Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Quest  by cathleen

Quest

Chapter Three

 

“Riddles”

As they trudged along the next day Frodo’s mind was awhirl.  Fear clutched at his chest and he was unable to shed the last evening’s nightmare, and the fear it had caused him. What if I had hurt Pippin, --? Frodo thought.  I simply could not live with that!  But what can I do?  If I can’t control it perhaps it would be better for everyone if I just went on alone.  He shook his head at the idea. I don’t know the way to Mordor!  Frodo sighed heavily.  It was fast becoming a habit.  His mournful expression alerted Sam to his misery. Merry and Pippin were also watching him carefully. Frodo tried to smile at them, but it was more a grimace.

How can I be sure I won’t harm the others? What about Sam?  He stays so close to me.  And I’ve become so annoyed with him.  What if I turn on him in my sleep, or worse, when I am awake?   

Sam crept close.  “Mr Frodo, Mr Pippin’s come up with a riddle as he thinks no one can guess! You’re right good at riddles. Can you guess this one? Here, Mr Pippin, can you ask your riddle again?”

Frodo was not fooled. He knew it was an attempt to get his mind off his troubles, but he could hardly resent it, knowing it was motivated by affection. Frodo gave Sam a weary smile of gratitude.

“Certainly Sam!”  Pippin turned around and repeated his question.

"You saw me where I never was

and where I could not be.

And yet within that very place

My face you often see." 

Merry chuckled. “That really is awfully good, Pip! I’ve been thinking it over since you first came up with it and I still haven’t figured it out.”

“That is a right puzzling one, isn’t it, Mr Frodo? But I reckon you can figure it out!”

Frodo released a small breath, the sound almost imperceptible. Sam’s enthusiasm did not motivate him. “Well. . . give me a moment to consider it.” He rubbed his chin and tried to concentrate. “Are you in a tree?”

“What?” Pippin’s eyes widened and then he laughed. “No, I’m afraid I’m not up a tree. Guess again!”

Silence. Frodo made another half-hearted attempt. “Are you inside a bubble?” Frodo frowned, realising how ridiculous this sounded as soon as he said it, but still making an effort to join in the game for the sake of the others. He knew they were only trying to help.

“Bubble? How did a bubble get into this riddle, Frodo?” Pippin asked.

“Well now, I think Mr Frodo is talking about a soap bubble, Mr Pippin. Is that right, Mr Frodo?”

Frodo shook his head, as much to clear it, as to indicate he was not thinking of a soap bubble. Quite honestly, at this point he had no idea exactly what he was thinking. Summoning his patience, he tried again. “Uh, is it a portrait?”

Pippin shook his head. “I’ll give you a hint. That’s close.”

“Hmm.” Frustration prickled at the back of Frodo’s neck like the briars on a rose bush. Normally, he would enjoy such a challenge.

Sensing Frodo’s increasing frustration, Pippin decided to end the guessing. ”Does everyone give up? The answer is a reflection! You see? I told you no one would guess correctly.”

“Very good, Mr Pippin! What about you, Mr Frodo? I’ll wager you know a good riddle to share, like as no one will guess, just as Mr Pippin did,” Sam asked, eager to keep the mood light.

“Let me think.” Frodo gathered his determination. “All right, how about this one? I heard Uncle Bilbo tell it a long time ago. “It cannot be seen, it weighs nothing, but when put into a barrel, it makes it lighter.What is it?

 “Cannot be seen. . .makes the barrel lighter. . .” Merry pondered.

“Air?” Pippin ventured. Merry snorted. Pippin half-turned, giving him a conspiratorial wink.

“A hole,” said Sam suddenly, face brightening.

“That’s right! Very good, Sam,” Frodo said, his smile genuine.

“Oh! I have another! It’s one of my favourites.” Pippin recited, “At night they come without being fetched. By day they are lost without being stolen. What are they?”  

“Stars!” Merry said. “You’ve told that one far too often.”

Starting to get into the spirit of the fun at last, Frodo offered another riddle without being prompted. “What starts with a T, ends with a T, and has T in it?”

