Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Many Meetings  by lwarren

                                                                   MANY MEETINGS

Summary:  The royal family has an outing in the Greenwood.

Disclaimer:  The major characters and settings of these stories belong to JRR Tolkien.  I do not own them, nor do I make any profit from using them in the stories.

A/N:  This ficlet was written in response to Prompt #39 (Cradle), issued by the aragorn-legolas yahoo group.   

CHAPTER 1:  In the Arms of Love

The King walked among this special gathering of beloved subjects, greeting each personally with a gentle touch or soft word.  As he moved among them, a whispering, rustling murmur followed in his wake as each stately courtier clamored for his attention.

How he loved each and every one of them!  Loyal and loving, steadfast and true – small wonder Thranduil Oropherion and his followers, both Silvan and Sindarin, gladly pledged their lives to the care of the trees of the Greenwood.

He found a small clearing carpeted with new grass and delicate yellow flowers and turned to address his adoring audience.

“I have a surprise for you, my friends,” he announced, his steel-gray eyes softening as he examined the magnificent beeches surrounding him.  “Someone I want you to meet.”

Thranduil paused, savoring the anticipation building around him.  “I will return before Anor sets this eve.”  He bowed slightly in honor of these eldest of trees and returned to his stronghold to prepare for the evening.

The day wound to its close finally as word swept through the wood that Oropherion returned – and he was not alone.  Another they loved, and had not seen of late, accompanied him and the forest joyfully welcomed their King and Queen.

Thranduil paused beneath one of the giants ringing the clearing and leaped gracefully onto the lower branches, turning to smile down at his wife waiting below.  He held out a hand and helped her join him, steadying her ascent carefully as he knew she still tired easily.  The two made their way to a higher perch, Thranduil seating his wife at last on a wide, sturdy branch.  She lifted the blanket covering the sling resting across her shoulders and both leaned forward to gaze at the wide-eyed, curious infant within.  Exchanging a smile with his wife, the King took the babe up in his arms, stepping forward on the branch to present the heir of the Greenwood for the first time.

“Here now is my son,” he stated proudly.  “His name shall be Legolas, which means Greenleaf.”

Thranduil paused as the child kicked and gurgled, as if in greeting.  Drawing the infant close, he kissed the soft, downy cheek and continued in a voice tight with emotion, “This scion of my house shall join me as a guardian to all who would call Eryn Galen iDhaer home.”

Then, sitting with his back against the bole of the huge tree, Thranduil settled his wife comfortably in his lap with their newborn son safely wrapped in their arms.  The old beech’s sturdy branches formed a loving cradle for the little family as they watched the stars and listened to the song of the trees throughout the long night.

A/N:  Fiondil doesn't know it, but thanks to his knowledge of the elves, I have corrected Eryn Lasgalen to Eryn Galen iDhaer - I usually write in the Fourth Age, so sometimes the different titles of Greenwood escape me!  :-)  Thanks, Fiondil.  I continue to glean all manner of information from your wonderful stories.

                                                   





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List