Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Harpist's Redemption  by Coreinha

Disclaimer: I don't own any of this, I'm not making any money.

A/N: Ok, I know what this looks like, but it is NOT, I repeat NOT a M/S, or a romance fic. I just wanted to show how contented their lives were and that they've moved on with their lives, instead of mooning over the loss of Aragorn and Arwen and the rest. No worries, mellyn nin, after this chappie, the wives and kids will only make a few appearances. I promise *g*

Now, I owe Bill the Pony and Etharei a HUGE apology, I had originally written a prologue, which was basically a summary of the Silmarillion, and decided not to use it after all. Of course, I decided this AFTER they beta'd and did some fact checking for me, lol. So guys, I'm sorry, you are the first official winners of the 'Non-prize'.

May you treasure it always.

Secondly, big thanks to Eleni, who beta'd this chappie for me, as my regular beta, Trin is off on vacation. *mutters stupid people having fun on vacation while I'm working my butt off*

Just so you know, this fic takes place in the modern day and age, which will become readily apparent in the next chappie, but I wanted to start off with action, so I hope you can all forgive me.

Boy, this is a LOT of blah blah today.

Anyways, here we go!

ON with the fic!

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

Elladan stretched luxoriously in his bed, enjoying the peace and quiet of the early morning.

On his right, his wife, Amariel, was just awakening. She sighed, and snuggled closer, like him, seeking just a few more moments of rest.

"Ada!! Nana!! Time to wake up!!"

Small hands tugged at his, and Elladan rolled over and looked into the grinning face of his son.

"Thorongil, the sun has barely risen, what is it?"

"Thelren said she's hungry."

Elladan groaned inwardly. "It's too early for breakfast, we will eat with your grandparents and uncle this morning, remember?"

"Oh yeah..." Thorongil trailed off, looking at his father hopefully.

Elladan sighed, and made room, "Come on then."

The elfling smiled in delight, and crawled up into his parents warm bed, snuggling down between them.

Elladan had almost dozed off again when he felt a small knee land right in his stomach, he grunted and sat up reflexively, only to stare in the face of his Thorongil's twin sister, Thelren.

"Lonely?" He asked softly, not wanting to disturb Amariel.

She nodded mutely, so he scooped her up, and tucked her under his arm, where she curled up happily.

Elladan grunted when her bony knee connected with his ribs, then sighed once again, thinking that his children were going to pay him back for everything he and his own twin had ever done.

As he was finally drifting back off to sleep, a sudden sense of impending doom filled his senses, sending chills up and down his spine.

All four sat up straight in bed, and the twins burst into tears.

Elladan exchanged a wide-eyed look with Amariel, "What was that?"

~*~

Elrohir was in a state of pure bliss.

He had been married only recently, as opposed to his brother who had been wed for 20 years now.

He and his wife of 2 years, Laireiel, were lying comfortably in their bed, having a quiet conversation in the early morning light.

She had her dark head on his bare chest, and he was resting a hand on her swollen abdomen.

They were trying to decide what to name the little one that would be arriving soon.

"Nothing I can think of seems right, Elrohir." She sighed, as he gently rubbed her belly where the babe began kicking furiously.

"Perhaps when we finally see him..."

"Or her!" Laireiel interjected playfully.

"Or her, the name will come to us." Elrohir sighed contentedly, and kissed the top of her head affectionately.

"Perhaps." She sighed agreeably, and simply enjoyed the comfort of his arms for a moment longer, before a thought occured to her.

"Oh! Elrohir, we are supposed to have breakfast with your family this morning!" She sat up awkwardly, and slid off the edge of the bed.

Elrohir grinned, it would be good to see them, even better to see his niece and nephew torment his brother. "I had forgotten about that."

He looked down at himself. He was stark naked, as was his wife, who was currently rummaging about in the closet. "Well, I suppose we should get dressed then." He rolled out of bed with a great deal more grace than Laireiel, though she could be forgiven that particular deficiency, as she was due to give birth any day now.

