Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Inklings of Frodo's Youth  by Aunt Dora

Much News

S.R. 15 Blotmath, 1388

“Frodo?!” smiled the wizard with amusement at the news he received when he arrived the next morning.  “Rather a noble name for a hobbit, don’t you think?”

“How so?” Bilbo queried.  “The name bears no significance as far as I know.  There are probably other hobbits with that name.  His father’s name was Drogo.  Frodo – Drogo, it simply rhymes if you see what I mean.  It doesn’t even bear a familiar context.”

“Undoubtedly, Bilbo, undoubtedly,” Gandalf agreed.  “And yet it is also a variation on Frodi, which was the name of an ancient king.  He was a ruler who believed in peace and the welfare of his people over power for himself.” 

Bilbo’s hand absently went to his pocket.  “Coincidence, Gandalf.  Other than me, hobbits know nothing about history save their own and care not at all for the happenings of man.  Since I have never heard the name before, I am sure neither Drogo nor his wife would have.”

The wizard nodded, deep in thought.  “May I see Frodo?”

“Now?  Well, I suppose if you want.  He’s sleeping, though.”

“So late?” It surprised Gandalf.   He was aware hobbits needed significantly more sleep than other mortals, but it was already mid morning.  “Well, it is just as well.  It will give us time to talk.” 

Bilbo found the wizard’s demeanor disquieting.  Something was afoot.  Yet Bilbo’s innate hobbit nature put things in their proper perspective.  “I hope we can have a bite while we talk, Gandalf,” he requested.  “It is nearly time for elevensies and we’ve ample leftovers from yesterday’s party.”

“Yes, yes, by all means,” Gandalf yielded with a chuckle.  He knew that hobbits, Bilbo Baggins indubitably among them, gave their attention first and foremost to their appetites.  It was one of the many things he found delightful about the simple way of life found exclusively within the Shire.  “I would find yours a poor ear if your belly was not satisfied.”

*

The food was delightful, but Gandalf’s news was not.  He told Bilbo of his meeting with his wizarding counterpart Radagast the Brown.  Radagast had brought Rangers to meet with Gandalf, for the Rangers had been tracking dark men and their darker allies who had begun infiltrating northern human settlements and were moving perilously near to the Shire.  The Rangers’ leader was one well known to Gandalf.

It was in keeping with the news that Bilbo and Gandalf had received in Rivendell a month ago, of a darkness spreading. 

“I am most alarmed with the news you tell of these people nearing the Shire,” Bilbo said in not much more than a whisper. 

“As I presumed, dear Bilbo,” Gandalf answered.  The Rangers have promised me that they will guard the Shire’s borders.  I have given your name to the leader of the Rangers, a Dunedain of the north.  He will bring word to you of any threat to which the Shire must take action, should there be such a need.  In fact, I would like for you to meet up with him at the Grey Havens on the last day of February to hear his report in person.”

Bilbo nodded in agreement before coming to an abrupt realization.  “I’ve agreed to keep Frodo ‘till spring, Gandalf.  I guess I must send him back to Buckland now.  I was a fool, as I'm certain you would agree, to bring him here in the first place with my grandiose ideas of what I can teach him.” 

“I think you can stick by your promise to educate him this winter,” Gandalf quickly countered.  “You need not to be gone for an extended length.  No more than a few weeks, I should think.  I’m certain you can find someone to look after him for that brief time.”  He suddenly grinned mischievously.  “Perhaps those Sackville-Baggins cousins of yours who you often say want nothing better than to be in Bag End – you know I jest, of course,” he rapidly assured upon Bilbo’s glowering reaction. 

Bilbo wasn’t so sure.  Swiftly convincing himself that Frodo would be underfoot and a constant irritant to him, he found himself pleased to have such an easy ready-made out given to him.

Gandalf, however, was beginning to think that it would be extremely good for Bilbo to take on such a significant responsibility for awhile.  He decided to encourage him by pointing out that it was for only a short time-period.  “I will stay at Bag End until the New Year, Bilbo.  I’ll even help you start Frodo in his lessons.  It will give me a chance to see for myself what he is capable of, so you won’t be able to exaggerate his abilities to me later.”

