Kattica recognized it could be repaired if she could only reach his soul. And if he would hear her out.

It did not help that he had witnessed her act with such depraved indifference to hurting the Elf before. That she had confessed this sin to herself and to Legolas was unknown to him and she reminded herself of this fact. She was willing to make up for it now if he would be willing to acknowledge her remorse. Could she redeem herself to Mattias? She wanted it very much to happen.

A thought occurred to her as she gazed upon his emotionless face. Was he even himself any more? She knew Bregus was powerful, and though exhausted, the elder seemed to exude great influence over her kin even in the meekest of efforts. It could very well be that Mattias' pull toward moral thinking was swayed once again by the old woman. Could this be a test, a trap to assess the young woman's loyalty? Kattica tried to brace herself for all possibilities.

Yet her mind automatically countered this fear as her eyes moved down his bandaged arms. He had been attacked by the dogs, and she doubted Bregus had intentionally done this. To Kattica, the assault was evidence that Bregus' control was slipping. Would the dogs have had opportunity to maul one of their own so freely if the old woman were in her right mind? It was doubtful. The dogs' task had been to watch over the prisoners and the camp, and unless they somehow realized Mattias was attempting to free the Elf, they would not have normally pursued a Romany let alone the camp leader. Bregus' mind must have strayed from her control over the animals. The dogs' message must have been muddled. It was the only solution Kattica had for what had happened.

Then words spilled forth, interrupting Kattica's thoughts, and he surprised her. As if reading her mind he took a step closer, gazing almost coldly into her eyes and then glancing down at her swollen belly. His eyes swept up, and he looked to her in askance, his expression suddenly softened. "May I?" he said and she nodded. With a gentle caress, his hand came down and wrapped tenderly about her rounded womb. As if sensing him, the baby kicked and a small smile flickered across his lips. Kattica smiled in turn. It was a familiar moment, one like so many before these trying events. Tears brimmed her eyes again as she looked upon him and she found him to be staring at her. Could it be? Was it truly him?

She wanted to touch him, something simple to assure herself his presence was still there. He had been so alien to her of late, and she supposed she had been alien to him as well. His eyes studied her and she found herself suddenly shy and awkward in his presence. But she could understand why he needed to consider her so long. It was for the same reason that her trust in him was so shaken. What she had asked of him, what he had offered, she realized now what it had meant to them both. They had both been true to their characters, but there had been something missing in their exchanges. Communication between them had been readily absent. But this mix-up went back much further than just the last few days. In a way, this was something that the girl knew she had brought upon herself.

For years now, Kattica had kept her fears and knowledge of what the elder had been from Mattias because she feared hurting him or making him choose between Bregus and herself. He had not been given the knowledge of everything Bregus had been and now she realized he had been forced to react only to Kattica's actions. He did not know what the cause of them was. Perhaps if she had been more open, shared her fears more plainly, he might have seen the danger and have worked to correct this long before anything more had come to be. So much of what was now their turmoil could have been prevented, Kattica realized, and it was her fault it had not been.

In that instance, she saw there was much to repair in their relationship. Could they begin here? Could he ever learn to understand or trust her again?

"Mattias," she softly whispered, and her hand instinctively reached up to touch his face. To her relief, he leaned in to her caress. Just that alone was enough to give her reason for small joy. And then he gazed up. An expression danced across his face that told her the truth of what lie in his heart. He was aching just as she was. A knot closed in on her throat as her eyes mirrored his.

"You did not send the dogs to attack me, did you?" he whispered.

So choked for words was she that Kattica could only shake her head.

"She did it? Mother?" he asked, and his voice cracked.

Her own voice would not come. Instead, she nodded slowly.

"Do you think she intended to kill me?" he asked sadly.

Kattica fought to speak around the lump in her throat. "It was a mistake, I think. One of them also came at me only minutes before you, but I withdrew. That is why I was looking about for the dogs. I feared they might return. Still, I don't think she really had intention for the animals to attack one of the tribe. "

He looked intensely at her. His stormy eyes met hers and she found herself torn between relief and fear. She was joyously happy to find his self-control holding and, at the same moment, tremendously frightened, fearing a trap. "Kattica, what has happened to us?" he asked and she gasped at the question.

