Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Two Brothers  by Lady_Roisin

Tindalómë’s body jerked sharply as she was forcefully yanked from her sleep for a reason she could not explain. The room was calm and Tindalómë could hear nothing but the sound of sea birds and the waves of the ocean. Her hands reached out by sheer instinct for her husband, but found only a cold space where his body normally rested. It wasn’t the first time it happened since Tindalómë’s arrival in this place beyond the Circles of the World. This was supposed to be their paradise, their long awaited reward. Yet Isildur’s mind remained troubled even though he was no longer a prisoner of his earthly body, a shell subjected to shame, age, and illness.

Her hands glided over the fabric of a robe she covered her body with. Tindalómë did not even have to think to know where her Isildur was. Just as she predicted, Isildur stood along the shoreline, gazing out as far as he could see. Even from where she stood, Tindalómë could feel her husband’s anxieties.  No matter how much she, or their sons, tried to reassure him, Isildur would not cease the endless search of the horizon, or allow his spirit to be at peace. Sometimes she wondered, and even feared, Isildur’s search would never end.  Tindalómë had hoped the arrival of Valandil and his gift of forgiveness towards his father would help to bring about the peace Isildur needed. He now had everything he could possibly want here in this beautiful realm, but Isildur’s search carried on.

One successor after another arrived, struck down long before their time. With each of their stories, Tindalómë could see more of the light leave her Isildur’s eyes. So many had come to this place, yet none brought the news of hope that her beloved yearned for so desperately. Isildur had wept in her arms more than once, and Tindalómë was terrified that his own fear and hopelessness would consume him entirely in those very moments. Somehow her deep love had kept Isildur from tumbling over the brink of madness and despair. After awhile, Isildur no longer looked towards the horizon for hope. He withdrew into himself, hiding from even his own family.

Tindalómë closed the distance between Isildur and herself before wrapping her arms around his waist and resting the side of her face upon his back. She came to learn that words were sometimes unnecessary during these times when Isildur stood at the water’s edge. Tindalómë could feel Isildur interlace his fingers with hers.

“Come back to bed, meleth nín. All will seem so much clearer with the rising of the sun.”

Usually Isildur protested, but this night her husband allowed Tindalómë to gently pull him back towards their home by the sea. Much to Tindalómë’s relief sleep came quickly to her beloved once they settled in to enjoy the peace of the evening. Before long, the sound of night birds and insects lulled Tindalómë into a state of rest, in her dreams she visited other lands within this paradise made by Eru for his faithful children. But Tindalómë’s journeys were brought to a grinding halt when Elendur’s shouts roused her.

“A ship approaches! Come see at once!”

Isildur sprang from the bed and peered out the window before hurriedly throwing clothes onto his body.  Tindalómë could see the brilliant white sails set against the blue sky, her heart raced once she noticed the black standard emblazoned with the white tree and seven stars. Isildur already waited upon the quays for the great ship and Tindalómë hurried her pace to join him. She could feel her husband squeeze her hand once he reached for it. A man that bore a similar appearance to their eldest son stood near the prow of the boat. Tindalómë’s eyes went to the woman standing beside the regal looking man and gasped. Even from her vantage point, she was the most beautiful woman Tindalómë had ever laid eyes upon.  She turned her head to the side as Isildur squeezed her hand tighter. They turned so their faces met and Tindalómë could see the unshed tears of joy and relief within her Isildur’s eyes. Tindalómë could feel a lump rise to her own throat as she learned forward to place a kiss upon her husband’s brow.

“At last, our hope has arrived. Let us go forth and greet your heir.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List