Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Hunting Trip  by Ithilien

A/N: To all fans of this story, I demand this of you: get down on your knees and thank Nilmandra for betaing this chapter. No, really! Do it! You have no idea what a mess it was when I handed it off to her *shudder*! She performed a miracle here, and I have to say, without her, I would still be sitting at my desk, beating my head in frustration. Betaing is such a small word to encompass all she did. Just count yourselves lucky you only see this side of the story, because backstage we are holding it together with popsickle sticks, bubblegum and coat wire. It is not pretty! *Throwing self at Nilmandra's feet for one last round of displaying my sheer gratitude* Thank you so much, Nilmandra!

Chapter 40: Raging Forces

With barely contained frustration, Faramir turned from his companions and watched the wending waters snake their way past the grass-curtained wall of their cave hideaway. The blades of green, made heavy with the weight of the night's rain, dragged listlessly at the water's edge, streaming trails as the river rolled past. Further out in the stream, the waters swirled about rocks, mirroring the tracings in the shallower depths but with greater force, and the meandering current they created caused the water to stir in bubbling response. Deeper still, boulders and heavy rocks cut the surface, and here the action was not so sedate. Eddies and swirling curlicues of rippling water twisted over and around these large stone guardians. Time and time again, fallen branches would float over the water's surface, carried there from places upstream, caught in the motions of transport and either sent to drift in the stiller waters near the shore, or pushed into the swirling flow at the river's depths. It was difficult to predict which way a branch might go as trajectory and weight had as much to do with its wayward path as did the river's course. Faramir played witness as a thick broken limb worried its way to the center of the river. It was spun and tossed lazily in the hidden menace of the rocks, but it continued its onward path, lightly battered but still whole. Like us all, the steward thought, as he turned his gaze back to the tired faces and worried expressions of his companions. A night's rest had been of aid to them, but it could not suppress the rising panic the group was feeling. I should have told them what happened at Henneth-Annun in a better way. I have only worsened their fears for our loved ones with my words. Since awakening, he had been forced to tell and retell all that had befallen in the night's battle. Many blanks were missing from the story, but those he could not fill. All he knew for certain was that Éowyn, Legolas and Mattias were injured, being held against their will, and that he had failed to free them.

"Sitting here is furthering us none! How much more must we wait before we may try something to rescue our friends?" Gimli growled, interrupting Faramir's contemplation. Urgency was readily apparent in the Dwarf's stern voice, if not in his frantic pacing, and Faramir turned his attention to face his friend.

"Peace, Gimli. A few minutes pause and then we will move. We are not all ready yet," the steward replied, glancing at Gordash, who had just been tended and given a restorative that Kattica had concocted. The large man reclined back, head against the cave wall with his eyes closed for a moment's rest. The wound to his belly was much improved, but was still a serious wound, and the man was clearly weakened by the great loss of blood he had suffered.

But Faramir spoke also for himself, for he did not feel ready to move with any surety quite yet.

For his part, Gimli ignored all indications of illness, not seeming to notice or care. Anxiety wore at the Dwarf's features and Faramir grimaced in response to the pelting scorn that radiated there. Had he thought on it, he could have predicted such a response from the Dwarf. Almost he regretted having told his stout companion anything of what had occurred the night before. But they needed to know, he told himself, and we do need to act, for I do not know how much time we have.

Faramir closed his eyes, tuning out the rumblings from the dwarf. He was weary, his body ached and a gash still remained across his torso though it no longer bled, but he was in far better shape than he had expected. There was no denying a miracle had transpired, or something close to it, but how he had come to this, he did not know. Faramir could remember little if anything of his arrival into their camp the night before. He had no recollection of either spell, incantation or potion being used to perform the miracle that was his and Gordash's cure, though Kattica had told him she had indeed used magic for this. He recalled Kattica meeting them, as if expecting them, when he and Gordash had found their way back to the camp. it The next thing that he remembered was finding himself in their keep, the fire burning brightly, the sound of light rain bouncing on the river's surface, and the utterance of words being spoken in Kattica's voice, but in a language Faramir could not understand. He must have drowsed for what came next could only be a dream. A kind faced old woman stood over him then, her large brown eyes showing both wisdom and compassion. And while he detected great age in them, he also had a sense of eternal youth living there. There was something familiar about her, about her stance, the way she lifted her chin, as if there were something regal in her bearing. But at the same time, Faramir was quite certain he had never seen the woman's face before. The dream ended there, for the next that he knew, Kattica was working over him, washing his wounds, humming a strange little tune as she did. And then he had awoken to the morning light and many frantic questions.

At present, he felt nothing close to being wholly well as his shaky hands reached up to smooth knotted muscles in his neck and shoulders, but he knew he must muster his strength. The lives of his friends depended on it.

He pressed a hand to his brow and rubbed at the ache that was building there. The sounds of the argument invaded his mind, and, gazing up, he turned tired eyes upon the Dwarf. The conversation was no longer directed at him, and for this Faramir was grateful. Gimlis need for action had been turned on Kattica in his attempt to understand what kind of enemy they faced. Kattica had told them about her creation of a magic circle, but Gimli, having never witnessed such a thing, did not understand that of which she spoke. Further, he could not understand why Bregus was at an advantage.