She could not answer. Her throat felt too tight, and she was choking on the guilt borne from his knowledge of what lay in her heart. Looking away, her face flushed in humiliation and she began to pull back but his hand swept up and took her heated palm into his own.

"It is my fault, all of this. I brought this upon us," he said.

Her jaw dropped and she gaped at him. How could he be responsible when Bregus had been the one to bring this strife upon them and Kattica had been so resolute not to disturb the peace?

He shook his head as if reading her thoughts, negating her responsibility. "I brought this upon you. I did it. I should have seen what she was forcing from you. Kattica, I am so sorry! Forgive me, please." She felt his strong arms sweep her into an embrace and she could hardly contain herself. Desperate. That is was how she felt. She clung to him as fiercely as he clung to her. It felt wonderful to be held again, to be loved again. How she had missed him. How much she ached to tell him everything that had been happening. But first she needed to make what he said clear in her mind.

"Mattias, what - what are you saying?" she finally managed to stammer out.

"I should have seen it, Kattica. I have long known that my mother used her influence to manipulate and maneuver others into her schemes, but I never realized how far she could go until I saw how she had bent you. I did not think it could happen. I never wanted her to affect you like this. It is I who has brought this upon you. Please tell me, is it too late to recover you? Will you ever be the person I knew?" And then he furthered Kattica's shock by crying. "I am sorry!" he whispered to her.

Kattica reached up and took his face into her hands, drawing him near so she might console him. "Oh Mattias! Is it truly you?" With teary eyes he looked at her and grimly smiled, nodding. Then Kattica cried, "It is not your fault! It is not your doing! Mattias, she bewitched you. She took away your power to decide and she would not allow you to see it. She kept you blind to her doings. She has done so for years."

Confusion crossed his brow. "Years? Years? Has it been that long? Why did I not see it before?"

"She is a powerful witch, Mattias. She uses dark spells to attain her whims," Kattica said, touching his face again to assure herself this was real.

"But why?" Mattias said, staggering slightly.

"She wants her youth returned. She wants Bäla back in her life. You heard some of her rant. She thinks she may bring him back," Kattica said.

"She is mad. That is what fully convinced me of it. Her raving" He turned around, bringing hands to his temples and squeezing his eyes shut as if he did not want to see this. "Alas! I should have known!"

Kattica was moved to embrace him, to console him. "How could you know?"

He turned and faced her, caressing her skin with a callused thumb. "Ah, Kattica, sweet Kattica, you do not know. You do not know what it was like in this camp when my father still lived. You do not know what it was like between them."

"Please tell me then why this revelation makes you quail."

"He was an egotistical man, Kattica. He was tyrannical and many feared him. My brothers and I feared him. She was the only one who could stand up to him. He actually respected her that. Outwardly, there appeared nothing but hatred between them, but truthfully there was a passion that even I did not understand," he said sighing.

"She speaks of him as if she worships him," Kattica said with a perplexed frown.

"Ever since his death, she has been this way. Nothing wayward could be said of him, though when he lived she had nothing but cruel words for him. She mourns him so now."

"Was there love between them?" Kattica asked with a stunned whisper.

"I think this was their way of expressing it, through harsh words, violence and lustful acts. She was hardly mother to us. Others in the camp played that role and she seemed not to notice. Her mind was filled with ambition. I never wanted my marriage to be like theirs, Kattica, or my wife to be like her."

"I do not understand how this can be. The way she speaks of him - "

"- As if he were a god," Mattias completed the thought. "Aye, I know. I think now that he is gone, she is lonely."

"But what of you and your brothers. Surely - "

Mattias scowled. "She does not love us, Kattica. Not as you love. She rules us. We have always been just another tool to her. I do not know if Curtik and Gordash ever really realized it. They were always - still are - desperate for her approval and love. Yet I think he was the only thing she ever truly wanted, only she could not be satisfied when she had him. When he died, that was when she came to realize how much she needed him."

"You make it sound as if she has no heart," Kattica argued.

"Perhaps she does not. She was ambitious. It angered her that he did not try even harder to further their position. She never thought he was doing enough," Mattias said.

