Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Two Brothers  by Lady_Roisin

Adar's New Ship

This story is dedicated to Larner, Inzilbeth, and Suzil. I wrote it as a birthday gift to all three who have been wonderful friends to me and a source of support and encouragement. Happy birthday ladies!

------------------------------------

Isildur’s hand went up to shield his eyes from the bright afternoon sun. He gazed out towards the sails of the new ship and smiled proudly. A tug upon his hand distracted him from his proud reverie.

"Uncle, can we go on it?"

Anárion’s eldest daughter looked up at him with large gray eyes; a look Anariel seemed to know would always work on him. A wide grin came to Isildur’s face and he lifted his young niece into his arms.

"Of course we may, hên vuin. After all, I shall need your approval to be sure it is a fitting gift for your Adar."

Anariel giggled while Isildur ruffled her burnished gold hair. He took care while ascending the plank and stepping onto the new vessel. Anariel’s eyes were wide with wonder and Isildur could not help but chuckle softly when she tipped her head back as far as her neck would allow in order to see the tallest point of the masts.

"Uncle what are those tall trees doing on a ship?"

"They are what we call masts," Isildur explained with a warm smile. "Although, you are very wise to observe them as such for they were once great trees."

Anariel’s eyes opened wider and Isildur could see her young mind attempting to put together the logic of his words. "Are they even taller than Grandfather?"

"Yes, of course, "Isildur laughed. "It would take a tree atleast four times as tall as your grandfather to be a good mast for a ship. And they must be very strong to withstand all the trials they must go through."

Isildur placed his niece onto her feet while keeping a firm hold upon her small hand. He held her steady as her small body teetered back and forth a bit in an attempt to get used to the minimal sway of the docked ship. Before long she pulled him towards a folded sail.

"What is this used for, Uncle?"

Isildur’s hand reached out to run along the fresh cloth. "It is a sail. These help the ship to move at a faster pace."

"How fast?"

Isildur looked down to meet his niece’s inquisitive gaze, "This fast."

Hs mischievous grin served as the only warning before he scooped Anariel up into his arms and held her aloft while he raced in a circle around the center of the ship. His antics earned him more than a handful of shrieks and laughter. Isildur could not help but join in with his own mirth while watching his niece fail her arms about like some frantic young bird attempting to take flight. Anárion would surely hurry into a panic if he saw his older brother’s game. Sometimes Isildur could not help but smirk at the way his younger brother would go to such extremes to protect his only child. Without a doubt, the presence of a firstborn daughter had softened Anárion’s staunch, firm, demeanor.

Isildur could clearly remember how Anárion would never be any more than two steps behind Anariel while she learned to crawl about as an infant. He was an even bigger worried mess once Anariel managed to pull herself upright on her stubby little legs and take her first cautious steps. At first, Isildur had chided his brother for marrying so young. But Anárion’s bride, Anúviel, seemed to bring her husband out of his colder approach. The birth of their daughter came barely a year after their wedding, but the house of Amandil seemed to carry renewed joy within its halls due to Anariel’s presence.

Isildur lowered his niece once she reduced herself shrieks to breathless laughter. "What do you think, hên vuin, is the ship to your liking?"

The small girl nodded with a wide grin, sending her reddish gold curls bouncing while she continued to giggle happily. "I love it, Uncle! Now may I have one too since I said so? I want a ship of my own also!"

"Ah, your humble spirit shines through once more," Isildur murmured after laughing out loud. He carried Anariel over to a bench and sat his niece beside him, his arm draped around her small form.

"First you want a sword, and then this very morning you decided you wanted a pony. Now you have added a ship to that list. Who is to know what the future may hold for you, hên vuin."

Isildur smiled to feel Anariel lean against his side. His face turned to look down at her when she spoke.

"What is it like to be a mariner, Uncle? Is it very grand like in the stories Naneth and Ada tell me?"

