Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Inspiration  by Antane

Chapter Four: Arwen and Aragorn

A/N:  As will be the case in all chapters probably, a bit of the Red Book is quoted herein.

Galadriel looked at Aragon as the Company prepared to depart the fair land of Lorien. She gave him as a parting gift the sheath to fit the re-forged Sword, Anduril. "But is there aught else that you desire of me at our parting? For darkness will flow between us, and it may be that we shall not meet again, unless it be far hence upon a road that has no returning."

Aragorn looked at her, the fair foremother of his beloved Arwen. "Lady, you know all my desire, and long held in keeping the only treasure I seek. Yet it is not yours to give me even if you would; and only through darkness shall I come to it."

"Yet maybe this will lighten your heart, for it was left in my care to be given to you, should you pass through this land."

She handed the man the brooch that had long been in her family, handed down from daughter to daughter. "Now it comes to you as a token of hope."

The Company wondered at the remarkable change that came over the man as he pinned the green stone to his cloak, over the heart that beat in the hope of coming through the present darkness that threatened to swamp all of the world and once through it, wedding the one who had captured that heart so long ago. He looked young again and kingly and Frodo remembered how Aragorn had looked when they had stood at the foot of Cerin Amroth. The man had spoken words of love aloud to someone the Ring-bearer had been unable to see, but was sure that Aragorn saw with the eyes of his heart as easily as the hobbit saw his cousins or his Sam. He felt some kindred spirit bind them for they were both toiling for protect those they loved. There was still light left even though the shadows were deepening. It was another memory Frodo stored away.

Aragorn saw that light in his heart and held it before him as a beacon to follow through the dark night that was ahead. As long as it was there, shining brightly for him, he could go on for it was ever leading him onward, protecting him, shielding him. He wrapped himself in that light as he would a cloak and the love that was given in the gift was a warmth around him that kept the cold dark from coming to steal all hope away.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List