"They were already leaders of the tribe. What more did she want?" Kattica asked.

Mattias smiled grimly. "My father's point precisely. He wanted nothing more than to rule our own tribe and for us to prosper. It was mother who wanted to see the clan expand so our family would be large enough to rule all the gatherings. She was constantly trying to recruit others into our family by whatever means."

Kattica scoffed, "Strange that I was not given such welcome."

"She was afraid of you. Perhaps because she dabbled in the dark arts and she feared you would know it," he offered.

"I knew it, but that was not the reason she has hated me."

"What then?" he asked.

Kattica swallowed. "I dare not say. Jealousy perhaps? Her feelings for you are dark, Mattias. It makes our situation ever worse. We must flee. There is danger everywhere due to her," Kattica warned.

"I never suspected she had grown so strong," he murmured.

"You could not know while under her power," she said.

"I gave her the opportunity." Mattias looked away, seemingly ashamed. She saw his face flush and a grim expression cross his brow. "When Bäla died and Mother clearly went into mourning, I tried to do what I could to console her. I suppose that I too was trying to earn her love. She was never truly evil with us, Kattica, never that I could see, and despite all, I do love her, though I loathe her actions. I gave her the opportunity to continue her role, though when he died it was no longer hers. It looked harmless. After he died, she seemed to shrink up, and her goals always appeared to be small things. One more night in a haven, fresh greens from a garden, a small barrel of tavern brew. It was never much really. But it was always too much. Just one thing more than what we were ever offered or for which we could pay. She resented that we could not obtain it, yet she knew the burden really fell to herself for I had allowed her to decide. She began to loathe herself, and the worship of Bäla became enforced. Somehow she thought he might have done better. And maybe he would have. It did not stop her from wanting, and when she could not have it, from taking. By the time I saw the estrangement she was reaping in our wake, it was too late to rein her in. She had grown used to having a say. She took over and I I did nothing to stop it. To stop her."

"She cast spells on you then. You cannot blame yourself. You did not realize she was doing such things to you," Kattica assured him.

"You were unaffected though," he pointed out.

"She tried, but her spells always failed on me. I fought her. That is the key. She cannot truly take one in black magic if one knows one is being guided by it. It is frightening though, because if the wielder is clever enough, the ones who are possessed never know they are taken. That is what has happened to this camp. They can fight it only if they realize they are not in their own right mind. I was stronger than I perceived. I fought her off," she answered then raised her hand to the amulet hanging around her neck. "Or perhaps I had additional help."

"Yet she reached you, this time," Mattias said.

"She threatened your life. She threatened the baby's life. I complied willingly to save you. In that she did take me," Kattica answered with shame, eyes cast down.

"She threatened your life as well, did she not?" he asked, though it was not really a question.

"Yes," Kattica whispered.

He then crushed her into his strong chest. "Oh, dear Kattica, I am sorry! I am sorry!"

Kattica could feel tears spilling forth from her eyes, but these were tears of joy. "How I have prayed that you would come back to me, that you would believe me. Once before I asked for your complicity and you denied it. But now "

"That was not me. I swear it was not. But you have me now and I believe you. And I will not bend to her will any longer," he said with conviction.

"Thank you, Mattias. Thank you," she sighed.

They stood like that for a long moment before tearing themselves apart. The danger about was real and Kattica could almost feel it.

"We must leave here," he said.

"Yes," she agreed, though she found it difficult to break away from him despite knowing she must.

"We cannot leave the strangers behind."

"I will not do that, Mattias. I have come back to myself and I will not allow them to fall victims." She paused before speaking. Touching his hand she said, "Will you help me in this?"

"Yes, of course," he said, and she explained all she knew to him. She did not tell Mattias of Bregus' alternative plan to use him instead of Anborn. That was one blow too many, and she felt she had to spare his feelings for his mother in some way. She could shield him from this much of his mother's darkness at least.

One positive thing, however, could be found to give her hope. Locked within the confines of the supply wagon, Kattica and Mattias were reunited in heart and thought. Together they would find a way, as if they were two parts of a mirrored object rejoined.

After some time passed discussing possible options, they agreed upon a plan, though his response was as she expected. "Would it not be better to free them and to flee ourselves?" he asked.