"Can you not just jinx her or put a hex on her or some such nonsense? You imply she is nigh impossible to fight, yet you managed to do just that. Why do you fear her when obviously she can be broken?"

Kattica breathed out a deep sigh then answered, "The joining of worlds comes together in the Henneth-Annün cavern. Bregus controls much of everything around her there."

"Ha! But apparently you can too! Last night you healed us," the Dwarf pointed out, scoffing while standing on a leg that had been hobbled the day before. "We are fit now, and without benefit of having a Protected Place like Bregus. Does that not prove you a powerful enough witch that you could fight her?"

"This is not a true Protected Place but I made it into something that resembled one. Still, the elements I used are depleted now and my healing powers become meager here," she stated flatly, as if that were an answer. She turned to her medicine bowl then and began to mix ingredients together.

Gimli shook his head, not understanding. "But why?" he asked in a terse voice, the sound risen in frustration.

"A true Protected Place is composed entirely of the base elements in a natural setting." Kattica's face turned to Faramir to give him an annoyed expression. He could see fatigue lining her eyes, and he realized Gimli's constant prodding tried her as well as it did him. "Earth. Wind. Fire. Water. Your Henneth-Annün has all of these elements. At least it does when the sun is properly in the sky. When that time comes and a shuv'ni is present within that cave, she or he might wield great magic. Our camp," she gestured around them, "is a mere imitation. Water laps at our feet but it does not make up the walls. Wind sweeps us on its own whim but it is not a constant breeze. Our fire is manufactured. It is not the fire of the earth or the sky that makes it fully the gods' gift. The mark of a real Protected Place has all these things naturally."

However, Faramir could sympathize with Gimli's confusion, and trying to understand the source of the power that had been in their cave as well, Faramir commented, "It rained last night. The wind was blowing. Would those not make the hold stronger?"

A twitch at Kattica's mouth told Faramir it was so. Brown eyes penetrated his. A spark of memory flashed before him. He could remember seeing her calling to the skies. He fixed his eyes on hers, and they told him this truth. Kattica had indeed used these elements to her benefit. Perhaps she had even created them, though he could not fathom her doing such a thing. Yet she seemed hesitant to speak on it, her eyes warning him. As he watched her answer, she seemed to be indicating her fears. Her eyes kept darting to Gordash and her answers remained humble.

"They were temporary. Gifts of nature. They were given and I used them to heal your injuries." She nodded at the bandages she had used to wrap Faramir's waist.

Faramir's face blushed crimson as he gazed at the dressings. At the moment he was glad there were not more eyes to witness his humiliation, but he decided it might do to lighten her mood, and so he teased, "Pah! You used them to further your feminine ambitions. Gifts, you say. I look as a pretty package all decorated for the giving."

"Be glad you yet breathe and never mind the dressing," Kattica admonished with the first hint of a smile he had yet seen this day.

Gimli gave a small snort then, overhearing this bit of lightened amusement, but the mock-scathing look Faramir gave in answer cut the Dwarf short. Gimli blushed when he realized Faramirs eyes had settled on his own bandages, and with a huff indicating the joke was not taken, he resumed his pacing. Faramir inwardly laughed though. Take that! he thought affectionately, gaining relief from this briefest of light moments as a smile flickered on his face. When it came to their bindings, his diminutive friend had little ground on which to stand. In fact, Faramir thought, with the thickness of the bandage wrapped around the Dwarf's leg, he stands not on ground at all, but cloth. Yards and yards of cloth by Faramir's estimation, and all of it cast in a loud shade of red. Apparently it was an offering from an earlier underskirt sacrificed on Kattica's part. Faramir, upon seeing it, had nearly laughed at what he came to term in his mind as 'Gimli's Red Boot.' He suspected the Dwarf had every right to snort at Faramir in return.

"You will concede at least that I look as a target," the steward continued his complaint, using it to urge Kattica into a larger smile in answer to his empty gripes. His ploy failed.

"You would be a target were you to go after Bregus regardless of how your wounds are bound," Kattica retorted, her voice growing grim. She turned then and handed him the cup, and he could see tears pooled in her eyes. The moment of quiet laughter was again chased away.

Faramir did not wait to hear her command to drink, for he had heard her insistence when she had given the order to Gordash earlier. Looking at the large man, who seemed better for having ingested it, Faramir decided this too was a part of his healing. He grimaced as he smelled the concoction, and then nearly gagged as he drank down what tasted like a combination of thick, muddy water and grass, and was nearly the same consistency.

"You shall eat this as well," Kattica instructed, tears now streaming down her face, stepping up and offering Gimli a skewered piece of fish, then one to Faramir. She hesitated before stopping next to Gordash, then sighed heavily and nudged him awake.

