Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Love of a Lord  by WendWriter

The days of the Yule festival passed quickly in Rivendell. The snowfall and the short days kept most people indoors enjoying companionship, warmth and the food that had been gathered and stored during the harvest. Only the warriors charged with the protection of the realm were abroad, and they were regularly relieved so that all of them had the opportunity to enjoy the festivities of the season.


Most Elves enjoyed the season, not just because of the festivities, but because it was an opportunity to cast off the inhibitions of status and custom, particularly during the day. Snowball fights were a regular occurrence, and even the most staid and venerable Elves were known to join in from time to time.


Elrond and Celebrían laughed as they and their sons, Elladan and Elrohir, engaged in combat with Glorfindel, Maerdess, Erestor and Losgael. Lothwen, the boys' nurse, had declared neutrality, but had been known to take sides from time to time. She sat on a chair on the balcony, and surveyed the scene with an amused expression on her face.


“Let us build a wall like we did the last time, Ada,” Elladan suggested, looking eagerly at his father.


“A good plan, and it did indeed work well the last time,” Elrond agreed, “but what does a good captain do before launching an attack on the enemy?”


“He sends out scouts to see where the enemy are and what they are doing,” said Elrohir, and prepared to rush off, his small face aglow with excitement.


“But we know where the enemy is already, do we not?” asked Celebrían, raising an eyebrow at her husband. She started to pile up snow to make a defensive wall, aided by Elrond.


Elrond grinned back. “Indeed,” he replied, “but what else does a captain do?”


“He makes a plan of attack and does not simply rush in,” replied Elladan, his little face frowning in concentration as he assisted his mother.


“He gathers all the weapons he will use in the battle,” Elrohir chimed in, and moved back towards his parents and added to the wall.


Elrond crouched low, facing his sons. “What else does he do?” he asked in a low whisper.


“He gives orders to his soldiers,” said Elrohir with confidence.


“He makes sure all is ready before he attacks,” Elladan added, adjusting his hat.


“Do you think we have enough snowballs?” Elrond asked.


A volley of cold missiles hit the ground around them, but the boys, grinning with excitement, waited for their father to give the order to return fire.


Elrond waited for a second volley, then said, “We do now. How kind of them to have supplied us so well! Return fire!”


His family snatched up the snowballs and hurled them at will at the 'enemy,' aiming carefully if a head showed itself above the snowy parapets on the other side of the 'battlefield.' Adults and children alike laughed and threw the snowballs, and enjoyed the mock war until the bell rang for the midday meal. Proper behaviour resumed, and they got up and made ready to partake of the meal.




At the table, Losgael sat in her place, still caught up in the excitement of the game. She had enjoyed it greatly, and was animatedly discussing tactics with Maerdess and Erestor. Glorfindel sat in dignified splendour, eating his carrot and turnip soup.


“I thought it might be worth trying to creep up behind them, perhaps two of us could do this, and catch them in a pincer movement,” said Losgael, her expression serious and her voice low.


“You do understand that you are plotting treason against your liege lord, do you not?” Erestor replied.


“Well,” Losgael said, and looked at him with the most innocent expression she could manage, “yes.”


“Such wickedness!” declared Erestor, with a disapproving look.


Maerdess giggled.


Glorfindel tried to keep a straight face.


“You and Maerdess should do it,” Erestor said firmly. “Glorfindel and I shall keep them occupied.”


“Agreed, my captain,” Losgael affirmed.




The pleasure of the festival, mingled with the enjoyment of playing with Elrond's family, had loosened the fetters that bound Losgael's heart and mind. She had grown in many ways, gained the respect of the more senior members of Elrond's household and proved herself to be a wise and capable lady. Much of the reticence that had formerly been attributed to courtly manners had gone as her confidence grew, and she began to blossom like a daffodil in spring, standing tall and proud among the ladies of Rivendell.


The blossoming of Losgael and her greater stature in Elrond's household had begun to affect the people around her. Brethilgwen, who had long been known for her sharp tongue, now spoke more politely to others, and her new humility was being noticed. This in turn had made her more kindly disposed to Maerdess, Losgael and the other ladies in the household, and they became more friendly with her. Erestor, who had been known for his dignity and gravitas, had been seen to smile more, and occasionally laugh. Maerdess, who had always been on the fringes of life in Rivendell, was usually seen at Losgael's side, and had become more popular as a result. Glorfindel, whose pride had always kept him at arm's length from the ladies, seemed to have fallen in love, and was enjoying the company of Maerdess.


'All this in a matter of months! Surely I am the most fortunate Elf-maid in all Middle-earth,' thought Losgael. 'Though the one I love prefers my friend, I have found that to be a friend to those who tend to keep to themselves, and fix my heart and mind on the pleasures of life here in Rivendell has been much more profitable to me than the vain pursuit of a foolish dream. My lady Celebrían is right. Glorfindel is only interested in those ladies who show no interest in him at all, except as a friend, for he feels no fear of entanglement from such ladies. I shall keep to this path, and be sincere about it, and if he changes his mind, so be it. If not, another may seek my hand. It is by letting him go that I shall gain him, or the love of another.'




The days passed swiftly, and as the Yule ball approached, Losgael spent so much time working to help her lady with the preparations that Glorfindel and his desire for Maerdess almost slipped her mind. As she made her way into the great hall on the night of the ball, then, she was shocked to see Glorfindel seize Maerdess in a passionate embrace and kiss her fervently.


The tray of napkins she was holding clattered on the floor, and she stood stock still, agape with surprise.


The noise caught the attention of the couple, who broke apart at once.


No-one knew quite where to look, for this was most improper, but what happened next caused every jaw to drop as the sound of a slap to Glorfindel's face rent the air.


TBC...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List