Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Very Warm Yule  by PIppinfan1988

“Are we all here?” asked Thain Paladin II, pride swelling his heart at having such a large family present at his private Yule dinner.  Intimate family dinners on Yule 1 were tradition at Great Smials.  His lovely wife, all of his beautiful daughters and their families were gathered round his table, and certainly not least of all, Pippin, his son and heir.  Having Come of Age earlier this year, Pippin officially sat to his right.  Merry, his nephew, sat to Pippin’s right.  Merry was a very special guest this year, representing his own father, the Master of Buckland.  Yet... someone was missing.  At ninety years old, Paladin’s bones were stiff and his head of dark curls were now fully grey with age, but he assuredly was not addled.

“Where is Degger?” he asked aloud.

“Pearl and I last saw him this morning,” Pimpernel answered. “He said he had an errand to run in town.”

“That was just after elevensies, Father,” Pearl added to affirm her sister’s report.

“I have yet to see Degger,” said Merry.  Noting his younger cousin, sitting beside him, was being extraordinarily quiet.  “Pip?”

Pippin tightened his lips, but realised all eyes were now on him.  “I saw him over an hour ago.  He left something at his office and had to return to fetch it.”

“Had to?  By himself?” Paladin asked dubiously.  “Son, you’ve seen the weather outside, didn’t you stop him?”

“I tried to, Father, but he was determined.”

Paladin rubbed his temples in frustration.  His heir was now 33 years old – could it be that his former tween behaviour had followed him into adulthood?  The grandchildren began to squirm in their seats, eager to taste the delectable holiday fare they had waited all day to eat.  “Everyone, please begin the meal.” 

Paladin’s customary Yule Wish to his family was tangled for a moment inside his head while distraction attempted to take over his reasoning.  The gradual hum of many conversations around the table aided the elder hobbit to capture one thought.  Paladin knew exactly what should be done and as soon as possible, but perhaps this incident could be used as a lesson to help prepare his son to become head of their family, as that day was not so far off now.  He turned to Pippin.

“What will you do?” he asked Pippin.

Pippin was taken aback at his father’s sudden question at the dinner table, but only for a second.  His time in Minas Tirith had honed his own reasoning skills to a higher level.  “I shall...,” he began, and then rose from his seat.  Going to the dining room window, Pippin could see that the snow had returned with a vengeance.  He saw snow rising in drifts across the gardens and fields in the distance.  His heart sank to his toes. 

Pippin returned to his chair, though he did not sit down.  “I will go at once, Father.”

“To town -- alone?” asked Paladin.  “I think not.”

“It isn’t a far ride to Tuckborough.  Degger should have returned by now, or at least to the stables,” said Merry, “and then he would have sent word to us directly.” 

Although he had been silent, Merry had been following the “lesson” his uncle aimed at his cousin.  His own father would often do the same to him in preparation to be Master of the Hall.

“I am the one who let him go,” Pippin said earnestly, “and thus I must be the one to find him.”

“You mustn’t go alone,” said Merry.  He quietly whispered in Estella’s ear, and then rose from his seat to join his cousin.

The conversation had piqued the ears of a few others around the table.  Merimas spoke softly to his wife, Pervinca, and then stood beside his cousin.  “I agree with Merry,” he said.

Pippin gave a nod to the pair.  He turned to his father, using the poise he had attained while in Gondor.  “The three of us shall go to the stables first, and then if he isn’t found there, we shall follow the main road to town until we find Degger.”

The trepidation Paladin felt for his son just a few minutes ago was gone.  With a firm nod, he assented to his son’s plan.  “Have a care whilst you go,” he said, addressing all three.  “I don’t want to answer to your father, Merry.”

Merry had a wry grin as he replied, “You won’t have to.”

As Pippin passed by, Paladin gently took his son’s arm, speaking only to him. “You’re doing the right thing, Pip, as I knew you would.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List