Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Quest  by cathleen

Chapter Seven

 

“Into Greater Darkness”

 She spoke into the gloom that surrounded her, voice raised in a wail. ‘Come to me! Bring the lost spirits and I shall be whole at last.’

 

 

The chill. Lost. He wandered up one tunnel and down the next. The voices tugged him along; he had no will of his own.  He was aware that ahead of him another wandered.  He stumbled through the darkness knowing the will he heeded was not his own. He was many. And he was none.  He knew one purpose only. To seek, reunite. Obey. Mocking laughter burst from the walls on either side of his path. He clutched the single smooth stone tighter. Who was he? The blue sphere shone from between his fingers and he lifted it to his eyes. Deep inside it held many voices urging him on into greater darkness.  He stared at the myriad of colors swirling within and discerned a single voice, stronger, more demanding than the others; Merry listened to it closely, frowning, his feet hastening the length of the cold rock floor.

 

 

 

The stones wept. He grasped the largest one tightly in his right hand and quickened his pace, as if doing so would calm them.  It made no difference.  He squeezed his hand shut over the remaining pebbles seeking comfort in their warmth. The soft tones grew until they were a jarring ringing which only added to his distress. The cries were deafening him and he sought to stifle them by pressing his hands to his aching head. The crying increased untilhe thought he would go mad. Hestaggered, and then began to run, heart thumping in his chest. He heard the footsteps of the one who trailed him running, too.  A moment later, a black cloud of winged air descended all about him. He flailed his arms in wild horror but no matter which way he turned he was unable to flee. Pippin staggered, crashing into the sharp rocks at his feet and lay still.

The gray creatures swooped about his prone form, eyeing him greedily; sharp teeth glittered in the darkness. Dark mouths opened and closed rapidly before screeching voices rose as one to answer another who called them to her. . .

 

***

Yes, come to me my servants. You have no dread of darkness. It is your fortification.

 

Her cold laughter rang out, building to a shrieking crescendo that let slip her madness, her passion for the years spent alone, in preparation for this day. She drew forth a great-fingered wing, stretching out each barbed claw in turn, and stared in distress at the transparent display. Not yet. She remained still only a shadow of her former self. No matter. In her mind she already existed whole and potent. Soon she would harness her full power once more and then nothing could save them. 

***

 

“I wish I could get down there right now.  I cannot bear this waiting while they may be trapped down there in that black hole.” Boromir appeared calm enough, but inside he was anything but calm.  He and Gimli knelt over the crevasse in the floor of the corridor and waited for Aragorn’s return.  The thought of Merry and Pippin down in that dark place, perhaps injured, surely frightened out of their wits, was almost more than he could bear. He hoped Aragorn was wrong about this.

“Best you wait for the rope. ‘Twould not do to go about this all willy-nilly and create more problems.”  Gimli looked at the frowning face in the flickering light of the torch and awkwardly tried to comfort his companion. “They very well may not be down there, you know.”

“Aragorn seems to think this is the only place left to look.” Boromir replied with a grimace.

Gimli grunted, pacing the floor. “’Tis a very good thing someone had the presence of mind to tuck away a bit of rope for the journey,” he muttered, as though disgusted with himself for forgetting such an essential item.

Boromir laid flat and thrust the torch as far down the hole as he could. He saw nothing; there was only blackness. He listened carefully for sound. All was still. Boromir carefully inched back and regained his feet, a deep sigh on his lips and a strange ache in his heart. He took to pacing at the entrance to the tunnel, straining his eyes into the darkness for any sign of their companions. Gimli watched in silence.

 

***

 

The Ranger’s face darkened as he listened to Legolas recount Pippin’s secret.  Finally he spoke, “How long had you planned on waiting to inform me?”

“Aragorn…” Legolas took a deep breath and released it slowly.  “I know now I should have spoken.  However, at first it did not seem so serious.  It was merely a curious thing.  And Pippin became so upset with the thought of telling you,” his voice trailed off and he looked ashamed.  “I did not know how dire the situation was.”

“Why did you not come to me sooner? I understand Pippin’s hesitance.  He is young and inexperienced. But you should have told me immediately.”

“I have no answer to your question.” Why had he allowed Pippin to stay his better judgment? Legolas wondered. He had no answer to that question either.

“We do not have time to discuss this now.  We will speak more of it later.”  Aragorn turned away, steeling his will to deal with Frodo. The others looked up at their approach. 

