Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Celeritas' Birthday Bash 2009  by Celeritas

“Congratulations,” said Meriadoc son of Saradoc, walking over to him as soon as the coronation feast was dismissed.

“There are a good many things for which I may be congratulated,” said Faramir, “thanks to the King’s good graces.” If Halflings began their conversations without preamble, he would follow suit. “For which in particular were you wishing me well, or was the sentiment intended to be general only?”

“Oh, it was most certainly particular,” replied Merry, “and it was for the only thing that actually matters.”

Faramir thought a moment. “Have you heard already, then?”

“Heavens! You were kissing her in full daylight in the gardens, and you think news hasn’t gotten around?”

“I try,” said Faramir mildly, “to have faith in the decorum of the people of Minas Tirith.”

Merry chuckled. “It must be faith, for it isn’t placed on any reason that I can see. But I am happy, Lord Faramir, genuinely happy, that you have managed to win the Lady Éowyn to your heart.” He sighed. “She needed someone, so very badly, for all that I could see from my height. It does me good to know that you have done that.”

“Then I am glad,” said Faramir, “to know that the match meets with your approval.”

“It had better, considering the part I had in it! However, I should warn you: if you ever do anything to her that makes her regret her choice to marry you, I shall take it upon myself to exact justice. Lord Faramir, if you ever break her heart, so help me, I shall break your neck.”

Faramir had to think a moment before deciding how to respond to this. Eventually he bowed gravely before the hobbit. “And I should justly deserve it,” he said. “However, I must warn you that in such a situation you would be third in line to do me harm, after the White Lady herself and the King of Rohan.”

“I shall bear that in mind,” said Merry. “I just wanted to have that matter settled. Enjoy the rest of the revelries!” And with that, Meriadoc of the Shire bowed before him and left, and in all their conversations afterwards never brought up the matter again. Faramir was rather relieved that they never had need to.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List