Despite her tearful moments and somewhat obvious prejudicial feelings toward her brother-in-law, Faramir had to admit his admiration for this girl. Ailing as they had all been, she had taken it upon herself to accomplish much in one night. Somehow, beyond the magic performed, she had managed to net, clean and cook a handful of fish in addition to tending their wounds and stocking the fire. Such accomplishments were ill-proportioned to her physical bearing. Mythological in fact. Faramir smiled to himself. To accomplish this much, he mused, she could be none other than Marius Suenor. Thinking this, he felt a fanfare of trumpets might play in her tribute. But he brushed that thought aside for that infamous female character of lore, Marius Suenor, infiltrated inane tales of little imagination. Usually given over to youthful storytelling sessions among adolescent girls, Faramir rarely let such stories gain his attention. Yet he had heard of this creation of a superior female heroine. He supposed the girls who partook of such nonsense could empathize with Marius Suenor's character, but Faramir found her trite, and endlessly predictable. No one could be as gifted as that character in reality. Still, he could not help looking at Kattica with appreciative eyes placing her in a Marius Suenor role.Nay, she was not that, for her flaws were as apparent as were her talents. Still, she moved with vigor and he could not help being amazed that she could have accomplished so much with so little.

He pushed these playful thoughts aside and turned his focus upon himself. He suddenly realized that he was feeling better if he were making mental jests. The fish seemed suddenly appealing, and Faramir began to feed on the steaming flesh. It was a tasty feast, and he devoured it quickly, realizing he had little to eat the day before and it was only right that he should find his appetite again. Almost immediately he found renewed strength. Whether it was brought on by the meager meal, or the ministration that had been tended him, Faramir could not say. He just knew he was better for them.

But Gimli stared down at the offering he had been given as if he had never seen the likes of food before. He shook his head lightly. "I am not hungry,"

Kattica seemed to take this as an affront, and Faramir reminded himself that they all suffered under the strain of their worries. She spoke almost as if through gritted teeth.

"You have suffered injury and serious trauma in the day since last, and you must replenish your strength if you are to do ought for your friends."

Gimli sighed. "It might give me strength I suppose," he answered begrudgingly. He fidgeted, poking at the food with his knife before setting it aside and looking hampered again by his desperation to move. It did not take long before eagerness made him pace again. At any moment Faramir expected the Dwarf to begin prodding them with urgings for movement. As if on cue, the Dwarf spoke.

"What if we were to launch a surprise attack?" Gimlis eyes brightened and he exclaimed this as if he had heard none of what had been said only moments before, "I can work a knife, Faramir. The odds are in our favor. By my count, their number is down by two at least. Besides," the Dwarf went on directing his thoughts toward Faramir and not noticing Kattica's discomfiture for the dismissal of her husband in his numbering, "surely they suffer damages as a result of last night."

Such were not the words to calm any of them, least of all Kattica. A grunt escaped her, and she threw her hands up in the air.

"Nay, Master Dwarf," she said with barely suppressed rage, "Our chances grow only worse! Such a plan would be folly! Do you not see? Bregus is in the Protected Place where her powers only grow stronger! Likely none of my people are injured, and likelier still they are hale! Her control will be heightened and they shall be more willing to do battle for her than ever before! Do not underestimate her!"

With that her eyes glanced to Gordash as if to read his reaction to her words, daring him to speak. Faramir looked that way as well, but he saw nothing suspicious in the man, who merely blinked in surprise at the outburst.

There was nothing of a soothing calm in these charges however, and Faramir felt the Dwarf's ire burning as fiercely as Kattica's.

"Yet we cannot idly sit by. At least an attack now would be unexpected!" Gimli exploded.

"Unexpected by you, perhaps!" Kattica answered in a cold voice, her eyes focused entirely on Gordash as she spoke, nostrils flaring. Faramir could see her anger rising, and felt the dread of her argument before it was spoken. "But for Bregus it would verily be expected, would it not, Gordash?"

Gordash, shame-faced, looked away. "I am sorry. But I --" he whispered.

"You are sorry? Not nearly enough, I should think!" Kattica cried. "Not enough when your brother is sacrificed to her cause! Not enough when you aid her in resurrecting a ghost as our leader! Not enough when innocents are harmed or killed in your longing to comply. You brought this upon us! You!" Her cries echoed around them and the man blinked his guilty conscience with each accusation.

"Kattica, Cease this!" Faramir snapped, his voice sounding out his own rage. "We are getting nowhere and time races on!"

She then turned on Faramir. "And you! Why did you bring him here? What foolishness directed you? Can you not see he should be left behind? He is Bregus' agent and he will give us away!" the girl cried, rage spitting the words at him.

Had he considered it, Faramir knew he might have predicted this outburst from Kattica as much as he had expected the one from Gimli. He retorted with equal vehemence. "And you healed him despite knowing what you do of him! Do not blame me that I felt compassion when you apparently felt likewise!" he accused in return.

"Please, do not--" the large man cut in but Kattica interrupted.

"I did what I must as a shuv'ni! But Gordash is not the same! His crimes have been cruel! He is not an innocent accomplice!"

Faramir advanced on her, speaking harshly. "And you are?"

Dead silence followed.