"If she had no allies it would, but there are many eyes in this camp, and I know not how many are reporting back to her now through their connection to her mind. I only hope my ruse will hold. I have free access at the moment. That may not last. I need her to think I am true to the darkness," Kattica said.

"As she thinks that I am?" he asked.

"She thinks you are loyal to her and you must not let her think otherwise," she demanded. With one last embrace and a stirring kiss, she turned away from him, but not before looking back. She was smiling with encouragement.

His expression was grim, but his eyes expressed earnest hope and he gave her a small grin. "Luck to you, Kattica," he said. "I will look for you as we had planned. May good fortune follow you, as will my heart."

Kattica felt her face beam in joy, but then knowing the danger, she schooled the expression away. Then she drew through the curtains to the wagon and found herself again in the camp. The curtain of her false self went up to replace the giddy happiness she truly felt. It was time to act her role.

Mattias followed her, his expression of quiet sympathy now substituted with something akin to fear. She turned to him, staring at him as if angered, and he flinched as if he truly did believe it. But he spoke next and she realized it was his way of telling her everything between them was well. He said, "Please, Kattica. Do not tell her. You must believe me. I was not trying to free them!"

She scowled in response. "As her apprentice it is my duty to protect this camp and her hostages." She emphasized this last word and she could see several sets of eyes turn toward the Elf and Man on the other side of the camp as if pondering them for the first time. "You nearly ruined everything."

Mattias straightened as if mustering his courage. "I am her son. She will believe me."

"Silence, unless you wish to wake her yourself!"

Mattias drew back, as if indeed frightened of that very prospect. "Nay, but please . . ."

Kattica stepped forward, and act or no act she could not resist. "I will not tell," she said, stroking his cheek seductively. "You are my husband after all." Then removing her hand she turned cold, whispering but in a voice loud enough for all those near to hear, "And you are tribal leader. As a member of this camp my loyalty is to that above all else." Her eyes swiftly swept over the others, taking them in and hoping their thoughts were breaking free of Bregus' hold. And she hoped also that those that were not might be reporting her seeming loyalty to the old woman. She needed Bregus' trust if this were to work. And yet she fought for dual purposes. Kattica suspected Bregus was losing control, and anything she could do to further the independent thinking of their people, she would. She added, "You rule this camp. If you command it, I will obey."

She watched him as he pretended to act as if he had achieved some great goal. Then he squared his jaw and quietly said, "You are so different from what you were, Kattica. It is as if you have been transformed!"

Kattica scoffed. "Transformed? I? I act as I have always acted. Just as you have always acted as you do now. I remember nothing being different. I am Bregus' servant, and I obey her unless I am ordered otherwise by an authority higher." Her intent was that these words might surprise them. The contrast between who she had been and who she was now was great, but was it enough to give them pause to consider their own motivations?

The hurt in Mattias' eyes was near believable, and a small swell in her throat came forth by gazing there. She could feel her eyes sting with tears as he said, "I command it of you then. You will not tell her."

A small murmur of wonder swept through the crowd. She bowed her head in seeming acquiescence, but truthfully it was to hide the small smile that crept over her face. He had played this well, as had she, and her plan for their people was working.

With eyes cast down she backed away from him, retreating as the voices grew louder and the crowd milled closer to him. The people asked Mattias questions that thankfully diverted attention away from her.

"What did she mean by 'hostages', Mattias?"

"She made it seem like you should be afraid of Bregus, Mattias. Why should you be afraid?"

"She should back down! It is not right to question your authority."

"Aye! We follow your word, Mattias. You are rightful leader."

"Mattias? Why are the strangers being kept?"

"I cannot recall it either. There was something about them doing harm to us, was there not? Or was it salvation?"

As the voices swooped in on Mattias, she slipped over to where the bender tents were and made her way to her own shelter where she knew Bregus would be sleeping. Her heart was beating wildly in her chest. This was the danger of her plan and it would decide her fate. Succeed and everyone in the tribe would be freed. Fail and the Elf and the Man would be killed, not to mention herself and her child. And perhaps even more would die. That she could not foresee. It was terribly risky, and it would be far easier to just flee right now. She and Mattias could get away and start anew on their own. Yet her conscience would no longer allow her to desert Legolas and Anborn to the old witch's devices. Bregus would still succeed if Kattica did not act in someway against her, and though fleeing now would keep the girl alive, she was not sure she would want to be if she did not try to help.