Elrohir ducked and grinned as she playfully tossed a pair of breeches at him.

Pulling them on, he walked over to where she was dragging a chemise over her head, and nipped her ear playfully.

"None of that, Master Elf, we are late as it is!" But she grinned at him affectionately, nonetheless.

"Very well," Elrohir sighed in mock resignation, before pressing a tender kiss to her cheek, then her belly. "I'm going to wash up."

As he reached for the door, his lithe body stiffened, and he spun around to look at his wife.

Her brilliant blue eyes were wide in horror, and she clutched her pregnant belly close.

"Get dressed, meleth nin, I think we need to get out of this house."

~*~

Legolas blinked slowly in the early morning light, then looked down at his chest.

On one side, his wife, Annunelleth had her fiery red head resting on his shoulder, her pale lashes resting against her cheeks in an exhausted sleep.

On the other side, Faenrin, his daughter, was plastered against him, her blue eyes, an exact copy of his own were staring blankly at his arm.

He smiled, and pulled them both closer for a second, before carefully rising to attend to the stringent call of nature that had awoken him. In his wake, Faenrin snuggled against Anunnelleth's abdomen.

'She is already beginning to show,' He thought absently as he unfastened his sleeping pants. 'Eru help me if she is having twins, I have seen the trouble Elladan's pair gives him!'

Legolas was just refastening his breeches when he felt a cold chill run down his spine, a sensation he had not felt in centuries.

His brow furrowed in concern, and he stepped back into the bedroom, to check on his wife and daughter. They were both sitting up straight in bed, Annunelleth trying to comfort Faenrin who was in a state of pure panic.

"Nana!! Nana, the dark man is coming! He's coming!! I SAW him!" The child was gasping for air, and shaking all over, Annunelleth's own face was pale, as she tried to comfort her daughter.

"Hush now, hush, little squirrel, everything is alright!" Annunelleth was shivering herself, as she held Faenrin against her bosom, trying desperately to to calm both the child, and herself.

Legolas crossed the room in a two long strides, and climbed up on the bed beside them, gathering both up against his chest. "Alright, it's alright now. I'm here, we're together, I'll always protect you both."

He was still clutching them to his chest when a tremor rocked the room, all three froze.

It lasted only a few moments, and knocked some things off the shelves.

When it had passed, Legolas gathered up his daughter in his arms, "Anni, grab the dog, we are getting out of here!"

Faenrin clung to Legolas as he ran down the halls, Anni and the dog, aptly named Cell-hu*, following close behind.

As he reached for the front door, a second tremor shook the entire house, knocking all of them off their feet. Cell-hu began growling and pacing, often snarling at thin air, before backing protectively against his family.

Whatever it was the dog was sensing, the little family could feel it to a lesser degree. Legolas rolled to his feet gracefully, having never once released his daughter, and helped Anni to her feet.

The door had been knocked off it's hinges, and Legolas set Faenrin down long enough to help Anni through the mess, then passed the elfling to her mother.

He shoved the still growling dog through next, before finally climbing through himself.

Outside, all of Valinor was in an uproar. Houses were on fire, elves screaming and crying all around him. Legolas could see many were wounded, and many others were dead.

Those that could walk were helping those that couldn't, and all were heading toward the interior of the island.

Anni was still clutching Faenrin to her chest, when Cell-hu simply took off running in the opposite direction, straight toward the pier. Legolas was inclined to let him go, but one look at his daughters panic-stricken face as she called after her beloved dog changed his mind.

"Anni, take Faenrin, and follow the others, I'll get Cell-hu, and find you there!" She nodded, no stranger to dangerous situations.

Annunelleth had been a soldier for the Lady Galadriel for many years before the War of the Ring, and knew how to handle herself. Legolas trusted that she would keep their daughter safe, as he ran after the accursed dog.