Faramir felt nausea twist his stomach. He knew well the cruelty of his words. He watched the young woman's face collapse, her eyes widening as she swallowed reflexively. It was a low blow, but it was delivered in the intentions of helping her regain herself. Faramir's guilt lashed at him, but he told himself it was the right thing to do. Her apprehensions were getting the better of her, and like Gimli she was nearly hysterical with her fright. He felt dreadful for the words, yet Faramir had to remind her that she was not beyond the crimes that she pinned upon her husband's brother

"I--" she began, nearly choking.

"You are not above him, Kattica," he said.

A vanquished sob was relinquished from her throat, and Faramir caught her as her legs collapsed beneath her. He pulled her up, hugging her into him, hot breath beating on his chest as she sobbed in anguish. He said in a soft voice, "He is trying to break from her. Would you hold it against him for trying?"

She shook her head, crying into his chest. "Mattias . . . "

She did not finish the thought, but Faramir knew what she might say had she continued. He felt equal in his anxieties, his regrets and his terror. Éowyn, he thought, yea that I might hold you again. Wistfully, he thought of his wife's golden tendrils of hair and her graceful figure as he held the crying girl. He found solace in the tears.

Several minutes passed in silence, but they were broken when the Romany man took it upon himself to speak. He looked hesitant to vocalize his thoughts, but after a moment of pondering he did.

"Kattica is right to doubt me," he slowly rumbled.

Protests gathered on Faramir's lips but he did not speak them, choosing instead to let the Romany say what he would.

"I told you last night I know not my own thoughts. She is correct. I still cannot say I am true. This however I can tell you. Should you fight my people, I shall not. Should you march to the soldiers camp, I will march with you and surrender myself. Should you wish to be rid of me, I would walk away and be gone. It is all I can do to show my aid. But whatever you decide, I think it would be best if I were not present as you discussed it." And with that, he stood and walked away from their cave, strolling upstream to a place that was out of earshot but within their eyesight.

Red rimmed, Kattica's eyes followed him, eyelashes sticking in star points. "That was . . . noble. I should not have . . . " she said with shame, never completing the thought as she looked down. Faramir felt a laugh spill out of him.

"You had every right to doubt him," Faramir corrected her with soft words, feeling a bit of mirth for the flip-flop her guilt put upon her. And then finding a little more of his strength, he released her and stood erect. "Thanks to your outburst and his given nobility, we might now speak freely." Growing suddenly serious, he said, "We need a plan, and we have made little of one so far. What say you, Gimli?"

Throughout the lament, Gimli had seemed locked in his own remorse. As he gazed up, dark eyes showed his hurt. "Would that Aragorn were here," he sadly muttered.

It was like the burst of a bubble. Mirth depleted in full and the steward's face sagged into a frown. The Dwarf's eyes dipped in misery. Would that he were, Faramir thought, and for not the first time, he considered Aragorn and worried for his condition. So too for Arwen. But, he realized, such thoughts could also stir up hope, and Faramir turned the sad tidings into ones of possible encouragement. "And were he here, what might he do?" Faramir asked the Dwarf.

"He might have chosen a less emotional course than we would, surely," the Dwarf chuckled.

The laughter, though woeful, was a nice music in the steward's ears, and he wondered when or if they might ever truly feel happiness again. But what Gimli said had merit.

"Then let us think on our choices and decide what might best serve us," Faramir offered. "There are the soldiers."

"They would give us strength in numbers that we do not currently have," Gimli conceded.

"But enough to overtake Bregus?" Faramir asked, knowing the number of soldiers as compared to Romany.

"They use women and children in their ranks," Gimli scoffed. "That is no contest."

"Do not underestimate what those women and children might do, Master Dwarf," Kattica answered. "They will make you wary to strike, while they will show no hesitation in striking you."

"Granted," Faramir nodded. "Despite the soldiers, their number is greater. Should we send then to the Elven colony for aid?"

Antagonism emoted from Gimli with this comment. "Thus sacrificing more Elves to the witch's cause? I think not," he murmured.

Faramir huffed on the words. His frayed emotions had too reached a near end. Bringing harm to others was the last thing he wanted at that moment and Gimli's gripes were only flagging his energies. His head pounded yet again as he considered this. He was seeking help. That the Dwarf could not see this. . . "A simple aye or nay would suffice, Master Dwarf," he responded in clipped words. Any ease between them seemed to pass. Tension returned. Etched lines of worry reached the steward's brow as the mounting impatience met him in the Dwarf's stiff figure. Faramir's own worries were enough to set the prince on a path of dark misery. Anger ventured forth in his words, and he barely restrained the lashing he wished to deliver. "What would you have then?"

Gimli answered in a far calmer voice than Faramir used, though he was terse in his reply. "I would have us work to find a way that would breech their hold and rescue our loved ones. You speak of means of might, but what else do we have in our favor?"

"Obtaining the soldiers' help seems a fair bit of advantage!" Faramir countered, realizing too late as he said this that the animosity that was brewing between them was coming from himself.

"You give up on our skills too easily, Faramir! You would use might to force our way in when that might do even greater harm to our friends! Have you not considered that the witch might kill them if she cannot reach her goal? If we attack and break through, what will she do next? Have you even begun to ask these questions?" Gimli lashed back.