Aragorn shook his head.  “We have returned for additional supplies.  We are going to explore the crevasse that Legolas came upon yesterday.”

The wizard looked from one to the other sensing the tension between them.  He nodded, saving his questions for later. Frodo however, did not.  He stood, his resolve strengthening as he faced Aragorn. “I wish to accompany you--”

“No,” Aragorn’s voice was flat as he retrieved tools from his pack, and a coil of rope, his back to Frodo all the while.

“It is not a request!”

Aragorn halted in his preparations and spun on Frodo. “We have a large enough concern with your missing cousins.  I do not need another person to be worried about.”

“Then do not be concerned with me, but I shan’t stay behind any longer.  I am as responsible for them as you are and I shall help find them!”  Frodo gathered his things as he spoke.

Sam watched with concern and his eyes flickered to the wizard in a silent plea.  Gandalf stood to the side of the little group and now he stepped forward.

“Aragorn, perhaps it would be better if we all accompanied you, at least as far as the crevasse.  We have been waiting here for word of what is happening for some time.  It might at least relieve a small portion of the disquiet while we wait.”

Aragorn paused and considered the wizard’s words. His gaze softened when he looked at Frodo and Sam, noting their worried expressions. “Very well.  But you must listen to our direction at all times.  Understood?”

Frodo nodded curtly.  “Come, Sam.”  He linked his arm with his friend’s and started quickly towards the back of the cavern.

Aragorn and Legolas were already out of sight as Gandalf hoisted a torch and followed at a more sedate pace. The wizard considered the tension between the two warriors. Something was wrong and his own sense of foreboding was growing stronger by the hour.

“Ah, here they are at last.  I told you it would not be much longer.” Boromir hurried forward to assist them in carrying their burden to the edge of the deep hole.

“Easy lad!” Gimli bent to retrieve the items Boromir had dropped in his haste.

“We have already wasted far too much time.” Boromir grimaced as he attempted to unwind the rope and in his haste succeeded only in tangling it.  Annoyed, he tugged hard at the knot and created a worse one. He increased his efforts and in his frustration very nearly flung the whole thing down the wide crack. The Dwarf observed his actions in silent incredulity.

Boromir snatched the rope up and appeared ready to pound the walls in his agitation when Frodo stepped forward and gently pulled the cord away from him, applying his small hands to the tangled mess. Boromir slumped against the rock and watched as Frodo and Sam completed the task he had started. He mopped his sweaty face with a shaking hand.

The Ranger chose to ignore the scene and busied himself with unloading his pack. Soon the party was ready to rappel down the steep incline into whatever awaited. They stood as one and peered into the darkness. Frodo stared into the crack at their feet disturbed by the possibility his cousins had actually tumbled into the deep hole.

Sam placed a comforting arm about his shoulders and spoke quietly.  “It’ll be all right Mr Frodo, just you wait and see. Strider will find them.  I know he will.”

Frodo smiled at his friend’s confidence.  “I hope so Sam.”  He looked at the Ranger; his uneasiness was clear. 

“We will proceed with the utmost caution.  I will go first. Boromir and Gimli will follow.”  Aragorn trained his eyes on the elf.  “Legolas, will you please remain here and keep the watch with Gandalf?”

Legolas opened his mouth to protest but said nothing when Aragorn held up a hand to stop him. 

“One of us must stand guard here. If Gandalf were to need assistance it would take too long for one of us to return.  As I said earlier, we cannot be too careful in this place.”  Legolas bowed his head in acquiescence.

Aragorn looked around.  “Are there any questions?”

“We will be fine, Aragorn.  Please proceed.”  The wizard waved them on.

“Aye, please find Mr Frodo’s cousins Strider!”

Aragorn gave a curt nod.  “We will, Sam.”

Legolas helped them lower their torches to the floor of the deep cavern.  Dropping the rope, Aragorn descended into the long crack into the lower caverns.  An anxious Boromir was not far behind, carefully lowering himself hand over hand.  In a moment Gimli followed while Legolas and Gandalf monitored the ropes secure hold on a huge rock.  At last they felt the rope go slack.  Peering over the edge they were no longer able to see their companions below, but they could still hear them. 

Aragorn’s voice echoed up the shaft.  “We have arrived safely.” 

Then there was nothing but silence.