“I know! A teapot!” Pippin laughed. “Pearl taught me that one.”

“That was too easy. How about another?” Merry teased.

They shared their jests and riddles for a while longer until Frodo began to weary of the game. The voices of his cousins and Sam seemed to be coming to him from far away, as if he were walking inside a tunnel, the sound muffled. His mind felt foggy and each step required more effort. Frodo’s expression darkened and he spoke a last riddle, softly. “What begins and has no end? What is the ending of all that begins?”--  

They ventured their guesses until finally Frodo stopped and turned to them, surrendering the answer. “Death. It ends all that begins, and there's no end to death.”

The others stopped in their tracks. No one spoke. Frodo turned and trudged away from them.

***

He wandered in the woods. Someone was following, he was sure of it.  He ducked behind a tree and peered out into the blackness of the night. The wind whistled through the treetops, attracting his attention.  Black wings flew overhead. He huddled at the base of the tree, shivering. The Nazgûl! It is no use. He surrendered to the expanding black wings as they descended, encircling him in a cloak of darkness. . .

Frodo shrieked and tried to escape. Aragorn pulled him back, wrapping his cloak around the shivering hobbit.

“Shush! Peace, Frodo! You have been night wandering again.” Aragorn sat on the ground beneath the tree laying a comforting hand on his shoulder.

“What happened? Where am I?”

“You loosened the binding about your ankle and freed yourself from Sam. I found you wandering amongst the trees.”

Frodo’s eyes widened.  “I did not do it with resolve, Aragorn. I do not even recall my actions.”

“And that may be so.”

“What do you mean – may be so? I told you, I did not do it with forethought!  I was dreaming.” Frodo fell back against the Ranger again. “The Nazgûl were upon me. I could not get away.” 

“You must fight it Frodo! You are giving into it little by little. The Ring feeds on hopelessness and despair. You cannot allow this to continue lest hope be lost. Not only for you, but for us all!” Aragorn gave him a not so gentle shake.

Frodo leaped up and turned to face Aragorn, his eyes flashing angrily.  “I am fighting it! Each and every moment of the day and the night! You cannot know what I am going through, the torment I am feeling!  How dare you judge me in such a fashion!”  Frodo whirled and began to storm back to camp. 

Aragorn hurried after him.  “Wait a moment.”

Frodo fumed, but waited for Aragorn to speak, arms folded angrily across his chest.  Aragorn rested his hand on Frodo’s arm.

“What I am saying is the truth. You cannot see it because you are too close to it. You must allow the rest of us to help you.”

Frodo was silent for a long moment. “May I return to camp now?” The voice was cold, as was the anger it held.

Aragorn lifted his hand.  “You may go.  But we will speak of this again, when you have rested.”

Frodo said nothing and trudged back to the others, refusing to meet the curious stares of his companions who had been awakened by the angry voices.  Frodo flopped into his bed of blankets and turned his back to everyone.  Several eyebrows were raised in confusion. Sam carefully reached out to reattach the leather tie to Frodo’s ankle.

“Leave it,” growled Frodo, slapping the hand away.

Sam looked up at Aragorn in confusion. The Ranger simply shook his head and reached for the string.  “It is all right Sam,” he whispered.  “We will keep our eyes on him this night,” he said with a nod to Legolas and Gandalf.  “Get some sleep now, and do not worry.”

Aragorn headed away from the group, returning to his patrol. Gandalf hurried after him. “What was that all about?”

“Frodo released his foot and went for a walk. While I’ve no doubt he had a waking dream I do feel that he knew what he was doing when he freed himself from Sam. He is still frightened he will harm someone, and he is allowing that fear to consume him.”

“I find I am in agreement.” 

“I tried talking with him after I followed him into the woods. You witnessed his reaction. Gandalf, he trusts you and has known you for many years. Perhaps you should speak with him?”