Isildur’s eyes turned out towards the Bay of Rómenna and he smiled. "Aye, hên vuin, it is grand to be out on the open sea with nothing but the wind at your back and the opportunity to explore new lands ahead of you. But it is not an occupation without great dangers. The one known as Ossë dwells near the shores and he delights in the making of storms and violent waves. But his lady protects us from her lord’s wild fury. Tell me, hên vuin, do you know her name?"

Anariel grinned wide, "Her name is Uinen, and her hair lies throughout all the waters of the world. Great grandfather sings a song about her to me sometimes. It is very pretty and I would like to know it."

"Well, then I shall teach you," Isildur murmured happily as he leaned down to drop a kiss upon the top of his niece’s head. "And you must always keep that song near to your heart, especially while we are away and sing it often for us. But for now I must ask you another favor, my dear child."

Anariel’s head looked up so that Isildur could see into her inquisitive eyes. "What is that, Uncle?"

Isildur’s smile grew wider as he lifted his niece and placed her upon his lap. "Tel me hên vuin, how would you feel about having an aunt?"

He watched Anariel’s face scrunch slightly in thought before the happy grin returned. "I think I would like that very much. But how would you get me an aunt?"

Isildur’s eyes flicked towards Rómenna, his eyes coming to rest upon a large storehouse near the quays before returning his gaze to his niece. "I asked Tindalómë to be my wife and both she and her father have given me their consent. What say you to that choice, hên vuin?"

A short silence ensued while Anariel seemed to contemplate Isildur’s announcement, but a wide smile lit up her face and Anariel clapped her hands happily. "I like it very much!"

Isildur smiled and embraced Anariel tightly. For some reason he always found a sense of comfort in being able to confide in his young niece. Maybe it was her simple honesty, or the fact she still viewed the world through innocent eyes. He had yet to tell anyone else besides Amandil of his decision, and Isildur was certain the rest of the family had given up on the idea that he would ever chose a bride. Offers came in the past, but none felt right to him, atleast not until he met Tindalómë, the daughter of one of Rómenna’s oldest mariner families. While not of a noble blood, Tindalómë’s family had earned their wealth and prestige through becoming great mariners and traders. Tindalómë’s father became a good friend of Amandil, and it was through that friendship that fate was allowed to work. Isildur knew he had his grandfather’s approval of the betrothal, but Isildur still could not erase all his anxieties when it came to making the announcement to the rest of the household. However, Anariel’s joy over the news served to ease them. If she could give her blessing, then surely the others would as well.

"Well, I am very happy indeed to have your approval, hên vuin," Isildur spoke as he lifted Anariel back into his arms. "But I must return you to your mother’s care before she begins to worry that I have carried you off to the other side of Númenor. "

"Oh, must we go, "a tinge of whining could be heard in Anariel’s voice, indicating her growing weariness to Isildur. "You have not taught me the song yet!"

"Be at peace, hên vuin, for I have not forgotten." Isildur murmured soothingly as he carried Anariel from the ship and back onto the quays. Once they reached solid ground Isildur began to sing in his mellow baritone voice a familiar song mariners sang at sea, the lyrics beseeching Uinen to show her protection and safe passage over the water. The melody rolled like the waves on a calm afternoon and before long Isildur could feel the grip of Anariel’s arms loosen around his neck. Her head leaned heavily against his shoulder by the time Isildur reached the stairs leading up to Amandil’s house. He could already see Anárion awaiting their arrival.

"Thank you, hên vuin," Isildur whispered before ascending the steps. He placed a light kiss upon Anariel’s cheek before relinquishing her to her father’s waiting arms. The phrase hên vuin means "beloved child" in Sindarin. According to The Valaquenta, Ossë and Uinen were Maiar in service of Ulmo. More information about them can be found in Valaquenta. According to the text in The Silmarillion, it says mariners would often cry out to Uinen to protect them and their ships. I thought it only natural that the Númenórean mariners would have many songs in reverence to her.

Author’s Notes:





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List