“Well,” the wizard sank down on an outcropping of stone and attempted to make himself comfortable.  “We may have a long wait.”

“Why can we not continue to search?”  Frodo’s anxiety was painful to behold.  “We might check some of the areas you searched before,” he nodded at Legolas.

Legolas looked uncomfortable.  “We did search rather thoroughly.”  The pleading in Frodo’s eyes touched him.  “However, I do not believe it would do any harm to have another look.”

All eyes shifted to Gandalf. “I hate to disappoint you but the answer, at least for the moment, is no.  We will stay put and await word from below.”  He held up his hand to stop the protest about to burst forth from Frodo.  “For now.  However, if they remain gone for a long spell then perhaps I will consider the possibility of another search at this level.  For the time being we wait here.  Is that understood?”  He eyed each of them in turn.  Legolas nodded.

“Aye, Mr Gandalf,” Sam reluctantly agreed, casting a glance at Frodo.

“Frodo?”

“Yes Gandalf.”  Frodo’s voice was low.  “For the time being.”

“I want your word that you will not wander from the group.  Yes?”

“Yes.”

Gandalf still looked unhappy but he let the matter drop for the moment.  “Perhaps we should build a small fire. The air is even more damp here than in the outer cavern.” 

No one said a word as they set about retrieving the needed supplies from the pony’s back.  Bill was as quiet as his two-legged companions and watched as Sam took a pack containing firewood from his back.  Legolas assisted them in constructing a pit large enough for the small campfire.  Gandalf’s eyes were following Legolas’s actions when they heard a shout from below.  Frodo was the first to reach the edge of the chasm and he yelled back to them.

“Aragorn! Have you found them?”

“No.”  The voice echoed eerily. “We have searched the immediate area of this cavern and we are now proceeding away from here. It may be some time before we are in communication again.”

“Do not be concerned with us Aragorn! We will be here when you return.”  The wizard looked pointedly at Frodo who answered with a grimace and a shout to the Ranger.

“Please Aragorn, just find them!”

The stillness of the cave closed in about them once more as they listened to the last of the footsteps fade away. Frodo slumped down next to their fire and placed his head in his hands. Sam sat close by. They did not speak.  As time eased slowly by the sound of restful breathing told the wizard that the two weary hobbits had fallen asleep at last.  Gandalf took advantage of the opportunity to speak privately and indicated to Legolas he should take a seat next to him. The Elf obeyed without protest.

“What is wrong between you and Aragorn?” Gandalf spoke very softly.

Legolas looked away. At last, he spoke. “He is angry with me.”

“About what?”

Legolas sighed and settled back against the rock wall.  “Mithrandir,” he whispered, “I have done a terrible thing.”

“And that is?”

“I withheld something out of compassion, and in doing so I have created greater turmoil for all.”

Gandalf considered the words.  “This concerns Peregrin, does it not?”

“How did you know?”

Gandalf sighed.  “I have sensed something odd for some time now. Whatever is wrong is beginning to affect everyone. I am not at all surprised to hear he has been holding something back. But, how did you become involved?”

The Elf was quiet for several moments before speaking.  “Do you remember the day we camped near the river? Just before heading up the mountain?”

“Of course. We spent two nights there preparing for the journey.  We set Pippin and Merry to work gathering firewood whilst Frodo and Sam washed clothes while the rest of you hunted.”

Gandalf gazed into the shadows, recalling the scene. “Pippin’s sleeves were wet,” he said softly. It had not seemed of much significance at the time. The memory had stayed with him because he was puzzled over why Pippin would be trailing his hands in the water on such a chill day.

“What, Gandalf?”

“Oh, I was just musing about the fact that of late, the lad’s shirt sleeves have been wet almost every time I’ve looked at him.  Including while we’ve camped here in the cavern.”

Legolas nodded.  “Something has been bothering me since the time we left that area.”

“How so?”

“You recall when Aragorn took Frodo to task over his poor attitude? Pippin ran off into the woods.”

“Yes. You followed him and returned him safely to our camp.”

Legolas hesitated before continuing.  “I walked behind Pippin and observed his actions for some time while he was unaware of my presence. He appeared to be. . .listening. Watching out over the water, as if in expectation. After a time he would pause and run his hands along the edge of the water as though seeking something. Then he continued his walk, now and again pausing to listen once more.”

“Hmm, running his hands in the water you say? Did you happen to see him remove anything?”