“I would never exaggerate, Gandalf,” protested his hobbit host, for in his opinion he never did.

As he waited for Frodo to arise, Gandalf smoked at the sitting room fireplace, thinking of Bilbo’s folly in taking in so young a hobbit.  Fond as he was of Bilbo, the wizard knew he was not the kind of hobbit to whom family life appealed in the least.  Throughout the history of the Shire folk, Gandalf had selected choice hobbits to set off on adventures to broaden their minds and keep the charmingly innocent race from becoming too isolated and reclusive for its own good.  Bilbo Baggins, however, had embraced the adventurous life more fully than any hobbit preceding him, to the point where he had nearly abandoned many of the values hobbits held dear.

So why would an old bachelor and adventurer suddenly burden himself with a child?  Gandalf suspected that Frodo embodied something which Bilbo greatly valued.  He was determined to see what that might be.

Frodo – Gandalf again pondered the lad’s name.  Hobbits’ names were seldom grand.  As Bilbo had indicated, the name was most likely of very simple origin.  Yet Gandalf found himself thinking about the legend of King Frodi.  Frodi had lived before the wizards came to Middle Earth, and had been king of a small tribe of men who had first settled in the Realm of Arnor before eventually moving south into Minhiriath and beyond.  The abandoned lands of the lost realm had later been chosen by the halfling folk.  By curious coincidence, the Shire now sat at the very center of what had once been Arnor. 

King Frodi had been reputed to have been the noblest of all of the kings of his time, the fairest of heart and the keenest of mind. The nine rings of power had been forged during his reign, and Frodi was the only king of men to refuse the offering to wear one.  He had stated that he believed such power was not necessary to lead his people effectively.  So he had not been caught in the corruption and horrendous downfall which took the hearts of the nine who did accept them. 

Rings – that coincidental thought brought Gandalf back to Bilbo.  Bilbo had a magic ring of unknown origin which he had found in the goblin caves of the Misty Mountains on his way to the Lonely Mountain.  He had initially hidden the true story behind his obtaining the ring, although Gandalf had later managed to force the truth from him.  It had been the first time that Bilbo had exhibited any semblance of deception, and it had long troubled Gandalf.  The otherwise trustful hobbit could become irrationally defensive in any armillary discussion.

And the nowadays unconventional Bilbo had now selected a young hobbit to bring into his own home and train to his own liking.  Gandalf knew that Bilbo had never shown the slightest interest in educating Lotho Sackville-Baggins, or any of his other relations of that generation.  Again Gandalf wondered what it was about Frodo that had attracted Bilbo’s attention.  For anyone else but Bilbo Baggins, the answer of pity for an orphan might have been arguable.  Such magnanimity, however, did not seem to fit the rather persnickety hobbit that Bilbo had become.

Gandalf found himself awaiting Frodo’s waking with unusual anticipation.                                                                         

*

“He’s out of bed,” Bilbo reported.  “He’ll be in shortly.  We’ll begin his lessons and you can see how clever he is.”

The wizard smiled.  “Is there someone with whom Frodo can study?   One of your gardener’s children, for instance.”

Bilbo frowned.  “I cannot imagine the Gaffer agreeing to it.  He’d call it flummadiddle.”

“Then perhaps Lotho,” Gandalf slyly suggested. 

Bilbo’s frown curled into a sneer.  “I’ll take it up with Master Hamfast.”

Indeed, Bilbo was able to convince his gardener to let both Hamson and Halfred study. He pledged to limit the Gamgee lads' lessons to the letters, spellings and grammar of the common speech and some simple counting, which he explained would serve them well in learning any trade practiced in Hobbiton.  The Gaffer was conveniently caught off guard since he was in the process of delivering a bundle of Bilbo’s clothing his wife had altered for Frodo.  Bilbo’s suggestion appeared simply a gracious and appropriate response under the circumstances and consequently Hamfast Gamgee found himself in the awkward position where he couldn’t politely refuse the offer.

Although he agreed to Bilbo’s offer, the Gaffer left Bag End with thoughts of many things he would have preferred to receive in exchange.

*

TBC

 






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List