She could also just go and cut their ropes in open view and be done with it, as Mattias suggested, but Legolas' legs were still hindered and she was not certain he could run in this state. No doubt did she have that he and Anborn would be hunted down and brought back if she did nothing to remedy this. And then she would have exposed herself too and her chance to get away would be gone.

Mattias had been afraid for her. He saw her task as going face to face with the enemy. Kattica was certain, though, that he had the harder job, for once she planted the seed of doubt in their people's minds, it was his to make it grow while seeming true to his mother, at least temporarily. He would be the one ultimately testing their loyalties. If she succeeded.

They both knew the risk for failure, and if this did not work, they would try to get away regardless of harm to others, meeting alone as they had decided. But it could not fail. It should not fail.

Kattica knew the potency of the vision-seeker drug. For a moment she remembered the bowl and her prior intent to dispose of the contents. She had not. She had left it out in the open near Bregus' wagon and she worried what could happen if it were mistakenly put in the wrong hands. But she decided not to fret. No one but she or Bregus' sons neared the old woman's vardo, and they knew better than to touch any of her potions. Of course Bregus also had access to the wagon, but Bregus was asleep, and if Kattica was successful, Bregus would stay asleep for some time.

The purpose of the drug was this: it made its recipient extremely susceptible to suggestion and vision. Not anyone could wield it though and Kattica had no personal experience with it since Bregus had never deemed her ready to progress in her training to that level. Yet it was said that through it the great shuvanis could enter thoughts and maneuver the user into paths of grand discovery. They could see into the future, into the beyond, and into the thoughts in the user's mind. It was a drug with tremendous benefits, and also horrible ramifications if abused. Kattica was certain Bregus' intent had been one of harm, but this was a way to redeem that. Though her own skill was new, Kattica felt certain she could reach the old woman's mind, and through it cut off the contact she had with the tribe. The beginnings of a break were there already, and it was up to Kattica to complete the task. Kattica had to have faith in herself, and also in Bregus' befuddled state for she also knew without guidance the user was lost somewhat in hallucinations. She was certain this is what had caused the dogs to veer off of their goal, to harm one of the tribe. It was the command of a mind gone mad. Fortunately, the drug only lasted a few hours and that time for Bregus would be ending soon. If Kattica were to act, she had to do it now.

She took a deep breath then entered the tent.

Bregus lay still, frighteningly still. The light of the tent cast an eerie blue-green light that made the old woman's skin a sickly tint and the deep lines in her face somehow deeper. Circles of sunken skin ringed the elder's eyes and it was all Kattica could do to repress a shiver. She felt as if she were looking upon a corpse. It was only the slight rise and fall of the old woman's chest that let Kattica know Bregus still lived.

Fighting her fear, Kattica prepared herself. She calmed her mind, much like Bregus had taught her, and let the repetition of a quieting incantation roll over her thoughts. She had to bring herself into a trance to make this work. The words were in her head, and the fluidity of the unspoken sounds droned over and over her consciousness. Ever-changing and simultaneously always constant the chants came again and again. Releasing her from earthbound troubles, the words morphed and crystallized into shapes and figures until soon they were no longer words but pure sound, resonating in lovely tones that could only be heard in her brain. They were accompanied by images she could not describe, and yet she was grounded. The world spun around her, though her focused eyes never lost their bearings. She was floating upward, skyward and free, and yet she was awkwardly heavy, her body pressing stolidly into the earth. A hyperawareness came to her as her present condition rolled away. She could see and hear everything about her, but it was as if she were a distant observer.