Legolas shook his head.  “Nay, he simply continued on in the same manner for a time.”

“Did you confront him?”

“Yes, he was on the way back when I startled him on the path.  I queried him on his actions and he explained that for some time he had discerned something, he was not sure just what, a voice or a fragment of music, and it seemed to be calling out to him.  He said he thought there was something he could not remember, something he should know, and it was worrying him. I have been feeling the same way. Something touches my mind but I am unable to bring it into full awareness.”

Gandalf touched his shoulder gently. “Did he say anything else?”

“I asked him if what he heard frightened him and he replied that it did not.  Instead, he said it bewildered him.”

“Hmm.  I wonder. . .”  Gandalf pondered almost to himself.  “Watching over the water. . .playing his hands about in it as if seeking something. . .”

“Gandalf?”

“Did he say anything else?”  Gandalf asked abruptly.

Legolas’s face bore a pained expression. “He begged me not to reveal what he had said. I encouraged him to talk to you, or to his cousins, or Aragorn, but he protested he would rather not, at least not at that time.  While I told him I might need to reveal what he had told me I did agree that I would say nothing for the time being.”  He dipped his head and whispered, “That is where I made my first error in judgment.”

“Aragorn knows of this incident now? That is why he is angry?”

Legolas nodded.  “But it does not end there. It gets much worse.  Not long after I followed him from camp after he had awakened from a nightmare--”

“Yes, I am aware of that.  I also was awakened that night and observed the events.”

“Pippin wandered away but I knew he was not sleepwalking. I was ready to take him to task for his foolish behaviour when he paused and stood staring up into the night sky for the longest time. I waited and grew uneasy as more time passed. I was about to confront him when he seemed to shake himself back to his senses and returned to camp.  I decided not to mention the incident to anyone, however, I intended to keep a closer eye on him.”

“It was not long after that he became more excitable.”  Gandalf rubbed his chin in thought.  “He and Merry were getting out of sorts with one another.  I recall the outburst he had while on the path to this cave.”

“Yes, he was nearly frantic that day. I had been questioning him, asking if he was still hearing the music or the voices. He took quite an exception to that.  And then. . .it was so odd!  He started to carry on about his family, most especially his aunt. He kept saying no one would understand, and that you and Aragorn would believe he was just like her.”

“Hmm, how very interesting. You recall the story that Merry and Frodo told?  Pippin has very strong feelings toward this particular relative, and they have never been especially positive ones.  I shall have to think on that.”

The two of them sat in companionable silence for some time, each pondering their conversation.  Finally Legolas spoke again.

“Mithrandir? What do you think is happening?  Do you have some suspicion about what is going on?”

The wizard remained silent for several minutes and just as Legolas began to believe he did not intend to answer, Gandalf spoke at last. “There is a legend, my young friend. One that is very old and doubtlessly recalled by few.”

There was something in Gandalf’s voice that sent shivers up and down Legolas’s spine.

“Have you ever considered how the palantíri came to be?  Where and how they originated?  And why they were created?”  The wizard sat very still, staring into the dark tunnel as he spoke, his voice very soft. 

“The palantíri?” Legolas thought hard about the things he knew surrounding the mysterious Seeing Stones. They were a medium by which to pass on information over vast distances, that much was common knowledge.  He knew that the stones could be used to communicate and share thoughts with others.  “The palantíri were created in the Undying Lands by Feanor, who also made the Silmarils.  Over the years many of them were lost, and have never been found again.”

“Yes.”  Gandalf continued speaking softly.  “That is all true.  When communication is attempted the people involved hear the voices inside their heads as palantíri do not transmit any sound.  It is also said that past events are held captured within the very essence of the stones and are retrievable by those possessing a very strong will.”

The wizard was silent for so long that Legolas finally prompted him to continue.

“Ah, yes. And did you know that the Stone of Osgiliath was lost in the waters of the Anduin during the civil war of the Kin-Strife in the Third Age?”

“Yes. That particular Stone was the Master of the seven palantíri in Middle Earth.”

“And it was capable of surveying all of the other Stones at once and could even eavesdrop upon communications between the palantíri.  It was one of the largest Stones.  Two others are known to have been lost in the water; they are the Stones of Annuminas and Amon Sul, and went into the sea after the ship foundered on the ice.  Legend has it that they fell into a great volcano under the sea.” The wizard’s voice trailed off. He refocused his gaze upon the Elf.  “It is believed that the only force capable of destroying a palantír is a great fire.”

