Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Tales of Two Brothers  by Lady_Roisin

Elendur's Hero

Isildur’s attention was suddenly drawn away from his book when he heard the sounds of shouting. The five year old voice of his son was unmistakable and Isildur was on his feet without wasting another second. Elendur’s voice grew more frantic with each passing moment and Isildur began to fear the worst. The hallway seemed entirely too long to traverse in a panicked state, even with the full strides of Isildur’s long legs. A door that was normally closed lay wide open. Isildur could see the shadows of his son’s body dance upon the floor while Elendur darted back and forth in an attempt to evade his imaginary foes. The ceramic pot in which the seedling of Nimloth grew sat in the center of the room where the sunlight from the many high windows could reach it. 

Elendur extended a wooden sword in front of him as he waved it from side to side. I his other hand he held a half eaten apple, the exposed interior already browned from being exposed to the outside air. The boy looked over his shoulder and flashed his father a grin that was already missing a few baby teeth.

“Look, Ada! I am defending Nimloth just like you did!”

Isildur’s lips half upturned in a wry smile while he inwardly released a sigh of relief. He was still getting used to his son’s exuberant games; although he should have guessed Elendur was defending their household against more imaginary foes.

“And who told you I did such a thing, my son?”

“Naneth told me so,” Elendur announced with pride as he ran to his father’s side.”I was eating the apple when I remembered the story she told me. Someday I want to be a brave hero and a protector of the just.”

Isildur could not help but release a low chuckle as he easily lifted his small son. “Well then, if you wish to be a courageous hero, my son, then you must be sure to do all that your Naneth bids you to do and pay close attention to all your lessons.”

Elendur scrunched up his face as if a foul scent suddenly invaded his nostrils. “If you say so Ada.”

Isildur smiled and gently ruffled his son’s dark hair before placing him back onto his feet and nudged him gently towards his mother who now stood in the doorway of the room. The boy ran to her and happily clutched at Tindalómë’s skirts. “Ada says I can be a hero too, and someday I’ll protect all of us from the bad monsters too!”

Tindalómë laughed as she met her husband’s gaze, a slight blush turned her cheeks a soft pink. “It would seem we’ve gotten a bit carried away with the bedtime stories as of late.”

Author's Note: According to Tolkien, Elendur was Isildur's eldest son, born in Numenor in the year 3299. The account of Isildur stealing a fruit from Nimloth before the tree is burned can be found in Akallabeth of The Silmarillion. I am currently working on a story concerning the incident with Isildur and the fruit from Nimloth called "Fruit of Life", and it shall be posted soon. The story will be based off canon events as well as my own perspective of missing details.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List