Placing fingers to Bregus' brow and cheek in much the same way as she had done with Legolas, the girl pressed on and her mind entered the old woman's thought. Fleeting visions skipped through her in a dizzying array. So much passed there and for a minute she was lost. These were Bregus' thoughts in a jumbled, disconnected world. A seat at the wagon bench as it was being pulled by a team of horses children playing around the campfire the music of an impromptu performance within the family a knife skinning a stag after a day's hunt aiding in the birth of a child watching a loved one die in a small tent a hand slapping her face the Elf's cursing words the look of glee in her own eyes the dream of the cave that was the Protected Place watching Anborn caress a woman's face in the moonlight the contents of the bowl the feel of the medicine on her fingersBälaMattias' wild look of fear Anborn

It terrified Kattica. So many thoughts whirled by so quickly and she came to realize in that instant how difficult the task that she had set out for herself was. Time was short, and wandering aimlessly through Bregus' sifting thoughts would aid no one. She floundered, seeking control but knowing not how to attain it. Frustration for the bend of time teased at her but slowly she found her reign. She drew into image, putting her own thoughts forward so it was not at Bregus' discretion where they went, and that is when she felt it again. The warm and tantalizing taste of the darkness. It tempted her, yet Kattica refused to relish it. She denied it access into her waking thoughts. She could not take backward steps. She needed to use this skill, and black though it was, there was no allusion that this was anything but self-preservation. I will not allow this to taint me! she thought.

Leading the other, Kattica directed Bregus' mind to the Man and Elf, for this is what she first needed to learn. She asked the pertinent inquiries that had been playing in her mind. Who, what, where, when, why, how? This was done with all the accoutrements of questioning that filled in the blanks to Kattica's understanding, and a long dialog between the two women commenced, though words were never spoken. More images flashed before her, and a clearer vision of what was to be came unto her. It was frightening. Future holdings and desires lingered forth from the old woman and Kattica was surprised and appalled that someone so old might linger in such depths of ambition and blind jealousy. She would have thought that that need might have been quenched at this age, but it was apparent the shuv'ni's longings were not stanched. Bregus wanted and needed a long line of yearnings, and the girl could see the desires for greatness and power were a well of infinite depths to her. They could never be fulfilled. With dread Kattica feared what might come should the old woman succeed in her plans. Youth would feed her goals. With renewed life, there was no telling how much harm could be wrought.

One thing showed itself that gave Kattica courage. There was fear in the elder for what she was about to undertake and the girl drew into that. She could see its great depths and she stirred the brew of it. If they took the cave, if she killed the Elf, if she allowed Bäla's spirit to possess . . The elder's apprehensions grew and Kattica smiled to herself, thinking that if she could make the worry strong enough, the old woman might be convinced not to act on this depravity. The down-reaching uncertainty was made up of an insecurity that highlighted Bregus' fear of failure and Kattica saw and felt the elder's masked hesitations there. They were great. Fear of soldiers. Fear of weapons. Fear of being overwhelmed. Fear of attack. Fear of being wrong. And most significant, fear of her people's rejection should she lead them into danger. The bounds of her strength were only so strong. Fortunately, the fear was strong as well.

This led to the other path that Kattica had been seeking to find. It was the one that gave Bregus control over her people. It was there before her then, and Kattica startled at its appearance. It was rooted and rocky, not smooth and well-kept as the elder would lead her to believe. Again the girl smiled, seeing she could add more confusion to this road by covering it over and obscuring it. Looking about she sought out a tool to make it so, but in her glancing survey she saw him and it made her stop in her task. Walking past the shadows and into the light, Bäla made his appearance and came to stand before her, blocking Kattica's way to the well of fears and the path of control.

Outwardly, the sight of Bäla focused into her softened vision and inwardly she felt Bregus' desires piqued. It confused Kattica, this wanting for the man so evil, but the description of the elder woman's mate matched Mattias' words to what she saw before her inside Bregus' mind.