“Gandalf, do you believe there is some force directing a palantír to have an influence over our Company? But, how can that be? Pippin could not simply have scooped one up and placed it in his pocket. They are in general, far too large for that. Unless. . .” Legolas pondered, his eyes slowly widening in understanding.

“Ah. I see you are beginning to follow my reasoning. Yes indeed. You are quite correct.  In order for the lad to have been able to carry it in his pocket it would now be very small, yes? Recall that I told you the old legend says the palantíri fell into a great volcano. If the Stones were transformed by the intense heat then it is possible many small pieces of it survived.”

“Oh, Stars.”

“Water is the common guide, you know. It creates a connection between planes, quite literally in fact, in some instances. It may have carried bits of the destroyed palantíri over vast distances during the passage of time.  The legend says that the palantíri will struggle to be found and reunited. Of course, legends have a way of becoming distorted with the passing of years.”

Legolas gasped, one hand flying to his brow in sudden understanding. “The water, his fascination with watching the water, and playing about in it. The conduction of voices over vast distances. Gandalf--!”

“Indeed. If there is any truth to the legend then it is entirely possible young Peregrin is contributing to the reunification of the Stones. He may have been collecting bits of them from the waters during our journey.  If this is the case then it naturally follows that the control exerted by the will of the Stones would cause the lad to remain quiet about his discovery. To him it has likely seemed he was collecting a great treasure of sorts.”

“One he did not wish to share.”

Gandalf nodded. “The power of the Ring that travels with us may also be an influence, I do not know. The Stones would likely seek to captivate the mind of a person with an open will. Someone who is perhaps susceptible to its call.”  The wizard inhaled and let out the breath slowly. “Someone who possesses the Sight, perhaps. And I believe if this is what has been occurring others whom Pippin is close to may also be easily influenced through his mind, especially his kin. Hence, the interactions he has had with Merry, and also with Frodo. Pippin is no doubt experiencing a very difficult struggle dealing with the myriad of emotion he is channeling through the Stones, and adding that to his already very excitable nature, In addition to that the Ring will almost certainly be involved in the magnification of strong feelings. Recall the night when Frodo attacked his young cousin in his sleep.”

“And the nightmares they both seem to share.” Legolas took a moment to absorb all he had learned.  “I recall a recent conversation I had with Aragorn. We spoke of such things. I reminded him of the existence of intuitive links between those who are close to one another.  I was of a mind at the time that Pippin’s and Frodo’s actions were the result of that bond. And that Pippin’s actions were more likely caused by his lack of maturity and the confronting so many new challenges. Although I admit to having been more puzzled over the voices and the music. Now it would seem there is so much more involved.”

“Pippin is no doubt being bombarded with great zeal from the Stones.  The greater the number he has found, the stronger the compulsion to act upon its fervor.”  Gandalf sighed heavily, his face paling.  “As a matter of fact, if this is indeed what has happened it is a small wonder the lad has not been driven mad by the constant preying of the force upon his mind. The matter at hand has become much more urgent. We must find them quickly. If Aragorn and the rest do not return soon then I believe it would behoove us to proceed with our own search.”

“I agree.”

Gandalf chuckled, but the sound held little humour. “Perhaps it would have been wise for Aragorn to have placed some sleeping powders in Pippin’s food also, rather than just Frodo’s. At the very least, a sleepy hobbit would be easier to track.”

Legolas raised an eyebrow.  “Aragorn has been drugging the Ringbearer?  How long has this been occurring?”

“Only since our entrance into the caverns. He deemed it safer, given Frodo’s penchant for night wandering. We were concerned he might try to leave the cave and wind up caught in the blizzard.  If that had happened we likely never would have found him. Alive, at least.”

The two of them fell silent for a short time. Gandalf studied the backs of the slumbering hobbits while he ruminated.

Legolas busied his mind with developing a strategy for further exploration, trying desperately to determine if there was anything they might have missed during the earlier search. The wizard’s words weighed heavily upon him, and he was still disturbed by the feeling there was something he needed to remember. 

“Mithrandir?”

Gandalf looked up.

“Is there anything else I am not aware of?”

Gandalf smiled his understanding.  “No, I believe that about covers it all.”