The wizard shook his head. “Aragorn, I feel it is vital for Frodo to learn to trust you. However, if he does not respond to your efforts soon, then I shall have a talk with him. I prefer you to make another attempt before I do that.”

Aragorn nodded. “Very well. I will speak with him on the morrow and endeavor to impress upon him the folly of his actions.” 

There was no further conversation as they waited the dawn, each preoccupied with his thoughts.

***

The Company rose to face the day as Gimli returned from his watch at the perimeter of their camp and began making ready for the journey.  Aragorn had risen very early.  Indeed, he had barely slept that night.  He watched Frodo from the corner of his eye as he tended to the dying embers of the fire. Detecting the foul mood still firmly in place the Ranger sighed.  This would not be easy. Nor most likely would it be pleasant. However, it was necessary.

Aragorn glanced over at Gandalf, who was resting his back against a large rock as he repacked his belongings. The wizard caught his eye and nodded his agreement. Aragorn went to stand behind Frodo, who was sullenly stuffing his belongings into his pack. The Ranger went unacknowledged.

“Frodo.” Aragorn spoke quietly.

Frodo ceased his task for the briefest of moments and then resumed his ill-tempered packing. He did not respond.

Aragorn raised his voice slightly. “Frodo!”

Once again he was ignored and his query had attracted the attention of the others. Sam looked up in confusion. “Mr Frodo? Strider is talking to you.”

Frodo chose to disregard them both. Sam stared up at Aragorn, who shook his head and motioned for him to move away.  Sam did so obligingly and joined Merry who was observing the scene with a puzzled frown.

Pippin leaned over and poked Frodo playfully, his sunny voice in direct contrast to his cousin’s cool manner.  “Frodo! Don’t you hear us? What’s the matter?”

Frodo whirled on Pippin and favoured him with a dark scowl.  “I’m not hard of hearing Pippin!”

Pip fell back, a look of hurt astonishment on his face. Pippin was about to retort just as Aragorn’s hand fastened itself on Frodo’s shoulder, hoisting him to his feet in one swift movement. Pippin stared up at the two of them in alarm. Gandalf watched the display with interest while Boromir exchanged an uncomfortable look with Legolas. The dwarf stood back from the group and contemplated the scene, his expression unreadable. The Fellowship was still as they beheld Frodo’s rage in disbelief. Aragorn remained coolly determined.

“You will not treat others in this way.  Nor will you ignore me when I am speaking to you.”

Frodo spun around, shrugging off the Ranger’s hand, his face a dark frown.  “And you sir, will not tell me what I must do, night and day. I am an adult, the same as you. And I will not be ordered about for one moment longer!”  Frodo began to stalk away only to find himself halted by the strong hand once more.

“Then you, sir, need to start acting like an adult. There is no place on this journey for childish behaviour, yet you insist on continuing in this manner and I will not allow it any longer. The sooner you accept that, the better off we will be.”

Frodo turned slowly to face him.  “I shall behave in whatever manner I please.”

The pair stared at one another, neither of them moving. The others held their breath. Aragorn said, “We must speak privately.”

The angry words and raised voices filtered to the rest of the Fellowship as they waited at a discreet distance, occasionally trading uncomfortable glances.

At last, Pippin could stand it no longer. He jumped to his feet and sprinted off into the woods. With a glance at the others, Legolas went after him. Merry made as if to follow but Boromir put out a hand to stop him.

“No, allow him some time to himself. Pippin will come back shortly, and meanwhile Legolas will keep an eye on him.”

Merry thought about going anyway, but decided Boromir was right. He turned back to the heated debate between Ranger and Ringbearer, wishing he could intervene. Behind him, Boromir rested a hand on his shoulder.  

***

Pippin ran as fast as his legs would carry him. Out of breath and panting, he circled back to the stream and sank to the ground, drawing his legs up to his chin, rocking to and fro. The motion comforted him and he rested his head upon his knees and sat quietly.