Silence fell between them as the echo of their voices faded away and the sounds of the raging river filled the emptiness.

But it was not the sudden temper unleashed that made Faramir pause, for he felt he might choke on the silence. Gimlis accusations resounded in his brain, and Faramir noted each one. Indeed he had considered them, but not with any surety of thought. He leaned back, feeling weak again, his head pounding as he searched for answers.

Kattica looked away as he turned his gaze to her. She sighed, silently stroking her belly as if in contemplation of these thoughts herself. No answers would be given in studying her, and Faramir turned his eyes to the river, still too shocked to react.

He watched the muddy water as his mind went over the words. Of course the witch would kill the ones she held. She may well kill everyone in that cave if she could not succeed. A mass homicide was not beyond her doing, especially in knowing she had few qualms about killing even her own kin. Gimli was right, though such an admission stung Faramir's ego. Venturing far into the twisted mind of Bregus' was painful, and he was resistant to do so. Bregus was a mystery to him and, truthfully, he feared her. He could not forget what torment she had rained upon him simply with a touch and for little cause that he could discern. She was cruel and quite selfish, and the combination of those two qualities could lead her to do most anything.

Faramir knew that Bregus had fears though too. They needed to consider anything that might break her, although he would relish a plan that would avoid a face-to-face confrontation. Yet he also knew this was likely not going to happen, and Gimli was probably correct. Such a sickening madness would have to be met head-on. Faramir's head pounded with his fears. He could not predict the response a direct assault might bring. All he could think was that he needed to get his loved ones free of her. His knowledge of their cave was for naught in devising any other means of offense. Force seemed to be their only option.

His voice sounded in surrender when at last he spoke. He felt spent for ideas that might aid their progress. "What is it that makes you change, Gimli? But a minute ago you wished us to attack without thinking. And now . . . " he sighed, shrugging miserably, not knowing what else he could say.

The Dwarf blinked and looked away, as if he too had decided he would not partake in further vehemence. Almost as if surrendering something, he said, "I have not given up on the fight. But perhaps I am not so convinced Henneth-Annün is as impervious as you would have it, Faramir. There must be a way to get in that the witch will not have considered."

There was gravity yet in the Dwarf's voice, but Faramir could tell he was trying to find common ground on which they both might stand.

Softened as they were, Faramir considered the words, but his anger was not stilled. He knew everything there was to know about Henneth-Annün, and the Dwarf's insistence that there was another means of entry was slighting the wisdom he had already given. "You think there is another way to enter?" he asked, not guessing what the Dwarf wanted. His voice was still angry but at least he kept it at a quieter volume.

"I think there are means we are not exploring," the Dwarf answered more sedately, his eyes daring to look then to Kattica.

Faramir was perplexed. Another means? He could not understand what Gimli might be indicating. He furrowed his brow, fighting off a wave of lightheadedness, sinking to sit on the stone behind him in answer. He took a deep breath in order to rid himself of the tension that had burned itself into anger. He recognized his own fright, and he wished to rid himself of it. He was eager to come to a plan, and he supposed Gimli was vying for the same. Perhaps the Dwarf was right and there was more to consider than just physical might in taking on this force. Releasing his held breath, he said in a voice that was uttered in a far calmer tone than any prior words, "You obviously have a query. Ask it please. I cannot guess your meaning, and I weary of trying."

The Dwarf met Kattica's eyes. "The question remains. What shall we do to free our friends?" he asked solemnly.

Faramir rose again, this time on better ground. He glanced about them, looking for answers. The comment was well-intended. What should they do? There was no doubt the soldiers would be of aid, but what else might there be that could be of aid to them. They needed a plan. "We will enlist the soldiers' skills in the battle. It is not that far to journey and we are not so injured that we shall be hindered by the difficulty. We should reach them in but short time. Once there we will have access to our horses and can make the return trip in half the time or less. But I would want to know more of what we might face with Bregus before we make that assault."

He looked at Kattica then, and she stood taller, as if realizing only she could give them what they needed. They seemed to be asking it of her and she nodded her acquiescence.

Faramir spoke. "You implied that Henneth-Annün is not always true as a Protected Place. The elements are not entirely natural to the environment."

"They are not native at all given times," Kattica corrected quietly. "But at sunset the place is true."

"Yet in the day. . . ?" Faramir asked, leaving off to give Kattica the opening to complete the thought.

"It is a manufactured safe hold. Bregus must use a camp fire to give herself the strength to use it, just as I used one to complete our circle of elements last night," she answered unemotionally.

Faramir's voice was low. "Still, as a result of the elements that are present, the witch's powers are stronger than they might be otherwise?"

"Yes. Even with the fire her space is stronger than ours because we no longer have the rain and wind to contain us."

"But she is currently not so strong as she would be when the site is true, at sunset?" he asked, pausing before speaking the last phrase.

"Correct."

"And when you made our camp a Protected Place, it was as strong as you could make it too?" Gimli asked this.

The question seemed redundant, but Faramir perceived the Dwarf was coming to the same conclusions that he was.