Frodo scowled and shifted his position next to Sam, doing his best to remain quiet and appear as if he continued to sleep. The pretense was growing more difficult with each new bit of information he was learning from the conversation between Gandalf and Legolas. Inwardly he fumed.

How dare he!  It is bad enough that he insists I stay lashed to Sam at night.  But, to drug me without my knowledge or consent?  It is unconscionable! And how long has Gandalf suspected Pippin carries bits of a palantír? We must act now!  I must act now!  I don’t care to hear any more of Aragorn’s opinion, I must creep away and begin my own search as quickly as possible.  Perhaps they will fall asleep soon. 

 

***

“Do ye see anything lad?” The Dwarf’s voice echoed down the deepest tunnel they had yet explored.  Gimli grunted with the effort of helping to hold Boromir’s weight.

“No.”  The voice that answered his sounded weary and disgusted.  I can see nothing, nor hear any sound as far as I am able to go.”

“Pull him up.”  The Ranger’s voice was taut with his feelings of failure that now bombarded him at every turn. Aragorn was tempted to let out a bellow of frustration, but refused to allow himself the luxury.  Instead he busied himself with rewinding the rope as Boromir shed it.

“It appears we have searched every inch we are able to freely access,” the big man complained.

“Aye, and a few that were not so free, eh?”  Gimli turned in a circle, eyeing the ceiling as he waved his torch about.  He pointed.  “Ah, see yonder, lads.  A multitude of winged beasties!”

Aragorn looked in the direction the dwarf pointed. “We should be very careful not to disturb them if we are able.”

“Yes, it would be most unpleasant to bring down a horde of bats upon our heads,” Boromir snorted and brushed his long hair back from his sweaty face.  “Confounded clamminess!  How the air may stay so damp and chill while at the same time causing one to perspire as though it were a hot summer’s day is beyond my ken.”

“Aye, ‘tis the nature of caves.  It does not perturb me, though.  I am very accustomed to being underground, of course.”

 “So you say. As for me, I am not a dwarf,” Boromir admitted dryly.

“Ah, yes, well there’s naught to be done to remedy that.  The air is what it is.” Gimli sank onto a rock and drew a deep breath letting it out quickly.  “What do you think? Should we head back and explore elsewhere?”

Aragorn nodded.  “I do not think they have come this way.  We have given the search ample leeway and I believe it is indeed time we traveled in the opposite direction.  Perhaps there is news from the caverns above by this time.  At the very least, we require the opportunity to refresh ourselves and rest for a brief time before continuing.”

Boromir opened his mouth to protest and was stopped by the Ranger’s raised hand.  “Nay Boromir.  Do not fear.  We will not stop searching until we find them.  But we need to regroup and rethink our strategy before continuing.”

“I know you are right, but I just cannot help feeling that the longer they are missing. . .”  Boromir’s voice trailed off and his companions nodded their understanding.

“Aye,” Gimli agreed.  “But ‘twill not further our goal to go about our search willy-nilly.”

The Gondorian conceded without any further protest. He tossed a glance over his shoulder, giving a shudder of distaste at the flock of furry bats before following the others.  A sound like the crunch of gravel met his ears. Boromir paused, turning his head. He squinted into the gloom. Had those been footsteps?  Unease prickled at his skin, a feeling like a thousand thistles brushing against his skin as he hesitated, straining his ears into the darkness. A chattering of laughter seemed to echo inside his head as a thousand glittering eyes of stone peered down at him from the ceiling. There were bats everywhere now. Boromir turned; resisting the urge to run, he took a deep breath and settled for a brisk stride.

Aragorn cupped his hands to his mouth and shouted.  Momentarily he felt a tug on the rope and Legolas called down to him.  It didn’t take long to hoist their gear up and then the travellers themselves.  Aragorn paused at the top to take a quick look around at the little group before scrambling the rest of the way out of the chasm and removing the rope from his shoulders.  Boromir was already filling them in on their intentions.

The Ranger braced himself for the onslaught of emotion from Frodo.  He became alarmed when it did not come.  He peered a little closer at the hobbits and watched as Sam rose from the blankets.  The huddled form beside him appeared to slumber still.  Eyes darkening in suspicion Aragorn hastened to the fire and ripped the blanket away.  The underlying rocks had been fashioned to look like a sleeping hobbit. 

This time he did roar, making his displeasure known to all.  “Where is Frodo?”

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List