Nearby, Legolas studied the scene with curiosity. Pippin remained motionless for several minutes before his head popped up and he appeared to listen warily. Legolas glanced around, detecting nothing alarming. Pippin rose and clambered down to the stream where he leaned over a big rock, taking careful note of the water. He lifted his head to study the area further downstream and then headed in that direction. Pippin seemed to have forgotten his earlier distress in favour of the new pursuit. The Elf followed without a sound.

Pippin walked beside the stream for some time, occasionally pausing to study the landscape. Every now and then he knelt and felt around at the waters edge before rising and continuing in the same manner. He had made his way far down the stream and Legolas was about to intervene when Pippin stopped at last. As they had travelled, the water’s path had widened, and Pippin gazed across the water, shading the glare with his hand, seemingly enthralled. Finally he shrugged, as though puzzled himself, and began to walk back the way he had come. Looking up for the first time, he started at the sight of the Elf.

“Oh!” Pippin’s hand flew to his chest. “You gave me such a fright! I wish you’d stop doing that!”

“My apologies. Would you care to return to camp with me? You have wandered far away from the others, and it is not safe.”

Pippin gave a nod and fell into step beside him. “Do you suppose Aragorn and Frodo are finished having words?”

“I am certain of it.” 

“You would hear, even from this distance, wouldn’t you?”

Legolas nodded and Pippin chuckled, giving a shake of his head. “Such sensitive ears. I wish I could hear that well.”

“Indeed? My understanding is that hobbits also have keen hearing.”

“We do, but not as exceptional as elves, it seems.”

They walked in companionable silence for a few minutes, Legolas pondering what he had seen. “Pippin, earlier you appeared as if you were listening to something, but my ears detected nothing. I am puzzled. What were you listening for?”

Pippin looked up in surprise, realising for the first time that his secret was no longer his alone. He considered the question, wondering how to answer it. “I’m not certain.” He laughed self-consciously. “Well, there have been a few times lately when I’ve heard something, or thought I did. It’s a voice, or perhaps just a sound that I can’t name. At times it feels like music, a fleeting bit of song, but it always eludes me. I don’t understand the words, but. . .it feels like something is calling out to me.” 

“Does it frighten you?”

“No,” Pippin said slowly, “not particularly. It puzzles me more than anything. Strangely enough, I have the feeling I should know what it is. As if I’ve perhaps forgotten something I should remember. Do you understand what I mean?” He stared up at the elf, his brow furrowed.

“No, little one. I am not at all certain what it is you are saying. But I will reflect on it and see if anything comes to my mind. Perhaps you might speak of it to Gandalf? He may offer you some insight.”

“No, I don’t think so.”

“Why not?”

Pippin didn’t answer. Instead, he fidgeted with an imaginary loose thread on his shirtsleeve and glanced back at the water.

“Perhaps you would prefer to discuss it with Merry? Or Frodo?”

“I don’t know. I wonder if some things aren’t best kept to one’s self.  I’ll think about it, though.” Pippin glanced up. “Legolas?”

“Yes?”

“Please don’t tell anyone about what I’ve said.”

Legolas appeared taken aback by the request. Pippin searched his face, noting the reluctance and hurried to offer an explanation. “For the time-being, at least? I want to think things over by myself before anyone insists that I talk about it.”

“All right. However, I will not promise to hold secrets that may need revealing on this journey. Do you understand?”

“Oh! Yes, of course. But for now you will keep my confidence?”

Legolas nodded and the pair continued the rest of their walk in silence.  

***

“Do you think the matter is settled?” Boromir squinted at the objects of their scrutiny, cautiously optimistic now that things had quieted down.

Gandalf studied the pair before replying. “For a time. Frodo possesses an exceptional strength of mind, and it can work either for him or against him. The Ring will attempt to persuade him to doubt himself. Indecisiveness is Frodo’s enemy, and our own.”

Boromir nodded. “I recognise this. The mind is powerful when set to its course. Through the Ring Sauron works at changing Frodo’s belief that he will ultimately destroy it. I think we are faced with a true battle of wills.”

“Indeed, that is the entire issue. But Frodo’s will must win in the end, no matter the cost.”

 

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List