"Yes."

Faramir grappled with his thoughts. Urgency suddenly was a keening wail in his mind and he could see a solution, or at least some possibility of a solution. Foregoing all others, he leapt ahead with the question he truly wished to know. "What could have broken it?"

Kattica turned her gaze on Faramir, giving him a querying look. "What do you mean?"

Faramir clarified the question by rephrasing it. "What could have wrestled the power you held away from you?"

Kattica frowned, and then the twisted expression softened and the light of realization came over her face as she looked up to meet his eyes. She opened her mouth to speak, but just as she did so, a cry came from beyond their cave.

"What is that?" Gordash exclaimed, pointing to the river and running up to meet them.

Gimli stepped ahead, taking several steps down the path to follow the progress of something in the water. It was racing past. "Is that --?" the Dwarf began.

Faramir caught the sight. "Arwen!" he answered for the Dwarf, gasping in startled breath as he saw her pulled in the stream.

"And she is being dragged on a tether. Aragorn is in her lead!"

Faramir gulped back his shock and immediately sprang into the chase. Gimli was at his side. For someone so small in stature, especially considering the Dwarf had a cast leg, Gimli was moving with great speed.

The water raged about the couple, and all Faramir could really make out was the bobbing heads being tossed up and down, in and out of the growing waves of water.

"They are being pulled into the harsher current!" Faramir heard Gimli yell and he looked ahead only to see the waters divide and the pair being pulled down the more treacherous route.

"Faramir, to me!" the Dwarf commanded, and the steward immediately responded, looking up and leaping as Gimli was now doing over rocks and boulders that jutted from the water's surface. They formed a crossing of sorts. They would be dashed into the rapids if they fell, but Faramir ignored the danger.

He glanced over his shoulder to see Gordash and Kattica remaining on the shore and he waved to them to continue moving downstream.

Turning back, he saw the Dwarf was already across. One last hurtling jump brought Faramir to the narrow shoals on the opposite shore. The Dwarf had not waited. Gimli was closing in on the submerged forms and screaming back at Faramir to follow. "This way! This way!"

Wading into the river, climbing again onto the rock littered floor, Faramir noted the natural agility in the Dwarf's movements over the stone. It reminded the steward of Legolas' skills in the trees. He saw little effort was needed for Gimli to find his way, though Faramir felt more than a little off balance.

The terrain bounding the river was greatly changed since the last time Faramir had surveyed there. He had once known this land well, but it had been a few years since he had last seen it, and he came to see why Legolas and the Elves were so proud of their accomplishments. Much had changed from those dark times, and even the river seemed to reflect the cleansing strength the Elves had brought with them. Faramir knew the shore to be narrow on this side of the river, and he knew Gimli chose the right route, crossing over it on the shallowest end, yet Faramir was little prepared for what he saw ahead some few hundred yards on the river's course.

The sound gave it away as much as the sight.

"They are being pulled to where the new falls drop off!" Gimli cried out.

Legolas had referred to this place as the New Falls, as if waterfalls had never before existed, but Faramir knew that to be not entirely true. The direction of Aragorn and Arwen's journey led directly into the path of the runoff from a waterfall Faramir had long known. Since boyhood, he and Boromir had come here to play whenever they were given the chance. But in the days of his youth, the falls had been small trickles of water raining down from a series of streams on the higher elevations of the cliffs. The sandy basins had served as small wading pools to the two brothers, their teasing and playfulness making it a quiet sojourn of boyish pleasure. Yet now, it looked nothing like the timid cascade of the steward's youth. The falls had massed and swelled to great magnitude, powerful and brutal, and the tumult of water that poured from them was not something that one might wrestle and tumble within.

The brown water of the rain-swollen river slid over boulders no longer visible; the merging waters joined together to form a wide swell. Great ruts formed in the white-capped waters, places Faramir guessed to be whirlpools strong enough to drag a man under. And those treacherous rocks were just where Aragorn and Arwen were headed.

The pair tumbled and turned through the roiling water, fortune passing them through this field without being pulled under. Faramir gasped as he watched, leaping rock to rock in his attempt to catch them before their luck ran out. They fell away from his sight as another dip plunged them beneath the surface momentarily, and his heart dove again with fear.

Even the Dwarf had shown no signs of catching them. But fate must have been on their side that day, for Gimli's voice rang over the whirling screams of the river's rushing waves. "They are caught on the rocks! Hurry! Hurry that we might reach them yet!" the Dwarf cried and he was already scrambling down one of the outcroppings that made a short platform before merging the waters once more.

The cascades were near their end, and the two rivers formed into one mass. Ahead the water slid over one more stepped point before settling to its depths and narrowing into the silent river that eventually led to Henneth-Annün. The outcropping of rocks seemed a dumping point here, as if the strength of the water were physically spent. It snagged the couple, no doubt giving them both a jolting shock as they slammed to an abrupt end. The pressure alone might have done terrible harm.