~*~

Elladan was just helping Thorongil get dressed when the first tremor shook their home. Crouching down, he braced himself against the wall, and clutched his son to his chest until it passed. Then he quickly fastened the last buckles on Thorongil's pants, and half-led, half-dragged his son out into the hallway.

Amariel was already there, her fair face paler than usual. Thelren's dress was slightly askew, but no one paid it any heed as they ran out of the house.

Once outside, it was eerily calm, most folks were clearly still in bed

Elladan wasted no time, gathering up his son, while Amariel scooped their daughter, "Let's head for the interior of the island, it should be safer there!"

The family stepped forward, and a second tremor shook the island, this one much stronger.

Elves began to pour out of their homes now, as the walls and roofs began caving in around them.

Elladan saw many trapped and helpless, so he set his son down, "Amariel, take Thorongil and Thelren to the interior, I'm going to see if I can help here!"

Amariel nodded mutely, and taking each of the children by the hand, she ran as fast as possible.

Elladan began helping a family out of one of the collapsed houses. Just as he set the last elfling safely on the ground, a dog ran past him, nearly colliding into his knees.

Not far behind the dog was Legolas, carrying a length of rope, and calling to the dog desperately.

"Legolas! Mellon nin, leave the dog!"

The Prince paused, and gave Elladan a withering look. "I cannot, you know how attached Faenrin is to him! Help me catch him, it will be faster!"

Elladan looked around, there were enough Elves helping those who needed it now, so he nodded, and followed Legolas and Cell-hu with a sigh.

~*~

Elrohir, like his brother, had wasted no time from that first sense of danger. He helped Laireiel into a comfortable gown, buttoning it up the back for her. He then donned the first shirt he saw, slipped a small dagger into his boot, and helped his very pregnant wife out the door.

They were walking toward Elrond's house when the first tremor struck, knocking them both off their feet.

Elrohir carefully pulled Laireiel to her feet, and they continued on until the second tremor struck, and elves began running past them.

He saw Amariel and the twins running right at them, and waited for them impatiently.

"We are heading toward the center of Valinor, Elladan thinks it will be safest there." Amariel was gasping for air, and the elflings were clinging to her, clearly terrified.

"Where is my brother?"

"Back in the village, a lot of homes have been destroyed, he's helping people escape them."

Elrohir nodded, "Does he need help?"

"Probably." Amariel pried Thelrin's fingers from her own, and Laireiel held out her hand for her niece. "We will go with Laireiel to the center, you go help your brother."

Elrohir nodded, and ran pell-mell toward the village, fighting the crowd that was heading in the exact opposite direction.

Once he arrived, he looked around for his brother, only to see him chasing after Legolas, who looked to be carrying some rope.

Elrohir glanced around, and saw that his aid was no longer necessary here, so he followed his twin and the Prince toward the shoreline.

Once he arrived, he saw that most of the boats were destroyed by the tremors, only one appeared to be intact, and as he watched, the dog leapt right into that one.

Legolas and Elladan followed, and so Elrohir prepared to do so as well.

Just as he reached the boat, a third tremor rocked Valinor, this one more violent than the other two combined.

Elrohir could not keep his feet, and collapsed to his knees, terrified as the very ground shook beneath him.

A large crack rent the earth behind him, cutting off any escape into the interior of the Island.

The ground began to crumble, and fall into the ocean around Elrohir, so he acted on pure instinct. Pulling the dagger from his boot, he cut the moorings of the boat, and leapt into it. Legolas and Elladan looked at him in shock, from where they had cornered the dog. As they turned to question him, waves from the earthquake, and falling debris pushed the boat away from the collapsing shoreline.

Elrohir rose, and looked back at what remained of Valinor.

Thick black smoke was rising from all over the island, blocking out the sun effectively.

As the ship sailed away toward Middle Earth, Elrohir couldn't help but wonder what had happened, and offered a fervent prayer to Eru for the safety of their friends and families as they sailed away helplessly from them.

~*~

*evil cackle*

We start OUT with a cliffie! WOOHOO!!!

Hang on tight folks, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List