Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Inklings of Frodo's Youth  by Aunt Dora

A Morning Post

S.R. 2 Blotmath, 1388

The next morning, as Frodo slept, Bilbo penned a quick letter to give to the Messenger:

“Dearest Cousin Dora,” it read.  “I have significant and sad news!  I know that it has been some years since you last spoke with your brother Drogo.  I have just learned of his untimely death, along with that of his wife, in a boating accident on the Brandywine River some eight years ago.   I extend to you my sincerest sympathy in your loss.

“I have had the opportunity to get to know Drogo’s son!  His name is Frodo and he is just the sweetest and brightest twenty-year-old you could ever wish to meet.  I am bringing him to Bag End for the winter.  We are experiencing a delay in Frogmorton, but I expect that we will arrive in Hobbiton on the tenth.  Please send announcements to all the family for me to let them know that I will be holding a long-belated party of introduction in Frodo’s honor the afternoon of the fourteenth, at three.  I trust you know all of their addresses as well as you know mine.

“I am sure that you will find Frodo every bit as agreeable as I have.  He is a credit to Drogo’s memory, and to the name of Baggins.

“All my love, Bilbo.”

*

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List