Faramir gained on the scene, practically sliding as he descended the stacked stones that gave him access to where the last step dropped off. Rock upon rock lined the way, and again the water raged past. Yet somehow the pair had split apart and had ventured to opposite sides of the rocky base. Arwen was pale in the splashing water, her face in a horrid grimace, though she resiliently remained aware. Faramir could not imagine how she had survived to this point, but she was alive and struggling, pulling on the rope that mercifully was not twisted about her. Despite all, she pulled on the cord tethering her, trying to swing herself into a position where she might gain a foothold and haul herself up. But the rope was a counter pulley to her actions, and every inch she gained might mean Aragorn's end slipped further.

Luck prevailed. The rope somehow had zigzagged between rocks, the effect being to entangle Aragorn's line rather than letting him find the full power of the river's pull on him. Each turn had become a sort of buffer to the strength of the water's tug. The result was a near miracle, and at the rope's end Aragorn was saved from being pulled over the falls by the shortened cord. And while the drop was not so great, the rocks below surely could deliver a deadly blow.

Faramirs relief was cut short, however, when he suddenly realized that injury had been sustained. Aragorn was face up in the raging waters, waves pouring over his still form, but Faramir gasped even still.

Aragorn was unconscious.

Faramir hastened past the dwarf even as his swift glance took in the scene before him. Gimli had reached the boulder off of which Arwen was snarled. From the corner of his eye, he could see Gordash had deserted his post on the western shore and was making his way across the river much as Faramir had. He heard a voice cry out to him, and realized it was Arwen.

"He is tangled! He will drown! Pull him up! Pull him up!"

Faramir did not slow as he barreled past, his mind completely centered on his king. In three more jumps he was at the furthest most reach before the falls, and he could see Aragorn bobbing in the water just ahead. He could make out the ashen complexion and the sealed eyes and his mind screamed, Too late! I have come too late! Still he would not give up such a quest, and he put his hands to the rope and pulled but there was little give as the current tugged the king with it. Faramir felt a momentary panic that he would not succeed, when suddenly Gordash was there, adding his strength to the rope despite being already winded from the exertion of the run.

"Pull! Pull!" Faramir yelled.

Inch by slow inch they dragged Aragorn closer. Faramir gasped as the small motions dragged his friend under, though that seemed to revive the king. Aragorn flailed, eyes coming wide in the surprise of near drowning, and Faramir reached out to grasp a wildly grappling hand.

"Hold on to me!" he cried. The jerking force on his arm was severe, but he would not relinquish his grip despite being pushed into a leaning crouch. It was an awkward position but it had advantage in that, if he could get Aragorn's weight far enough back, he might put leverage on his knees and haul his friend from the water.

"Pull!" he screamed again and he and Gordash strained with a mighty groan. As if the river had vanquished its hold, Aragorn was wrenched free and the drenched figure suddenly was in Faramir's arms as he sprawled backwards onto the vast rock.

With a sideways glance, Faramir checked to see Gimli's progress, his task the same though the effort had been lessened. There too, Arwen was safe, collapsed in the Dwarf's arms as he pulled her to safe ground. She gasped deeply of air, and Faramir watched her eyelids flutter as she dropped her head against Gimli's shoulder.

Then collapsing himself, Faramir shut his eyes, breathing a great sigh of relief. He, Gordash and Aragorn made a ragged pile of bodies on the rocks, but Faramir's mind only registered one thought: They are alive.

A/N: Oh, I like this happy little abode, don't you? I will still post at fanfiction.net, but this is going to be my permanent residence once I get all my stuff moved in. It may look like it would fit in a van, but I really need to get a bigger truck to haul it all. Soon the rest of my stories will be up here as well.

Features of this site to point out as I go, just in case any of you were scoping out the neighborhood: No irritating pop-up ads to accidentally click on; no breakdowns on the server every other day; stats indicating story and chapter hits free of charge to the authors; favorites lists so readers can follow links to the authors' favorite stories (note to self: compile list of favorites asap); and site managers who are responsive, friendly, and don't change the rules on the turn of a dime. Just thought you might want to know some of the reasons I am here.

Now, on to Reviewer Responses (because I know you love getting them as much as I like getting your reviews).

CartDi - Looks like you had some catching up to do. I'm glad you had fun in the doing. Disturbing? Yes, Bregus and Curtik are that. Keep reading. It will all be over fairly soon.

Daw the minstrel - My take on Legolas' sea-longing is probably more intense than Tolkien had meant it to be, but it fits into my canon (see Torn Between Two Worlds for the ultimate on sea-longing pain). As for Aragorn and Arwen, you can celebrate. They are out! Yippeee!!!!

Elfling - Yessirree, you would not be the first to complain that updates do not come often enough, but I try. I really do. I'm glad you liked the dream sequence. I did to, and it seemed the best way to tell what happened to Mattias while also sating the desires of all those Elf fanciers who wanted to know what was happening to their Legolas.

Elvenesse - Well there you go, because you asked, voila, they are out. You have to admit, it was a good way to get out. I couldn't have them just walk out of the cave. Not when it took so much to get them in.