Physically, Bäla and Mattias were much the same, and Kattica could feel Bregus pushing and pulling against this. She could sense that the old woman had very much relished the appearance of her husband even as he had aged, though her mind seemed most fixed on him as he had been in his youth, much as Mattias now appeared. Kattica had to admit he was a handsome man, but she found Bregus' desire went beyond normal attraction. She lusted for him and this too was an unquenchable thing that had not been halted by age. Those desires were left without slake. Kattica felt sorry for the old woman and pitied her for the only thing she had left, this memory, and she realized Bregus' thoughts. The shadow of him was left in the face of their son. It sickened the girl as she realized that the feelings and the desires in the old woman's heart had been transferred. From the old man they had moved and taken up residence in the form of her eldest son. Kattica could feel Bregus' eyes washing over this man, and she felt the want for him and the resignation that she might have to settle elsewhere. Madness pressed on Bregus, and Kattica knew the torment of lust fighting against chaste maternal love as Bäla's face became Mattias' and then back again. Bregus wanted her son. But then Kattica saw something else. It was not physical intimacy the old woman desired, though Kattica could sense that too. It was the longing to be cared for and held and loved that the elder truly wanted. And perceiving the emptiness within the old woman, Kattica could see even that this wish could never be sated.

Had this woman never known love in its truest form?

It was easy to slide into Bregus' thoughts and Kattica had to take a step back to catch herself from falling while Bäla inched his way forward. Kattica could see he was trying to move to the forefront of Bregus' thoughts and she righted herself though she felt off-balance. It was a precarious hold Kattica had. There and not there she was, and she had to stir herself from time to time to discern where she ended and Bregus started. The thoughts that rolled through her became partly her own, and she could feel them as if she had conceived them alone. It was not an easy thing, and more than once Kattica had to draw back to preserve herself. Yet it was so lulling, so completing and intoxicating, the feel of the power in taking a mind. She felt tainted by it, as if a part of Bregus were taking over. Still, she remembered Mattias' assurances and she knew she would not fall again. He anchored her to herself and she used memory of him to pull herself back.

Again, Bäla danced into her mind, and as he whipped around, it was almost as if he was gazing upon her. He could see her. Kattica knew it could not be, for he was not real. He was dead. A ghost in Bregus' mind. But he was so vivid. She could feel his presence with her, sitting next to her in the tent and simultaneously not, and she could see his expectation to live again through Bregus' mind. She wondered at that. Could a memory really be reborn? She had heard of possessions by spirits, but she had never truly witnessed one especially as she deemed Bregus' vision of Bäla to be untrue, a phantom only in her mind. Kattica never actually considered him to be there. And yet

His breath whispered upon her neck, and she could feel the lick of his tongue upon her throat. Her own breath quickened slightly to the touch. It seemed so real. Could it be?

In her mind, he laughed, as if recognizing her. A welcoming hand touched her own, and her eyes grew wide in their trance-like state. He could see her!

Wicked words unspoken by him dashed through her mind, and she felt herself recoiling, trying to pull away from him. His grip tightened, and she could see his madness too. It shone in his eyes as they pierced her. In the background she could see Bregus watching, laughing, observing it all as she huddled quietly in her corner. Kattica too was forced to observe. She was forced to see exactly what Bäla wanted, desired.

They were two of the same. Kattica could not discern anymore who was who. Which was Bregus? Which was Bäla? They were one, like a mirrored object united. Their desires were insatiable, demanding, alike. Their dominance and pull toward each other were the riders in this form. They were Bregus in body, but Bäla in mind and Kattica came to see and understand. There was no Bäla. The one who had lived by that name long ago died. His memory existed only in a shell maintained by the twisted dreams of Bregus. He was not real! He was not real!

And yet his grip on her hand grew ever stronger.

She wanted to scream. She wanted to pull away. Yet her conscious mind told her not to do these things as giving in to them would give her place away. This was only a trance. It was not real. It was taking place only within her mind.

She had to take control. She had to restore herself as the dominant position.

Despite all, Bregus slept on and the only physical touch remained the one Kattica had at the gentle placement of her fingers. Her hands shook though as if Bäla's was curled about her own and he was trying to wrestle her loose from the hold into Bregus' mind. More laughter followed as he could perceive her press to fight him and regain mastery over Bregus' mind.

In a flurry of thought, Kattica told herself this was most definitely not the Bäla that Mattias knew. This was a monster of Bregus' concoction, worse even than described, an addendum to the old woman's mind. As she attempted to push his prying away she reminded herself it was doubtful Bäla ever looked as such, acted as such. Yet here he was now, a carryover made real in the old woman's mind.

