Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Love of a Lord  by WendWriter

As the arrangements for the new extension to the Last Homely House took shape, Elrond and Celebrían watched from the balcony outside his study.


“I am surprised you gave such an important task to Losgael, Cugu-nin,” said Elrond, looking critically at it. He had not yet decided whether it had been a good idea to give Losgael the responsibility for overseeing the building of the new guest wing.


“She cannot grow without learning to take responsibility, Parv-seron,” his wife replied. “I want to lay some burdens on her that will allow her to show us – and herself – what she is capable of.”


It seemed foolish and naïve to think that taking on tasks would pull Losgael out of her inner pit. “What of her past? How are you dealing with those deep hurts of hers?” asked her husband. “What are you going to do about those?”


“I have made a time every day,” said Celebrían, “when the boys are studying, to sit with her and discuss the matter. I ask her how she felt about them then, and how she feels about it now. It is not easy for her, but she is beginning to see that there is a way out of her pain.”


“And what of Glorfindel?” asked Elrond, turning to his lady. There was the rub. To mislead his friend in any way seemed utterly wrong to him.


“He is my friend, too,” she assured him, “and I wish him only joy. He may or may not have his part to play in Losgael's life, but before she can become a lover, she must learn to be a friend, not just to him, but to other people.”


“I agree, Cugu-nin,” said Elrond gravely. “I wish to see her develop more fully in her heart and mind before being set on a course that may demand more from both of them than they are able to deal with.”


“Yes, Parv-seron,” she replied, “I have considered the implications of my actions.”


“Have you discussed this with Glorfindel?” asked Elrond, leaning back against the wall.


“No, I have not,” Celebrían said, a puzzled expression on her face. “Should I? And if so, how?”


Elrond rubbed his forehead, as if trying to erase a headache. “I am not certain, Cugu-nin, but I do not want my friend to be made the object of a game.”


“I would never do such a thing!” declared Celebrían.


“I hope not,” said Elrond sternly. “I know you want to help your friend, beloved, but I think it is only fair to tell people about any changes you intend to make to their living arrangements.”


Celebrían went quiet, then walked away.




Glorfindel worked with the builders, watching as they laid the bricks for the new extension. He had watched the first bricks go up for the first houses there, and had actually helped with the building himself. There was no time for airs and graces then, everyone had to work. It was very different now – people were calling each other “my lord” and “my lady” and using titles. This time, he was expected to supervise and give instructions, not to take part in the actual building. Once in a while, as the building progressed, the sights and smells of the bricks, wood and mortar brought bitter-sweet memories of the building of Rivendell to his mind. He found it hard not to slip back into his old way of thinking and acting while the old thoughts and feelings were so strong.


Losgael had been given the task of ensuring the continuity of design in the work. The new guest wing was supposed to house important visitors, and was necessary because the children of Elrond would require apartments of their own later on. They had already taken over the existing guest quarters for their playroom, bedrooms and classroom. Guests could be accommodated well enough in Rivendell, but to ensure the best possible comfort for them, Elrond had ordered the building of another wing.


“My lord,” said Losgael, as she walked around and inspected the work, “I know you said we ought to have the layers up to this level, but the windows in the rest of the house are bigger and lower. Is there a reason for this?”


Glorfindel looked back at her. She had lost that awkwardness she had displayed while they were king and queen of the harvest festival, and had become somewhat familiar with him. He was not sure which he preferred, the maidenly blushing he had been taught was preferable, or the new strength of will that was emerging. “I thought it would be better to have smaller windows to keep the heat in the room,” he argued.


“While I agree in principle,” she countered, “I fear that the symmetry of the building will be spoiled. What can we do about this?”


'Very diplomatic,' thought Glorfindel, as he smiled at her. She was right, of course. “Can we cease the building for a little while, please?” he said loudly. “A problem has arisen, and we need to discuss it.”


Workers dropped their tools and went to the tent that had been erected nearby. A brazier burned just outside it, and on it was a steaming kettle. Maerdess stood inside and dispensed small cakes and pieces of bread with cheese on.


“How do you propose to resolve this?” asked Glorfindel.


Losgael had a habit of clasping her hands when she was thinking. “I would measure the windows I am referring to, and make the new ones proportional to them, and to the main structure,” she said after a while.


“That seems like a good idea,” Glorfindel concurred.


“Let us join the workers at the tent,” said Losgael. “Maerdess appears to have made quite a feast for them.”


“She does indeed,” he agreed.


At the tent, Maerdess worked with Buiowen to serve the workers, who were clearly enjoying their food.


“My lady Maerdess,” said Glorfindel, indicating the tent, food and drink, “you have done very well with this.”


“Thank you, my lord,” said Maerdess. A crimson blush darkened her face. “But some credit ought to go to Brethilgwen, for it was her idea to provide a tent for the workers to come to. She also helped to get us the brazier. Buiowen arranged the food, the kettle and the other things you see here.”


“And what of your own part in this?” asked Losgael.


“I merely made a suggestion to our dear lady Celebrían,” Maerdess replied, “and she agreed to it.”


“I am surprised to see you at such menial work, my lady,” said Glorfindel, stressing the word 'lady.'


“If my friend Losgael is out here,” said Maerdess in a firm tone, “then so am I, and I will aid her in what way I can.”


Glorfindel smiled broadly. He appreciated loyalty above all other virtues, and to see it in a lady he had formerly thought little of pleased him. “You are aiding us all, my lady.”


Surely Maerdess was a better lady than he had heretofore given her credit for being. A spark of respect for her winked into being within him, and he began to consider her in ways he had never imagined before. She was a beautiful lady, and certainly worthy of him.


“I would like to find a way to thank you personally,” said Glorfindel, “for all you have done for us.”


TBC...






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List