Fliewatuet - More please! Yes, that's meant for you. When oh when will you have a new chapter up? I've updated. . . see! You are so very close on what you think happened to Aragorn and Arwen, and I will fill in the blanks with the next chapter. Maybe I'll make you wait though, just like you are making me wait (yes, that is blackmail).

JastaElf - Sorry, daw beat you to it. But thanks for trying. I have a nice little consolation prize I popped in the mail for you. I loved Legolas' torment, but writing Arwen's frantic escape was even more exhilarating. I'm so glad you are enjoying this and that you think the master would be too. Your opinion has a lot of muster for me.

Jedimasterteo - Thanks for following me! I'm glad you are liking Arwen. There are parts of me in her (Éowyn and Kattica too), so it has really been a joy to see her finding herself. I'm wondering what your brother thinks of Gimli after this chapter. Feisty, irrepressible, lovable Dwarf. That's my take. Wait until he sees Legolas.

Lamiel - And I would do the same for you. I'm having fun with Aragorn and Arwen and I'm glad you are enjoying it too. We'll get a smattering more of that playfulness in the next chapter before the final climax comes. But hey, your ideas for "The Release" were so good, I was wondering if you wouldn't want to help me with a short slash fic I have in mind. Think about it. Courage!

Le Rouret - I almost did write myself into a corner, but not in the way you are thinking. Nah, the characters will live. See! Poof! It's magic! I'm glad you like Arda. It's what I've been looking for for a long time now. I can't wait to see your story. Good luck to you, and here's the chapter you requested.

LOTR Fath - I love to see Aragorn and Arwen learning from each other. They do make a dynamic duo when they work together. But Legolas? Yeah, I know, I've beat him pretty bad. Why you ask? Because I'm sick and twisted and because I can, and people keep coming back for more. That's why.

Luinthien - Let the butt-kicking commence. I'm glad you liked the surreal atmosphere of Legolas' view on the world. That section was both fun to write and difficult. How do you say delirious without saying delirious?

Mercredi - A signal wouldn't have helped. I'll explain why in the next chapter. Aragorn's good instincts took over, and fortunately, that was enough. Gosh, I'm glad you liked Legolas' dream. It was rather nightmarish, wasn't it? But the realism in it was what I was shooting for. Glad it worked.

Mirwen Tindomerel - You'll forgive me if I leave of all the accents in your name. I'm too tired to remember the keystrokes for them. Well, thank you for following me, and thanks for all the praise, but I'm feeling like a bad influence here. If your dad has taken away your internet privileges, should I be encouraging you to read my story? Hmm, I think you need to take this up with him.

Mymiriel - Thank you, but the invitation is open. Critique away. But please, no more bunnies. I have too many of them of my own.

Nikara - Here it is. More. And soon, or at least as soon as I could get it completed. I've told you as much in this chapter as I can, but solutions are going to be coming fast. Thanks for reviewing!

Nilmandra - I've nominated you for beta of the year you know. Thank you again. LOL! Filthy people making babies . . . isn't that how everyone does it? It was sort of a goal for them. Hey, you have to grab the opportunities while you can, and some people really find mud, total darkness and hours and hours of screaming matches a complete turn-on. But no, I can't leave it there. Even you will never cure me of the cliffhanger. I will always, always, always adore them, and people will just have to learn to suffer through them with me.

None - Aragorn gets some attention in the next couple of chapters, though from here on it is everyone's mess coming together at once. Actually, he really gets to shine like the hero we know him to be. Thanks for following along. We're nearly there.

*~SuGaR~* - Sorry about the detour. But glad you found your way through. Rjppled eh? Hmm. But I thought that was in my Websters. Phooey. I hate typos. Write as much as you like. Your reviews make me chuckle.

Surreal 13 - Ah, but I do feel bad to lose you. And I am trying to get this done! You will note please that this story is categorized as Horror/Drama, not Horror/Action Adventure. Angst is the centerpiece here, not slash 'em up battle scenes. And emotions take a bit more to build. Besides, I'm still on schedule to end this puppy in but a few more chapters. You've hung in with me this long. I'm bummed you won't see it through all the way.

Tapetum Lucidum - I'm sorry. I'm hoping my dragging you here will be worth it. Ah, but you know Bregus. She's not one to let a good form of torment go to waste. I promise to be kind though. And ah, you fell into the confusion nicely. It was hard to decide how much to tell and how much not to. You got to the point though, and that was my goal. Picking on Aragorn of the movie is exactly my intent with the comments on his fingers. Sheesh man! You live among elves! Wash your hands once in a while!

Thundera Tiger - I'm so glad you landed safe and sound. I was stuck in the big blackout, and though I got electricity back within 24 hours, my internet service was on the fritz for days. I can empathize. You are so right about the sequence of events. Here is the outcome of Gimli being delivered the news about Legolas. Not pretty. I have some touching moments to come for those two when they finally do meet up again. But hey, you know you are torturing me, making me wait for my favorite story to be updated. I guess this is as good a place as any to beg for an update of "Fear No Darkness". Please?!

Tiger Lily 713 - Then you guessed it. But have you figured out why Arwen was pulled back in? I'm glad you are enjoying the story. Now please hold on tight, it's going to get very bumpy.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List