Kattica tried to redirect the thoughts of the old woman, to focus them on the many she held in the encampment. She tried to release the grip the shuv'ni had over their thoughts, but she found that lock was cast in iron. A small sob breached the silence as Kattica realized she was losing her hold. A flood of doubt washed into her mind as she found Bregus-Bäla marching inward to capture her soul!

NO!!!

She opened her eyes, breaking the trance. She pushed away the spell. A fearsome throbbing pulsed at her temple, chiming in synch with the dull ache issuing from her brow. She pulled her fingers away from the sleeping form of Bregus. She willed her shaking hand to stop, sighing in relief that she had ventured and returned.

It was over.

"You should not have come here," came a male voice whispering softly in her ear.

"Bäla!" she gasped jumping back, suddenly realizing she was not free from him. He was still there! He was beside her! He was tangible and real!

Clawing hands clenched her shoulders and arms, bruising her, mangling her, pushing her down. His face pressed into hers as his heavy breath blew hotly across her skin. Greedy eyes ran over her. It was a confusion in her mind to look upon him. Mattias, Bäla, and Anborn all at once he was. He was each of them, a figment of desire that was one with them. And Bregus too.

She cried out, knowing now full well she was captive to this. He held her down so she was laid side by side with the old woman. He smiled wickedly at her and she knew what was to come. He would take her. He would rape her thoughts as his fingers pressed down on her brow. She would be helpless to flee. Hopelessly she conceded that they would know everything. The unified Bregus would know of hers and Mattias' deception. Alas! It was over! She had failed!

A journeying thought whipped past her minds eye before she lost herself to his torment. Her dark eyes ran past his face, to the tent wall, to the resting figure beside her and lastly to the talisman still wound about the old woman's wrist. She saw it, and realized she could do one thing more. Reaching out with a hand unbounded by his, she grabbed for it, loosely fingering the pendant that showed the radiant sun. Her other hand pressed to her chest inching up to the amulet at her throat. The cool stone at her chest vibrated in her fingers, tingling and alive, and simultaneously the wooden ornament stirred with heat and fire. A spark ignited from her fingertips, and Kattica's eyes grew wide as she watched. Wafts of smoke perpetuated from the small decoration at the old woman's hand. Katticas fingertips stroked the charring remnant and she watched as the inscription of the running figure burned away. The smoldering continued, and began to carry up to the ribbon of fine hair making up the cord. And then Kattica looked away from it.

Bäla's gaze went wild and he howled. Jumping away he was gone and Kattica gasped at her release. She was free. Run now! Run! her mind screamed at her as she pushed herself upright and away. But then a new reason for fright stirred beside her as she attempted to rise.

Bregus eyes flew open and looked upon the girl. Kattica stopped, momentarily shocked and unsure of what to say. Did the old woman even realize what had happened?

Unbalanced and clumsy, Kattica could not move without drawing attention. "Sleep, Bregus, sleep. It is not time to rise," she whispered in a shaking voice, hoping it convinced enough to keep the old woman from really noticing the girl's awkward pose. The suggestive part of the drug seemed to take hold. Bregus' eyes drifted shut, and a short minute later Kattica expelled the breath she had been holding. Her body shuddered convulsively over the fear of what she had beheld. Slowly, she sat up straighter and called to her body to exit.

And then she stopped.

Cool fingers pressed to her brow. She had not seen it coming. Suddenly Bregus had her held in both mind and body. Wide eyes shined into her own. The old woman's thoughts came into Kattica's mind. It was an exchange that went on for a time uncountable. It was fleetingly quick and dully slow. Both and the same. Two parts united. The two women fought for control. Bregus prodded the girl's thoughts, tempting her with the darkness she knew and desired. But Kattica kept to her resolve. Fighting, pushing back, struggling against Bregus' hold, she felt the old woman relinquish and move away. But it was a ploy, and Kattica did not see it.

"If I shan't know your mind, I shall take your strength," she heard the old woman speak. And then a draining power coasted over her, shadowing her, like a cloud rolling over the sun. All was darkness for Kattica, and she felt her energy floating away. Lethargic apathy wound around her and her eyes rolled back. The last thing she remembered before she succumbed to the pitch was the feel of her head smacking the coverings blanketing the floor of the tent.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List