Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Garden of Dreams and Memories, Part 2  by Soledad

This is sort of a sequel to “Garden of Dreams and Memories”, and just like its predecessor, it deals with somebody being released from the halls of Mandos and the differences between Maian and Elven interpretation of incarnate life and death – and, before all else, love.

Knowing the first part - and related stories - is not strictly necessary but can be helpful, so if you want to get the whole picture, you can read them on the TFF site. They would be:

The Dying Stone, which is posted to this archive, too:

http://www.tolkienfanfiction.com/Story_Read_Head.php?STid=387

Rated G

Sons of Twilight and Starligt

http://www.tolkienfanfiction.com/Story_Read_Head.php?STid=550

Rated Teens because of disturbing images related to war.

Garden of Dreams and Memories 1

http://www.tolkienfanfiction.com/Story_Read_Head.php?STid=551

Rated G.

The Return of the Minstrel

http://www.tolkienfanfiction.com/Story_Read_Head.php?STid=509

The last three stories can't be read here on this site because of the rules, but as you can see, they're all low-rated, so I hope nobody who klicks on the links will find anything offensive. But sensitivities are different from person to person, so read at your own discretion.

There is an awful lot of footnotes, because I decided to use the Valarin version of the names of the Valar (in case Ardalambion had one ready). It was an attempt to create atmosphere, as Melian was most likely think in the tongue of her own kin. Sorry if it makes reading more difficult.

The descriptions are based on the early Silmarillion draft in “The Lost Road” (HoME 5).

My sincerest thanks go to Finch for beta reading.

Names and notes:

(1) Earlier name for the Vala Irmo.

(2) The name of Manwë in the tongue of Valinor (according to the Ardalambion).

(3) The Aratari, the lead Valar (Valarin).

(4) Silver-flower in Valarin – an original name I chose for Melian. Not a genuine Tolkien invention.

(5) Ainur in Valarin (Not sure that the plural is correctly given, though).

(6) The Vala Oromë (Valarin).

(7) Tentative attempt to give Yavanna a Valarin name. Supposed meaning: “Leaf-green”.

(8) Valarin name of Telperion – it is supposed to mean “Silver-flower leaf-green”.

(9) A very early name for Cuiviénen.

(10) The Teleri, as they called themselves.

(11) Ossë (Valarin).

(12) Ulmo (Valarin).

(13) The Sun (Valarin).

(14) The Moon (Valarin).

(15) The feeble attempt to create a Valarin version of the name Fionwë (called Eönwë in the final scripts), the herald of Manwë. To his voluntary stay in Mandos see “Garden of Dreams and Memories, Part 1” and “Sons of Twilight and Starlight”.

(16) In my stories Oropher is the eldest son of Thingol’s brother, Elmö.

(17) Beleg was considered an Ilkorin Elf by Tolkien at some point. I simply assumed that Ilkorin Elves would tan. Feel free to disagree with me.

(18) “appointed dwelling” = Arda (Valarin)

(19) For further details see “Sons of Twilight and Starlight”.

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List